Is there a language with more retarded, arbitrary pronunciation """rules""" than English?

Is there a language with more retarded, arbitrary pronunciation """rules""" than English?

>dear and deer are the same because???
>fear and tear, but bear and pear???
>blood and door but mood and poor
>sock and suck
>past tense of read is read (red) because???

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=ZSbigHMKvzU
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Get good you fucking faggot

why does mexico exist

>having a gendered language

Speaking of retarded and arbitrary...

English is a toddler-tier beginner language.
Doesn't excuse it for being a retarded language.

French

This. English is an absolutely stupid language.

>what is he and she

could be worse, could be speaking spanish

Because we didn't bother fully assimilating it.

>he doesn't pronounce beer and bear exactly the same

>Amerilard

"I went out with my friend"
What friend? Your male or female friend?

Meanwhile in Spanish we don't have that issue.
"I went out with my amigo(a)"
There.

Idk shy to insist with current alphabet. If English used only phonemes a lot of pronunciation issues would be trivial or disappear. But they choose the hard way...

Over the last few hundred years, English pronunciation has changed a lot, but the spelling wasn't updated to reflect those changes. There are even remnants of this in how we teach English in schools: we call the A in words like "late" a "long A", while the A in words like "cat" is said to be "short". The distinction today has nothing to do with vowel length, but these used to be the same vowel pronounced longer or shorter.

Verbs with unpredictable forms are a feature common to all Germanic languages. They're called "strong verbs", and some of their conjugations involve a vowel change rather than an ending change.

Better yet you, say their fucking name instead of friend

pære
pære
pære

maybe spanish is just a brainlet language

all languages which have articles like "the" "is" "a" and something like that is shit

>I went out with Sarah?
>What? Who's Sarah?

There's no reason to name someone if the person listening doesn't know his/her name.

What if there were more than two friends you cuck? Then you say amigos unless they were all women. But then do you mean they were all males or there were also females?

Who cares

All shibboleths to identify non-Anglos in times of war. Also checked.

Or you say a fitting word with fitting gender.
If you see some text in German where something fucked up, and you see an „-in“ at the end, you immideatly think "ah, that's why"

They're going to ask "What friend?" regardless
Might as well skip the arbitrary step in the conversation

Every civilized language has gender in it. I don't see the problem, after all it makes your language objectively superior to the language without it. Same goes for cases.

One ambiguous gender issue in dozens of rules about gender, now think that in English that problem is constant.

mood and poor and sock and suck don't sound the same, tho?

Amigos is plural. Plural is feminine

Based Uralic languages. That is what I love about Estonian. No gender bullshit, articles or future tense.

what if your friend is non-binary?

>Plural is feminine
By far the easiest thing about Deutsch

Literally the only instance where gender can be ambiguous in Spanish is when addressing 2 or more persons in plural and they're of mixed genders.

>sock and suck
What's wrong here?

I know. A perfect language is hard to master.

Pronunciation has diverged too much for a spelling reform to be both painless and useful. Writers from different countries, and even different regions of the same country, would spell differently if we spelled everything as it's pronounced.

etc.

This is a pointless discussion. Grammatical gender is not inherently good or bad; it just is. There are advantages and disadvantages to it.

>t. Russian who gets stumped by articles

You could argue that having genders for inanimate objects like a rock, a bed, or whatever is pointless, but not for people or stuff that needs its gender specified.

t. Fifth coloumn

The spelling was established without pronunciation ever being standardized. English has changed dramatically over time in comparison to Spanish.

>Perfect
Lel you have 6 words for 'the'. So pointless. Der and Die would be enough

Genderless objects having grammatical genders is unintuitive, but this can serve to disambiguate what a pronoun refers to (because a masculine pronoun cannot have a feminine referent).

>people or stuff that needs its gender specified
There is an implicit claim there that there exist nouns which _need_ their genders specified. What happens if you don't specify them? Finnish has absolutely no grammatical gender and they get by without issues, so "need" is not really accurate here.

I like how Russians skip the articles, it sounds cute.

Spanish has different dialects by country and despite different pronunciation and writing the differences are easy to tell, but in son languages dialects can change a lot according to the region, more than Spanish.

>Interview ==> Inerview
>Internet ==> Inernet
>International == Inernational (?)

Maybe if you like having a language where you speak like a drooling mentally challenged person.
Des Hauses
Dem Hause
Den Haus
Das Haus
Each one corresponds to their case.

Its because English was one of the first languages to get a dictionary and its hardly been updated. As retarded as it is though its accually an advantage. If it was phonetic than a Scottish person and an Australian and an American wouldn't be able to understand each other on the internet. Not just slang like now but spelling it wortah vs wahrder.

Japanese. almost every single kanji, let alone words, has more than 2 pronunciations in Japanese. Can there be any language whose pronunciation rules are more arbitrary and unpredictable than this? Also some of the pronunciation rules of the Korean language are so complicated ,unpredictable and often unsystematic as fuck too. It's hard to find a language whose pronunciation matches its spelling as much as Spanish.

