Why do the old people in Mad Men know about the current young pop stars of the era like Rolling Stones, Beatles, etc

Why do the old people in Mad Men know about the current young pop stars of the era like Rolling Stones, Beatles, etc.

If I asked my dad about Kanye or Young Thug he would have no idea who I'm talking about.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/MxpkEehUd88
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Over saturation

bad writing.

Why can't people understand that Roger is the father of Archer, Rorschach, Anton Chigurh, and grandfather of Barney Stintson, among others?

>How do experienced hands at a top marketing company in New York know about the current popular media?

Beats me

They work in advertising, which requires them to be up with the times. My dad was a patent attorney, and he consumed whatever was popular. He'd literally buy the top row of the top stack of CDs at Barnes and Noble.

In those days, when you were big, you were really big.

Also this:

They had to be aware of what was in.

Because nigger music is a fad and the Rolling Stones were a phenomenon.

the rolling stones are neutered black music (blues/rnb) made to appeal to broader audience of philistines

They're in advertising. Also, plenty of old people have at least heard of big names that have music without explicit themes, like Swift.

Their job is to appeal to every demographic. They have children. They watch television and listen to the radio.

Are you retarded?

Are Kanye and Young Thug the Beatles and Rolling Stones of the now?

The show was never about good writing or believable characters

It was about, lol let's set a show in the 60s that will be wacky XD

Yes

You add nothing to this board.

haha no

This

Thuggermania may even dwarf Beatlemania

see

i dont know shit about "Kanye or Young Thug" and i am twelve!!

They didn't. They knew the beatles because it was the Beatles.

You see that episode where they take them to see a concert and Don doesn't even give a shit.

He puts on a Beatles album and turns it off two minutes later.

They knew fuck all about popular music. Watch the fucking show properly. Fucking hell kys you fucking retarded faggot bitch.

example?

He literally works in adverting and media.

I'm 27 and I've heard of "Kanye" but not about "Young Thug".

name one point in the show when this happened

what does that have to do with patents?

What country are you from? What is popular music to you?

Pop culture would be like, their bag and stuff because after all, they're advertisers, right?

My dad probably has better knowledge of modern pop-stars than I do.

Young thug is faggot and you should be ashamed for even mentioning that diseased shit packed, Nanci boy in a thread about bluesman, the rolling stones. Maybe in a David bowie thread or a queen thread, but never in a stones thread. Oh wait, John Lennon dabbled in faggotry if memory serves so I guess my point is moot.

I'm Polish.

>What is popular music to you?
The noise blaring out of the speakers at the gym.

John Lennon beat his wife, he was a misogynist asshole.

Karramba or Kolor

how come? stones are better than bowie?

*On a related note:

I work as a postdoc at a British university. Last year at a research group meeting a PhD student from the US mentioned a music video by Adele and was shocked and exasperated to discover no one at the table (~12 academics, between late 20s and 40-something) knew who she was. I had to look her up too.

Adele fucking sucks balls and her music is boring as shit

>ooh look at me I'm a fat ugly British cunt and I have man voice

nobody cares

How can you not know who Adele is? I bet you know who Taylor Swift is.

They don't, did you not see the episode when Don listened to a beetles record for the first time and Megan had to basically force him to, then he shut it off mid song?

The times when they do know is because its their job to know as advertisers.

>Taylor Swift

literally who to anyone who doesn't live in a flyover state or go to Sup Forums

>How can you not know who Adele is?
How does one learn who she is? Following celebrity trivia? Serious question. I don't watch TV.

>I bet you know who Taylor Swift is.
I've heard the name, know she's a singer of some sort, and think she might be a blonde but if you showed me a picture of her I wouldn't recognise her.

Similar with Adele after I've looked her up.

sure

>think she might be a blonde but if you showed me a picture of her I wouldn't recognise her.

She's the blonde with the ugly rat face and annoying voice.

My parents know who Kanye West and Taylor Swift are. They don't listen to their music, but they know who they are. Young Thug is a minor celebrity in comparison to Kanye. They're older than Don was during the show's time period. Don also didn't listen to The Rolling Stones or The Beatles, but he knew who they were, because they were phenomenons in pop culture.

that' seasy. I think there are a ot of people like me.

