Why is vietnam taking so long on becoming part of the top 20 or 30 richest countries?

Why is vietnam taking so long on becoming part of the top 20 or 30 richest countries?

It seems it has all the ingredients, a fairly smart population (iq is similar to Georgia or Kazakhstan ), relatively close to all the Asian Tigers (Taiwan, China, Honk Kong, japan, Singapore, etc), it has a territory similar to the size of japan, yet they are poorer than Portugal or Bangladesh.

How do we make vietnam an Asian Tiger

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=266H-N-hEcc
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

having a jungle just makes your country shit-tier desu

>Why is vietnam taking so long on becoming part of the top 20 or 30 richest countries?
Communism

>iq similar to Georgia or Kazakshtan
that is not a good thing

Fucking commies ruin everything that they touch.

dunno, they just can't seem to get their shit together like their northern neighbors, given that they have similar authoritarian type governments.

Beg for some white seed

We probably won't make top 50 richest countries even with our highest potential. We're trying to improve the infrastructures (which are still bad) and getting foreign investment. We act friendly most countries and the government seems to like to be neutral in international affairs.

*to most countries

Don't worry, in 2050, Vietnam is projected to have a GDP equal to Norway!

...Oh wait.
Vietnam -> 90 million people
Norway -> 5 million people

Some countries are just simply inferior to others I guess...

It's unfortunate, but it's true. Vietnam can't improve their economy until they improve their government and human development.

you can't. they're SEA monkies

gomunism

Vietnam may be culturally Confucian but they are genetically monkey.

t. Japanese stude abroad

Because of 80 years of near constant war, a decimated population, a poisoned countryside, massive pollution from China (and abuse by them) and communism only loosened up on economic regulations in the mid 90s

I think in the future it will be better, but people worry about being stuck in the middle income trap, and rightfully so. I think having the government how it is makes it easier to handle something like that compared to a democracy though

On the other hand industry is leaving china and Vietnam is in a prime position to take advantage of it if regulations are changed a little.
The loss of TPP really did us a blow since Vietnam would have been the biggest benefactor of it, reciving massive US trade

>massive pollution from China
Source? The region in China bordering you guys is poor as fuck and produces no real industry.

Unless by China you meant RoC who Formosa Steel factory polluted the entire sea and killed the fishes. But Taiwanese get a free pass in Vietnam.

Really Vietnam's future rests with America and how the situation of a growing China is handled, especially when it comes to the East Sea (south sea) and Taiwan straights
If China hurts Vietnam will benefit

>taking advantage

You realize that we transported all our polluting sweatshops to China in the 1970’s and now they do the same you. That’s life. Soon they’ll be complaining about Vietnamese pollution.

The Chinese dump a lot of waste, including radioactive waste in the Red River delta as well as pollute the nearby seas
They are just sinister little bugmen

War and embargo do wonder things to the development of a country. Communism or not Vietnam gets the short end of the stick after the war. If people like to blame on communism then take a look at Philippine and ask yourself why it's not Singapore or Japan level yet.
In a way Vietnam is kinda similar to Poland except we don't get to join the commonwealth.

>Pretending is own country
Ha

Pollution is bad but what can you do? We can be like Brazil, a huge nation with everything going for it yet poor as fuck and with super high prices for everything, or we can sacrifice now for benifits in the future. No other option really

We give absolutely zero fucks about you and your communist government. Your meme “east sea” (lmao) can go fuck itself and y’all will get cucked by the Chinese as usual.

Hilarious. Thinking we’d help you all?
China will dominate the entire region within a decade and y’all will be happy if they treat Vietnam better than we treat Mexico.

>Speaking for 300 million people
>Useless NEET masturbating to facebook pictures
Thanks for the input Timmy

A big thing that really does my head in is lack of trade and shipping infrastructure. It's so weird how brands in one city or here region won't even exist in another.
Really there needs to be more national unity, no more of this north south central division

>Red River Delta
>Chinese

Dude at least find a legit argument. The water in the Red River is 98% Vietnamese.

USA will help because it's in our mutual interest. You think it's good for America for China to control the entire region?
We would be hurt but you would be hurt more

Don't ruin the poor gook's hopes and dreams, lol.

They want to be free from the eternal chink to the point they suck white dick like a vacuum cleaner. They don't realize only money matters in this world, not morality, and chinks can outbid them at everything. Whites think all Asians are the same anyways.

Vietnam will be an eternal backwater and their women sold by the truckload to chinks.

Complaining about Chinese pollution and excusing your own is pathetic twosided hypocritical shit. Literally the same stuff you accuse the chinese of doing.

