I never understood the "problem" of piracy. It isn't actual theft. I can't afford to buy this shit...

I never understood the "problem" of piracy. It isn't actual theft. I can't afford to buy this shit. I'd never actually buy it if I had the money.

How is that harming the film industry again?

>I can't afford to buy this shit.

Yeah we know, buddy.

GIVE US YOUR SHEKELS NOW!!!

It's definitely harming the film industry. It's not the exact same as theft, but Blockbuster used to be a legit way to support the film industry and now they're out of business.
Obviously that isn't just from pirating, but I used to pay to watch movies, even if it was only a $3 rental; now I don't.
And don't act like people didn't used to rent movies they weren't that interested in just 'cause there was nothing better to rent.

Its hurting the industry because now they are pandering to the only groups dumb enough to still give them money, blacks and dipshit sjw millennials.

> Problem
I would never pay for most of the shit I'm watching, but because it's free and easy I watch the stuff anyways. A lot of my life's time is wasted on this. It's like a free drug.
Fuck all the stupid garbage I watched in my life.

In a free market consumers have the right and some would say obligation to source products at a quality that is acceptable at the minimum price

By doing so the market becomes more efficient

Never stop pirating

Yes, we have efficiently created a mega franchise monopoly where smaller creative filmmakers can't get financing to do anything new and studios will only back mega franchise CHI orgy's. Transformers 5 isn't hurt by loss of ticket or rental sales, Dr Strange still does just fine, even turds like suicide squad are fine. You know what would need ticket, blu-ray, and VOD sales to prove market viability, the lobster, Swiss army man, things that even if you aren't personally into can at least admit have a unique vision and story to tell. You will never hurt the big guy with piracy, but you sure can cripple the little one.

Then the little man was previously operating in an inefficent marketplace and needs to stop crying and adapt to the new paradigm like every other industry on earth has to do.

Boo hoo.

It's not.

It's the same argument for fucking vidya piracy.

>people without the means or desire to purchase something obtain it from the internet for free
>literally nothing is lost
>if the product is good, pirated views will generate positive word of mouth overall increasing sales from corners that otherwise wouldn't have spent money

And people recording songs on the radio sure did kill the music industry I tell you hwhat.

>he doesn't pay people in india 3 dollars a month to shoot custom movies for him

I WENT TO NYU FILM SCHOOL AND TOOK ON 100,000 USD IN DEBT AND YOU'RE JUST OURSOURCING MY LABOR

HOW DARE YOU

>orders hardware from Amazon that was made in third world countries

They are, the VOD market for independent film is booming and same day releases are helping boost opening weekend numbers. Also with the rise of crowd sourcing and digital filmmaking having replaced film, the cost of making a movie had never been lower. My point is piracy doesn't make the industry better and more efficient, it just makes transformers 6 and a Han Solo origin movie.

im not sure if id actually pay for any of it
but i think its good to be able to try it before anyway just so you know what you are getting

>cassette trading will kill the music industry!
>
>VHS trading will destroy the movie industry!
>file sharing will annihilate the entertainment industry as a whole!
All of which are demonstrably untrue. There are movies being made every day, and Hollywood still has millions of dollars to throw at marketing at advertising in this age of internet and social media, so I dare say the industry is doing just fine.

How is a free product for the consumer not better?

You're framing it from the viewpoint of the supplier, and we're discussing the merit of the consumer getting it for free.

Again the free market will find the efficency of the market. If Hollywood only makes unpopular trash it'll become untenable and have to change ideas and find what consumers want.

For now consumers seem satisfied with the market choices and they're getting it for free, so I'd say the market is incredibly healthy.

Shit I never thought about it that way... but then again I will pay money to see a movie I'm interested in, like Neon Demon last year or Void coming in April.

Honestly in a way I wouldnt even be bothered if they crack down hard on pirating because then I would just stop watching most tv / movies and be more productive.

>A baker makes great bread,
>People stop paying for the bakers bread because they can get it for free at the end of the day when he throws it out
>Baker trys to make his bread more appetizing to purchase, true selling the day old bread at a discount but everybody prefers just getting it for free
>marker is great for consumers
>baker cannot afford to make more bread
> nobody gets bread anymore

Wow it's almost like the consumer supplier relationship works better when it's symbiotic rather that one side being a parasite on the other.
You can't complain about how every marvel movie looks and plays the same, the amount of sequels reboots and soft re-sequels, or the bland China pandering blockbusters when those are the o my movies people pay to see anymore. The film industry is not healthy, it's been making less money every year for quite some time now, Netflix and other streaming platforms helping dig it's grave.

