Why Hollywood's writers might be headed for another strike

>There's seemingly more opportunities than ever for writers in Hollywood, between movies, TV and new digital services. But if the Writers Guild of America is not able to agree to a new contract before May, it all could come to a screeching halt, nearly a decade since the union's last strike that lasted 100 days and carried a billion-dollar price tag.

>The 20,000-member WGA is asking for higher wage minimums to compensate for what they see as lost work.

>According to the Hollywood Reporter, the episode-per-series tally dropped to an average of 13.2 in 2014-15, down from 18.8 three years earlier. TV writers earned an average of $194,478 in 2015 and film writers earned an average of $181,267 that same year, according to an earnings report released by WGA last summer.
money.cnn.com/2017/03/29/media/writers-strike-wga-2017/

It's ogre Hollywood if finished just like /mtv/

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=QD3u8f_hchU
youtube.com/watch?v=Of9kHpCv1ts
smartasset.com/mortgage/the-income-needed-to-pay-rent-in-the-largest-cities
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Hope they go on strike, they will expose the late night hacks like they did last time, and it wasn't Leno

>$194,478 per year
>$181,267 per year

I will never understand how people could possibly complain while making wages like this. I make ~$120,000 a year right now and I literally have more money than I know what to do with. I grew up poor, so maybe that has something to do with it, but even still this just seems so ridiculous to me.

Gotta have dem dere multiple properties in prime locations to rent slave people.

What was it they got last time? Pay increases if they worked on a show for more then a few years?

That just lead to writers getting fired after a year, and shows dropping in quality as a result

>$194,478 in 2015 and film writers earned an average of $181,267 that same year
What the fuck. It would be understadable if every script they produced was the next War and Peace, but the quality of screenplays in Hollywood movies is dogshit. Fire all these cunts

Because they're probably spending half of it on rent (gotta live in the best part of town) and the other half on drugs

They probably live in areas with prices adjusted to that level of income. Also coke, whatever other drugs they take,

the rent would have to be 10 thousand a month. I doubt it.

Who will write our shitty summer blockbusters now?

Keep in mind the hot chick from Big Bang Theory gets paid $1 million per episode

so is this before or after taxes?

Fucking hell, I'm a VFX artist and barely make like 30K a year.

You'd be surprised what can people ask if they know the other party has got it.

>Hollywood
>taxes

The place is full of Jews. Those taxes will be marginal.

so theyre complaining that less shows are padding out their length with filler, damn jews

>shitty writers make a 6 figure income and they're bitching

I fucking hate Hollywood.

I'm sitting in Hollywood right now and I'm currently in the process of looking for a new apartment. Prices are steep, but there are definitely FAR more expensive cities in America (NY, SF etc). Assuming you don't have kids, you could live a fantastic life out here on 180k. Going by yearly salary/40 (standard housing spend), you would be able to spend a max of 4.5k a month on rent. I can find tons of 2 bed/2 bath units on apartments.com in just about any LA neighborhood in that range. I know fuck all about childcare costs but I imagine you could easily raise a family here on 180k as well.

>less work
>less money
>protest

Literally communism.

she's hot, she deserves it. maybe if the writers were hot they'd earn more? too bad they're mostly schlubby white males.

thats how much they make from one script they sell for a movie, writers sell a movie script maybe once every 2 or 3 years if they are lucky and often times studios just buy the scripts and shelve them just so another studio cant make the movie

>you could live a fantastic life out here on 180k

Yeah. But how extravagant would it be?

Good. They're worthless anyway
Let the fresh blood come in

Just move to the where the Mexicans are.
t. lived in highland park

>TV writers earned an average of $194,478 in 2015 >film writers earned an average of $181,267
WAT? I always thought movie-makers earn several times what TV-makers do

>Guy on the far left is wearing a CP shirt and having way too much fun
>Wanda Sykes (black lady, between the man and woman who are right in front)
>The two women on the far left are both repping Dipset on their shirts for some reason

why wouldn't you demand to make as much as you could?

They're all lesbians

didn't they start getting royalties for streaming, DVD sales, etc. rather than just network syndication

Gibs me da money for writing le funny quip scenes xD

I hate jews so much

TV writing is a regular gig with salary, while most film writers (unless you're hot, up and coming one with high demand) are freelancers where they are lucky if they sell one big script every couple of years.

