Am I the only one who thinks that the original 1995 movie isnt even that good...

am I the only one who thinks that the original 1995 movie isnt even that good? style and music aside the plot is the same AI/robots become sentient and a new type of life shit we have seen before even before 1995

>am I the only one who thinks that the original 1995 movie isnt even that good
Yes you are the only one

The movie seemed too short, which I'm guessing had to do with budgetary issues, and consequently it felt like there were plot relevant scenes missing from the final product.

No you aren't but everything that has to be said about it has been said in the last 3 days.

GitS 95 is now slightly less overrated.

this

No you're not, it was boring.

Animation is the art of bringing life to inanimate shapes and figures on a page. Taken as the sum of their parts, none of the shapes that make up characters by Chuck Jones, or Osamu Tezuka, or John Kricfalusi seem like much, but put them through a few basic principles of animation and they seem more lively and empathetic than you or me.

The approach taken by the Ghost in the Shell movie kind of seems like the opposite. Realistic figures that could be called a human, are made to move and act flatly, awkwardly, in all the wrong places. A large chunk of the time they are rotoscoped, poorly. A direction which makes no sense in anime, a medium that can be exaggerated and stretched and symbolic and meaningless. Ghost in the Shell takes these figures and removes any character they might have, makes them less than human. Ghost in the Shell calls this realism.

Paired with this desire to be realistic is a desire to be "mature". The film's idea of maturity being tits, guns, and grimaces. The full extent of the protagonist's character, is that she is a grimacing girl with a gun, her tits out, and robotic powers, all of these are fully apparent on the cover box art. The city this takes place in, which could have been an imaginative, sprawling Cyperpunk dystopia, seems more like Cleveland, Ohio at it's most dreary and dilapidated.

The premise behind this story feels more like the opening text crawl to the Phantom Menace than anything else. We're given little reason to care why these characters are shooting at each other beyond some in universe jargon and tired, "intelligent" tropes of transhumanism and hollywood hacking we're just expected to go with. I don't mind a world full of terminology and vague plotlines, one of my favorite Anime is Serial Experiments Lain, but at least there we have a world and a thematic landscape worth getting lost in, here we just have what could be a fanfiction of a fanfiction of a reboot of a rip-off.

Japan was late to cyberpunk, no one thinks it's new or original. A key component of classic cyberpunk was fear of Japan taking over.

>Japan taking over.

Lol, I still remember when Japan was the place of the future. Apparently they still use fax machines and are resistant to use new tech.

Sperglord weebs freakout and pretend it's special because it's the first one they have seen. And because "nerd culture" is still a thing for some godawful reason and when self-proclaimed nerds that find out there is a hollywood remake of something that other nerds like they go into full on "yo i was always a fan and this remake is an abomination!" without having ever seen the original thing.

Firstly, the movie is nothing like the manga. It actually improves on that piece of shit. So these phony assholes who have never watched the movie most definitely have never read the manga. It's so strange to watch people call the hollywood one a bad adaptation even though it's based on a bad adaptation.

Where we stand now is ridiculous. this franchise had more bad that good before they ever even thought of making this version. I'm so tired of these fake fans and posers.

The manga is straight garbage. To be frank the only good thing out of this franchise is the first season of the anime series which is actually coherent and attempts developing its ideas. It first aired at only one episode a month and it shows.

>Second greatest anime ever made.
Not good?

Great animation that inspired The Matrix. Excellent musical score. If you don't like the story, fine. I mean she is a cop, so its a cop show. If you aren't interested in robots, I can see where it won't hold any magic for you, but for me it still does.

>still use fax machines and are resistant to use new tech.
Just like USA government, banking, and healthcare systems!

>am I the only one who thinks that the original 1995 movie isnt even that good?
No i personally find it overrated but well made.
I even liked Arise more than the movie, that said the live action movie is absolute garbage.
SAC was the best in the series.

>anime
>good

pick one

>japan weeb-shit
>more than just good
wew

No. The plot was incoherent nonsense like most anime movies and the pacing was awful. The visuals were pretty good though.

Sac really went into the depth of the lore though. A 120 minute movie won't have time for all the exposition needed to explore something with the complexity of Sac.

GITS is just Oshii jerking off
It's completely apparent on Innocence but people don't realize that the first one is also Oshii jerking off

Cool visuals, cool setting. Extremely tedious navel gazing. Really the most remarkable thing about gits is the title is cool. There's no depth to anything about it.

This.

I feel like it was missing an entire act's worth of material.

the Major in the manga is cute though. Cute!

They did rush the ending, but all the loose ends were resolved.

>majot manga
>cute

That's not Fuchikoma

HURRHURR VISUALS WERE GREAT LEL

The greatest con ever

It is a fucking cartoon dude! Like you watched when you were a child. Also, everything from 1995 was shit. The whole year and pretty much both years before and after were shit. So obviously it is shit. Cartoon 1995 shit shit shit!

Does that help you a little?

>They DID rush the ending

Holy shit they did, the first time I watched it in 1999 I kept asking my friend "OK, so when do we watch the second half?"

boobs

>USA government
I live in the UK you fat fuck.

Literally just finished watching this and yea, you are probably the only one.

Plenty of organizations use fax machines all the time you retard.

>b-but the USA also sucks
Great response idiot. Write a cheque.

>t. idiot

Watch out for butthurt yanks

I kind of agree with you after watching it the other day, I don't have an issue with the plot it's the dialogue which is just awful. I don't think the Japanese understand subtlety or sub-text. All the characters just describe exactly what they're feeling all the time.

The bubble economy crashed mid production so they just half assed it

The USA isn't seen as advanced and on the cutting edge though

Japanese people can't into subtlety IRL. Their yellow faces are unable to properly convey such emotions. That's why animu characters have European facial features

>Second greatest anime ever made

Maybe for anime fans

>hmm people seem to like this movie
>I know! I'll go on Sup Forums and say it wasn't even that good to get (you)'s
fuck off

Suck ass