Ghost in the Shell General

Before you fags jump up and shout "SOURCE MATERIAL!" let me tell you why I think it was good.

It succeeded in doing EXACTLY what it was trying to do, an action movie themed off of a popular anime. They werent trying to make the best anime adaptation ever, and they certainly werent trying to copy paste the story over either.

I love the original GitS just as much as anyone else but this movie is not trying to replicate the damn anime! They set out to make a movie that can appeal to your average joe westerner and make an entertaining action movie from a Japanese IP and thats exactly what they did.

Yes, its not the movie we all wanted, but its the movie we deserve. If it was all story then the western demographic wouldve shit on it, calling it boring and slow etc etc. Then we would never see things like this ever again. Further leading to Japan thinking that there is no market in america for japanese/anime things.

With that out of the way, Heres what I enjoyed:

I went and saw it in 4D IMAX and wow it was fucking incredible.
Hands down best cgi ive seen in a movie in YEARS.

The way they created the atmosphere of the city with all the projection ads whats just amazing.

Scar Jo too, she makes a very good Motoko, looks wise, even if she is white. Though her voice isnt as (flat?) as I wouldve liked. (following the anime motoko)

Personally the only like "aw man" moment of the movie was how short the fight was with the garbage guy. In the anime it was a lot more of a chase you know? Also in the anime his gun is fucking SICK! Mac-10 looking gun that was breaking because of the rounds in it. But in the movie the gun was like a cutout of a plastic sheet, It was innovative but I just didnt think it was that cool.

Discuss.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=AzovpBgscGk
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

>Then we would never see things like this ever again.

Good

>Yes, its not the movie we all wanted, but its the movie we deserve
unironically stopped reading here. kill yourself.

Id say it was a good 7/10.

Scarjo I feel fits the look, but her portrayal of the Major switched too much between very emotional and then very robotic.

Also the scene where she meets the old woman and the woman tells her about her daughter felt incredibly forced.

It could have also helped build the characters of Section 9 better, but it was apparently trying to specifically focus on the character of the Major so I guess thats understandable.

Also those consent lines were trash and should only have been used once twice at max.

This is my gut reaction. And I stand by it.

However there is a case to be made that the licensing fees can go towards new projects the original creaters can work on.

>Yes, its not the movie we all wanted, but its the movie we deserve.
You're part of the problem. I bet you'll unironically watch Death Note on opening night too.

My biggest complaint is the generic as fuck evil corporate conspiracy story line they went with. Its the more boring thing ever.

>If it was all story then the western demographic wouldve shit on it, calling it boring and slow etc etc.
This isn't a problem, how exactly?

Watching anime is cultural appropriation and you should be ashamed for supporting such a racist movie

I was interested in watching it but as soon as the generic as fuck storyline became apparent from the trailers I quickly lost interest.
It looked like it was just cool visuals and a few scenes which nodded to the anime with nothing else of substance. Sounds like thats exactly what it is.

Also the retroactive story change to try and deal with all the 'whitewashing' crap sounds laughable.

Live action anime was a mistake

not your blog, faggot

this piece of shit comes straight out of an opposite universe and that's the best I can give it

/thread

It was good, I liked it.

(YOU)

That and also the dialog where they force fed you the themes of the movie with straight up talking about "your ghost" etc.

Everybody hates this racist piece of shit movie. Better start praying to your Chinese overlords to save this movie

This movie needs to succeed so that we can start fighting back against Marvel.

>tank scene
>"shitty movie"
ok cool kids

>not being excited for a new version of Death Note
>not excited for a new, massive audience getting to know literally the greatest story of the century so far
>not wanting the people to fall in love with anime and manga over stupid fucking superheroes
You are either racist, tasteless, a paid Disney shill, or genuinly clueless as to what's best for our culture at large.

