youtu.be/lxjp2YIk798
youtube.com/watch?v=RFFi-tQxbLI
youtube.com/watch?v=mHkchrIKKog
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Hm?

Hrm.

You didn't like it, user?

IT WAS SHIT IT WAS SHIT IT WAS SHIT IT WAS SHIT

Yes, it's overrated on Sup Forums. Get used to it.

Great movies will often be judged plebtier while average movies are lauded like fucking masterpieces.

It's a 6/10 at best. It's not in my top 50 asian films.

[drum banging intensifies]

I just watched this the other day, I'm sort of ambivalent about it. At first it seemed almost like a comedy, I wasn't really laughing by the end though.

Abrupt tonal shifts are a hallmark of Korean cinema. Just something you gotta get used to if you end up watching their movies.

7/10 for me, but agree with the rest of your post. Sup Forums sucks nowadays. There's only really discussion for tentpole LCD types, assuming the thread is about a movie in the first place.

I don't know. It felt like the movie wasn't really sure what it wanted to be.

Is it a horror movie?
Is it a thriller?
Is it about xenophobia?
Or about religion/superstition?
Trust?

>not in my top 50 asian films

I agree it was a 6/10, but you're probably a dumb anime watching weeb

youtu.be/lxjp2YIk798

You're welcome, buddy.

>Abrupt tonal shifts are a hallmark of Korean cinema.

You may be correct in this (I haven't seen enough Korean movies to confirm or deny), but I felt that this movie didn't really manage to pull the tonal shifts off.

It's pretty cool but yeah it doesn't exactly leap out as being great.

What i got from it was that it kind of immerses you in a general feeling of not being able to find out what's going on, like the main character fails to in order to save his family. I understand it just being frustrating though. Like, it throws a lot at the wall just to be confusing to give you a sense of helplessness.

>Is it a horror movie?

Assuredly. Korean culture is rich in superstition. The movie is supposed to give you the spooks.

>Is it a thriller?

In terms of objective genre categorization? Possibly. There are moments that would make your heart escape its cage if you experience it vicariously. Subjectively, no, I wouldn't count it as a thriller. I see it as a tense suspense-horror.

>Is it about xenophobia?

In some ways, yes. After all, a main plot point is the ostensible scapegoating of the Japanese immigrant. Whether the ending justifying the initial suspicion is relevant to condemning xenophobia is up for debate.

>Or about religion/superstition?

See above.

>Trust?

Well, trust plays a role in almost all plot progressions regarding movies that fall in the mystery/thriller/horror genre. Family is a core element of the movie, so one can assume trust is also portrayed as an important quality to a happy family life.

Do you have any specific examples in mind that you found jarring?

What are some other movies with such an extreme shift? I've only seen a few Korean films.

Nope, I just love asian kino. Here's my asia folder. If you look, I downloaded 3 studio ghibli's just this morning because I've only seen them once .

Overrated here like that j-horror movie where people vanish and leave a mark on the wall.

Off the top of my head, several movies I've seen by Park Chan-wook and Bong Joon-ho have abrupt tonal shifts. Recently speaking, Train to Busan (by Yeon Sang-ho) had interesting shifts in levity.

I'm sure I can come up with more examples if you'd like, but I'd start there. The first two directors are great; I don't know much about the third.

If you want to watch a proper Korean masterpiece, watch pic related.

Go watch it. Have a little cry. Then come back and share the experience.

The Wailing is better than a lot of films there

I don't think Train to Busan, which I watched the day after The Wailing, had such a pronounced shift. It did change but it was more subtle, whereas The Wailing is sorta ham-fisted

this movie?
youtube.com/watch?v=RFFi-tQxbLI

This was actually pretty shit Korean "horror". Mostly because that fat sergeant was annoyingly cringe as fuck, while his daughter was too over the top. Also, the whole plot was kind of meh.

Agreed. The Wailing certainly had some jarring moments, like the part with the "zombie" assaulting the crew of police offers/townfolk by the Jap's hut; it played out like a comedy bit.

No. But it also had a crappy American remake like that one.

>pretty shit
>cringe
>too over the top
>kind of meh
you're gonna have a tough time with papers when you get to community college

Hated this tonally inconsistent mess so much.

Wtf was the shift in Train to Busan? The only shift was in the fund manager's shift in character which was obvious as fuck.

I fuckin applauded that movie for creating the most hateable character ever in a movie which I remember. That old guy literally managed to kill of every single one of the survivors in the train after the initial outbreak. I literally started to get frustrated with his obnoxious behavior. Good job Koreans.

So, was the shaman a bad guy all along of he got possesed when the little girl's father stopped the ritual?
Was the Jap always bad or he was a monk who got possesed?

There were several character interactions that led to tonal shifts. For instance, Don Lee interacting with his wife was often cloying, while his more sarcastic or aggressive interactions with Gong Yoo and the conniving CEO were meant to be humorous—all in the midst of a zombie attack.

I'd have to rewatch the movie to pinpoint all the tonal shifts—most of which were transient—but I do remember it being quite common throughout the movie.

With that said, I'm not implying tonal shifts are bad. I didn't hate them in The Wailing and I didn't hate them in Train to Busan or The Host or Stoker or Memories of Murder or The Handmaiden or any other Korean movie I've seen.

It probably is, some I've only watched once and just want to rewatch em, like the anime stuff. 4 of them I haven't seen. I'd say half of the movies there imo are better than the Wailing.

Korea don't do horror so well desu They're better at bloody thrillers, plot twists and mysteries.

I get where you're going, still I think you're reaching. It was just the typical Horror-Comedy. Shifts between "serious" scenes and humor are just normal to the genre. Also, the interaction between Rambo and his wife were humorous as well oftentimes.

Shit Goes Sideways: The Movie

I remember liking it though, even if I was drunk as shit.

youtube.com/watch?v=mHkchrIKKog
my feelings exactly

It wasn't submitted to any film registry as a comedy. If you search for it, it's typically labeled as an action or horror movie.

With that said, you don't have to agree with me. Just explaining my POV. It's good to have differing opinions.

And again—I have nothing against tonal shifts. I think you have the wrong idea of the point I'm trying to make. My only point is Korean film is often inclusive of many different tones, especially in terms of conjoining tragedy and comedy.

I've seen most of the films on that list and liked them all except maybe a tale of two sisters which I found really underwhelming.

What did you think of shin godzilla? I loved it.

I agree, I had no idea what I was watching I too thought it was supposed to be dark comedy or some thing.

Ending made me feel bad. Bleh. It's only good (I'm assuming) symbolic scene of the devil makes up for it, but the ending was too much of a downer for me.

Haven't watched it yet. I waited for the 1080 uncut version to drop.

You didn't like 2 sisters? Did you get ALL the twists? the stepmum was never there, the whole movie is her imagination. only her and the father are actually in the house, it's basically a film about a dad trying to keep his daughter from going crazy