Burn down Hollywood, it's the only way.

>Film is at it's worst state it's ever been, with cinema attendance at an all-time critical low
>Movies flopping
>Nothing but garbage remakes
>Writers want to strike for MORE money

>make $200,000 a year
>strike for more money

I don't get it, why don't Hollywood let those writers go (if they strike) and hire new writers? Legitimately asking, by the way.

Contracts. They can't "let them go". I'm serious btw. Writer's Guild or whatever their union is called and all that shit.

Well, when you look at how much the producers, actors and directors make, they're not that unreasonable. Every movie needs to have a script. Even if all these blockbusters etc. are critically shat upon and shit, most of them make hundreds of millions worldwide. The super big ones gross over 1 billion.

Isn't it fair that the writers get paid more too? The movie WOULDN'T exist without them.

if you are a scab, union thugs come in your house and break your legs, true story.

also there are probably some laws now that prevent hollywood from hiring non guild members

at least there isn't anything good running that a writer's strike would kill

Besides there are enough bought and shelved scripts that a strike is completely meaningless.

This would be the case if writers actually deserved the money, but they've been doing nothing but churn out garbage shit and remakes.

I hope they starve. Maybe it will give them some ideas that aren't fucking garbage.

The other side of that is someone was paid obscene amounts to write bayformers, the DCEU, etc

It's a very competitive industry. It's either that or not get paid. It's funny how creative people can never, ever do something for the money.

oh right, because it's the writers who decide what movies get made and not the studio heads, who just push for more remakes and sequels because they're safer and far more likely to make money than original ideas.

Someone got paid to write Boss Baby.
Fuck (((Hollywood))), let that shit burn

I never got that shot American culture. Are union workers really THAT violent?

>don't write shitty movies
>shitty movies don't get made

... so how are the writers not to blame here?

>TV writers earned an average of $194,478 in 2015 and film writers earned an average of $181,267 that same year, according to an earnings report released by WGA last summer.
fucking kikes

>Hollywood
>writers
So just transcribing comic books into screenplays and writing remakes of already-popular material is considered "writing" now. These hacks really think they deserve even more money? Top kek.

>often times studios just buy the scripts and shelve them just so another studio cant make the movie
this is what I learn form entourage

You should look into how many scripts are written every year, how many are sold and how many are made.

Would maybe change your opinion a bit.

No, this isn't a 1940s gangster movie. If any Union fags came to my house, they would get shot.

Yes. They are SJW (not the same as what we think of social justice on the internet) and all SJW are fucking insane.

SJW have been using violence (even bombs in the 60s/70s) to advance their cause.

For decades the various mafias ran the unions.

90% of them are adaptations of little known comics and novels/short stories/foreign movies. YOU look that up.

nobody is going to sympathize with you

T.hack hollyjew writer

How's that new Superman/Power Rangers crossover script coming along? I heard Harry Potter might make a cameo. Fucking awesome bro. Can't wait to tell all my reddit friends.

>Well, when you look at how much the producers, actors and directors make, they're not that unreasonable. Every movie needs to have makeup. Even if all these blockbusters etc. are critically shat upon and shit, most of them make hundreds of millions worldwide. The super big ones gross over 1 billion.

>Isn't it fair that the makeup artists get paid more too? The movie WOULDN'T exist without them.

In a good capitalist system there are no useless people involved in making a movie, if they were valuable they'd be getting a raise on their own without needing every writer to strike at once. If I was Hollywood I'd just have HR break out the scripts sent to studios and hire the writers of the best ones as scabs.

Nah, you would piss your pants and cave in like a good little cuck.

I've been intimidated by a union worker once. He had 4 guys backing him up. It was fucking scary and he didn't even hurt me, just told me to act a certain way or else.

unions were a mistake

>5 guys back you into a corner
>you don't beat them into submission

pussy

Oh god and the voter intimidation shit, that stuff is just blatantly illegal.

I don't live in commiefornia, I live in the most gun-friendly state in the country. Coincidentally, we've never had this history of "union thugs" that LA and Chicago have had.

They're called "The Government" there.

Not that user, but wouldn't the contract contain how much the individual got paid? How can they strike against something they agreed to?

Isn't the writers strike why LOST s3 was pretty bad

Because it's in their legal rights to negociate an update to a contract if some outside circumstances have changed, I think.

