Boston Red Sox

>Boston Red Sox
>Pittsburgh Penguins
>Dallas Cowboys
>Toronto Raptors

Why are American sport teams' names so cringy and sound like a 5 year old created them?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Church_of_Jesus_Christ_of_Latter-day_Saints
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

>[city name] United
>[city name] FC
>[city name] City

Pittsburgh Penguins and Toronto Raptors are fucking stupid, but there is literally nothing wrong with Dallas Cowboys and Boston Red Sox.

This.
Also the pens were named this because their fromer arena was nicknamed the "igloo" and for the alliteration. Cowboys are named this because of the huge cattle chains in the 1880s-1890s with lots of literal cowboys protecting them, but we wouldnt expect you to know that.

The Cowboys also got that name because the person who created the franchise was originally apart of the Redskins organization but due to disagreements with the owner, left to make a new sports franchise in Dallas. Initially the Redskins owner tried to block the move since they were the de facto bandwagon for Southerner NFL fans, but the guy making the Cowboys owned the rights to the Redskins fight song, and blackmailed him to unblock the creation of a new Dallas team in exchange for getting the rights for the Redskins to continue using the song.

Naming the new franchise the “Cowboys” was in part because it was an appropriate name for a new team that already had bad blood with a team named the “Redskins”.

but what the fuck is a seahawk

If I ever own a team, im naming them Yeezy boys

The Toronto Raptors are literally named that because they voted on the team name right after Jurassic Park came out.

Cringe.

NBA has the worst names
>Nuggets
>Raptors
>Lakers
>Clippers
>Nets
Only league that comes close is MLB, but most of those teams were named before people actually gave a shit.

NFL and NHL at least have some creative ones.

>Jazz

MLB has by far the classiest logos and uniforms though so it balances out

MLB has the biggest extreme of great names and shit names of any American sport.

Yankees, Reds, Phillies, Mets, Dodgers, Braves, Twins, Athletics and Red/White Sox are all great unique names.

Angels, Rockies, Padres, and every single nonsensical animal name that has no relevance to the geographical location of the team is shit.

There is nothing wrong with the clippers name, it has to do with the historic clipper ship in the US

>toronto
>american

NFL names are horrible though. There are a few cool ones, but half the league is just named after birds, another 1/4th of the league is named after a different non-bird animal, then there’s only a small minority of teams with names who are neither birds, non-bird animals, or some Greek mythological bullshit and have actual relevance to a team’s location like Cowboys, Steelers, Patriots, Packers, and Vikings.

And Nuggets were named because of the Colorado gold rush, doesn't make it a good name.

>Manchester Ethiad
>Barcelona Qatar Foundation
>Bayern T-Mobile

an osprey

While I agree somewhat, you'll get that in any league. Even the NHL, which has my favorite team names, has some names that make no sense like the Predators, Panthers, and Penguins.

At least most of the animal names in the NFL make sense for their location, like the Broncos, Dolphins, Eagles, and (at least historically) Cardinals.

I don't see how Rockies is a terrible name.
It at least has some geographical context.

fpbp

what the hell is this autism?

>Angels
are in Anaheim, a suburb of LA, the City of Angels

The best names in the NHL are the ones that aren’t animals. Just about all the Canadian teams have good names except Calgary, plus Bruins, Red Wings, Rangers, Blue Jackets, Avalanche, and Stars especially is amusing to me because they just took out the “North” when they moved to the Lone Star State making it both related to the area and cucking Minnesota out of reusing it on their 2nd franchise.

Rockies is actually a decent name by itself, but the logo is complete trash which poisons the name for me.

Hating on “Jazz” is unforgivable. Easily a top 3 name in the NBA.

>Bruins, Red Wings, Rangers, Blue Jackets, Avalanche, and Stars
I hope you were saying these were great names, if so good taste.
And the NHL has the least amount of non-geographical animal names of any US sports league, I can only really think of the Preds, Panthers, and Penguins, and Ducks. Coyotes and Sharks, too, but they are great names imo.

Meanwhile I feel the opposite about the Cardinals. Dumb generic bird name, but birds on the bat is one of very few non-lettermark logos that looks good.

Was GOAT when they were still in NO.
Is trash now that they're in Utah.

Why are british sports teams named after american trucks?

>Minnesota Vikings
WE

I was indeed saying they were good. I don’t even like Hockey, but the NHL overall has pretty good team names and aesthetic logos.