Vietnam is a polluted shithole because Viets act like rural illiterate monkeys. Surprisingly enough, most are.

>You think it's good for America for China to control the entire region?

Trump will make a deal with them, just like how they cucked Taiwan. You cannot escape chink money.

USA has no vital interests with Vietnam. We would love for y’all to be our next cuck who can serve as the cannon fodder in WW3, but when things get hard, we will drop your nation like we dropped any other.

I recommend reading Graham Allison’s “Destined for War”. It explains why we will never be allies with Vietnam. That’s if you can in your commie stalinist state.

Because they're all a bunch of idiotic paddy farmers

The only way SEA countries can survive is to play both sides. Duterte is smart by siding closer to China: he gets to negotiate and take the best deal between China and America. His predecessor sided too closely to America and got chinked.

Little cucks like Vietnam who already took a side ends up being fucked both ways as China shuns you and America devotes no resources on you because they know how much you depend on them. And Vietnam isn't exactly going to stop hating China, so you will continue to be fucked for decades.

>how to make it an asian tiger

First, wanting another asian country to become an "asian tiger" is fucking retarted.

Second, if you're implying the general want to improve Vietnamese society, it'd be quite straightforward:

1. Dissolve the "Marxist-Leninist" state and replace it with federated workers councils based on principles of anarchism and consensus-based decision making.
2. Invest resources into reorganizing society based on productive efficiency rather than ruling class/ selfish-exploitative greed.
3. Burn all paddy farms and replace them with god-tier vertical kale farms and artistic-based architecture communities.
4. ??????
5. Profit!

Fuck Duterte. just saying

the government tries to do this but the people have a strong resentment towards the Chinese going back millennia.
its seems to be doing well though, trade and buisness relaitons with China have grown considerably, as has tourism

this more than anything is why Vietnam is unwilling to completely side with the US, much better to remain fairly neutral as Vietnam does with the Korea situation.
we say we love the North an in return buy/sell weapons and food, we say we love the South and get investment.

Burn all paddy farms

if the US is weak; and getting weaker, what is he supposed to do?
blame Clinton, Bush and Obama for letting it get this bad.

I think you understand how corrupt and greedy people like Duterte are. They could do a million things, but they don't because they're evil pieces of shit.

lrntorealpolitik

You what, just fuck you

he's a pinoy, its not his fault its genetic that they are slimy shits

I don't know but I'm glad Viets are on our side in the China dispute :)

youtube.com/watch?v=266H-N-hEcc

We are gladly share our pie of oils with any of you helping VN in China dispute.

HK should know what the price is of getting in bed with the Chinese, things may be calm now but soon the status quo agreement will run out.
but at least HK has and will always have money.
worse comes to worst, I don;t think Vietnam will ever be in as bad shape as it was in the 20th century.
if China wins in the Pacific we will be disappointed but Vietnam has lived with China for long enough that it won't change things so dramatically.

Duterte for all his faults is still better than Aquino by far.

That's why. The gooks hate the chinks and hated them for 1000 years. That's not something that can change easily, and you bet both China and America knows it. Phillippines works because Duterte is popular and can convince his people to stop overtly siding with America long enough to get China to the table.

Vietnam's government does make an effort, but it's too little too late when the rest of ASEAN gets to grow fat over the competition between two powers instead of sulk mostly on the sidelines like Vietnam. They getting fucked over with the TTP is just the cherry on top.

China isn't going to go away. Vietnam needs to deal with it or be left behind.

ancient animosity like this doesn't go away easily.
but living here I can tell you it is not so bad, sure people dislike China, but they don't really hate them (or Chinese people personally) either. plenty of civilians and businessmen here are more than happy to set aside petty grievances if it means mutual profit which has been happening for the last 10 or so year.

we don't need to like one another to get along. I think you overestimate how much Vietnam dislikes China, or how close we are to the Americans. we have barely any connection to the US compared to China. only politically we fight with China over things like fishing and sea rights, but Vietnam can't ever just roll over on these issues.

lol i just realized Hong Kong and vietnam have the same flag but the star is of different color.

Maybe should combine to form the Nan Yue republic.

Nan Yue is now generally regarded as invaders in Vietnam.

Really? Trieu da is an invader now? that's a shame.

I kind of wish we still had the emperor here like Thailand does, I saw the big funeral for their dead king and it was pretty peng.
even if the Nguyen lords were huge cucks and are now a bunch of faggy poofs living in Paris

There are Nguyễn princes and princess living scattered in Vietnam. If I am not mistaken, there's one prince living not very far from where I live.