>> nobody gets bread anymore

Your analogy failed here

The industry is still very profitable and there is still a lot of bread being made

op is still a fag

>baker has to resort to making bread out of low quality cheap ingreadiants so he can hire bread security, selling it for the same price, and incinerating all day old bread people take for free.
>now everyone has to pay the same price for shit bread

Now that I've sated your autism you can read the rest of my post about how you're a parasite and the industry is most certainly not doing fine and were on our way to exclusively making films for a Chinese audience

I also want to say I don't give a shit if you torrent, it just bugs me delusional people bullshit. You're a dickhole parasite who likes to take things for free because he can't afford what he actually wants, that's fine be that. Just don't try and feed us the bullshit you've been sipping.

>Ad hominem without any arguments

The death knell of the loser

It's not if your relationship with the film industry is literally parasitic. Which by definition it is. Also I like how you always skirt my actual points for the 6 words you can twist to "discredit" everything I said ignoring the China and diminishing profits points I bring up. Real top level stuff.

You take from something without offering anything in return, this is by definition a parasite.

The consumer doesnt owe the producer any charity.

Correct, just compensation for goods and servaces rendered.

Again read my posts, I don't care if you pirate. Just realize nobody buys your bullshit and admit what you are.

>just compensation for goods and servaces rendered.

no

if their product reaches the maket at a price point of 0 then the consumer can purchase it at that price

compensation is not mandatory, it is not a right, if you create something that can be transmitted for 0 then do not expect customers to pay 0+n

Sure, but the seller gets to dictate price. If there is no consumer interest in that price point the seller can change it to serve consumer desires or if the consumer offers a competing price point that the seller finds agreeable the seller can agree to that. At no point can the consumer dictate a price point and the seller is obligated to meet it.

So yes, if the seller dictates that the market value of his product is 0 then 0 would be considered compensation for goods and services rendered.

The seller doesn't get to dictate a price of 0+n when the consumer receives the goods at 0

He has no control over his product once its created, thats his problem, markets arent morally fair

If he was a farmer he could decide how consumers get his goods

He cant control how consumers get his goods and the consumer has no obligation to pretend he does by spending 0+n

So you're saying that a person is under no obligation not to steal? And that piracy is theft.

>Moving the goalposts

Before it was that consumers should pay for products

Now its consumers who get products for free are stealing

ha

Off ya go

>Baker makes bread
>Demand isn't high enough so bread goes to waste
>Instead of adjusting his production the baker just decides to go bankrupt
In captalism you either adapt to the market or go broke.

Theft is a crime and (in the first world) piracy isn't.

The goalposts started at
>how is a free product for the consumer not better?
You be moved them countless times since then
>people who used to buy bread realize they can get it for free if they wait
>people no longer actually buy bread and just wait, creating the market loss.

A lot of places dump garbage and chemicals in their day old baked goods trash to avoid this very problem. Downloadable goods just haven't been able to find their Lysol yet

How are consumers who take a product for free without the consent of the owner who is selling it at a price not stealing?
Steal shit if you want but don't call shit chocolate cake and expect me to take a bite.

How can I take something that isn't physical? I am not shoplifting dvds, I am downloading random strings of bits.

intellectual property is a meme

Because digital media is a thing now and people create these random strings of bits and sell them on online realtors such as YouTube amazon and vimeo. So circumventing said realtors to aqure the bits free of charge would be considered stealing.

>Anything declared a good is a good irrespective of the practical nature of reality

Just so you know reading this post comes with a contractual agreement to pay me $45,000. Not this part, but the next few sentences. If you don't pay me you can't read the next sentence. Of course I cannot stop you, but I can enforce my right of copyright ownership of intellectual property.

So anything below this next line is subject to a $40,000 viewing fee, and any transmission is subject to the same fee:

Suck my cock you fucking retard and pay me all you owe you thief faggot. You were told the price, you knew the content, I knew you could subvert the contract so I included a term requiring you to not do something and to pay me if you did something, but you did the thing that caused a sale and now you owe me.

"All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster."

I own the copyright of this comment. The Comment is owned by me. By reading this comment and the conditions attached you have entered into an agreement with me for my intellectual property.