Current year

>current year
>madden is still light years behind pic related
what went so fucking right bros? visual concepts were GOAT when sega owned them

They had to actually put in effort to get customers. Look at those developers now: 2K basketball is pretty much the only game in town (even with Live back) and the studio knows they can jew the shit out of customers. They also knowingly make the most played modes as obnoxious as possible to make you break down and open up your wallet. Never again buying 2K until they suffer.

Boy has this game benefited from nostalgiafaggotry, and I owned and loved this game, but to say it was far ahead of madden at the time is ludicrous, and was still inferior gameplay wise, especially on defense. Like first post said, 2k has never proven to be anything other than shit at everything else besides basketball which just appeals to a low rent audience

The license did indeed kill madden because no competition, but to say 2k would have shit out 12-13 blue chippers every year since then is laughible, they have no track record of doing so. 989 did the same with GameDay a couple years in the late 90s

Plus it was it $20 new. I used to be a hardcore sports gamer and boycotted them after 05.

>nhl is shit
>2k is shit
>madden is shit
>fifa is shit
>ssx is shit
>pga tour is literal >goof
>football manager is stagnating
>eastside hockey manager is shit
are there ANY good sports games that don't include mario or supermonkies?

I miss Blitz

Shows you what competition does, because football had three meme violent games back then(NFL xtreme and pic related), 3 college and 3 NFL games. Now it's lolmadden

This, although it was more about money for me than the stagnating quality. I could put up with basically getting the same game every year with updated rosters if I wasn't paying that much for it, but $60? Loss your got damn mine if you think I'm shelling that out every year.

GOAT sports game. $20 on release day too, that'll never ever happen again.

The other tragedy of this is people don't remember Madden 05 eventually lowered their game to $30 from I think $50 to compete

blitz > qb club > tecmo bowl > espn > that one madden w/ terrell davis as your agent or whatever in story mode >>>>>>>>>>>>> every other madden

This is the GOAT sports game anyone who hates baselessly is a cuck. Nothing will ever be close to this again.

>tfw i never played it

what did i miss

>GOAT sports game conversation
>no mention of out of the park baseball

hey fuck you, SSX Tricky and SSX 3 are GOAT snowboarding games

It is still one of the single best sports games you can play. It is better than any Madden imo.

actual GOAT football vidya coming through

The only problem I have with it is you can't complete simple screen passes/checkdowns and you can't throw the ball away under pressure without getting sacked.

This shit would fit right in with AAA games in the current year. Bells and whistles everywhere, all presentation, no gameplay.

PES

This is closer to the truth than all this nostalgia gayness
>Dude I just beat David Arquette and Steve-O so now I can afford track lighting for my crib
Meme game with some merit. Only reason it's remembered it's what happened afterwards

The Show is a decent MLB sports game

Processing power has increased since then. Of course the AI/graphics have improved.

What stands out with this game is the presentation. With all the resources and licenses EA has, they still won't want to match/surpass this for some reason (Ultimate team, cough, cough). Same reason why EA does not put Madden or NHL on the PC.

It had a better running game than Madden has ever had. You could actually read blocks and predict linemens behavior.

slugfest loaded

>for some reason
I havent touched a madden game in at least 6-7 years and I can tell you with 100 percent certainty the reason is they have no competition

Part of the reason, hence securing the license.

Main one is that they don't care to make a great immersive game and know a significant percentage will buy next year's edition.

Any type of person who is skilled at their craft would love competition because that pushes greatness further. We are dealing primarily with laziness, short-cuts, and customers who act like lemmings.

Gonna guess you never played it, you couldn't be more wrong. Defense and O Line AI is still miles better than Madden, QB movement momentum matters on throwing passes something Madden still has figured out, actual momentum effects WR catching and effects tackling, you simply couldn't be more wrong. It was criticized by Madden fans for being a sim game to Madden's arcadey style of play. Complete opposite of what you said.

Madden fanboys have such awful arguments, there are endless youtube videos showing the AI of this how LBs react how CBs react etc. to the latest Madden still fucking being way behind.

that's just horse shit, there's tons of animations for QBs throwing. I replaced Brady when he retired with a more mobile QB and he's making Aaron Rodgers type throws that Brady never would.

>being wrong