ITT: movies college students pretend to like

ITT: movies college students pretend to like

Primer is essential intelligence-signalling core.

All of Kubrick's flicks.

Tree of life is greatest accomplishment in film of 21st century you pleb.

Even Ebert awknlowlegded as so

2001. You can be sure anyone that claims to have liked it is either a retard or a pretentious faggot.

This.

Such a bad movie, yet I get called dumb for not liking it.

Atheist detected.

Best movie to fall asleep to though.

you are objectively dumb if you dont understand it.
you can dislike it if you understand it and not be dumb

More like mommycore

Pic related.

Lynch is a closet pleb, and it's worrying to see the amount of people use either "dreams lmao" or "atleast he's not pretentious" as an excuse.

ITT: Movies Sup Forums didn't understand

what was so good about it?

>early years of some family
>random space scenes
>random beach ending
>jessica chastain whispering shit you can barely hear

I watched it twice. I'll admit, the first time was a mess and I didn't know wtf was happening in the end, so I read a few explanations online, saw where I'd been confused, and rewatched it.

It was still shit.

I understood it perfectly. I just didn't like it.

>Even Ebert awknlowlegded as so

this retard was unable to recognize video games as the artform they are, and he also disliked A Clockwork Orange.
He's a fucking pleb.

I like Lynch's flavor of crazy, I believe it translates well to film but not so much to a coherent storyline every time. Mulholland was pretty coherent by Lynch standards and good in all other respects.

This actually annoys me. kek

>A Clockwork Orange.

I also disliked A Clockwork Orange. It was just a "Shock" movie that got banned which enhanced it's reputation.

Say one good thing about A Clockwork Orange

Almost all of the good things about it come from the book, does that count?

in that case, maybe you were prejudiced to dislike it since you felt your intelligence was put into question

> chilling after class with a film class professor day we watched Primer
> Tell her I wanted to follow hang myself out of boredom
> She admits she fucking hates the film but it's easy to make into a writing assignment and make up lecture on it's historical significance on the indie market.

Most people who claim to love shitty boring films are assuming that cultural and historical importance means it's a good movie. That's like saying you like watching Citizen Kane. You're a fucking liar just naming a famous old film to sound cultured. It's a dogshit movie that was good for its time and tried some new things but it's been 70 fucking years don't act like it's held up at all.

Drinking spoiled milk doesn't make you a dairy connoisseur

more like you quoted the wrong comment

>videogames
Enjoy your underage b& newbitch.

>It's a dogshit movie that was good for its time and tried some new things but it's been 70 fucking years don't act like it's held up at all.
Very true.

you know that shitty meme that revolves around stimulating one's neurons (i.e. making you think)?
that's unironically how I felt watching and rewatching Primer, and I loved it. Very, very few films achieve this.

I'll give you some credit to that statement. It was good at getting you to think, but in terms of being a quality film, it was lacking in some major aspects that you can't really afford to screw up when it comes to film (acting, lighting, any grasp on the concept of cinematography).

It'd make a better book instead

>intelligence was put into question

I didn't think that at the time. It's not a mentally challenging movie at all, it's just a little convoluted. I've studied Physics, that part was easy, it was telling the difference between characters that had me lost. Which one was where, who was ahead, etc. The fact they're all wearing the same clothes didn't help.

It's a movie you need to really watch, give it 100% attention, or you'll get lost in the plot. Once you're lost in a movie it's immposible to understand it. That's why I watched it a second time.

It was an average movie. And the physics sucked ass.

oh absolutely, I liked primer but I dont fool myself into thinking its a great movie aside from the time-travel convolution.

I guess since there are SO many movies that do the time travel stuff in a lazy or straight up wrong way that make Primer shine

>time travel stuff in a lazy or straight up wrong way

Primer got it ALL wrong. That's why I laugh when people say it's an intelligent movie.

also, its a really low-budget film, so you cant really expect it to have top tier cinematography

It has the single scariest scene in all of cinema at least.

>inb4 paradoxes
its a major part of the plot

Not even that, just their idea that time is some linear dimension you can travel along.

That's a plebtier description of time they teach 3 yearolds in nursery.

>I guess since there are SO many movies that do the time travel stuff in a lazy or straight up wrong way that make Primer shine
ALL time travel movies do time travel wrong. The concept itself is ridiculous and paradoxical by nature. There has never been a really good time travel focused movie (back to the future wasn't time travel focused).

I know this is just a tired pasta, but I do enjoy watching Citizen Kane. Im an old fuck though.

What exactly would you call the focus of the first film then?

Fantasy/Adventure.

what did you guys think of interstellar's portrait of time?

leave the rest aside (specially the power of love stuff)

Trainspotting
The Darjeeling Limited
Lost in Translation
Almost Famous
American Beauty
American Psycho
Synecdoche, New York
Manhattan
Do the Right Thing
Paris Is Burning
Melancholia
Blue Is the Warmest Color
Children of Men
Sex, Lies, and Videotape
The Royal Tenenbaums
Eyes Wide Shut
Eraserhead
Trash Humpers
Toy Story 2

Pretty good, except for the meme ending of course.

The main focus of the film that has a time machine, has a guy go back in time, and a title that references this time travel... has a focus on "adventure"?

Honestly, I try to ignore all movie concepts and just go with the movie. Enjoy it for what it is.

Interstellar was a good scifi movie. Their concept of time-travel is as flawed as everyother movie. Eg.. If you're travelling backwards in time, why aren't you getting younger? Why aren't the particles that make up the ship reverting to a previous state?

It's like movies where they "freeze" time. If you freeze time, you freeze all the oxygen molecules. You die. You'd also be freezing all the photons, so you'd be blind.

Yeah, it doesn't take its time travel aspect too seriously, which is why it's so good. It's about the novelty of being in another time, seeing your parents as teens, having sex with your mother and aunt, that kind of stuff.

The entire premise comes from "time travel". It's the quintessential time travel movie. You are in a mind blowing minority

iirc they dont travel back in time in interstellar, only thing that does travel back was some sort of gravity waves?

I loved Citizen Kane. Primer has an insane screenplay, it's fucking genius. You're just a fucking pleb.

>You're just a fucking pleb.
>movies college students pretend to like
>college students

Yh, I was thinking more the idea that travelling through wormholes wouldn't destroy the ship. A theoretical wormhole would chew matter up and spit out energy. There'd be no way of protecting matter. Anything that goes in is dead.

Funnily enough I tried to watch Interstellar again last night but fell asleep just when they'd just left earth. I haven't seen it since just after it came out.

>the idea that travelling through wormholes wouldn't destroy the ship
of course, that's the movie's biggest leap of faith from as far as sci-fi concerns

That's why I ignore logic and just enjoy the scifi.