Has the world stopped to make great movies?

Has the world stopped to make great movies?

theyshootpictures.com/gf1000_all1000films_table.php

Other urls found in this thread:

filmaffinity.com/en/topgen.php?fromyear=2016&nodoc¬vse
twitter.com/AnonBabble

What's the 2016 column data supposed to be?

>Synecdoche, New York
flicks Sup Forums tricked you into watching

2016 position
they redo the list every year

Worst part is a lot of high grossing movies now are purposefully forgettable, Minions, The Force Awakens, etc.

Hated it.
Like all other art movies get better with Tim. No one is going to call a one year old movie one of the greats

That's true. Every film in the pic is ranking higher than this year than the last.
Although ToL was an instant classic
Since I don't get with the times much and don't watch many modern movies now, what are some 2016 which you think may deserve a place in this list?

Manchester by the Sea, La La Land, Batman vs superman, moonlight

Brainlets need not apply

filmaffinity.com/en/topgen.php?fromyear=2016&nodoc¬vse

I understood it I just thought it wasn't entertaining or even thought-provoking. It just felt like an art student masturbating to himself

>Old grumpy men makes list.
>Most of the list contains movies from when they grew up during the 60's and 70's.
>Now the only great movies from our times are obscure movies or controversial ones.

Gee. Color me surprised....

kys

Nah, it just takes a few years to separate the wheat from the chaff.

Most of the movies on TSPDT, or AFI top 100, or Sight & Sound, or whatever list, typically have more old, established movies at the top because we've had a lot of time to catch up with them, evaluate their greatness, and gain a consensus as movies that were popular in their day fall by the wayside for the more universal works.

That all takes time to sift through. Add to that the fact that critics and scholars are a bit overzealous to avoid recency bias (and fair enough, take a look at something like Reddit's Top 250 films to see how embarrassing recency bias looks) and you might get the impression that they don't make movies like they used to.

The truth is that in any era there's a lot of shit and it can take time to sort out greatness. Today's film scene is no different. Give it a bit and plenty of films will be rediscovered and placed next to other great films.

>Avatar

Just noticed Saving Private Ryan isn't on the list while Starship Troopers is. Man this list is really weird.

True understanding is not possible without a deep emotional response. You experienced a surface level emotional response from lack of true understanding

are you edging right now? hope it feels good

What are you on about? Emotional response is literally what separates us from animals...

>from animals

*from plants

>implying animals have emotions

>implying they don't