Holy fuck, that movie was good

Holy fuck, that movie was good

If you never saw it you should .

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=8XOV2L-eM38
youtube.com/watch?v=-kR2dokH6-Y
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Picked it up on bluray recently. Still Miyazaki's best imo

Saw it for the first time the other night and it was incredible. Spirited Away and Kiki's Delivery Service remain my favorites, though.

Porco Rosso is for patricians only.

Anyone else thought it was just okay? Maybe I was too hyped up for it.

everyone says this is good which is why im never going to watch it

same reason i havent watched NGE

worst ghibli

Great film, easily in the top3 Ghibli/Miyazaki films. Music especially is GOAT.
youtube.com/watch?v=8XOV2L-eM38

>Kiki's Delivery Service

This, and 'A Girl That Leapt Through Time' are my top 2 animekinos.

Nausicaa is infinitely better, nice try though

it's good as far as animes go

as a film it's entirely mediocre

Subbed or dubbed ?

definitely one of those films you have to kind of discover on your own time.

>LOVE spirited away
>love monoke
>love totoro
>can't bring myself to watch any of his other movies
any suggestions?

Dub is fine, only Billy Bob fucks it up

Castle in the Sky

Nausicca

Definitely watch NausicaƤ of the Valley of the Wind, Castle in the Sky and Howl's Moving Castle.

You're an autist if you're afraid to watch a movie by a director you like. Indulge yourself

Essential Ghibli-kino
>NausicaƤ
>Laputa
>Porco Rosso
>Only Yesterday
>Kiki
>Mononoke
>The Wind Rises
>Princess Kagyua

Poko rosso is ghibli's finest work.

I watched it with a friend and they fell asleep halfway through, but I was pretty much glued to it. On the other hand I thought Castle in the Sky was borderline unwatchable and preferred Nadia (which was like Gainax's version).

Can anyone tell me what the FUCK this was about?

I don't watch kids shows.

this

grow the fuck up op, nobody here watches cartoons

Agreed. It a little overstuffed and can be dull at parts. Decent flick though.

Promoting a medicore fantasy novel while giving salary to Miyazaki's son.

I've seen it and it is good. Gonna show it to my "significant friend" sometime soon. I wanted to today, but she's not feeling well enough after her surgery yet and just wants to rest.

Not that Sup Forums cares about my life.

This, also Miyazaki molests little kids in his studio's basement.

I can't respect a man likethat.

Easily top 3 Ghibli, but what is #1

What's Sup Forums's favourite Ghibli movies from directors other than Miyazaki? Grave of the Fireflies is very highly regarded, but I don't see many people talk about Only Yesterday or From Up on Poppy Hill.

I literally cannot watch animated kiddy stuff anymore. Is it really that good? Like, would you vow with your mother's life?

it's breddy gud

What's everyone's thoughts on Howl's Moving castle?

Pinnacle of fantasy kino.

Tale of Princess Kaguya was amazing.

i have all the ghibli movies stored on my dvr for the last 2 years and yet have to watch them

havent seen this one but Spirited Away and Howl's Moving Castle are. These movies really capture the feeling of being a kid. And not in a tryhard XD kind of way. Like you remember how much more mysterious and whimsical the world seemed when you were a kid? Thats how these movies make you feel.

Anime is fucking gay, no thanks

Man fuck off

Spirited Away was better and is the ultimate animated movie imo

>you will never watch all the ghibli movies for the first time ever again

ignore him, he has been shitposting in every thread regarding anime/animated films for the last 3 years.

I've only seen My Friend Totoro and Kiki's Delivery Service. My wife introduced me to those. I hadn't watched anything animated as an adult until then. We were actually talking about watching the rest of Miyazaki's stuff a few days ago (been about six years since she showed me the other two).

Where should we start? She won't watch Spirited Away or whatever the horse one is. She has something against movies about horses (even though we have three on our farm) . What is the best Miyazaki? Many say it's this one.

no horse dies in any ghibli movie so whats the deal with the autism?

I think the scenery is beautiful, the fantasy elements are interesting but not overly kooky, and it's the only 'man vs nature' fantasy allegory that actually makes a case for human development instead of the usual Hollywood "d00d all humanz r evil lmao" treehugging nonsense.

You actually nailed it. Knowing that the horse doesn't die I can probably talk her into it. Animated or otherwise, she can't handle seeing animals die.

just follow the chronology of release,

Laputa, mononoke, spirited away and porco rosso is probably the best ones.

Also watch castle of cagliostro, pretty much a ghibli film made by the same gys before the studio was founded.

IIRC there aren't any horses in Spirited Away. Quite a lot of animals die in Princess Mononoke, mostly wild boar and wolves.

mononoke might be the hardest watch as a fair amount of animals dies in that film, but in that movie they are conscious beings so they are more human than poor unwilling animal casually killed off.

Honestly, Spirited away, Laputa, and Howls moving castle are the best. There's quite a few other good ones which I'm sure will be mentioned in here though.

He's probably confusing it with Spirit

I love studio ghibli but I don't rate princess mononoke at all. The princess is fucking annoying for a start. Great intro and soundtrack but downhill from there besides a few scenes.

The Wind Rises is my personal favourite

also

Princess Mononoke > Spirited Away

Porco Rosso is my favourite.

