/who/ - Doctor Who General

50/50 edition

Nobody linked the last thread

Other urls found in this thread:

mixital.co.uk/channel/doctor-who-fanfiction
tardis.wikia.com/wiki/Myth_Makers
kickstarter.com/projects/2033983624/doctor-who-pilot-as-a-american-version
kickstarter.com/projects/2033983624/american-version-of-a-doctor-who-pilot
kickstarter.com/projects/2033983624/american-version-of-a-doctor-who-pilot-episode
julpuma512.wixsite.com/raritythatisme
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

SOMETHING CONTROVERSIAL

I generally disliked the EDAs but admit To the Death was kino.

>the story that was never made
>it would have been death in the family tier goat and it NEVER happened

To the Death and the first Dark Eyes tricked me into thinking Briggs was a GOAT writer.

Fuck you OP it was my turn

lol, exact same thing happened to me the exact same way. little did we know he'd quickly devolve into "muh particles"

Sorry user ;--; you can have next go

I DISAGREE

The Audio Visuals convinced me Briggs was a GOAT writer. And I still believe it.

But nobody can oversee 69105 stories per year, write a quarter of them and direct a quarter of them, while running the company, and also being its public face, all at the same time.

Take the greatest writer of all time and make him do that, and you will get hack work.

ur openion is gud

WRONG. KYS.

Get stuffed faggot. go back to re ddit. we don't take turns being op. don't be a bitch

>hack work

What, you don't like "muh particles" x "muh daleks" a dozen times a year?

rude :(

hey man. Get stuffed is sort of my thing. I mean, it's cool if you wanna say it, I guess, but, like..

NO U

I like doctor who

Question for Who fans.

I stopped watching when Matt Smith left and Capaldi took over. I've never liked Capaldi, buuut, I'm dying to watch Dr Who again. Seeing this thread everyday is like a knife in the eye.

So... Is the Capaldi era worth watching?

It's legitimately the best the show has ever been in my opinion, but it is divisive. Many dislike it. But many, particularly here, think it's hitting heights the show has literally never hit before. Worth trying out at least.

That's why I don't agree with people saying Briggs should be replaced to improve Big Finish. He's the guy running most of the operation, the one who was able to get all of these old actors back thanks to filming Myth Maker documentaries with them years back, and the voice of all the monsters. Pulling him out of Big Finish would leave a huge gap in the production team that would be impossible to fill with anybody else.

Yeah it just gets better and better

Yeah. Some episodes the writing gets a bit ropey, as always, but he does a good "angry Scotsman Doctor".

Go for it.

Reminder that the BBC now has an official page where they encourage you to post Doctor Who fanfiction.
mixital.co.uk/channel/doctor-who-fanfiction

It's not called Briggs Finish for no reason

>the one who was able to get all of these old actors back thanks to filming Myth Maker documentaries with them years back,

Can you expand on this?

S8 and S9 are legitimately fantastic television, Who or no Who, but a lot of Dr Who fans don't like that sort of focus. It's very character and theme based but without being particularly explict or expository, so you have stuff like a clear statement being made in the S9 finale being missed by the majority of the fandom and stuff like that.

>huge gap
>impossible to fill

It's trash.

I'm gonna put my dislike of Capaldi aside and give it a go. I feel I'm missing out. I fucking miss my Clara senpaitachi.

Cheers my fellow whoians

Why do you dislike Capaldi?

tardis.wikia.com/wiki/Myth_Makers

Back in the 80s and 90s, Briggs did a series of video interviews with tons of old Who actors. Some of them are really comfy to watch, and helped Briggs network his name across all of the Who cast. Part of the reason all these actors are working on audios is probably because of their friendship with Briggs (Tom Baker refused to do 4 audios when Gary Russell was running the show, and Briggs was the one who convinced him to finally put the scarf back on).

Which is why I don't think Ian Levine would work, because by all accounts, he's an asshole who wouldn't be able to build anything resembling a good work environment or camaraderie with his cast and crew the way Briggs has managed to. Any fan production he's done with old actors has simply been because he's rich and eccentric. He'd probably wonder why Toby is making the Big Finish lunches and fire him for producing unnecessary luxuries.

It's kino.

I agree with you. Briggs is essential, not the problem.

The problem is just that they're putting out way too much. The writers who aren't overworked and doing pure hackery are drowned out by the ones who are.

If they'd expanded more slowly, and found ways to bring in more new blood, the current schedule might be sustainable, I don't know. But the way they did it, it's not. And unfortunately, they can't go back and redo the expansion better without losing half their sales.

It's no coincidence that their best writer only gave them like three stories (Shearman)

I've seen him on TV before and I just instantly disliked him for some reason. When Matt Smith was leaving I'd assumed John Hurt would be the next doctor. Then Capaldi popped up and I just dropped it there and then.

