Your country

>Your country
>Do you eat these?

I don't understand why those are such meme in germanic countries and how you're supposed to eat them on a cold winter day. Taste like a boiled potato. So they remain a meme tier food you might find on a Christmas market, but they aren't common by a long shot.

shieeeet are we germanic now? Mostly gyppos sell them though

No, we sing about roasting them on Christmas but all we actually do is slip in them when it's raining

>doesn't eat roasted chest nuts

they're cheap as fuck at the farmers' market and taste good

never tasted them, never seen anywhere sell them either, so no.

No, if it doesn't come from the super market then it's inedible.

boiled chestnuts>roasted chestnut

yes, it's pretty much a tradition at least here in valencia

No, the American chestnut is basically extinct because plague brought in from the old world and I don't want to swallow foreign nuts.

But they aren't featured in a Christmas song so therefore clearly inferior.

Balestine

Yes

as much as 1/3rd of our trees in the Appalachian mountains may have been chestnut trees. We had nearly 4 billion chestnut trees. But since the blight they've basically all be wiped out since the 1940's except for a few pockets.

Getting american chestnuts can be very difficult and very expensive. American chestnuts are very sweet, and used to be good for things like making pies.

European chestnuts are more starchy and not as sweet as american chestnuts

Japanese ones very bland.

Chinese ones are sweet, but not as sweet as american.

Yes, roasted.

I have a source for blight-resistant American Chestnut saplings

How does that work? Did they manage to get a mutation of american chestnut? Because as far as I understand blight-resistance normally comes from just making a hybrid of Chinese chestnuts, like chinese+american.

Roasted or as marmalade

This, we boil them. They taste much sweeter this way.

they're not really *hybrids*, they just took a few genes from the Chinese variant and added them to the American, genetic modification, they look completely like American chestnut

But do you eat these

There's 2 kinds, 1 is multi generational cross back hybrid with the Chinese chestnut so it looks like a typical American chestnut but has some Chinese genes including blight resistance. The other is a currently unavailable (seeking FDA/EPA/etc approval) gmo American chestnut that is 99.9% normal but with the Chinese resistance gene inserted in.

Yes, they're very popular here

How is the taste? Exactly like American?

>The other is a currently unavailable (seeking FDA/EPA/etc approval) gmo American chestnut that is 99.9% normal but with the Chinese resistance gene inserted in.

D&R Greenway in NJ has some already at a couple of sites, it may be part of early experimentation though, don't know the details. I've got a connection and they offered me some, I don't have any room to plant them in though

none are old enough yet

They taste like sweet potatoes when you make them fresh, when you collect them in the forest

>I've got a connection and they offered me some, I don't have any room to plant them in though

Oh, may be they have the EPA approval then. The last update I heard was back in January. I don't know how they'd have FDA approval yet though if they aren't making edible nuts yet.

Ah yes, the lovely taste of wild nuts with their added nut eating grub flavor.

*American meme

Only used for decoration here. As a kid they were fun to peel and throw at stuff

No. We play conkers with them

>I'm too retarded to discard rotten chestnuts

>eating chestnuts
>American meme
wut

that offer may have been technically illegal though, they've had that variant for two or three years as far as I've known. I was considering investing in a plot and planting a bunch, now I'll do some research on that EPA stuff. Our state DEP is a mess though, maybe there was a mix up

I have an older house with American chestnut woodwork inside, I like the grain and tone; maybe it will be valuable in a few years or no one will care

Sometimes, more often we fuck around with these.

Flag.
Yes. Chestnut rice is godtier.

>flag

Yeah, it's very soft, roasted on fire or pan.