Meanwhile in Philadelphia, mere hours after the Super Bowl

Meanwhile in Philadelphia, mere hours after the Super Bowl...

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Economy_of_Philadelphia
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

What do they do in Philly? I'm genuinely curious.
I mean what caused Philly to be such a massive city? EG New York has finance, fashion, etc, LA has the movie/entertainment industry, Houston has oil/tech, Seattle has fishing/shipping, Washington has government, Pittsburgh was known for steel, so on and so forth

I have no idea what philly is known for, all the references I get in media are allusions to revolution and colonial america.

Battery manufacturing

>mere hours after the Super Bowl...
well yeah that pic is clearly the day after, the riot already happened the previous night and the parade isn't until the Tuesday at least

They were the first to make kites with keys tied to them.

Niggers

Okay Mr. Literal, use this as a reference then.

they were the very first to worship a bell

Philly used to be america capital

>meanwhile on planet earth come february

REEEEEE IT WAS OUR TIME
SKOL TO THE BOWL
MILLY DOSNT DESERVE THIS
YOU THREW BATTERIES AT SANTA
WE WERE BEST DEFENSE
AND ELITE CORE OF WRS
REEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

Its where white trash went to go make themselves feel like an actual city

Used to be a big industrial powerhouse. Ships, oil, coal, steel via Allentown and Bethlehem.

Now it's a very mixed, pretty modern economy. Nothing we excel it, but balanced.

old capitol, may have been largest city in the western hemisphere (before census), right on a river estuary, decent climate

big biomedical sector
business and medical schools

when I lived in NY for a couple years I was surprised all the doctors I had there came from U Penn too

Right but how do you make money off this? Like I know Buffalo used to be the US's second largest city but growth tapered off because industry didn't keep up. Philly is still huge.

Pennsylvania used to be the most important state in the union, Philly at the helm.

The Delaware valley area used to have the largest population in the country, til about the 1950s.

How good are philly cheese steaks ?

Pharmaceuticals

its where rocky lives

Theyre actually shit but people from philly are so up their own ass about their city that they huck the meme hard. I've had better cheese steaks in NYC or Chicago

its literally just bread cheese beef
nothing special

HEY MAN

ya gotta get onions

There are a fuck ton of Italian places in NJ and I can safely say even the shittier places have better Cheesesteaks than some places in Philly.

this. italian sandwich joints are good in philly but great in jersey

daily reminder that the Philly city council made it illegal for Chinese liquor stores and minimarts to have bulletproof glass protecting them because it hurts black people's feelings

The two biggest skyscrapers (the tallest one in the OP, with an even taller one opening this year) are the main headquarters for Comcast, the country's biggest cable provider

To quote the sacred text:
"Fuck anything from Philly that isn't a cheesesteak or a sports team"

What part of america's capital dont you understand?

It also the only US city that is a world Heritage city.

They make billions on history shit

>How do you make money off of being the birthplace of America?

why are you talking about Boston?

Right, because the Declaration of Independence was signed in Boston.

I don't care what anyone says, Philadelphia is still a beautiful city.

I miss rowing on the schuylkill with this view every night

we sent all the criminals there back in 1870

My sister went there with her boyfriend not too long ago and says she had a wonderful time.
Philly isn't shit, it def isn't say Camden, but it does have more than a few glaring flaws.

Philadelphia is a big city more out of inertia than any major current industry. Which explains a lot of the city's attitude. It's a blue-collar industrial city whose industry has mostly moved on and left it lagging behind all the other big east coast cities. So the whole town has a chip on its shoulder about being looked down on by the other big cities.

It's not a city in a death spiral like Detroit, but all it has to be proud of right now is its history and it's fighting spirit, so it leans heavily on both.

It's definitely still a very poor city on the periphery, but it's been on the upswing the past 20 years with a lot of millennials moving in. The jobs situation is problematic though. Winning amazon's HQ2 would be a big boon; comcast can't continue to carry this city

TACTICAL NUKE INCOMING

biomed and research mostly, but I'm biased because I live and work in University City

>What do they do in Philly? I'm genuinely curious.

Welfare.

So you're saying the Philly economy is based off essentially tourism?

It's a big chunk, but no.
Read up.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Economy_of_Philadelphia

lol what
Philly is a huge leader in all parts of healthcare
a fucking huge industry

Which helps it not be on the economic decline, but doesn't define its character or reputation. At least, not yet. Maybe it this keeps up long enough it will.

Holyshit, the riots took out the new Comcast skyscrapper.

bell cracking

wow
onions
such amazing cuisine
such refined taste

All the posts and no one mentioned Cream Cheese. Pathetic!

In the colonial era, it was a large for boating, agriculture. When it industrialized it had a bit of everything. Even though Pittsburgh is known as the steel city, Philadelphia was doing a lot as well. Hell, I believe it's still they place where they manufacture parts for large amusement park rides, like roller coasters. Other than that, it just had a bit of everything since it was a hub that connected the upper east coast on the way to DC and out west. There's a ton of rivers so manufacturing every kind was put up somewhere and still is. Pharmaceuticals, steel, textiles, paper mills, food (Kraft and Nestle) & drink (some coca cola).

I work in Conshohocken and the industrial history in a stone's throw is really unbelievable. Just a lot of factories so a lot of blue collar workers.

Literally curing cancer. Fucking radio ads won't shut up about it.

fun bit of history: Philadelphia cream cheese was never from Philly, the brand name started when a New York farmer decided to name the cheese that because Philadelphia-made food products had a reputation for quality. As someone who's lived in a few different parts of the country there really is a step up in quality with Philly local food compared to other parts of the country where national food brands and chain restaurants are more popular.