I'm just a dick desu senpai. I didn't give him a chance.

Good news is.. I've got 2 seasons to catch up on. 2 xmas specials. 2 finales. That's my TV sorted for the next few weeks.

Maybe if they just diversified their ranges a bit by setting a main writer for each. Have Guerrier run the 1st Doctor audios, Fountain run the 6th Doctor audios, Dorney run the 8th Doctor audios, etc. Just so there can be more focus instead of having Matt Fitton work on six ranges a year.

Hope you enjoy user (:

Gary, and Mark Gatiss, and a few others from the AV/BBV/RT stable, had very good relationships with some of the actors, but yeah, I don't think they could have ever expanded it to nearly everyone who's ever been on the show.

I think what makes Briggs work so well is that he comes across as saying "Making Doctor Who audios is the most fun thing in the world, and I'm offering to let you share in the fun because I like you" instead of "I'd like to hire you for something" or "We're mates now, do me a favour".

>When Matt Smith was leaving I'd assumed John Hurt would be the next doctor
What?

Definitely will.

Cheers for persuading me, anons.

I think he means that he didn't know who John Hurt was playing and assumed it was the next Doctor rather than a previous hidden one

I think they just need a separate storyline editor for each range. The way Gary Russell talked about doing all those years ago.

The storyline editor would commission the scripts, with the overall Doctor Who producer (or executive producer Briggs, if they can't find anyone for that job) advising and having veto power but mostly leaving it up to them (a la Dicks or Cartmel on TV). If he wanted to do a big arc story, he'd write up a pitch and sell the producer on it.

If some of them want to be more like a lead writer and commission half the scripts from themselves, that's fine. If others only want to write one or two scripts per year, and write just as many for other people's ranges, that's fine too.

fucking contrarian tripfags

When Smith announced he was leaving there was a lot of speculation about who the next dr would be, Hurt was one of the names, and since he'd appeared in the Special most people assumed he would be next. Then Capaldi popped up from nowhere.

Anyway, here's S8 and 9 if anyone wants them..

mega.nz/F!ylZ1RCbA!u2kb8QlO4-by83EiC8QD3w#F!ylZ1RCbA!u2kb8QlO4-by83EiC8QD3w

mega.nz/#F!TtJRTYBQ!FyI_dQqecSbm6h-EgreQhw

>Fountain run the 6th Doctor audios
One more thing: I don't know that breaking up the monthlies would be a good idea.

I think it's because the monthlies had that odd mix of 8 "new adventures" (Five/Peri/Erimem, Six/Evelyn, Seven/Ace/Hex, Eight/Charley), 1 "sidestep" (Frobisher or Benny), and 3 "standalones" (TV combinations like Five/Nyssa) that nobody thought of the standalones as bad trad PDAs, and that's part of the reason we got stuff like Spare Parts instead of stuff like the audio equivalent of Empire of Death. The monthlies were where most of the cool stuff was happening, and they were all run as one thing by Alan Barnes (or Gary before him), and the standalone monthlies had to be part of that.

r8 my discette collection /who/
>The Beginning
>The Tenth Planet
>Robot
>Genesis of the Daleks
>Terror of the Zygons
>Pyramids of Mars
>The Deadly Assassin
>Image of the Fendahl
>Destiny of the Daleks
>Logopolis
>The Five Doctors Special Edition
>Resurrection of the Daleks Special Edition
>Revelation of the Daleks
>Remembrance of the Daleks Special Edition
>Series 1 DVD
>Series 2 DVD
>Series 3 DVD
>Series 4 DVD
>Series 4 Specials Blu-ray
>Series 5 Blu-ray
>Series 6 Blu-ray
>Series 7 Blu-ray
>The Day of the Doctor Blu-ray
>The Time of the Doctor Blu-ray
>Series 8 Blu-ray
>Series 9 Blu-ray

I don't think most people, or even many people, assumed Hurt would be next.

You'd have to be more than a casual viewer to be speculating in the first place, but not much more to miss the fact that when he was introduced in the special, he was described as the secret that 11 doesn't like to talk about, "the one who broke the promise", which makes it pretty obvious he's a past Doctor, not the next one.

Meanwhile, Capaldi did come out of nowhere, but the speculation wasn't about Hurt before him, it was people making lists of other candidates, or watching the betting—bookies shut down betting twice, once for Paterson Joseph, once for Rory Kinnear—or talking about whether we're ready for a black Doctor like Joseph, or… basically, the exact same kind of stuff we're seeing this time (and that we saw for 11, too).

Noice.

>r8 my discette collection /who/
Whether those discettes are 8", 5¼", or 3½", I don't know how you fit a whole Doctor Who story on a floppy without some pretty ridiculous compression. :P

And it sucks, because I listened to the BF podcast a while back about whether or not 8 would come back to the main range, and Briggs just said the main range was no longer their top priority.