Nah, it was always a bad show build on mysteries that never had an answer, only other mysteries.

Screenwriters fear the animekino adaptations which will lead them to still having their shitty jobs as waiters forever.

>This entire post

W E W

Unions will try till kill another american industry.

Last writers strike gave us this kino

youtube.com/watch?v=QD3u8f_hchU

>I will never understand how people could possibly complain while making wages like this

If you're making way more money off my labor due to changes in the market then I want more compensation for my labor. I should just be happy I'm making X even as you are now making a higher percentage of the profit due to an outdated contract?

The per EP fees are based off the older network 22-23ep like season model and that model is starting to go away. More shows are just getting short 13 ep runs on Cable/Streaming. Shows like Legion only ran 8 eps.

so they want more per an ep being networks are looking to limit the ep numbers to keep front end cost down. Then make it back with streaming and other income options. Stuff I'm sure is not represented well in the current older contract.

You and I write a bunch of eps of say The Blacklist under a network contract for 23 eps. Then make money off the show on network tv and that's fine. THEN they go sell it netflix at I think 2million an ep? What did we as writers get for that? Do we have a per stream pay scale like we might have for reruns? Did we just get fucked out of that money being the network would rather get money from streaming?

the profit is still coming it, we are just being cut out of it due to the old contract..

Not an argument.

youtube.com/watch?v=Of9kHpCv1ts though

maybe they should stop writing fucking SHIT

maybe you should just be better at your job if you want to get paid more faggot

No, you are being cut in the profit as there are tons more shows being produced, even if they are making smaller seasons.

The simple fact is that the movies are dying, but writers are having a ton of work since Amazon and Netflix are spending billions making shows to stream.

If you strike you will just push more shows to be reality tv since those writers are smart and are not unionized.

How much work did you writers lose just with the show Cops, let alone all the clones of it, that came about from the strike two times ago.

Go ahead and sob that you are not getting enough money and then reduce the amount of work you have even more.

CA here. You are still able to defend yourself with a gun because they know they can't change the surprisingly good laws without looking horrible. You're even able to chase people to a degree when you're the one getting attacked.

Then again if looking horrible stopped the lawmakers here they wouldn't have added all those gun laws year after year.

Why are writers deserving of a bigger cut of the profits but nobody else involved? You're just disgusting greedy Jews and I hope you all get replaced by someone cheaper.

why do you faggots have to hit enter after every sentence? it's so annoying to read like that

I do it to trigger you.

It worked.

Because it annoys you.

That's why.

It's the only reason.

It's all because of you.

YOU are THAT important to our lives.

people just don't read your post then

Leno just paid writers out of pocket, all his jokes are shit. He's good at bants and delivering though.

Conan was a writer himself, so it was just him winging it every night.

I don't remember what happened to the others

all of hollywood should go on a mutual break to overthink their whole system, maybe stop shitting out twenty lackluster movies every single month. that strike won't do any bad.

Because user hated walls of text. Make up your mind user, you indecisive fuck!

By people you mean just you. But you did read that post. So you're a lying liar who lies.

Craig Fergusson was the same as always.

I only read the first line desu

This. Imagine if these faggits had to work at real job with real competition in an industry that won't get bailed out by big government if it fails.

Whats worse is that to get a "writing" credit doesn't necessarily mean having WRITTEN the thing. Scripts can go through multiple rewrites with just minor tweaks.

Yeah ok, with the gun laws in HellA its more likely the thugs have guns rather than some libtard producer.

>Why are writers deserving of a bigger cut of the profits but nobody else involved?

Contract negotiations are per-union. I would imagine the other guilds have similar concerns, but they can only be addressed at their own negotiations, when their contracts are coming due.

lmao the us will become brazil soon

No, just contracts.

Most actors are SAG or related unions. They won't let the actors work unless the writer is union, the grip is union, and so on.

The costs are getting so high that there will be a "come to Jesus" as the studios are not making enough money for the millions invested, as it high risk and many times you would be better off putting the money in a index fund.

Give me some money please.

smartasset.com/mortgage/the-income-needed-to-pay-rent-in-the-largest-cities

get fucked

Because producers make 5 times that and doesn't do shit

>doesn't do shit
How would you know? Writers aren't even involved with the show, they just steal old material and send it in, then strike when they don't get enough money every few years.