ITT: We Come Up With Radical Changes For Sports And Discuss the Consequences

I'll start off with two:

>Soccer
Introduce mid-field violations similar to a backcourt violation in basketball. Once the ball has passed over the pitch's midfield line, it is a foul for the time to put it back across and that leads to automatic possession for the other team.

>American football
Every offensive player on the field is considered eligible to receive the ball at any position.

Pic unrelated.

>mid field violations
no

I personally think that subbing in soccer should be more like hockey. Sub in, in groups and have unlimited substitutions to keep the gameplay fast and dynamic.

Why not?

> it is a foul for the time to put it back across

Doesn't happen nearly as often as you think

>Every offensive player on the field is considered eligible to receive the ball at any position.

Yeah I'm sure those linemen will be catching so many passes

>Basketball

Take the 5-point shot from the Globetrotters shows and turn it into an actual part of the game.

>Hockey

Allow players to score goals with bodily appendages, as opposed to just the stick.

>Allow players to score goals with bodily appendages, as opposed to just the stick.

As someone who played hockey, I wouldn't mind this one desu. Maybe ban straight up picking the puck up in your fist, but anything else should be good, because it's fuckall hard to kick a puck while you're on skates. That shit should be rewarded.

American football
>kicking a field goal within the 15 yard line only counts as 2 points
>touchdowns are automatically 7, extra point is removed, going for 2 is just one point now
>the quarterback can throw the ball forward from any part of the field
>offensive holding allowed within 1 yard of the line of scrimmage
>punts, like timeouts, are now limited to 3 per half

Somebody posted a webm in a thread that I saw recently where a player (I think from the Blackhawks?) straight-up slapped a puck out of the air, while moving, and it went over the goalie's shoulder. Stuff like that is incredibly rare and difficult to do and I think it's a shame that it was for nothing.

Biathlon
>take away those pussy .22s and give them AR-15s
>faster skiing, fuck cross country, go downhill
>must shoot the targets while skiiing downhill, no stopping to shoot

RIP to all the spectators, refs, and competitors who inevitably get shot.

I like that punt rule. Really sounds like pure chaos. Would basically cause professional football players to treat their downs the same way that a middle school team does.

>Soccer
Draws are worth zero points. This fixes the entire gay sport in one stroke of the pen.

Hey, they were catching them before Harbaugh lost his shit

muh tradition (:

>Football
>Get rid of added time, stop the clock when the ball isn't in play, reduce game time to two halves of 35 minutes.

I'm glad you're never going to be in charge of NFL rules

Stahp it user we can only take so much FREEDOM

there is never enough FREEDOM

linemen technically can be eligible for a catch as long as they haven't been touched by a defensive player.

you forgot
>dual-wielding

ok I was joking.
but the original name for Olympic Biathlon was "military patrol" and they used full power military rifles.

at the very least make them go back to full power rifles, I have farts with more recoil than .22. make them use something like 5.56 or 7.62.

>going off a ski jump and 360 noscoping is worth extra points

That, I could get behind. My high school's Rifle Team used 5.56's I think. The folks on the team all really seemed to like them. Said they had the perfect amount of recoil.

That would make it worse. A level playing field favours defenders, so the less tired people get, the fewer goals will be scored.

This is a good idea.

>high school's Rifle Team
America is based. Anyone who says different is a cretin.

tbqh its not that America is based because we have guns, its that other countries gave up theirs like pussies. many countries have (or had) school rifle teams. it's not really that special to those who don't live in a no guns allowed country.

>it's not really that special to those who don't live in a no guns allowed country.
I know, but there aren't that many of those left.

Sad desu. Also, forgive my ignorance, what is the rule on guns in Ireland?

There was another Blackhawks goal that was disallowed because it was headed in. It fucking looked amazing but it wasn't a goal. That was a shame.

You can get a licence for low calibre rifles, at the discretion of the police, if you have a locked case and a valid reason for using it. The only two valid reasons, off the top of my head, are hunting and farming. Each gun needs to be individually licenced.

In fairness, we're at least consistent in that police don't have guns either, except for a few special units. It's not as bad as those Euro countries where cops open-carry and citizens aren't allowed guns.

was gonna post this, amazing goal and shame it didnt count

when I think about it though, changing the rules so that we have flying skates and appendages during any goal action is probably a bad idea. lots of rules like this originate because players were doing it before and it was a shitshow

>soccer
Red cards are a 12 man power play, handballs are worth 2 red cards

Nice dubs. Glad to hear that, at the very least, it's not a case of the government cheating the people, but just a case of getting guns out of peoples' lives completely. I disagree with it, but it's much more fair than in some other countries.