Yes

depends
what's your name?

Why is that important?

Zack Snyder

Joss Whedon

damn this really is kino

youtube.com/watch?v=t6Hp2WANepc

Merlin: STAND BACK! Be silent! Be still!... That's it... and look upon this moment. Savor it! Rejoice with great gladness! Great gladness! Remember it always, for you are joined by it. You are One, under the stars. Remember it well, then... this night, this great victory. So that in the years ahead, you can say, 'I was there that night, with Arthur, the King!' For it is the doom of men that they forget.

I usually file this one under 'flawed masterpiece'

There's a lot I like about the film, and I have some personal nostalgia for it, but there are a couple glaring flaws that prevent me from really calling it great.

There is some really weak acting in here, the sound design is fucking horrible and dated, and hazy blooming soft-focus is way overused.

Script almost works but ultimately has to cover way too much material in way too short of a time. The only reason it even comes close to working is because we're already familiar with the story.

Percival's bits are really great too.

Nobody shall wield Excalibur...

BUT MEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

Everything in the movie is great. Merlin is just the best character in the movie. Saw it first time when I was 10 years old. Blew me away.

yes

no

Is that from memory? Imma try the knighting scene. I've wept to this scene:

>In the name of God, St. Michael and St. George, I give you the right to bear arms and the power to mete justice.
>That duty I will solemnly obey. As knight and king.
>Rise King Arthur. I swear allegiance to the courage in your veins, so strong it is, its source must be Uther Pendragon. I doubt you no more.

Prob not 100% but close.

Fantasy kino in its best with original Conan the Barbarian and Sword and the Sorcerer.

Not from memory. Have almost whole script in txt. Just took it from there because I like Merlin.

>Conan the Barbarian
I an 100% with you there. I consider that and Excalibur the best of the S&S subgenre by a wide margin. But The Sword and the Sorcerer is a 5/10. Can't support you there.

It's beautiful, it's smart, it's perfectly scored.

Yes. Yes it is kino

That weird haziness was unavoidable since it rained constantly during filming and left weird look over everything. But that just heightens the mystical and ethereal quality since it's like we're peeking back in time to the imaginary era where King Arthur really existed. That final meeting between him and Merlin gives me such a weird feeling I can't put my finger on just from the way that scene is set.
youtube.com/watch?v=uE9fN89Jc0Y

Damn, I was so close!

no. it's a fucking awful movie I was meme'd into watching by you guys.

There is no structure or plot. I found myself so fucking bored only 10 minutes in and believe me, I TRIED to watch this shit hoping it would get better because from all the pictures and grids I've seen, it looks fantastic. But no, it's terrible, the story isn't there, the acting is LAUGHABLE. I was literally laughing out loud during scenes. Cringe worthy. Shitty, bad. Don't waste your time. Just admire the beautiful post and grids and leave your mind in mystery about this movie. It's not worth a watch.

I was really glad it didn't follow Malory and White's cuckery. It was good how it was Guinevere's betrayal that triggered the Grail hunt.

you must think Drive, Gravity or Inception is greatest movie ever made...

go watch Harry Potter (aka the dullest franchise in film history) you fucking piece of shit

Me too, I started laughing at how bad it was, decided to take it as comedy.

By the end I was weeping, moved by sheer beauty.

It helps to know that Excalibur wasn't going for either a faithful 1-1 retelling of the myth or something historic. The acting and setwork were intentionally done with a dream-like, mythic cast. That's why you've got the super stylized armor even though it makes no sense for the period. That armor is used, and many shots are the way they are, because it's mean to make you think of the archetype and the myth of Camelot and Arthur. Excalibur is the Arthurian myth through the lens of Jungian theory: archetypes, birth, death, rebirth.

When you keep that in mind while watching it, it adds another level of enjoyment to the film.

t. atheist, post-modernist materialist

Must listen for anyone who likes Excalibur

youtube.com/watch?v=D8Ro73vofC8

Really dives into the Christian and traditionalist themes of the film

WHERE IS THAT FUCKING DOCUMENTARY

KIKESTARTER CUNTS HAVE HOARDED IT FOR YEARS NOW WHERE IS IT

somewhat like bladerunner influenced scifi films for several decades, excalibur influenced jackson's lotr and tv shows like game of thrones in both visual presentation, thematic content and tone

the symbolic complexity of the movie, and its christian references, without being heavyhanded is rare

its one of the most underrated and underappreciated movies

At first it was going to be Lord of the Rings, but Boorman didn't got the rights, and I am glad, because without he wouldn't make the masterpiece what we got....

It was about 35 degrees F when they filmed that scene. You can see them both shivering like crazy.
Also this was right after they both got stepped on by a pissed off horse because Arthur jumped on it to knock Uryens into the water.

>the story isn't there

Is this the level of criticism to be expected from user? Surely this must be bait.

I heard about this, can somebody fill me in?

Man, you are a fucktard. The first film was pretty fucking good. The others, meh. Boorman would have produced a masterpiece akin to Excalibur. He directed Deliverance you fucking cocksucking jackass. Kill yourself and rid the world of one more insignificant cunt.

>we will never get Boorman's Lord of the Rings Kino

Excalibur is a good replacement though

I fucking love Excalibur.
I remember when it came out,I went to the theater every night for a week to watch it. Aometimes I'd sit through both shows.

