/who/ - Doctor Who General

Vincent and The Doctor Edition
Last time:

Other urls found in this thread:

twitter.com/GeorgeBaker26/status/847185062063980544
inews.co.uk/essentials/steven-moffat-i-dont-think-doctor-good/
radiotimes.com/news/2017-03-29/peter-capaldi-to-appear-on-the-graham-norton-show-to-discuss-his-decision-to-leave-doctor-who
youtube.com/watch?v=Iyi0pNbY7Qs
bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-38808070
youtube.com/watch?v=XUQnxo-IZEA
youtube.com/watch?v=WgG5V7LWaGs
youtube.com/watch?v=CePe_Pyjw1s
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Wow, it's been awhile.

I cried at this episode.
Not really cried, but was extremely close.
Overall pretty solid.

Well, depends on what you liked/disliked about Series 8.

Imo what makes it better are

>no boring coal hill shit
>capaldi is the main character in every episode
>all the two parters gave it a classic who feel

Honestly just watch a couple of episodes. If you aren't enjoying it then don't force yourself.

Chibnall had better fucking firebomb the writers room like JNT did. I don't want to see a single returning name.

>tfw JNT chad

Also, Missy being there without the season being Yet Another Master Arc was nice.

1:14 Minutes of relatively new Capaldi content
twitter.com/GeorgeBaker26/status/847185062063980544

SQUAD UP

I say this as someone who overall thought series 8 was a steaming pile of shit:

I personally loved the opening two-parter for series 9, but for whatever reason it gets shit on a lot.

In fact, I thought 9 was great across the board save for one episode (Sleep No More) so yeah definitely give it a watch.

This will not happen. If you comprehended the struggle that the showrunner has to go through every year just getting enough writers together who are both willing and available, you would not even conceive of it happening. Writers who are willing to come back for another year are like a blessing from God for the showrunner (plus they already know what it's like writing for the show), and Chibnall is unlikely to reject multiple-time contributors like Mathieson should they offer their services.

You're better off with The Space Museum desu

Reminder Gatiss had a difficult childhood

I liked the opener too. Capaldi and Bleach were GOAT.

Besides the fact that there is no writers room…

One of the first things JNT did was bring back Terrance Dicks and get him to update one of his old scripts that hadn't made it under Hinchcliffe.

And he gave his opener to Williams' favourite writer David Fisher.

And then he went looking to bring back Peter Grimwade, Robert Holmes, and Terry Nation, as soon as they were willing to return.

And he unsuccessfully lobbied the BBC to let him hire Chris Boucher and other previous Who writers who were currently involved with Blake's 7.

I don't keep up with news for this show when it isn't airing

Is there a new head writer/new doctor this season? Or is that change happening for the 11th season?
Better question: Is this season going to be any good?

I don't even like the show that much, but I love this scene.

What's this I'm hearing about a Sylvester Mccoy ten minute racist rant in a Tescos checkout line?

Some nice stuff from the Moff

inews.co.uk/essentials/steven-moffat-i-dont-think-doctor-good/

This season is Moffat's last as head writer, and Capaldi's last as Doctor.

Chris Chibnall takes over as showrunner for the last two lines of the Christmas special, and presumably the new Doctor (who hasn't been announced yet, and probably hasn't even been cast) will be saying those two lines.

>is that change happening for the 11th season
Yes
>Better question: Is this season going to be any good?
No

Pretty sure that's a meme of some sort.

The changeover is after Christmas.
This season looks ok but we haven't heard that much about it so we don't really know. It sounds like it might appeal to people who disliked the previous two seasons.

radiotimes.com/news/2017-03-29/peter-capaldi-to-appear-on-the-graham-norton-show-to-discuss-his-decision-to-leave-doctor-who

>"Ultimately, Sherlock is “the story of two blokes – what am I supposed to do with that? Make one of them a woman? We chose not to do that.”"

Tbh Series 8 was better during the leaks when we didn't know much about it.
The rest of the episodes (Mummy Flatline aside) were really disappointing.

>My kids don’t understand the concept of linear scheduled TV

Autism?

Looks like Captain John caught the JUST off Captain Jack.

>"I'm sorrrrry nick, I know it's not politically corrrrrrrrect, but I've neverrrr carrrrrred for Afrrrrrrrricans".

