So what's so bad about this villain?

so what's so bad about this villain?
why everybody seems to hate it?

he's gay

He always was.

I haven't watched the movie but I'm going to assume that he pulled a Kevin Spacey in man of steel, just went overtop and didn't give a single fuck.

He was great in many ways, but there was 2 issues:

1. Mandarin is one of comic Iron Man's biggest bad guys and something fans were hoping to see since he was teased in the first movie. This guy absoutely was not that Mandarin.

2. The "it was me all along! I have your girl, we much now kung-fu fight!" ending was shit.

If they made Kingsley "JImmy Taliban" or whatever, and not the Mandarin it would have been a great twist and people would have enjoyed it more. The movie also needed a better ending.

It was well on track for a good 8/10 movie up until that point. Though some people didn't like it being more of a "Tony Stark" movie than an "Iron Man". I liked that and felt it very Marvel.

This is an agreeable assessment. Iron Man 3's actually my favorite one.

I actually really liked Iron Man 3 and Ben Kingsley as Mandarin, granted I only knew Mandarin from the 90's Iron Man cartoon where he was just a green wizard.

Comic book fanboys being massive crybabies.
Prior to IM3, no one gave a fuck about the Mandarin and then when the movie comes out, suddenly every-fucking-body was a massive Mandarin fan.
>A true story about fortune cookies. They look Chinese. They sound... Chinese. But they're actually an American invention. Which is why they're hollow, full of lies, and leave a bad taste in the mouth.
Honestly, IM3 playing on this concept, of an American villain (Killian) using foreign cultural iconography to play on the West's fears offered more depth and political commentary than having the Mandarin actually be an evil Chinese warlord with 10 magic alien rings; racial issues aside.

Comic fans would rather have a villain be comic-accurate and bad, than different and good.

Where was teased in IM1? The terrorist cell name? Been forever and don't know much about IM in comics.

It'd be fine with the twist if the Mandarin was replaced by an actually interesting villain.

Yeah the terrorists in IM1 were called 'the Ten Rings' which fans thought was a reference to the real Mandarin... who apparently actually exists in the MCU

I loved the mandarin but agree with this to an extent.

I mean the guy they got to replace Mandarin as the main villain. The blonde guy whose name I don't remember and his gang of hotheads was pretty bad.

That's what happens when IM has no good villains in the comics so the writers take a character who appeared in a grand total of one page in publication history and try to make them the film's antagonist.

Ah gotcha. Thanks

Nothing. The bait and switch worked perfectly. He was wildly entertaining.

He's more Mallen than he is Killian

well he isn't mandarin for starters.

a damn shame that Iron Man 3 managed neither

>o one gave a fuck about the Mandarin and then when the movie comes out, suddenly every-fucking-body was a massive Mandarin fan
This applies to... well, to everything capeshit getting release nowadays.
People see a new Marvel/DC announcements are immediately go search in wikipedia or whatever just so they can gloat how much they knew about the character before it was cool.

Apparently Shane Black wanted it to be Rebecca Hall's character

>We had finished the script and we were given a no-holds-barred memo saying ‘that cannot stand and we’ve changed our minds because, after consulting, we’ve decided that toy won’t sell as well if it’s a female