How the fuck do americans get around?

how the fuck do americans get around?

the fact that railways aren't popular there is beyond me. how else will you get from, say.. los angeles to phoenix, arizona??

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/mbEfzuCLoAQ
youtu.be/eDbNGMIosVU
en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rail_transport_in_France
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Post-glacial_rebound
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

avion

get shot in LA and respawn in Phoenix

You take a plane.

that's fucking stupid

>driving takes 5h 30m
>public transport takes over 9h and only has a few departures per day

>how else will you get from, say.. los angeles to phoenix, arizona??

We have Amtrak trains from LA to Phoenix, costs around $100, but you can do it in half the time in a car, of fly

>of fly

*or fly
flying would be most expensive, and not much faster than car

Yeah that's a drivable distance, and airplanes are also an alternative. Would probably be nice to take the plane but doesn't seem so difficult. Isn't really day trip distance in Europe either.

Would probably be nice to take the train I mean.
And only the fastest trains can do that distance in a competitive time frame.
Don't know if there's much population in between for the trains to serve, could possibly be a market there for high speed rail I don't know

In our fastest trains you can go 100 miles per hour, pretty slow compared to Europe

If we had high speed trains we would use them

>and not much faster than car

depends on the current tower situation desu

Is there rail there? And is it well suited for faster trains if you wanted to? Or would it be cheap to upgrade? Or would it require rebuilding everything? In any case, looks like much of the area is really flat so shouldn't be that expensive to build.

The other problem is what to do when traveling to train stations, is it easy to get around the city without a car? If you need a car at your destination anyway it's probably easier to just drive all the way.

Looks like the distance has great potential for fast trains, but depends on a lot of things

I don't know what we need to upgrade to go faster, either the trains or the rails. Rails go almost everywhere for freight trains.

Most train stations in big cities will have buses leaving from them, and parking lots

underrated post

ROADTRIP

We actually enjoy having adventures across our landscape

They get delayed because of freight trains
youtu.be/mbEfzuCLoAQ

no u

having your own personal car. its very exhausting to drive especially if you don't like it a lot like I do

i have to drive a while just to get to any place of interest other than groceries. my area isn't that developed so the roads are just pitch black from street light to street light after the sun goes down

>los angeles to phoenix, arizona
>takes 5h by car but 9h by train
jesus christ, this is retarded

>how the fuck do americans get around?
They thank their Jew God for the possibility to buy a cage, fuel for the cage and the infrastructure for the cage.

youtu.be/eDbNGMIosVU

Meanwhile even India is getting high speed trains. America is a joke.

You fly. the only place where train would be even remotely viable is the northeast corridor and we already have trains there

>Is there rail there?
Passenger trains have to use freight rails and that's expensive as hell. There's just not a market for it because the interior of the country is sparsely populated.

The lack of trains in the U.S. comes down to several factors.

The U.S. is not dense enough for trains to be profitable except in very specific regions. Areas such as San Fran to LA or the northeast corridor. However, even those regions have challenges: tall mountains that require outrageous tunnels in California and incredible property prices in the northeast.

Second, most countries subsidize their rail or it is a national corporation. The US does have the Amtrak but for them to be effective they would need an extremely large budget that would require correspondingly large taxes. And considering how trains account for less than %10 travel even in a place such as France that high cost doesn’t seem worth subsidizing.

en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rail_transport_in_France

Finally cars and planes are at the heart of American culture. We invented the car for the everyman and we invented the plane. We used them both to win WW2 and they supplied us with economic and military dominance in the post-war world. These forms of transportation also speak to an American sense of independence in a way that trains just can’t.

They had a huge lobby against trains in the 70's i believe

Well, their government had already poured millions into a top notch highway system during WWII, so at that point maintaining a highway AND a railroad system at the same time, when a highway is easier to maintain and more versatile, is not the greatest idea
We have the same problem. Except around the massive clusterfucks that are cities, and there's lots of traffic, people don't use trains, so there's less money going to them, so they can't go past 60kmh because the railroads are utterly shagged, and so less people take the train, and you get the idea.

>los angeles to phoenix, arizona
That's driving distance, just get on the 10 and turn your brain off for 6 hours.

Amtrak doesn't even run through Phoenix, you'd need to take a bus up to Flag and I'm pretty sure after adding that busride it'd be more expensive than just flying.

Hey I just saw the Amtrak last night when I got off work
t. Flagstaff

Maricopa and Tucson both have stations

Right now I’m driving to New Orleans from Dallas, eight hour drive (poor college student can’t afford plane).

A train would be nice but roadtripping is fun in its own way.

Pic related is me rn

>that's fucking stupid

Do you understand how much larger the US is than European countries? It is 2400 kilometers from Amsterdam around where you live to Moscow. Would you take a train instead of flying to Moscow?

That's 300 km shorter than the distance from LA to NY.

When the seas start rising all that extra space we have will come in handy. Euros will all be crammed in a little box.

I didn't even know there was a station in Maricopa. Doesn't look like there's any parking there though so you'd need someone to drop you off, otherwise the busride down there brings it up to flying cost.