Great to know others are fans of this movie too just like I am

>calls someone racist
>is actually racist
i don't understand how liberals are so stupid

I thought it was good and I don't watch gook cartoons because I'm not a pedophile or twelve. I'm glad it's triggering Sup Forums subhumans and MUH WHITEWASHING SJW garbage.

GitS has no young girls so it isnt a weeb pedo series

Considering how someone I know looked at me when like I was speaking alien when I said I was going to see "Ghost in the Shell" having a bit of blunt exposition on what that means wasn't exactly a bad idea

Look at this dood

Why?

Movie was honestly pretty ok, expected much worse from reading the reviews.

Only thing that kept it down was the Hollywoodesque need for a backstory and a clear-cut le white evil corporation-owning villain.

>mfw only like 4 characters are white and everyone else is japanese or black

god fuck the left

It's an 8/10 drama thriller for me. Loved it. I got real emotional during the plot twist since I am familiar with the GitS anime movies.

Idk why other fans dont appreciate what they did with this movie with all the references. Only problem I had is that Kuze could have had more to do but everything else was a 10/10

i really like the look and feel of the city honestly

>(((white washing))) WEE WEE
the exact same arguments were thrown around as soon as Netflix released the trailer for its Death Note adaptation

>Go to Reddit
>Long ass discussion about 'whitewashing'

When did political extremism become popular?

Batou being played by a White European in 2017 surprised me.

Thank you based Rupert Sanders

Batou... isn't Japanese in the first place though. He was like an Army Ranger, and his name is European

What he means is that at least he wasn't played by a Negro or a Spic, especially a Negro.

Thought the dude who played him got a lot of flack for his GoT role but people seemed to like him here..

>Batou... isn't Japanese in the first place though.
I know but the fucking SJW's will complain that an Asian isn't playing him

>but people seemed to like him here..
Well yeah he had great charisma and was very likeable and resembled anime Batou 100%

The only thing that was missing was Batou and Togusa having more conversations

it was the worst example of hollywood hack script since prometheus

the movie had no pacing at all

scarlett is a good action heroine

what the fuck was michael pitt doing

if you want good fusion of ghost and tech watch rings, much more entertaining

I thought he nailed Batou as much as a live action portrayal could. His chemistry with the Major was spot on, there just wasn't nearly enough of it.

I want an extended cut with the long Batou club walk scene

>the movie had no pacing at all
This is some of the biggest bait I've read.

It was great seeing this scene in the movie

Batou was really good. Excellent even. Everything else was mediocre.

FUG forgot link
youtube.com/watch?v=AzovpBgscGk

>implying this scene wasn't GOAT

>When did political extremism become popular?

Gamergate. Blame Sup Forums.

I gave it a 6/10. That 6 is pretty much all thanks to the visuals. I probably would have given it a 2 or 3 if the art department wasn't good at their jobs.

Just because you know the bar was lowered on purpose does not mean it gets any better. It just means that the idiots can clear it. Sometime last year I said "if it's not going to be good, they shouldn't even make it" and I stick to that today. It should have remained in development purgatory for all time.

This

>the movie had no pacing at all

I find this bizarre. The movie constantly moves along with a purpose, which is harder to say about it's source material.

I looked back at the tank scene in the animation afterwards since I hadn't seen it in a while and jesus christ it's like a 10 minute exposition dump between still frame faces from the time Batou takes out the tank to Major and Puppet Master getting sniped

Japanese anime has different pacing compared to live action. They like to move very slow between takes. That's the style

Is this like a barely PG 13 movie? Cause there was clear blood splatter when he shot that guy in the head

The JGSDF has Rangers too. I know no one watched Arise or read the stuff set before Arise but he actually runs around with his Japanese Ranger buddies and meets Kusanagi in the field during an extraction mission.

moving the plot along has nothing to do with pacing, the movie makes frequent stops to set up section 9 or whatever the name of the unit is as if for a sequel, builds up idiotic homage to 'motoko', plants a family scene, a love story, and the hundredth discussion about

>why r we human or r we bionic?

with juliette binoche along the way. and the plot itself is just driven by baddie mcguffin being evil until they report him to mr president. even capeshit has deeper hierarchy system. cyberpunk really does attract all sides of retard spectrum.

