Still no big budget adaptation of the warlord chronicles

>still no big budget adaptation of the warlord chronicles

I want to see britons and saxons fight eachother in shieldwalls damnit.

Vikings and the Last Kingdom. Do we need moar adaptions? Also Last Kingdom is pigshit.

Watch LoTR if you want to watch fantasy

Vikings is shit though and the last kingdom is much better than that cringy bullshit.

I'm sure if done right this would be better than LoTR also the fantasy elements are pretty small until the last few chapters of the book.

It's one of those periods we'll never know much about, but there's zero evidence for any skirmishes whatsoever during the migration of the Angles, Saxons and Jutes into Britain. A film about the late Roman period would be good if it stuck to the panegyrics and other texts.

I'm not saying that they should base it off history, I want this book to become a tv series.
But it has to follow the books ofcourse else we'll get game of thrones levels of fuckery.
Also even if we don't know much I'm sure the britons tried to fight back the angles and saxons.

The Britons got badly fucked by Picts and Rome abandoned Britain after the army in Britain had supported Constantine III out of fear of an attack over the Rhine by germanics. He went to Gaul, won some battles but was killed by the Roman army. Honorius the Emperor decided to abandon Britain instead of quell rebellion. Britain appared to go downhill very fast, and when teh Saxosn got there they probably encountered a lot of abandoned vicus and towns, often livign outside them and recycling building materials from villas. Many werenb't armed, and they didn't know where to find the mines to make steel.

Last Kingdom is fucking Twilight movie tier trash. Vikings at least is semi intelligent.

Viking shield walls are essentially Roman shield wall lite.

The Romans would have absolutely sodomized the Vikings had they still existed. The vikings were little more than barbarians that did what they did because there was no more Roman empire to stop them. Most of the highly disciplines military tactics were lost with the rise of Christianity, the Dark Ages and the fall of the Roman empire.

I also read somewhere that one reason the saxons kept coming was because they had a small overpopulation going on in saxony so there were many people who needed lands.

Come the fuck on nigger.
>le stronk female jarl
>with her stronk female army
>she's also a lesbian when that shit was punishable by death

I get the idea that everyone in europe used shieldwalls.

Man, I'm so glad you posted this.
I was a young Italian user when they released this.
It made my youth.

Both are shit. But at least Ragnar and some other characters are well written and at least they semi follow the historical events. I have no words for how cringey the dialogue is in Last Kingdom and how poorly written the characters are.

King Arthur was a real piece of shit in these books, why was that necessary?

Wouldn't the gauls also fight in formation?
I thought they were pretty advanced.

>King Arthur was a real piece of shit in these books, why was that necessary?
We don't care.

How was he a piece of shit?
He seemed actually one of the best characters in the book virtue wise.
He tried to let the pagans and christians live together while both groups wanted to destroy the other.
Only time he might have been a cunt was after he found out that he got cucked but thats understandable.

He tries to manipulate everyone towards his own ends but is too stupid to actually make it work, makes a ton of retarded decisions then acts surprised when they bite him in the ass, disregards the bonds of camaraderie and friendship and gets so caught up in his retarded laws he disregards what's actually the right thing to do.

He understands that if you break laws yourself as a ruler or leader that the people beneath you won't follow them either and if they won't do that society will descend into anarchy.

The "barbarians" really are not inferior in terms of technology (in fact the legionaries "Gallic" helmets and "Spanish" swords are borrowed from them). They are inferior to Romans mainly in logistics and organization.

>there was no more Roman empire to stop them.

so how were the Romans going to stop the typical hit and run raids of the vikings?

they couldn't

The only thing vikings had going for it were ragnar and rollo and ragnar is dead now.
While the last kingdom lacks any good characters in general everything sucks less compared to vikings which has become one big cringefest now.

They could invade denmark, its not like the germanics had a navy which could stop the romans from sending supplies from gaul.

and severely overstretch themselves? they couldn't even conquer the Germanic tribes. Vikings are basically ennobled pirates and empires like the Roman empire can't really do anything against those raids

Its not like they have to conquer it.
They could just raid and pillage the place for slaves.
Besides it should be easier because of scandinavia being less densily populated then germania.

There's no repercussion in attacking the Romans, they're a docile peop-

Funny how the Romans didn't think of the native British population.

Just goes to show that even the greatest of nations are born from injustices and whose population is vastly underestimated.

I was wondering... is viking that bad up to the siege of paris? I palled to watch until that

Both are pigshit. You're just wrong on which sucks worse.

how would they even reach Scandinavia without going through Germania and we all know how that worked out..

copying the viking tactics makes no sense because the Roman had nothing to gain from raiding the Scandinavian settlements for slaves + that would not stop viking raids.

They either had to block the vikings ships from leaving their coastlines or straight up conquer the territory, both seem impossible for the Roman empire

But visiting their homes, fucking them, their children and their mothers and slaughtering all of them.

There was no overstretching. The only reason Rome never reached Scandinavia is that it already was heading towards a downfall and the empire was crumbling due to internal instability. They also did conquer the germanic tribes. Contrary to popular believe the Germanics didn't beat the shit out of the romans. They managed to ambush them properly three times, but in a head to head combat situation the roman empire wrecked them.

I'm sure the romans thought that roman lives were more important than local lives.

I don't think you properly know what happened in Germania.

They could send a fleet from gaul.

Vikings is absolute garbage, it's objectively the least historically accurate of the two, and it clearly wants that SJW money, and it shows.
If you unironically prefer Vikings then you're a plebeian, simple as that.

>There was no overstretching.

yeah right lol. the empire was a pain to administer and germania wasn't exactly a cultivated place like the nile region so yes if they conquered Germania they were nearing an overstretch.

i know the border stayed at the rhine. i think you forget that if Romans could have conquered more territory they surely would have, because military prowess mattered for ambitious Romans