>main range
>not the top priority

You obviously knew more about it than I did, I just read the papers. I'm just a casual fan since Ecclestone desu.

Hurt was mentioned as the doctor a few times, though I can't remember if it was just tabloid speculation based on news of his Finale appearance or just me putting 2 and 2 together. Probably both.

Either way, I was wrong, Capaldi got the job, and history was made.

When you've got 20-odd Doctor Who ranges going (plus spinoffs), it's pretty hard for any one range to be the top priority.

Having someone whose job was storyline editor for the monthly range wouldn't completely fix that, because he'd still have to compete for writers (and ideas) with the other ranges, from a stable of writers that's definitely not 20x as big as it was a decade ago…

But I think it would help. At least it would be someone's top priority that way.

>Briggs just said the main range was no longer their top priority
FUCK

Well, it does explain why 8's been gone for ages, and 4 hasn't shown up in the main range at all.

Because the thing is, it's like my friend Vicky.

From a business point of view, it makes sense.

The junkies who'd been buying the monthlies for 15 years at this point will keep buying the monthlies, with or without 4. And some of them will buy the 4DAs on top of the monthlies.

Meanwhile, new customers who came for Tom aren't going to start subscribing to the monthlies just because 4 is there, but they might subscribe to the 4DAs.

Of course diluting their writing is bad for business in the long run, but how long a run? I mean, I'm still buying the monthlies, even if I complain about them, and I'm sure Briggs knows people like me sat through the Saward years without quitting the show, so he knows what our complaints are really worth in sales…

And I realise that I sound less like a junkie and more like an enabler, one of those annoying people who goes to Nar-user meetings and constantly talks about how "I know I'm not helping Nick with my loyalty, but making him worse, and that self-awareness is the first step" whether anyone wants to listen or not, but then doesn't actually change his behaviour.

why the fuck is 80% of classic who out of print in america?

Because for the most part, casual DVD buyers aren't looking for a copy of Ghost Light. So most fall out of print because of low sales. I learned the high way when I paid more than I should have for a copy of The War Games.

Probably low sales which sucks because I'd like to complete my collection but these OOP prices are ridiculous. I might just have to start importing region 2 releases at this rate.

>I learned the high way when I paid more than I should have for a copy of The War Games.
That's why you shouldn't browse amazon unless you're sober.

It would cost them next to nothing to publish everything print-on-demand, and only rotate the ones that are delivered to stores (which are an ever-shrinking fraction of total sales anyway).

But 2|e believed that having everything available at once would "glut the market", and people would actually buy less, and BBCDVD apparently hasn't rethought the policy since then.

It gets dumber every year, as they face more competition not just from piracy, but from used sales of now-out-of-print stories, which is money someone would be giving BBCDVD but are instead giving to some collector.

So I was just reading Love and Monsters and I got to the part where Death talks about how 7 birthed himself by sacrificing 6. How does that work? are all the future regenerations just concepts already existing in the Doctor, waiting to be born, like the Valeyard? Was it some kind of time travel paradox bullshit that was explained in a different VNA that I haven't read?

It's frustrating but DVDs just aren't selling like they used to because
>2017
>physical media
so putting together a complete collection is a challenge (and is only going to get harder)

Oh shit I mean Love and War

>are all the future regenerations just concepts already existing in the Doctor, waiting to be born, like the Valeyard?
Basically, this. But…

>7 may be a special case because he's destined to become Time's Champion, so she could help him to do things that are impossible for normal mortals (and not care if the causality goes the wrong way, what with her being Time and all).

>According to Head Games and Room With No Doors, his prior incarnations may have actually been responsible, thinking they were preventing the Valeyard, so if potential-7 did anything, it was just subtly manipulating memory-1-through-5.

>Or, according to Room With No Doors, 7 may he imagined the whole thing.

>Or, with the version of 6's death from either Spiral Scratch or The Last Adventure (which are themselves incompatible), the question doesn't really come up in the first place.

Capaldi is so good, he's ruined the other Doctors for me, Capaldi is the Doctor.

and this was his best companion

um Tennant is the Doctor ;)

Capaldi would probably kick your ass for liking anyone more than the first two Doctors, even if it was him.

nice numbers

12-12 a zero-zero-zero compared to Hartnell confirmed by digits.

Peter would be happy.

I guess if their's one thing that the audience and River share in common it's that we all have that one incarnation of the Doctor that we hold as our Doctor

Is Martha the only nuwho companion that wasn't a total whore at this point? Maybe Clara?

Also, most of the audience has seen at least the first few Doctors out of order.

How good is 6 in big finish? The huge gaps in his continuity are really compelling.

Big Finish is the reason people like 6.

It's not entirely because 6 himself is so good. He got Evelyn, the best of Big Finish's new regular companions, and Frobisher as a "sidestep" companion works even better than you'd hope, and he had some of the best writers… But 6 himself is very good.

