Ghost in the Shell bombs at the box office

>Is a Disappointing Ghost in the Shell the Nail in the Coffin of Hollywood Whitewas

>It’s become increasingly impossible to ignore general social pushback when it comes to Asian representation in film and television. Whether it’s cut-and-dried whitewashing (e.g., casting a white performer in an Asian role) or slightly more complex cases of cultural appropriation, the hue and cry from progressive voices in film and TV criticism has called for an end to white leads in Asian and Asian-inspired properties.

>According to Box Office Mojo, in its first weekend, Ghost in the Shell pulled in approximately $20 million domestically on a $110 million budget—below even the conservative prediction that site made earlier in the week. That number looks even more anemic when compared with Lucy, Johansson’s R-rated 2014 film, which pulled in $43.8 million on its opening weekend. Unlike Ghost in the Shell, Lucy wasn’t based on a pre-existing property and didn’t have an established fanbase to draw on. But the Johansson casting has clearly alienated fans of the original manga and anime versions of Ghost in the Shell, and their dampened enthusiasm appears to have discouraged newcomers as well.

vanityfair.com/hollywood/2017/04/ghost-in-the-shell-box-office-whitewashing-bad-for-business/amp

What went wrong?

Other urls found in this thread:

comicbookmovie.com/tv/marvel/iron_fist/despite-being-critically-panned-iron-fist-becomes-a-huge-hit-on-netflix-a149837
huffingtonpost.com/2014/07/10/hollywood-whitewashing_n_5515919.html
twitter.com/AnonBabble

no one wanted a gits live action movie
whitewashing is (((their))) baked in excuse for the failure

more like Ghost in the Tacobell

I didn't care about the whitewashed casting. What bothers me is they shit on the original plot and message.

Yeah sure m8 everyone would totally watch GITS, but they're boycotting it cause of Scarjo.

Just like how they're boycotting Iron Fis--- fuck!

it was just a generic scifi action movie. it's biggest crime was a few good sequences but overall being dull. certainly not a bad movie, just forgettable

it undoubtedly would've made LESS if it didn't have scarjo as the lead

but because this is the age of political correctness bullshit, we'll have 28058209 pieces on "muh whitewashing"

meanwhile, mainland japs don't care and some were actually glad because they were afraid hollywood would cast asian, but not japanese, and would end up with a chinese actress instead keks

asian-americans are HATED by mainland asians, but AA's will never talk about it publicly.

Holy shit. just because its a movie about a character going to another country doesn't make it whitewashing. Characters need to be outsiders, so we can experience the world with them

The Great Wall wasn't whitewashed. It got bad reviews and looked like shit from the beginning. Same shit happened with ghost and the shell

I thought iron fist was always white?
also, isn't iron fist doing great on netflix?

He was and I believe it is. Something like the most viewed Marvel/Netflix show opening yet, I think.

So if Iron Fist is a bomb then Daredevil season 1 and season 2, Luke Cage and Jessica Jones must have been fucking disasters. Being that Iron Fist had more people watching it, and watching all of it than the others mentioned.

The great wall has also made almost 350 million. Jesus fuck they're just giving any monkey with a pen the ability to write articles aren't they.

There is no social pushback. There are a bunch of loud obnoxious fucks (mostly the critics) saying that this is bad because race because of blah and blah... but people have started realizing that critics don't know shit.

>With it bombing this means no more anime adaptations

Maybe they should try making better movies instead. Nobody gives a flying fuck if the lead is white, asian or black as long as it works.

Wait. Lucy was R rated? And GitS wasn't. Someone fucked up here somewhere.

its now raciss to not hand over your money

>Jesus fuck they're just giving any monkey with a pen the ability to write articles aren't they.
>There is no social pushback. There are a bunch of loud obnoxious fucks (mostly the critics) saying that this is bad because race because of blah and blah... but people have started realizing that critics don't know shit.

Well the kind of agenda based factless reporting this article is hardly new. Plus in situations or rather on subjects like this that's basically movie review or "pop-culture" review. There aren't a great deal of people who are going to get up in arms about it. Although it does also happen a great deal in relevant news as well and I don't see any huge backlash about it until the President started the whole "fake news" thing.

>Iron Fist
>whitewashing
He was always white. SJWs sure are stupid

Actually, the article implies the other way. Trying to write a narrative fans didn't go because of whitewashing and thus they were fighting "the man" by not forking over money.

Not that it was just a shitty shallow adaptation.

>Hollywood whitewashing

>image of a character that was always white
>image of a movie MADE IN FUCKING CHINA BY FUCKING CHINESE PEOPLE

Do have a source on that, Netflix never releases their ratings and shit

What was The Great Walls budget? The reason they used Matt Damon was to make sure it appealed to the Western markets. Just like fucking Hollywood puts Asians in to appeal to their markets.

Has anybody thought that GITS was appealing to Western markets and would have done even worse with a no-named Nip, or even worse, a no-named Chink or Gook actor?

GITS was made because it had an established name and an established story, meaning production costs are cut as it's a lot easier to write a script with a story to pick and choose bits from rather than using the story.