Facts, half of my family used to as french translators in Hue and Quang Nam during the colonial period.

Now, I am a fat american and my cousins are faggy poofs in france.

yea because like everyone is a Nguyen
I wouldn't want a proper monarchy, Thailand has to much gay shit, I just like the pageantry.
I live in Hue rn so I'm surrounded by all this Imperial stuff

Hong Kong was always going to be returned to China, lol. The problem with the idiots here is that they can't accept the fact that mainlanders are beating them at their own game of being cunning capitalist scumbags.

China doesn't want HK to stop making money, so they will have a soft approach to the city unless they're forced to. The retards here decide to openly fuck with them by meeting with US NGO regime change fuckeroos, and the present is the result.

Those who can't adapt will die out. That's evolution.

how things change lol

I'm in the South, but my grandparents came from Huế. Is Huế cool or just boring?

Maybe if the British weren't such sissies some other plan could have been worked out, China could have been diplomatically out-manoeuvred by putting the issue up to a popular vote, where some sort of structured independence would almost certainly have resulted and a better more permanent deal with China. Britain had more power than it seemed in the deal, yet they just bent right over in exchange for Chinese money

boring compared to HCM but much more comfortable and clean
I have a good job here atm so its very cozy with money and closer to the beaches so I can go surfing when the waves are good

Vietnam needs to go the way of South Korea and Taiwan in transition towards a democracy before they can be successful.

Okay yeah I kind of was being overtly an asshole about it, I'll tone it down some.

America wants Vietnam and India etc. do devote their all to slow down China, even if it means destroying themselves. But it's only a matter of time for the US: the twilight of single superpower will come regardless.

Their entire government is made up of corrupt communist grandpas, they need to get rid of them and make change.

I think it would better if HK regain some of its autonomous authority.
Agree that China government now is well cunning capitalist and know how to priority and investing funds but not complete fall in the hand of central government is always a dream of every state in any country.

It also very important as to protect the identity of Guangdong people over the 'culture remove' from mainland government. You know how 'only those with a full stomach can wage a war'. Give the central government the right to total control of your wallet should be avoid.

not going to happen, we can't rely on the US enough to alienate China like that and a more autocratic government is better suited to deal with the middle income trap.
so long as Sino-American autism doens't come to a head, Vietnam will grow nicely as it has so far and be alright.

Both South Korea and Taiwan were dictatorships during their initial and fastest periods of their growth.

We'll never know but it was never in doubt that China would take back HK one way or another. The brits probably didn't trust their "popular vote" to turn their way, it was just a final fuck you to make people vote for LegCo and stuff the judiciary full of cucks anyways.

Keep Viet Nam poor

Vietnam will oppose China encroaching on its territory but it will never throw itself into a suicide war against China. idk about India but they seem like a much bigger threat to the Chinese, which is why they devoted so much effort towards Nepal

Because Vietnam is SEA not East Asian. Hell, even the most successful SEA cunt (Singapore) is full of Chinese people.

Right on mark. American really don't understand democracy is not gonna work in Asian. The 'democracy' is not a magical spell that liff up a whole country easy like that.

If you read some wiki, not even complicate book you will understand South Korea and Taiwan were dictatorships in those old time and ride on the economic bubble, ride on an active war, secure contract from military left and right.

Probably, but I prefer being ruled by mainlanders who have a stake in my city being profitable I've being ruled by US-funded cucks who only cares about making as large a mess as possible before buggering off and applying for political refugee status in America. Of course, "HK for HKers" is impossible. Anyways, I'm not planning on leaving my city and the place I grew up in.

The issue with Hong Kong today is unwillingness to deal with the cards in their hand. Nobody is pushing initiatives to make the rest of China more like Hong Kong, exporting our "brand" and selling "HK quality" at massive markups. We're not ruthless enough. Too fucking soft.

98% of Vietnamese culture is Chinese culture and are basically Chinese, hell Ho Chi Minh was basically Chinese, what went wrong

India under Modi is an annoyance, but China only really have eyes for America. Everything else is seen in the same lens, as pawns in a new Great Game between the 1st and 2nd strongest powers.

India itself is ambitious, but they have huge problems to deal with, far more than China or even SEA.

See that's where I disagree, the government should stay out of affairs which do not require its assistance such as business. South Korea is a nice in between with the sort of thing though. For example South Korea puts its support behind most of its domestic companies in terms of Lax regulations and loans. However when a company fails in South Korea the government chooses not to bail it out such as in the case of Daewoo.