Only Yesterday is my hidden Ghibli gem. It's super slow but comfy and I love the characters and their interactions. It's probably the most candid/natural anime I've seen, true slice-of-life.

cool visuals and themes but a narrative mess

>watched Poppy Hill for the first time with my 5yo daughter
>had to have a long talk about incest
Not one of my favs desu

You should watch When Marnie Was There with her next.

it's actually fucking shit

>oo yess you rike it now here take this anime sludge monster the size of a skycraper uguu kawaii

fucking dweebs

porco rosso is good, this and the other one with sludge monster anime shit are shit

I'll try to, he's a asshole

>My wife
>She has something against movies about horses (even though we have three on our farm) .

Your wife sounds cool. Like she has a personality and quirks like a real person and shit.

Watch War Horse with her she will love it

Anyone actually enjoyed this wreck of a movie? I found it absolutely excruciating to watch. The pacing is all over the place and the characters weren't believable or sympathetic at all. I get that Miyazaki wanted to portray it all through a kids' imagination or w/e but it doesn't fucking work as a movie imo. Maybe if I was a legit braindead or a stoner I'd manage through it

>From Up on Poppy Hill
I dont know, it was just underwhelming with no real resolution at the end. Here's some kids in post war japan an they have this old clubhouse that is about to be demolished but they spend all this time renowating it so some high up politican cancels the demolision and the protagonist have a father that never came home from the war and nothing really happens and he is in little or no way bothered by this fact.

Everything is just up front with nothing underneath it, no conflict between the teenagers, between the parents and the children or the teachers or students.

Nothing really happens in it.

I watched all studio Ghibli movies, but Howl's Moving Castle is my all time favourite.
I actually cried a few times watching it the first time.

The Deer God scenes were pure kino.

Ocean Waves desu, but Only Yesterday is fantastic too, especially the feeling in all the flashback sequences.

CUTE spirits

kek

This. It's not castle in the sky

This, absolute kino.

>Ayy but Big Hero 6 was better

t. Academy voters

I don't remember anything from this movie except getting a raging hard on from some dumpy looking titcow in a bathrobe.

Spirited Away was good, though.

Whisper of the heart > When Marnie was there > Porco rosso > Nausicaa > Laputa > Only Yesterday > Mononoke > Spirited Away > Totoro > Howls moving castle > The Wind Rises

in my opinion

The soundtrack and shit is so fucking good in Mononoke. At first I thought it was good, but not my fav. Then I went back to it and have a whole new appreciation for it. It's amazing.

Ah need Bullets. AHm jus a pig. Ah need bullets.

youtube.com/watch?v=-kR2dokH6-Y

My dudes.

shut up bitch

i actually really enjoyed ponyo, but i went into it having heard everyone shit on it, so my expectations were quite low

>Second part of Journey Of the West leading up to the second climax.
I get goose gumps every time. Working on a remake of a live performance that was fucking spot on perfect, but lacked sizeable orchestra and stereo sound, but getting there.

sounds like a dumb fucking excuse for a shitty movie

Joe Hiehashi is up there on my list with Ennio Morricone, James Horner, Elliot Goldenthal

heres a (You)

I watched everything Ghibli in a span of 4-5 days and Porco Rosso was the most memorable.

All these environmentalist hippie movies sort of blended together into a grey mess.

Maybe binge watching it all was a bad idea.

I stopped reading that novel 5 pages in.

Did anybody watch Ronja, The Robber's Daughter? It's pretty comfy. Directed by Miyazaki's son.

Alway subbed. Why do you people keep asking this question?

It's a movie, and it's not for children. Not exclusively anyway, and certainly not in the American sense.

It isn't a cartoon.

>Nothing really happens in it.
People have now started constantly saying this about anime, even Ghost in the Shell. Even though something always happens, people say nothing happens. It's a completely meaningless complaint.

It's the only ghibli movie I see genuinely as having been made with kids in mind. It's very simple and relatively devoid of drama or conflict, but likable enough. It just doesn't measure up to the rest of Ghibli's work.

>Directed by Miyazaki's son

insta-shit, he doesn't even wanted to be an anime director, fuck that silver spoon faggot.

I did not start this thread, and it's on-topic anyway.

>Still Miyazaki's best
No, thats still porco rosso.

>A Girl That Leapt Through Time
Made me cry like a faggot.

NGE is bad. Go watch it.

He's talking about the 'subs only' and 'anime isn't a cartoon and is for mature adults' bullshit most weebs say.

I liked the first half, but the whole "abstract monster destroys everything" shit is so overplayed and goes on forever. Those nukes really imprinted on the Japs to make them put that shit in every fantasy anime ever
What I really love about the movie though is how even handed it's depiction of industrialization vs environmentalism is. Unchecked industry obviously is detrimental to everyone, but at the same time Miyazaki takes care to show how the industrialized fortress provided opportunities for the most marginalized people in society, and increased everyone's quality of life. It would be way too easy to just do "trees good metal bad"

Glad I wasn't the only one.

Checked.

Anyone serious about movies/TV would say subs only, it's a fact that anime and cartoons are not the same thing, and weebs for all intents and purposes do not exist.

Literally a masterpiece. Probably the best Ghibli movie along with Mononoke