Why is the BBC so obsessed with being 'progressive' with Doctor Who?

Why is the BBC so obsessed with being 'progressive' with Doctor Who?

Pic related, the new gay companion.

Other urls found in this thread:

telegraph.co.uk/tv/0/doctor-new-companion-bill-potts-gay-actress-says-time/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Because Britain is a dying country

Her face looks British

She is AFRICAN

Well they had british colonies

Is she Muslim and transgender as well? That would complete the quintfecta of oppression.

>the name of the channel is BBC

Who gives a shit? It's a silly show for children. I'm fairly certain the only reason it maintains a general is because of 5 or so guys in their 30's jerking each other off.

Because they've ran out of stories.

Oh I thought marshmallow was the gay one.

s-stop bullying moffat

Bill is a lesbian? Source please.

telegraph.co.uk/tv/0/doctor-new-companion-bill-potts-gay-actress-says-time/

>Doctor Who's new companion Bill Potts is gay, it was revealed today - and the actress behind the character, Pearl Mackie, has said that she welcomes the increased representation for LGBTQ people on television.
>Mackie also said that, when she was a child, she suffered from not seeing many mixed race people on screen, and that it is important for children and young people to be able to watch characters that they can identify with.
>"It shouldn't be a big deal in the 21st Century. It's about time isn't it?" she told the BBC.
>"That representation is important, especially on a mainstream show."

>She then added: "It's important to say people are gay, people are black - there are also aliens in the world as well so watch out for them.
>"I remember watching TV as a young mixed race girl not seeing many people who looked like me, so I think being able to visually recognise yourself on screen is important."

>"[Being gay] is not the main thing that defines her character - it's something that's part of her and something that she's very happy and very comfortable with."
>The new series of Doctor Who begins on BBC One on Saturday 15 April, and Mackie's first episode will be titled The Pilot.
>Ahead of the new series, there has been excitement over the recent announcement that the show is planning to bring back one of the Doctor's most iconic enemies: the Mondasian Cybermen.

Because the show's ratings have fallen way the fuck down in the past few years and the BBC is trying everything they can to keep it afloat.

So we get a gay companion but still have to hold out on a transgender companion? Damn it, /who/, looks like I have no reason to cease the meme. This is one show were a transgender character would be most welcomed and yet it still doesn't do it.

It says the actress is mixed race.

So this is probably why she looks British.

you've got a better chance of a transgender companion under chinballs

Because the fanbase is cancer and they are doing fanservice

They couldn't gay up fucking Clara that pretty much ended up living forever with the globin girl, they have to gay up this uggu new bitch...fuck them...

The Master became a woman once, I don't know, I stopped watching, but I think this counts as transgender.

Underrated post

I'm mixed race and have never had this problem. I identify as a human being so as long as the medium portrays characters with an accurate level of humanity, thats okay by me.

Dr Who has been hemorraghing viewers since Matt Smith left

This will probably lead to the next cancellation.

Lots of people are superficial as fuck though and find it easier to self-insert when a character looks like them and/or has something in common (like sexuality). That's what's provoking all of this new representation, people aren't happy if their role models don't share enough superficial characteristics with them