I dont have tv. I have netflix and just watch that. i work and read and don't have a ccar so I never listen to the radio. I have no clue what's going on in the top 40

The writers didn't experience the 60s and cannot conceptualize a generation older than the boomers accurately. This is not helped by the mythology surrounding "The Greatest Generation" which people use to project their ideals onto the generation they didn't personally know.

Similar here, but I'd have to say I know of here, but I don't know any of her songs.

Academia is also a place where people hide what they know. For example, I'd feign ignorance before revealing I know who Pewdiepie (although I can't imaging it would come up), I was however teaching classes where I had to pretend that my knowledge of Varg Vikernes was purely scholarly.

What class were you teaching where you taught about Varg Vikernes

>I know of her*

TAing for a class on Norse Mythology. That week's recitation was about neopaganism and one of the things that you always have to mention is that there is a history of neopaganism being coopted by nationalists/white supremacists.

what the fuck is a young thug

>one of the things that you always have to mention is that there is a history of neopaganism being coopted by nationalists/white supremacists.
Hmm I wonder who could be forcing you to do that.

Fuck off Sup Forums

>nigger music is a fad but a band playing nigger music is a phenomenon

ok

It's not as much of an issue for me because I'm in a STEM field but I get what you're saying.

How is being sub 85 point IQ not a permabannable offense here?

>2017
>listening to rap "music"
ISHYDDT

What a nice indecipherable abstract art pattern you have there!

But seriously, I would hate for some kid on study abroad to get trouble in German because he decided to get some cool rune tattoos based on what we did in class.

Me and my dad call rap """music"""" cRap music kek

is nationalism only a bad thing when whites advocate it? what about black nationalism? or Zionism?

I only listen to college radio and public radio. My local stations play jazz, soul, funk, bluegrass, folk, and whatever college kids listen to (mostly Sup Forums shit). I haven't listened to billboard music in over 20 years. I know fuck all about popular music, and I'm fine with that.
The first kanye song I heard was the goldigger one where he ripped off ray charles. That was enough kanye for me.

>what about black nationalism?
One argument that I heard from a leftist professor is that black nationalism is good because black people have historically been at the bottom of society and need to work their way up, whereas white nationalism is bad because white people are already privileged. But then if you ask why Zionism is ok when Jews are at the top he'll get mad.

I don't know, user. People disagree on that. Let's get back on topic.
*repeat until retired*

Unless you were in a coma you would know who the Beatles were.

He patented cd cases

anyone who posted in this thread unironically are legit on the spectrum
prove me wrong

This must be the longest lasting fad in history

An understanding of popular music is essential for knowing what should be patented, what CAN be patented, and how to argue for/against patents in the music industry

No nationalist movement is ok if it claims to be the superior race.

Especially when uneducated rednecks are the ones doing it, usually in autistic threads on stormfront or Sup Forums

black nationalism is good
in africa

lmao are you honestly claiming that humans aren't superior to niggers

>Young Thug
Neither should you

Probably because they worked in advertising. I've read and heard from many boomers who said their parents knew very little about their current pop music like the Beatles or The Stones. It's like asking your father who that nigger Kanye is, all he really knows is that he's famous and makes music.

OP now that the dust has settled were you memeing or serious?

youtu.be/MxpkEehUd88

why do people keep posting this retarded video

sampling an artist =ripped off

Because they are in advertisement, you fucking idiot
They HAVE to know about that stuff, demographics and all that

>rolling stones/beatles = kanye/young thug

Stop forcing your shitty taste of music on us

How's the studying going for that High School equivalency test?

You mean kanye sampling == ripped off

Back then, well-known musicians also had skill.

Are you retarded, OP? The Beatles are literally the most popular band on the planet, everyone from every age knows them. The Rolling Stones were also very popular, more so than Young Whoeverthefuck. Kanye West is also way too popular, more so from his antics than his music, so if you father doesn't know him he probably lives under a fucking rock.

Because The Beatles were a worldwide phenomenon. Kanye is only relevant in his head.

It was their literal job to know current events, duh?

Herr a duh.

Never stop posting user

There were only a few TV channels and no internet
If you were big back then everyone knew about you
Now that we've got the internet and a billion channels there is no mainstream anymore
There aren't any modern artists who are anywhere near as big as the Beatles were

>Kanye is only relevant in his head.

ok reddit

neopaganism is a very healthy trend, imo. It also doesn't have to attache itself to nationalism or white supremisict ideals.

>neutered

>it's an "only old music is good xD" episode