UNPOPULAR OPINION THREAD: GUITAR EDITION

UNPOPULAR OPINION THREAD: GUITAR EDITION

I'll start
1) Compression is for faggots
2) The Boss Metal Zone isn't that bad
3) Tonewood is entirely bullshit

Attached: fc81a6f80a585e3da987466e9ec8f49445ad0d94.jpg (2160x3840, 773K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=nxRe99Tjlwg
youtube.com/watch?v=VNMQtnxDxVY
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Solid state amps provide the purest sound

the 1st and 3rd points i can get behind

>1) Compression is for faggots
>2) The Boss Metal Zone isn't that bad

Oh look, someone who doesn't know shit. What do you think distortion is, you retarded faggot

Bro, the MT-2 isn't that bad if you're in a drop tuning, or using a 7+ string. You just gotta run it through the effect loop.

youtube.com/watch?v=nxRe99Tjlwg

I know exactly what I'm talking about.

Distortion is overmodulating the signal in specific ways.

Compression is boosting quiet parts of a signal, and limiting louder parts to even out the levels.

Those are two very different things. Are you thinking of overdrive or something?

This user does in fact know what he is talking about

The look of a guitar is vastly more important than the tone.

Electric is dead. Acoustic is the way of the future.

If you run the boss through a pre amp it's not bad at all, compression does suck balls, Tonewood is an amp or a wood used in acoustics. Amps sucks, depends on the wood.

Yeah, I should have been more specific. Tonewood is bullshit for electric guitars. Acoustics can definitely be affected by wood type. But I still think it's overemphasized.

The Plek machine can make a guitar play better than the best luthier.

it's only overemphasized with rare woods or really Hard wood. There is a science behind it but there is also a marketing dept as well.

depends on the genre.

Is that the thing that does perfect fretjobs with laser precision?

Kurt Cobain was a better guitarist than Steve Vai.

Buckethead sucks and is boring

yes.

Guitar players are almost always retarded.

Also, kurt is an overrated mumble singer.

Attached: 19znwe.jpg (900x900, 60K)

and truss adjustments, string alignment, nut shape, and string height.

Congrats, you're wrong about all three and have exactly zero knowledge of dynamics. Wannabe metal bro.

It's true. I would rather get a beautiful guitar with shitty pickups, than an ugly chunk of wood with the best pickups on the market. You can swap pickups easily if you don't like your tone.

Steve is better at technical riffs but Kurt is great at theory and the ability to put emotion into a composition.

YOU are a retarded, overrated mumble singer, faggot.

The Line 6 Spider amp sounds good enough...

Brian May has a degree in physics.....

People like OP killed electric guitar.

Oh shit, maybe I haven't heard of it. How much does it cost to run your baby through one of them? My LP needs a tune-up.

So only electric? Ergonomics are also key to a good playing guitar. Acoustics are a completely different animal....

Dynamics are for faggots and jews.

I have 4 degrees, that doesnt make me smart it makes me in debt.

That's true. Yeah, I guess I'm only referring to electrics. I don't play acoustic much anymore, so I didn't even think of that.

You won't hear any argument from me.

depends on what needs to be fixed/adjusted. Sometimes a few hundred, but that's more for a person who does it for a living on a $2,000 guitar. I've had it come out to $300 before on an esp ltd. They also clean and resurface though.

Exactly. Yeah, there's a pretty sharp curve of diminishing returns for guitars in general.

$200 to $1000? Huge difference.
$2000 to $5000? Tiny difference.

And so is that faggot from dream theater. In fact everyone in dream theater blows.

But if it's too heavy or a dumb shape or has knobs in a weird place it could look great but play like shit.

yeah, pretentious boomer crap. Rush for Faggots.

You’re referring to a les Paul

kys

I love my LP

Attached: 20190603_190258 (1).jpg (2274x3810, 1.45M)

What the fuck is this abomination of a guitar anyway. There is no way anyone who would play that would have a single right opinion about guitar

That is a really really bad comparison because Kurt didn’t really know theory and Steve Via knows is extremely emotionally connected to his instrument.

I kinda like heavy guitars honestly. lol

I have a master's degree and no debt. Git good.

Ok, let me rephrase that. Unbalanced.

I think Mustaine played one for a while.

overrated.

KEK

It's a 3D model I made. It's based on the guitar from Brutal Legend.

Attached: Untitled-1.jpg (3840x2160, 534K)

>heavy
>dumb shape
>knobs in weird place
>plays like shit
Yup....les paul

Fair point. I do think comfort is important as well. I just think tonality takes a back seat to looks.

looks like a flying v but gayer.

I repeat, kys.

Attached: IMG_20190909_162734.jpg (960x892, 98K)

1)The Klon Centaur is an overrated pedal that has been done better by several modern boutique companies.
2) Joe Satriani's tone is shit.
3) Band of Gypsys was self-indulgent horseshit and Hendrix was past his prime during that era.

well shit, okay then

Attached: 1560323959487.jpg (659x487, 38K)

Well that depends on pick ups, bridge, nut shape, strings, amp settings, pedals, neck length and tuning.....

I sold mine and bought an old fender P-bass and some cocaine. Worth it.

Sure, sure. But more importantly:

>Fully
>Fucking
>Check'd.

Attached: 1561012536284.png (709x960, 586K)

Sorry, I just hate the ergonomics on guitars like that. They look cool and all but suck to practice unless you always stand.