>shivering like crazy
It totally worked to showcase Uryens' internal struggle.

Morgana: Your eyes never leave me, Merlin.
Merlin: Can't I acknowledge beauty?
Morgana: Can't you acknowledge... love? Perhaps you ache for what you've never known.
Merlin: Perhaps you lust for what you cannot have.

You're right but Excalibur most if not all modern mainstream fantasy just heightens and forces ugliness but never the beauty or mysticism Excalibur did, the movie is of course super violent but Arthur's last talk with Guinevere at the end drives home the "dream of what could be", Arthur's dream of the better world that will come again one day. That's really just a big running thing with a great deal of Arthurian myth that modern fantasy just ignores in favor of tits and violence and shitting squatting in the grass and tax policy.

>I remember when it came out
lmao how old are you grandpa

The music is fantastic.
Also Nichol Williamson's Merlin is wonderful. He has that mystic/eccentric/frightening thing going on.
Also...Morgana.Helen Mirren was so fucking hot.

Why does that picture always make me so somber?

A few years ago there was a kickstarter project to make a documentary about the movie, involving all the surviving actors including Patrick Stewart and Liam Neeson etc. It was successfully funded and made but has NEVER been seen outside the backers. At least I haven't fucking found it anywhere. What's even more insulting to me is that the Blu-Ray has fuckall on it too about how the movie was made.

I think the new directors pushed the modern realism too much. Of course, if its HBO, its gonna needs tits and whoring also. Otherwise they'd lose the millenials.

Astute observations about the mysticism.

Don't they release them for regular people to buy after they fund it though? Some anons posted about Merlin and Morgana hating each other on set, would be interesting to learn more about production. Phaggots man...

Safe to say I'm the oldest person you'll talk to today on Sup Forums!

Forgot it got Neeson, but I never forgot it got hot Helen Mirren. Have to watch it again someday...

I'd shank a motherfucker for a copy of that.

One of the best British films ever tbqh.

Some of the first movies I remember seeing in the theater were Star Wars and Saturday Night Fever.

>Also...Morgana.Helen Mirren was so fucking hot.

Yes.

Someone have that webm of Percival returning Excalibur?

If I would've been Arthur, I'd done Morgana too... Actually, I still would...

youtube.com/watch?v=7Ll4qS4anGo

literally my favorite film ending of all time

Kino

Damn, Helen Mirren looks like THAT?

No, but it's breddy good fantasy

Go watch it again. She is amazing in that movie.

Beautiful.

They did. Helen Mirren and Nicol Williamson were lovers, and they went through a nasty breakup while working together on Macbeth. Which had a whole other set of issues that caused them to really start hating each other.
By the time Excalibur started shooting, she was involved with Liam Neeson (Gawain).

Youngster.
The earliest I can remember is seeing 2001, and Patton with my dad.

>Damn, Helen Mirren looks like THAT?
She DID. She was a hot piece of ass back in the day.

>There is no structure or plot.
Whenever someone like you doesn't like a movie, they always spout this criticism. It's completely retarded, because there was a clear plot. You just had too short of an attention span to focus on the movie and notice it.

It took them 3 days to get that shot of the crow pulling out the dead knight's eye.

youtube.com/watch?v=1YOL-Cm5RmQ

I must have her.....

Didn't know all that, thanks.
>Macbeth
Is it any good? I've seen Polanski's and the latest was also pretty great.

Lovely buttocks.

Lovely blonde legs.

Fassbender's Macbeth is pretty good, in same vein with Valhalla Rising. Absolutely watchable but doesn't have the magic.

Goddammit I didn't need to cry twice today.

Post her tits, gents.

>Absolutely watchable but doesn't have the magic.

I don't know if you're talking "fantasy" magic or "movie" magic, but I thought it was a fantastic adaptation, visually as well as story wise, with the creative changes from the play. Haven't seen Valhalla Rising.

Merlin: Looking at the cake is like looking at the future, until you've tasted it what do you really know? And then, of course, it's too late.

Bad ass. Rock on, brother!

Now once more I must ride with my knights, to defend what once was... and the dream of what could be.

Still would.

Too late.

Now that I think of it, there is quite a bit of cuckoldry in this film.

What did Satan mean by this?

It's part of the original legend.

Ugh. Even that fucking poster looks amazing.

There's no where near as much cuckoldry as there is in Malory's version. Fucking french self-inserting into the story.

Mordred: Come, Father. Let us embrace at last.

>Zack Snyder says it's his favorite movie
>Now everyone calls it kino
You're all sheep

Practical effects done right.

I've loved this movie since I was a kid, so you can fuck right off with your Snyder memery.

>mfw I was thinking someone was gonna post Helen Mirren's tits.

Why was Orion absolute kino, are there any studios like this that make big budget epics like this? Pretty sure they went out of business a long while ago. This is another kino flick from them.

Who?

Like'd it before I knew who Hack-snyder was...

One of my favorite shots from ANY movie.

hurr, the posters made me think they were the same production company. I'm thinking of Cannon. They made some good flicks too.

I would have been cuck if Lancelot would have been my Bro and Guinevere my Queen.

The ayy woman in that has one of the best bodies in cinema.

>Lancelot
Motherfucker can't keep it in his pants and brings down the the best kingdom of all time.

Douche.