What about Bill?

At least Nardole is pure.

>I generally disliked the EDAs

Really? They're the only BF audios I could get into at all and I liked them as much if not more than the TV show.

>Nardole
>pure

6 is great in Big Finish, particularly the stuff with Evelyn.

Big Finish redeemed the Sixth Doctor.

No, it's most of them. Basically only Rose, Jackie, and Jack are whores.

Maybe Amy, but really, other than trying to bang the Doctor as part of her pre-wedding jitters, we never saw her hit on anyone else except for future versions of herself, and that's just masturbation.

For the rest of them:
>Mickey was desperate for monogamy.
>Martha, you already mentioned.
>Donna clearly wasn't getting any until she got married.
>Wilf may have sowed plenty of oats after the War, but nowadays?
>Rory only looked at anyone besides Amy once in his life, and she turned into a monster so I doubt he ever did it again.
>The Patermonster couple seem to be monogamous.
>Strax is sexless.
>I don't see Nardole going out cruising.
>Bill is a lesbian in a relationship.

>we never saw her hit on anyone else except for future versions of herself, and that's just masturbation.
She flirted, but she never pulled a future version of herself, so it's… attempted masturbation?

Pretty sad when you can't even score with yourself.

Did the doctor ever put earth back in its original place and fix what the timelords did in Trial?

I'm sure he towed it through space with his TARDIS right after he took off at the end.

So Ravolox is never mentioned in any novel or big finish/etc?

Someone must have restored it by "the 57th segment of time", or humans couldn't have abandoned it again. Not to mention the whole The End of the World thing.

But I'm pretty sure we never see it happen.

>So Ravolox is never mentioned in any novel or big finish/etc?
We learn Ravolox is the name the vampires used for Earth in their ancient prophecies, and I think that gets mentioned a couple times. But that's it.

If you really want to fanwank it, I think you can.

There's a K9 kiddie book from the early 80s where a far future human mining company colonizes a planet and then it disappears and they hire K9 to find it, and they never realize it was Earth. K9 finds out that it's fallen into an alternate dimension, which has somehow restored it to preindustrial purity, and the miners are living in a virtual Garden of Eden. So he agrees to keep their secret, and will come up with some other way to make the mining company happy.

Fanwank 1: The reason nobody knew it was Earth is that it was 2 light years away from where Earth should have been, and if it was in the charts, it was as Ravolox.

Fanwank 2a: The miners seemed to be all male. K9 could have just come back in 70 years or so and towed it back to Earth's original location.

Fanwank 2b: What did K9 do to make the mining company happy? It's not explained. Maybe he found some other junk planet in the alternate dimension to tow over to replace Tellus. And maybe he missed by 2 light years. So it turns out that it wasn't actually Earth that was restored, just some other planet in the same place Earth would have been. By the time the Earth National Trust got to it billions of years later, after Tellus' mining and who knows what else, how could they have told the difference anyway?

Was this written by an 8 year old who speaks English as a third language?

No, it was written by a grown man with an AA degree (from a diploma-mill arts university), who thinks the only thing stopping him from making an American version of Doctor Who that's even better than the English one is that the internet won't buy him a $75000 3D camera.

>The Writing Challenge #1
>Write a mind blowing opening to a Doctor Who story. Make the reader desperate to find out what happens next!

The Doctor is collecting magic puzzle pieces to find to get the Tardis to work properly. This is important, he has been doing this all season. My idea does not work otherwise, so please do it!

Suddenly he regenerates!

He becomes a mildly autistic and mildly retarded Latino-American who is very good with 3D technology! Please see attached photos.

He looks in the Tardis viewscreen, and sees there are Daleks outside. But they are transformer super robots!

"Why are you transformer super robots?"

"We believe everything else is inferior". And then they try exterminate the Tardis. But it is no good. Defenses hold.

But the Doctor must go outside and meet the transformer super robot Daleks, because he cannot stay in the Tardis forever. He lost the food dispenser many years ago.

Now what? You will see after the commercial!

Also, there is a new, very exciting companion, but no spoilers!

kickstarter.com/projects/2033983624/doctor-who-pilot-as-a-american-version

kickstarter.com/projects/2033983624/american-version-of-a-doctor-who-pilot

kickstarter.com/projects/2033983624/american-version-of-a-doctor-who-pilot-episode

julpuma512.wixsite.com/raritythatisme

Remember kids, the most important part of life is picking the best Brands for all your products. That's the real treasure.

Holy shit if you pledge just $100 you get picture 4. Is it worth it? Has anyone seen pictures 1-3 yet so I know what I'm getting?

I don't know. He only got $57/$200000 the first time, and $1/$200000 the second time, so nobody got to find out. But this time he's already up to $1/$200000 again, so I think he's going to make it!