Lul ur right it's a nice render. Still ugly

Niceee

C.C. DeVille can slay almost any player out there

Allan Holdsworth was a meme guitarist who made questionable note choices over uninspired vamps.

He can't even play his own riffs anymore. KEK

Attached: 50centdriving.gif (300x169, 1.18M)

You could play classical style. But they definitely are clunky as hell. But the real bastards to play are the K/X shaped ones, like the Kelly.

I recently got a Chapman Ghost Fret, and it just doesn't sit right. You'd think that narrow spot would work fine, but it's just awkward.

Attached: GFP-DSK_2_1024x1024 (1).png (1000x1000, 312K)

Bc rich makes shit guitars.

>it's a nice render
Thanks man.

>Still ugly
Aww come on

Attached: 1524113963143.jpg (800x733, 59K)

you have to play classical style which sucks for tremolo unless you retrain stance.

Poorfags Dean.

Dumble ODS's are literally worse versions of Fender Bassman's with a Tubescreamer in front.

the strings go woho wa wa wa weeee wo

Yeah, pretty much. I have been trying to practice classical style though. I hear it's better than playing flat, because it's closer to how you hold it while standing, and so the practice translates better when you're actually performing. Makes sense in theory anyway.

any recommendations on how to get started learning guitar?

Nice,keep hoping to see an HD port of that game but double fine is owned by kikes now. If you got 1300 dollars I know some peeps who can make it for you.

Why is the culture of guitarists so toxic?
When I worked at Guitar Center (in keyboards/pro audio) it was very obvious that guitarists always had the most resentment for people who had different tastes.

Attached: 10297-Steinway-Artcase-Upright-Piano_6.jpg (1973x1973, 677K)

yeah. practice

You think tone wood is bs until you play guitars made from swamp ash.

>1) I am a poorfag
>2) I have no ear for tone
>3) I have no concept of the differences between a live performance and a studio album, and nobody should listen to me.

We can tell.

Step 1: Buy a guitar
Step 2A: If you're in school, take a guitar class
Step 2B: If you're an adult, take lessons

It's kind of tough to get fundamentals down if you don't have someone to show you. And most importantly, practice the boring stuff as much as you do the fun stuff. Do you finger exercises, practice scales, etc.

Every BC Rich I've ever tried was doggy doo.

Dude, me too. That game was my dream game when it came out. I was a dedicated metalhead and a massive Jack Black fan.

And you mean, make a real version of the guitar?

Bc rich was alright in the 80s/90s but I. The 2000s they realized they could double their income by cutting out quality across the board and marketing to autistic teens.

>1) I frequent TGP bc I have no ear for tone and need to read (with my eyes) what sounds (with my ears) good.
>2) I'm a Guitar World subscriber
>3) I've read several "Greatest Live Albums of All Times" lists after clicking on what are obviously ads, but I'm too autistic to know that so I take those lists as gospel.

It's time to consider suicide, my friend.

Play a yamaha fg700, then a Martin D-28. Tonewood makes a difference. Not as much as say in acoustic (relies mostly on pickups for noise), but regardless tonewoods shape do shape tone.

I'd say it's because guitar is a very popular instrument. Any time there's more people doing something, there's bound to be more dickheads.

Also, Guitar Center is where musicians go to kill their love of music. The new kids are always so friendly and interested in the products. The older dudes seem genuinely hateful of the customer. lol

I think he's trying to get at the fact that distorting a guitar dignal will effectively compress the signal to some degree. Thay said, hes still a faggot

Just keep practicing, even if means just means randomly plucking strings, eventually youll start making basic tunes, then can learn to read tabs and play real music. If your electric start with a squire bullet, for acoustic look up Yamaha guitars. Again it's all about practice.

note: comparing an acoustic guitar to an electric. That was a pretty drunk stream of consciousness right there...... glug glug glug strum strum strum

They generally have the worst taste in music as well. They can’t see past the guitar.

Fair enough.

amend 3) to say Tonewood is bullshit when using hi-gain preamps
add 4) noise compressors are for noobs

Attached: 1433567382103.jpg (600x430, 94K)

What are you sippin on this evening user? Got me some vodka and Dr Pepper because I'm looking to get trashy on this friday night.

Maybe it was just my location, but the employees who specialized in guitars always left before it was ruined for them, or stuck around long enough to hate it. Our drum guys had been there forever and the pro audio guys stuck around too.
By far, the most welcoming and loving group of customers was the people into weird, ethnic percussion instruments.

I watched youtube tutorials and studied theory. I can keep up with guys that went to college and had lessons for it. It just takes drive, but some people are naturals at it. A lot of it is math when it comes to composition but finesse when it comes to playing.

Because most of picked up guitar to try and stand out, them we were 50 years too late and no one fucking cares. Now we just compete with ourselves, playing covers of 20 year old songs cause we realized we have zero creativity. Also, there's always an asian or European better than you.

I'm completely going to assume youve never played an actual high gain tube amp, and are new.

i concur

Attached: 3headedmonster.jpg (425x510, 33K)

youtube.com/watch?v=VNMQtnxDxVY

Why no love for the semi-hollow body =(

No, it’s BS.
Drop the same pickups into two different bodies and they will sound exactly the same.

Before Leo Fender came along, swamp ash was used for making shovel handles
He only used it because it was cheap and didn’t gum up his router bits with sap the way pine did.

Yes, you can send them you the model and fill out a form picking out everything you want on it