They cut out the blood during the building shoot out scene. I don't remember but they probably did that as well here. Anyway the movie hardly has any action. But yeah I want an unrated cut

I've watched Arise and I love it!

Well unless you wanted 30 minutes of nothing but dialogue about souls, humans not understanding death as the anime fans keep saying if that was included the movie would have been way better... no I think the movie is great how it is.

Adding in information about souls etc which isn't even related to the main plot would have drastically slowed the movie down in pace.

You are one of the few people I've seen who like it. I did enjoy the New Movie.

>mfw I had Arise's designer draw SAC Motoko for me even though he was there for Arise

>It succeeded in doing EXACTLY what it was trying to do

>this is the common excuse for shit movies these days

This introduced me to GITS, and I thought it was pretty fucking cool. Atleast there's actually an attempt made to be at least a little smarter and emotional than most modern blockbusters, example: I had to watch Fast and the Furious 8, and the Baywatch trailer before it started.

I have seen the '95 Anime, but not SAC, with that in mind, the Major is way more fucking interesting in the new movie. I appreciate that the anime is trying to challenge it's audience, but this movie presents a more sympathetic character. Both are acceptable approaches.

If it really fucking bothers you, it's easier to think of this as a really big fan-film made by Hollywood.

realizing i said fucking 3 times, apologies for edginess

It's as PG-13 as it gets. It's completely bloodless and doesn't even really have any suggestive but unseen.

I can't really remember any visually memorable violence except maybe when the Major breaks the guys wrist in the water fight the same way she did in the animated movie

what? the original anime movie had a distinctly different atmosphere where it fitted well, it was all about building up the feel rather than conveying any sort of coherent message. this movie is an example of plodding hollywood script (done by 3 hacks) that tries to explain everything in the most dumbfounded way possible. it is also purely an action flick while the anime had something in the way of poetic, it was langorous and sad in the way this generic piece of garbage could never be.

and yes the anime itself and other mamoru oshii's works are slow and not very well done in the script department, but still far more coherent than this generic romp that is only fun at several stops along the way

Fpbp

One day you'll grow out of that edge.

TL;DR

also thread hidden

There's a difference between slow, purposeful pacing and basically stopping the plot and the world from moving just so you can start talking about identity and memories.

>tfw trying to watch Ghost in the Shell SAC

Often when trying to watch GitS, the words are just too much. I understand every word, and know the meaning of those words, but my brain cant piece together what's being said fast enough in order to keep up with the plot

Who else a fucking brainlet?

GitS does a lot of vague, meandering philosophical dialogue. It's not really that uncommon to have to re-read some of the lines to try and get an idea of what they're saying.

and then you have to decide for yourself whether or not they're actually being deep or if it's just poorly distilled philosophical nonsense

>G-G-GUYS P-PLZ GO WATCH THE MOVIE
0.00001 pesos has been deposited etc.

With R-rated movies like Deadpool and Logan doing so well, they should've really gone for a similar rating. The original movie had several instances of detailed gore, it would've matched up really well.

Does the Scarjo movie have an equivalent to the original scene where Major tears off her own arms trying to open that tank hatch?

>Does the Scarjo movie have an equivalent to the original scene where Major tears off her own arms trying to open that tank hatch?
Yes.

Becuase most of it is either purposeless crap or parroted quotes from actual philosophers.

It was kinda impressive that they were able to do that muscle bulking scene.

>literally the greatest story of the decade so far
Are you 15 or something? Holy shit that's embarrassing

>uses the original music
>during the end credits

God that shit was frustrating.

Pretty much this. Why is this so hard for plebs to understand?

Hey man, I wanna see 3x3 eyes live-action movie.