>“Just choose the best person for the job and any other agenda, however worthy, should be ignored. It has to be the best person for the Doctor Chris is writing for
I don't think he's putting this the right way to quiet the press down and get them to focus on what he wants them to focus on.

He should remind everyone that he originally wanted almost the opposite of Matt Smith, and was already trying to persuade the BBC that an older Doctor was a great idea, when he saw Matt and suddenly realized exactly how he could write him as the Doctor and changed all his plans.

If you want to find an actor to fit your preconceived notion of a character, go make a movie, not a TV serial with a rotating cast. If you want to write for Doctor Who, look at everyone and then pick whoever inspires you to write for them.

GOAT Capaldi moments?

When he whistled "we don't need no education" at Clara in the Caretaker

Was that foreshadowing for the Guitar?

Roberts Pottery

Do not believe this foolish, TRICKERYYY!

Laughed harder than I should have desu

the part where he was like Yeah I'm old as phuck but look how cooooooool I still am!

Fuck, i don't even like dr who, but this episode is one of the few things that will always get me choked up

10/10 final scene. helps that it wasn't shot like shit as most of the series looks to be

I think S9 was really well shot, apart from The Woman Who Lived

I agree, but did it make anyone else mad that the happy ending obviously never happened IRL?

The blocking and bland ass camera shots were god awful.
I'm not looking for cinematic kino shit in doctor who, but enough of constant over-the-shoulder cut to other character over-the-shoulder dialogue.

Not season 9 (I don't think?) but the scene with Capaldi asking Clara to sit down with him on the tardis steps to ask if he's a good man is some of the laziest looking camera work in the history of TV.

We need another Douglas Camfield eh?

that was bean wheatley
also this fanmade track is GOAT
youtube.com/watch?v=Iyi0pNbY7Qs

No because the Doctor and Amy Pond do not exist in real life either.

>It's a Billie Piper needs a solid job so she decides to buff Phoebe HYPE after goes full SJW after losing her job and killing Penny Dreadful for being a SJW Frankstein pimp episode

>"Former companion Billie Piper told the BBC it would "feel like a snub" if the role went to another man - but would Phoebe be able to squeeze the Tardis in around time on the Millennium Falcon now she's started filming the new Star Wars Han Solo movie?"

bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-38808070

Lies.

holy shit, the bit at 2:21 is GOATTTTT

To be fair, DW is one of the biggest mainstays of television history, certainly of British television history. The show deserves to have some good production values but it feels like such a half assed low-budget sci fi show 99% of the time (Which I guess is what some of the charm was originally from)

>tfw rrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrreading that in his voice

Yeah, but Vincent Van Gogh did, and his real life was incredibly shit, and ... the ending kinda relied on the idea his life had been fixed in fantasy, right? It's a genuine question, but I thought it was the same problem with "Let's Kill Hitler."

3:35 !!!!!!!

Moff's era is a huge step up, visually, from the last 50 years. HD and a vast array of new directors have really boosted the quality. Which would be great... if the basic shit like production and writing were any good to start with.

Can you stop shilling your channel? Thanks and fuck offerino

youtube.com/watch?v=XUQnxo-IZEA

>implying Moffat's writing isn't good

/who/ ranks who doesnt lie.

What? The episode ends on a very bitter sweet note. It relies on the viewer realizing that Van Gogh's life was miserable for him, even if he had a few fun moments here and there- That's literally the point of 11's speech in the final scene

It got very cinematic for most of series 5 & 6, then just kind of went back to being a show with low-budget sets, costumes and no risks

Fuck off.

Moff's has been hit and miss, but mostly above average. Shame a lot of other writers in his era have been below average or downright piss poor.

No.

:)

youtube.com/watch?v=WgG5V7LWaGs

>low-budget sets

>the ending kinda relied on the idea his life had been fixed in fantasy, right?
Well, the ending does go out of its way to point out that his life wasn't 'fixed'. He still committed suicide. They just added some good things to his life, which were unique to their interactions with him, and ended up having unique results i.e. the addition to the sunflowers painting.

Have we done one of these for 2017 yet?

>It got very cinematic for most of series 5 & 6, then just kind of went back to being a show with low-budget sets, costumes and no risks
Completely agreed. Series 7, visually, looked glossy but the direction was, for the most part, pretty uninspired.