Because of our glorious interstate system.

>When the seas start rising ...
... Florida is gone.

>Meanwhile even India is getting high speed trains. America is a joke.

>Using rail in an area with low population density when functional roads and airports exist.
Yeah that two car train sounds real efficient and cost effective. Not to mention it still would be slower than a plane.

We do have acela in the NE but it only goes 150mph.

>... Florida is gone.
That's not a bad thing.

Texas is trying to get a shinkansen which may or may not happen because reasons
Meanwhile California is hiring the Chinese company that built the trains that killed hundreds of people several years ago

Good luck Hans!

LA to Phoenix is only about a six hour drive, so that would be the obvious choice. Flying would also be an option, but it would be less convenient.
You're right though, trains should be more popular. Bar cars are great.

>ameutomaticans
xDD

Lets just build passenger lines through massive mountain ranges when we have perfectly good highways

We would be the last country to flood actually.

>Belaruse
>still landlocked
every tiem

Give Lukashenko Kaliningrad and free them from their landlockedness

>tfw no rail system like japan
i've gone too /n/ over the years

>DC and NYC are now under the reign of Cthulhu

That's not a bad thing

>London is gone
FINE BY ME

Indeed, a car speaks to the American sense of independence. So much so that suburbia is specifically designed with cars in mind, where you need to burn a liter of gas to get a liter of milk rather than walk to one of the three supermarkets within walking distance in your average European city. Because only the poor walk or ride a bike, a true independent MAYN drives everywhere.

Unbelievable that so many Americans actually fell for the automobile propaganda connecting cars to liberty and being American. No wonder you guys laugh at "SMALL EUROPEAN/JAPANESE CARS" while pumping so much CO2 into the atmosphere you're giving China a run for their money.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Post-glacial_rebound
wont happen.

There are dozens of industries, namely farming and trans-oceanic shipping, that contribute far more to greenhouse gasses than our cars ever will.

Our cities, regardless of whether people live in suburbs or not, are simply not close enough to foster meaningful long-distance rail travel. If the cities were more dense there could perhaps be more light rail within them but that wouldn’t suddenly move the city centers closer together. That means for the everyman to cheaply travel long-distance in the United States he must use a car. No American ever has any difficulty traveling anywhere within the U.S. because of how practically the car conforms with the geography of the United States.

>There are dozens of industries, namely farming and trans-oceanic shipping, that contribute far more to greenhouse gasses than our cars ever will.
And which do you think is easier to cut back on?
>Farming
You can hardly ask people to eat less (well, maybe Americans...)
>trans-oceanic shipping
You can hardly ask people to stop desiring necessary and/or affordable products from overseas
>cars
You CAN however adjust city planning to encourage walking and cycling quite easily. I'm not even talking about using more trains or whatever, I know America's geography isn't suited to that in most places, but pure city design. Density doesn't even matter when in Yurop, even minor villages have at least one supermarket within walking village. Hell, I live in some fucking armpit and I have two supermarkets within 5 minutes walking distance, and another to 20 minutes away. Meanwhile, over here stripmalls are only really a thing for shops that sell furniture and tools.

How can one boy be this mad

I know right.

I don't get why Europeans can't understand that we have a significantly lower population density than them.

You would think it would be a fairly simple concept to absorb.

You're forgetting the biggest source of pollution - the military

So you walk to the store and I drive a car. I guarantee we both get to the store in the same amount of time. The amount of money I pay for gas is a pittance.

I don’t think you’re getting off any better than we are. It’s not like you Europeans even talk to each other when you make your walk or ride public transport.

It's because there are 323 million Americans
Germany has like 80 million and is roughly the size of Texas, while Texas has a population of like 27 million

Honestly, I wish Trump would heavily invest in our nation's infrastructure. I admire other countries' rail systems because they seem clean and efficient. Even though we have a great interstate system, we also need to revitalize it.

you cant belittle with that
india is very train dependent
you only made fun of yourself

that really isn't an excuse though
We had better rail systems at a time when population density was even lower than it is now

I would love it if we could restructure our cities to encourage walking, cycling, and transit. But barring trillions of dollars of demolition and reconstruction, it ain't gonna happen. The only answer for us is liposuction and self driving electric cars.

Ah yes, I forgot Euros are incapable of planning and go to the store 10 times a week buying one item each time.

It would be cars and planes, no doubt. I don't know how cheap airfare is over in the states, but here in aus it's cheap as dirt. I can fly from qld to fucking perth for like $150. Hell, I've seen advertisements in the double digits.
Fuels also cheap too if you time it right. If I fuel up in the middle of a working day I can save well over 20cents/litre. The fluctuation in prices here is crazy. I can only imagine the Americans get an even cozier deal.

Like as already mentioned in the thread, trains simply aren't feasible in huge, low density countries.

Airplane, renting or owning a car, buses and bikes

>Planes which fly at 550MPH and can take any direct route without needing physical infrastructure

>Or train that can go maybe 180Mph on perfect straightaways and needs physical infrastructure and usually doesn't make direct routes so they tend to go out of the way to go to other stops

HMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM

Aeroplano

Not driving manual