What was the last "original" film you saw?

What was the last "original" film you saw?

Not a sequel, not a reboot/remake, not a live action remake, not based off of a popular intellectual property etc.

The existence of this movie makes me extremely angry

I loved Life when it was called Mission to Mars

in a valley of violence

its a amalgam of like 10 different movies and you think thats original?

Get Out

A Cure For Wellness, one of my favorite movies of the last decade and nobody saw it. It's going to be one of those movies I rewatch every few years.

It Follow, probably. Been awhile.

Get out my nig

I knew this comment was coming.
Thats why I put "original" in quotes. Because you can argue all day that nothing is original and everything is stolen. What I mean by "original" is what I put in my first post. Not sequels, reboots/remakes or something based off a popular IP. So Life may take from other movies but its still "original" by not being a known IP.

Greasy Strangler

Split

Oh wait...

Split, yesterday

I've been really looking forward to this since I like Verbinsky and Mousehunt, but can't seem to find it in theatres, or online.

Life is original in that it's not based on a comic book or anything but not original as in story. It's pretty much Aliens + Gravity.

I also watched the most recent Half in the Bag

Hell or high water

Life, went in with low expectations and came out pleasantly surprised, like one of the lower tier but still entertaining Twilight Zone episodes.

Yeah they were right, I saw it in theaters and said "this is like aliens but idc" and when they started doing to stupid camera angles stuff I was reminded of gravity.

I haven't ever seen hypnotism body snatching before, so I agree.

This is the most recent but I hope it's not the last.

It was way too long. The sex scene was pretty cool though

The worst part was having pretend that the girl was attractive enough for some guy to do all that shit for.

Not that I'd call zombies an original concept.

>Life
>"""""original"""""
I get what you mean though

Independence Day. It still holds up to this day and that makes me so happy

Demolition Man

Kino

Hour of the Wolf

This kino was fucking excellent. Should have gotten more attention

I want a film from the nazi soldiers perspective. I'm sick of all the bullshit Americans are the heroes and save the day from typical Nazi bad guy crap.

disappointing. can we not have another movie like sunshine?

A V A T A R

>inb4 the 3rd act was shit

No. It's Alien + Gravity.

i rewatched
>Hardcore Henry
and
>He never died
last weekend (tho the last one has some Bible references)

what movie would be like Aliens + Gravity?

>Hardcore Henry
Headache:the movie

Watched Holy Motors two days ago.
But in theatre wise I would have to say The Neon Demon.

Split, Brimstone, La-La-Land, The Lobster.

Oh, Split is a sequel. I forgot.

Not the most recent but this one stands out as being pretty good. Probably not gonna get a sequel either cause it only just made a profit up againsnt Civil War and Neighbors 2. Should have done much better though.

Is this scifi kino?

Not possible. Everything in some minor manner has taken from another. You start going into vague dot points of information if you want to find similarities. And then you end up boiling down a 90 minute movie into a 1 minute oral tradition of the simple plot/character points.

Arrival. It sucked.

Couldn't find it in theaters and I can't find it online without going to sketchy virus sites.

Why is Ryan Reynolds even in the poster? His character was hardly important and died first.

I watched this on a transatlantic flight not too long ago. I really enjoyed it.

Does The Seige of Jadotville count?

What is half in the bag?
If its Eceleb shit dont reply.

I thought it was way too long to mantain tension and the eel/cult was preposterous.

On the bright side it means Shane Black is still good at what he does and you can look forward to anything with his name on it in the future.

It's gotten to the point where I just look for any positives I can in this shitty industry

OPs photo answered this for me

Looking forward to the Predator? Weird choices in the cast but I'm hoping for the best

Like I said: if someone tells me Shane is involved, I'm going to give it a chance. Predators did leave a scar though, I have to admit

Not that user, I would have already dismissed the Predator movie with that casting if not for Shane Black directing. If someone can make it work its him.

Movie really should have been in a higher FPS.

Nothing yet this year.

These are the original films I watched last year, in order of how much I enjoyed them:
>La La Land
>Sausage Party
>Swiss Army Man
>Midnight Special
>Don't Breathe
>Personal Shopper
>Hail, Caesar!
>Office Christmas Party
>Dirty Grandpa

I THINK those are all original IP. Correct me if I'm wrong. I also excluded anything based on a true story e.g. Loving.

Keanu. It had a kitty

Just rewatched this
I enjoyed it, the same way I enjoy stuff like Van Helsing and Dracula Untold

You genuinely enjoyed La La Land?

>Sausage Party that high

Yeah, I really loved it. Felt good the entire time I watched it.
I gave it a 9/10, and the only reason I didn't give it a perfect score was that Gosling and Stone weren't phenomenal singers.

I guess I can see folks' issues with it since it's been a few months since I watched it and I've heard everyone's opinions now, but the couple hours I was in the cinema I really enjoyed myself immensely. I doubt I'll purchase it on Blu-ray or watch it again any time soon, but it was a great movie-going experience.

Eh. It aimed to make people laugh. I laughed.

adriana?

Literally John Carter of Mars.

No, fair play to you, I'm not judging at all - I just hated it. But I work from the philosphy if you hate something THAT much then logic says others much REALLY like it for the same reasons.

Have to confess Sausage Party wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. It was suitably unpretentious: you know who was behind it, you know what they do and more fool you if you go to see it and expect anything else.

Captain Fantastic

i'll bite. if La La Land is a 9/10, what's Sausage Party and Dirty Grandpa?

just cause they said it doesnt make them wrong

Sausage Party 7, Dirty Grandpa 6, La La Land 8

It sounds like you watch movies for watching movies's sake. Good for you. It's all entertainment at end of the day.

How's Captain Fantastic? I wanted to see it but it didn't get a huge release here (Australia). Also checked.

>9/10 La La Land
>8/10 Sausage Party
>8/10 Swiss Army Man
>7/10 Midnight Special
>7/10 Don't Breathe
>6/10 Personal Shopper
>6/10 Hail, Caesar!
>2/10 Office Christmas Party
>1/10 Dirty Grandpa

Were my ratings.

>Dirty Grandpa

>DeNiro's character starts laughing at the as fuck voice of the black guy
>''Is it because I'm black?''
>''Yeah that too, but you're also really gay''

10/10 desu

Well it's based off a book but it's not that popular so I think it qualifies your standards.

Nice drama with wonderful cinematography and a good twist that I'm not gonna spoil to give my user fellas a chance to try it out.

Watched lock, stock and two smoking barrels while I was eating breakfast.

No, not really.
Solid film though.

Was this any good? Thinking about hating the kinoplex to see it

It was shit

Recently:

Swiss Army Man
The Witch
I Am Not a Serial Killer
Arrival
Don't Breathe
The Lobster
Nocturnal Animals
The Greasy Strangler
The Neon Demon
The Wailing

Off the top of my head.

Probably some Wachowski garbage. They're so hacks nobody offers them scripts anymore so they have to come up with their own disaster.

>late 50s
>60s
>70s
>early 80s

>the peak of film with endless high quality original films from all over the globe with some of the best actors, directors and cinematographers all doing what they love

>instead of watching these you complain about modern gabarge

Disagree to agree I guess but I thought that movie was just mediocre at best.

It did had premise interesting,decent acting, and wonderful cinematography like you said.

Though all that is wasted for bad teen romance and execution of the plot is underwhelming that I just couldn't feel anything with the 'twist' with the brother.

The style of gravity is a recent trend and only a couple involve aliens. So none that I know of

>Hello fellow kids, don't you just love original IPs?

Ryan Reynolds looks like a young Chevy Chase in that poster.