Series 8 was all over the place, and felt cheap. Series 9 the same. Talalay is the only director who truly stands out, but her S8 finale stuff is poor compared to S9.

Well, I meant more the fact that he never got to saw his art become a success, and the ending basically was - all your pain and suffering has meaning, because ultimately, it produces work of astounding beauty - when IRL, he died before he ever knew that, and I felt that was the source of the emotion in that scene.

I think we decided not to do one since there was nothing last year. Might as well wait until Series 10 is over.

We'll do it early in 2018 I'd think, after the Christmas special.

youtube.com/watch?v=CePe_Pyjw1s

>Might as well wait until Series 10 is over.

And not RIGHT after too. Wait for the Redditors and GBfags to leave.

That IS cheap. The room is just from a rented out tobacco plant.

I'm the opposite, I tend to like the stuff done by other writers more than Moff's own stuff. Episodes like Amy's Choice, the Girl Who Waited, The Doctor's Wife etc are the ones I treasure.

But then, Moff probably had a hand in re-writing them, so I don't even know what to think.

I know. But you said Series 5 didn't have low budget sets. That's why I posted.

TDW was definitely heavily rewritten by SteMo. Don't think the other two were.

God, Series 5 feels like a LIFETIME AGO

Sorry. Not the user you were responding to. I'm also retarded, I guess.

Post low budget episodes

Ahhh, yeah, I can dig it. Been a long time since I last watched, to be fair, but that sounds cool. Still like the episode, had a lot of fun with it.

I met him saturday at a con.
He seemed nice, but since he was in a shitty con in France shilling for his new comedy show I guess that things are not going well for him.
Still, he seemed genuinly gentle.

the end of partners in crime where 10 saves the day on a computer in the basement

i think RTD wasted the budget on the adipose.

Sometimes low budget works.

Boom Town

But low budget isn't always bad. BT was so damn comfy

See also: Midnight & Blink

The Edge of Destruction

"hey guys we have 2 episodes to fill and literally no money"
"no prob. we can use the tardis set and, uh, this pair of scissors."
"perfect"

I couldn't say what budget The Mind Robber 01 actually was, but it was a literal filler episode set in a blank void.

The Twin Dilemma

"hey guys lets introduce an unlikeable doctor at the very end of the current doctors series to give viewers a taste of sixiepie"

"ok but wont they then spend the next year waiting for the series thinking he's a total cunt?"

"lalalalala not LISTENING"

"and we literally ran out of budget"

"THE TWIN DILEMMA IT SHAL BE CALLED AND THOU SHALL MAKETH IT"

With robot costumes borrowed from a different show!

So, probably cast and production wages plus the cost of borrowing a few props?

This is one of my favorite episodes of Doctor Who too. Low budget doesn't have to mean shit, but so often it's synonymous

time and the rani

"alien forest? no, have this quarry down the road"
"luxurious alien club? no, have this tatty set that Top of the Pops probably rejected"
"expansive laboratory? no, have 3 walls and a table"

listen doesnt have plot
listen doesnt have conflict
it could work for any sci fi series ever who is ok with slow character developement and nothing happening but a philosophy

good doctor who requires a PLOT

time flight

Cute.

Okay.

Woman Who Lived actually feels pretty cheap

One monster costume, some woods, a room full of bookshelves, quite a talky episode, etc.

love and monsters

I'm serious
There is no danger, no conflict, no anything
Doctor just hangs out in a TARDIS and thinks WHAT IF THERE ARE INVISIBLE CREATURES
And piece of Clara's life gets along with this context, resulting in a twist

Alright.

So this episode didnt work for me, and I'm convinced that it's HIGHLY overrated. It's experimental, I understand, but does this experimental status allows it to be slow paced and leading to nothing? I dont think so.

Underworld is the best example of a story completely ruined by a ridiculously low budget.

Mind Robber is the best example of a story not at all ruined by a ridiculously low budget.

Part of it is obviously the skill of the people involved, but I think it's also partly that Underworld had too many ideas that all had to get in there or the whole story falls apart, while Mind Robber had one big idea and countless little things you could hang off that idea, so whatever is doable will work.

I'm guessing you're talking about Listen? It fucking sucks.