A Bruin is a bear

Agreed. Should move the Jazz back to NO and then move the Saints to Utah and rename the team the “Utah Latter Day Saints”

>Is mad that Wops never got an American sports team named after their diaspora

the MLS team names have improved a fair bit and are less outlandish, thankfully. do like the classic ones like Tampa Bay Rowdies and New York Cosmos though.
the likes of Dallas Burn never quite hit the same spot

MLS teams are pretty trash in terms of name
>Real Salt Lake
>[City Name] FC
>Sporting Kansas City
They're trying to be European so bad I actually feel embarrassed.

Yeah but the Bruins have been around before naming for geography was common practice, and there are actually black bears in Massachusetts.

MLS is far FAR fucking away the worst American sports league in terms of names. I admit American sports leagues sometimes have pretty silly names, but at least it’s definitively American. American sports teams copying European club names, especially when the teams are franchises and not clubs is the peak of faggotry.

but why are almost all of them looking to the right????

>Angels
Los Angeles means 'The Angels' in spanish

>Rockies
Colorado is all about muh mountains

>Padres
San Diego was founded by friars

You picked some really shitty examples, those all have regional significance. If you want an example of stupid names look at ones like Detroit Tigers or Pittsburgh Pirates

>and there are actually black bears in Massachusetts

Ironically the term 'Bruin' means brown bear

Their shoulder patches are black bears though

rent free

I know, but thats to match the colour scheme. The bruins started off wearing brown and yellow but stopped because it looked like shit and piss.

They call that marketability, user

most of the good names have been relocated out of existence

What else are you going to call Toronto cause it certainly isn't canadian

>He doesn't rate the Brooklyn Italians of the NPSL

>[city name] FC
but thats the only way it should, fatty mclardo

because you're stupid.

Fpbp

>non white using a meme to refer to someone else as non white
Ironing

chemical colours of steel

In England, you've got the Gunners, Blues, Cherries, Hammers, Toffees...how is that any better or worse?

Because amerimutts are mentally on the level of 5 year olds.

They're affectionate nicknames and not part of the club's name, for a start my dense friend.

They were given historically to the team by the supporters, they might have several nicknames, some might come and go with the years.

They weren't just part of a marketing scheme dreamed up by an expansion franchise™ ten, thirty or fifty years ago like yours are.

>Pittsburgh Pirates
Kek, isn't that city in pensylvannia?

>not the utah mormons

wew those last three you picked were full blown retard lmao

a lot of the names in american sports predate any franchising, my uninformed friend.

>they're affectionate nicknames
Used in official marketing. And some baseball names were also originally fan nicknames. The Cubs, the Yankees, the Tigers, the Phillies, the Pirates, the Reds...

Tigers was the nickname of Detroit's minor league team before they joined the AL

> Red Sox
> Cowboys

I don't see these as cringy. The Raptors is a stupid fucking name. I'll give you that. Penguins? Idk...hockey is played in the cold on ice, dumbass. Thought I concede other is a pretty dumb name.
I think the Cincinnati Bengals is a little cringy.

> Tfw your states only team got a great name that fits the area

>Teams named after articles of clothing.

>Tottenham Hotspur
>Woolwich Arsenal
>Manchester United

> Philadelphia Eagles
> Philadelphia
> The city where America was built
> Eagles
> America's symbol is a bald eagle

That's a perfectly fine bird selection that is relevant to the history of the city.

> ITT cry baby britbong that is just mad his teams aren't capable of their own branding

Don't worry, user. We know your games are just big advertisements.

This. Lots of team names have actual cultural significance

>American sport teams
>toronto raptors

you prick

It always gets me that local US teams call themselves [something] United, even though they are not an union of anything. Probably because they only know of ManUre and think it's what you should call a club. At least I haven't seen a [something] Wednesday yet.

Sheffield Wednesday

always reminds me of an old timey kitchen appliance logo

I get the others, but what's the problem with the red sox?

>a fucking leaf
learn basic geography before you call others non white johnny ching chong

The Latter Day Saints are Mormon.
>en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Church_of_Jesus_Christ_of_Latter-day_Saints

>portugal
>white
Wew

The best is the Devils because it’s based on an old legend of the Pine Barren Devil

A lot of teams move around in the USA. The Los Angeles Dodgers are originally from New York City and named because of subway dodgers in NYC. The San Fransisco Giants are also from NYC. Indianapolis Colts are from Baltimore originally. The Los Angeles Lakers were from Michigan (Great Lakes). Utah Jazz started in New Orleans.

Manchester United isn't a union of anything either, they just thought it sounded cool when they founded the club