What was the reasoning of giving Jacksonville an NFL franchise?

What was the reasoning of giving Jacksonville an NFL franchise?

Other urls found in this thread:

profootballhof.com/news/nfl-expansion-fees/
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

1. Large City, even at the time(Between 650-750k population, which even today would still place it in the top 20 populated cities- for the record they are presently 12th)

2. Actual viable turnout record. This comes from the Jacksonville Bulls, a USFL entry in the 1980's, but you don't sniff at a location that actually turned out for comparatively second-rate football.

3. Great weather. You don't scoff at Florida.

Granted, the metropolitan area was smaller than one would want(without grandfathering in a franchise like Green Bay that is), but that ultimately didn't matter.

ZERO OWLS.

lol fuck you, faguars.

They were seriously considering a move to London for a few years. Now would be the time to move a team to the UK if ever. There are only 8 home games and 4 a year seems to sell well at Wembley already. Imagine the shitposting if the brits got a fucking stacked young team like the Jags. They wouldn't even have to change the name, just have the car manufacturer involved somehow.

t. eagles fan

Name 5 cities better

than fucking Jacksonville?

I thought the Jaguars played in London

Sacramento, Oklahoma City, Tuscon, Orlando, San Diego, Austin, Louisville

fpbp

It's only a "large" city because it's land area is so big. It also has jackshit for suburbs compared to most cities

had to google tuscon

there are two parts to Jacksonville. illiterate swamp nogs and gun rack in the truck baptists. I'm surprised they don't have open carry at Jags games tbqhfamlam

Nah, Eagles fans stick up for the no owl teams in the AFC. For some reason we got a lot of love for the Chargers whether they know it or not

>Sacramento
covered by the 49ers
>OKC
all Cowboys fans
>Tuscon
Cardinals
>Orlando
possibly
>San Diego
Goodell may force the Chargers to go back there
>Austin
It'd be really difficult for a brand new expansion team to thrive in Texas considering the stranglehold the Cowboys hold on most of the state and the significance they hold to Texan identity as a whole. The only reason it worked in Houston was because they already had an established history as an NFL city due to the Oilers.
>Louisville
Kentucky may be an untapped market for pro sports which currently roots for like three different teams, but it's an abysmally small one. Population of only three million and zero chance in hell of anybody caring about their team outside of their borders.

to give white Georgians a team

All those black guys moving there would feel right at home.

Only half the year starting in 2020

So market research

I think it;s time to change Floridas borders. The shape very much resembles a gun. Extremely problematic.

The NFL retardedly gave Jacksonville a team instead of an actual sports city like Baltimore.

>*walks up to frat house party*
>chad: Name five brothers you know here

Because they've copied the NBA model for rigging and need a Sacramento-like posterboy for "we'll go to any lengths no matter how obvious to fix games" to deter any out-of-the-blue team from trying to compete

Ive been to Jacksonville and this is true. The "city limits" on I-10 start in the middle of nowhere.

Until youve lived the Jax Beach life, you dont know.

You're putting the problem wrong. You're not supposed to give a city a >franchise. Cities should build heir own teams from the ground up and compete for a spot in the highest tier.

more like Jackoffville lmao

Also, it’s key that there were some Southern businessmen willing to pony up the franchise expansion fee and get the stadium built.

That sounds great, but in America, if you pay the league the expansion fee and build the stadium, they’ll let you in (provided you time it right).

And it has paid off for the Jags.....

Franchise fee felt high at the time, but everything has inflated

profootballhof.com/news/nfl-expansion-fees/

>Orlando

(((The Glazers))) (yes, that includes the talking head from Fox Sports) will challenge anything and everything the moment a franchise even contemplates a move to Orlando, seeing it as ((their))) and Bucs territory as a whole, even though points east of town are equidistant to all three teams due to their proximity to I-95.

Remember these are the people played the FL state legislature like a fiddle so we, the people are basically paying the full tab for Raymond James Stadium via some hotel tax.

Give the Chargers to Tulsa.

better than... Jacksonville? nigga what is this a joke? are you from there and are so deluded that it's a relevant city at all?

REEEEEEE

Fuck TB I don't want to drive down I-4 hell to watch the NFL, especially when the Bucs barely qualify as "professional"

New York, London, Tokyo... maybe Shanghai

Fuck I don’t know. Jacksonville is one of the 5 best cities in the world

Khan can die choking on a million dicks

As part of his plans to move the Jags to London, he bought a Premiership team, Fulham FC.

Him being a fucking retard, he managed to tank the team with multiple consecutive relegations.

I'm ABNE 99% of the time, but I would cheer for the Shitriots over the JaguArse every time (AMENDOLA YOU DA MAN)

>Great weather. You don't scoff at Florida.

>120 degrees 100% humidity 8 months out of the year
>no fall or winter
>rains nine times a day
>four months of habital weather draws the worst humans from across the planet