HK has the potential to be as culturally powerful as, for example, California/LA is in America. its the only place in China that seems to have any sort of presence culturally outside the country.

there are more things that that to consider, mainly keeping the population under control

Fall of saigon

Chinese are sore losers just like Americans

what's left for us to ride on?
I think we should take advantage of China's rapid development and increase trade with them.

>hell Ho Chi Minh was basically Chinese, what went wrong
Okay, and I have to bow to my head to Chinese-puppet government every days or get sent to education camp, blah blah...

This is why most Vietnamese like me really don't like discussing with Amerecan posters because there are always some butt hurt South Vietnam refugee in the State spouting nonsense.

Are you memeing? Vietnam and China are separate countries.

See why would you need to consistently keep your population under control though if there wasn't a problem with the government in the first place

this has already been happening
idk why people here are acting like Vietnam is in some dire position, we don't have early 2000's Chinese level growth but that shit is unique.
the biggest thing here is the need for industrial coordination and for the State to trust companies a bit more.

Vietnam have been through several tragedies, mostly from outside.

The first of them was the latin alphabet full of diacritics introduced by the French to replace the traditional ideograms.

"trước công nguyên của học lịch sử những tiêu chuẩn khắt đưa đối được là đẻ với việc thập cứ liệu không" (this is "I want an hamburger with bacon for breakfast today" in Viet)

The bombs from the US with orange agent come as a distant second.

And we're ruining our potential. It sucks.

Democracy is cancer. We need a strongman who can tell both the pro-business sycophants and the pan-dem race traitors to fuck off and do what's best for the city, which is sit on the fence and look for the best deals. No identity politics. Keeping business in HK. Getting the rest of China addicted to HK beyond our fucked up housing prices, and grease palms enough to stay at the forefront of Chinese cities in technology and capitalism.

A man can dream.

Didn't you have a super popular music and movie industries many decades ago?

too bad you can't be like Singapore

wtf are you talking about stupid monkey
that doesn't mean anything close to "I want a burger"

the language change is not a big deal, it doesn't look as aesthetic as the Kanji but its much easier to read and promote literacy

Singapore is overrated.

that translation is completely gibberish
It should be: Hôm nay tôi muốn ăn sáng bằng hamburger (ham-bơ-gơ) với thịt xông khói.
yeah it's apparent with the distribution of highways, but some people think that's "the greedy Northern based government wants all the roads for themselves"

They all moved to China with the rest of the Triads. More money there.

Singapore is smart enough to keep China at palm's length without outright antagonizing them. That's why they're successful. LKY is a real genius.

It's true that back when the old man was alive every generation of China's leaders come down to Singapore for a visit. Pay their respects.

"it doesn't look as aesthetic as the Kanji but its much easier to read and promote literacy"

"trước công nguyên của học lịch sử những tiêu chuẩn khắt đưa đối được là đẻ với việc thập cứ liệu không"

One of the reasons the French language lost its power is that it is hard to learn. One of the reasons: diacritics. They aren't helpfull at all. They only scare people.

I'm a southerner but this north-south rivalry is so stupid and not helpful

Because as US-backed South Vietnam lost the war and Communist Vietcong took over the whole country, the Vietcong Communist regime has ruled it for decades and just like other communist countries. And Its economy started to stagnate in the 80s and as the USSR finally collapsed, its economy was pretty fucked up alongside with other former Communist countries, thus losing its driving force to develop its economy and it's ended up where it is now.

the glory days and the turbulent era came to an end long ago and and every nation's economic position in the international society has been solidified so firmly that I doubt it's possible for Vietnam to break through the wall and make its way to the "Four Asian Dragons" group.

no one here had problems to learn and literacy is high
I'm sure angry squiggles like with Han characters are much more "scary" to foreigners.
the ONLY hard thing about Vietnamese is the tones for non-viet learners, otherwise I find the language to be very simple and intuitive but able to express a lot if necessary through compounding ideas much like German does.

Vietnam is in a good position to take advantage of East-West rivalry in the Pacific so long as things don't get too hot.

They are low IQ SEA monkey subhumans. The Vietnamese are notorious in Australia for committing crime.

they should fit in well in Australia then

"no one here had problems to learn and literacy is high"
Pretty much no normal IQ person has problems learning her/his mother tongue. And literacy is high because this is usual in communist countries.

The thing is: internationally, Vietnam is scary to people because of:

language, alphabet, communism, pollution, crazy traffic...

The thing is: Vietnam has to become more open and reduce the number of children per family.

Yeah they probably get assfucked by the Sudanese.