His language has """rules"""

Lmao what a nerd. I'm just blessed that I naturally know English, because all the weird little quirks have interesting stories behind them. It must be so boring to have all the explanations behind your words be "because da rule book says'

The only case I can see in English is the
>Who
>Whom

>drooling mentally challenged person.
Dutch? Haha

>his language doesn't have completely random and unpredictable genders with no semantical meaning

What if you're not sure?

>What happens if you don't specify them?
Literally English.

>I have a cousin
>is it a boy or a girl?
That problem doesn't happen in Spanish.

However, English has gotten around some of those problems by making separate words.
>I have a brother/sister
With "sibling" being the ambiguous, genderless word.

I know, I speak Spanish. The differences don't really compare to the differences between English dialects.

Those aren't cases, English doesn't have cases except for possibly the genitive.
>spanish """"language"""" doesn't have separate words for grandfather(maternal) and grandfather(paternal)
>w-we're perfectly clear and unambiguous

>I'm just blessed that I naturally know English
Same. I also feel blessed to know English when I turn half my brain off

The only or best thing Spaniards did here was teaching their language, I can understand almost every word of regional words from Argentina to Spain without needing a dictionary or constantly asking for the meaning or writing.

Swedish and English are pretty much the same, bro.

No, you don't have random genders. "A" and "an" vary based on the first phoneme of the next word, not gender.

only americans do that

I know you're probably trying to be mean but that really is an advantage. Because it has so few rules and so many words, it's very flexible and things will still be understandable even if you use the wrong words in the wrong order. See - we can understand how the rest of the world speaks English

>This shit talking about genderless language as if they're the shit.
>tfw speaking language that genderless
Step up your game please, "hsilgnE"

What about the rest?
Anyway those sounds retarded.

>mfw this Indio is so buttblasted cause cannot speak english

>That problem doesn't happen in Spanish.
You're implying that it's a problem to have to ask someone's gender. I don't consider it a problem.

English, incidentally, has grammatical gender to a greater extent than Finnish does. Finnish has only one third-person singular animate pronoun, 'hän', which corresponds to 'he' and 'she' in English. This isn't a _problem_; it's just the way the language works. Natural languages didn't develop in some kind of global build-the-best-language competition. Grammatical gender wasn't developed in order to score points by fixing the "problems" of another language.

Any person fluent in English can understand how other people speak English. Just like I can understand the Spanish from any country.

Japanese katakana words are easy as fuck because they're just English words spoken in limited Japanese phonetics.

The difference here is that English is an incredibly basic and easy language to learn, so I don't know what you consider yourself to be "lucky" about. Being native in one of the easiest languages in the world to learn doesn't seem that great.

>Ett hus
>Huset
I like how that works
Can't be worse than the UK for 'water'
>Wah'uh
>wadder

The possessive case is all we have.
The Man('s) car

>Japanese katakana words are easy as fuck
Yeah sometimes

When will this meme die? What makes it easy? The easiness for you is because there would be a few similarities to English. The real reason it's "easy" to learn is because English totally saturates the world because it's lingua franca. There are no rules that consistently apply and plenty of arbitrary spellings - what's easy about that?

>Any person fluent in English can understand how other people speak English.
Not true. Certain accents in the UK tend to be very difficult for speakers from other countries to understand (and even other regions in the UK); these people usually make a conscious effort to switch to a more standard accent when they're not understood.

>English is an incredibly basic and easy language to learn
The ease or difficulty of learning a language is largely a function of how similar the language is to your native language. English is difficult for native speakers of Japanese, but very easy for native speakers of Swedish.

Yes, but whether it's "ett hus" or "en hus" is completely unpredictable, there are no rules or patterns.

Ah
I see

Not entirely true. Some words are unpredictable, but there are also some classes of nouns that are consistently common or neuter, like these:

normering(en), fäktning(en), lösning(en), parkering(en), …
måleri(et), bryggeri(et), mejeri(et), …

He is a little pretentious to no English-speaking Latinos. Sadly, they're not rare to find.

If I skip some phonemes and pronounce -ew, -ow, -aw like it's written, would you bother or consider it a grave mistake?

That depends on what you consider "like it's written". Use IPA or record yourself.

>den Haus

landstinget, uppsvinget, plinget, springet
serien, bakterien, materien, ferien, Liberien

My brain instinctively wanted to differentiate Akkusative and I didn't notice until I sent it :)
Akkusativ Neutrum ist hässlich

With the w being pronounced. Here is how it sounds in Spanish. youtube.com/watch?v=ZSbigHMKvzU

This is a naïve argument that only considers the definite forms of random nouns you picked. It ignores (1) the indefinite forms from which they're derived, (2) their pronunciation, or (3) their meaning.

"landsting" and "uppsving" are not nouns formed from the (imaginary) verbs "landsta" and "uppsva".
There is no such thing as a "bakteri" or a "Liberi".

I know how it sounds in Spanish. I want to hear you use it in English.

Unfortunately the answer is "it depends". I'd say as a rule of thumb, if you'd pronounce it differently because of your accent, then I wouldn't worry too much. If it's a proper noun you should try and do it as it's actually meant to be instead if what's written.

and* (3)
I was originally going to write something like "it doesn't take into account 1, 2, or 3" and changed it.