What Nips might find interesting, Westerns will not. Indians love 15 min long musical numbers in their films, so much so they get up and dance with them, but you can bet your fucking life savings on a 15 min long musical number in an action film not going down well. Even La-La Land split up the musical with huge chunks of regular screen content.

great now every movie will have extra talentless niggers and spics to fill the colored quota. You happy Sup Forums ?

>complex cases of cultural appropriation

Stopped reading right there.

>what went wrong?

It was the adaptation no one asked for or wanted, and you can't just adapt an anime into live action.
People watch anime for the style, the atmosphere that animation can make.
It's like asking why I chose a print of Van Gogh's Sunflowers versus just a photograph of sunflowers in a vase.

>the film bombed because of white washing
>not because it looked shit, was based on japanese cartoons, and starred Johansson who's a shitty unconvincing actress

It's not that she's white it's because she's a shrill sjw warrior loudmouth cunt.

comicbookmovie.com/tv/marvel/iron_fist/despite-being-critically-panned-iron-fist-becomes-a-huge-hit-on-netflix-a149837

I feel like most commentaters have never read or watched GitS, regardless of whether or not it was whitewashing.

Eh, Iron Fist was a success with viewers, which is what counts.

I seriously doubt GITS was let down by any whitewashing, 99% of the potential movie audience have no idea of what GITS is, so how could they be upset.

Of course this was the problem, GITS is not something that will sell on name, and a fat Scarjo in a ridiculous rubber condom is not going to draw a large movie audience.

From the trailers it looked neither fun nor exciting, some dystopian future landscape, and a bad looking Scarjo in some run-of-the-mill action sequences.

I don't think Valerian will do great either for many of the above reasons, but atleast it will do MUCH better than this by simply the virtue of signaling some humour in it's trailers.

>With it bombing this means no more anime adaptations

Party hard.

you mean how like they already do?

Iron Fist was white in the comics.

Really somebody needs to write and article pointing out the hypocrisy of so-called "colourblind casting", i.e. typically white characters portrayed by black actors being heralded as progress by Hollywood when in the same breath they'll refuse to cast Asians in a film about predominantly Japanese characters ostensibly set in Hong Kong, because I believe that's honestly a contributing factor to audiences staying away from this.

>Whitewashing
Or maybe people are tired of that giant beaked "actress", though someone named "Motoko Kusanagi" should probably be Japanese

Dont care about the 52 marvel series on netflix

Great Wall looked like ass from the first trailer and Damon is playing a European in the movie

Well that's most of the problem. No one knows about GitS and those that do wont like this adaption.

What about Deathnote?

It deserved to bomb. But mainly for managing to rape the source material badly. It's almost an insult to the franchise.

WHITE PEOPLE YOU BETTER START FUCKING RUNNING

WE'RE GONNA KILL EVERY WHITE BOI AND INSEMINATE EVERY WHITE WOMB WITH BLACK SEED

Don't care that she's white. I care that they casted a 4'11" pudgy, aging Jewish dwarf to play the fucking Major.

Source material sucked and was ripped off blade runner.

GitS17 is a solid 5/10 sci-fi.

When Death Note comes out are they going to complain about white washing while ignoring the black washing?

>asians are better off by every metric in America than whitey
>still get mad about film representation like it's not a single california-based industry but instead it's society at large

They should do an adaptation of Afro Samurai and have a chink play the lead role.

Hilarity would ensue.

They already have bitched about the whitewashing and have ignored the blackwashing.

Yeah, the issue is CLEARLY whitewashing and not people being disinterested in live action anime remakes.

2006 Japanese Death Note movie bombed and was shit without whitewashing. Same with the 2015 Attack on Titan which actually had reverse white washing. But hey, ignore those and focus on the American live action animes that bombed too, like Dragon Ball or Avatar TLA.

The Matt Damon thing is pretty jarring. But the film was made by a Chinese company? Weird

Has nothing to do with white washing, name one anime that was turned into live action which was GOOD? I'm waiting.

oy vey this (((white))) actress is the reason my horrible film$$$ are tanking. Less whites pls

us whites huh?

Do you mean by Hollywood or do Jap movies count?

american noone gives a shit about jap shit.

Rurouni Kenshin

This is why we need less whites. White people must be exterminated, white women must be inseminated either through will or through force we will breed the racism out of them.

or more simply: bad movies are just bad
also
>pic related
Who will whitewash them in the inevitable biopic?

Speed Racer

Let's hoqe it's successful and these things get kicked into high gear.

It and Battle Angel Alita.

There was already sone bullshit about whitewashing light. but no complaints of L being black go figure the deathnote adaption may be the final nail in the coffin when released

Diverse casting makes it immune to criticism and it will win awards.

Scar Jo isn't a lead actress, no matter how hard they keep trying to push it.

Nail in the coffin for whitewashing means nail in the coffin for anime adaptations

How many Asian-American actors can you even name?

Do you want everyone in a movie be played by CGI Jacky Chan and what do you see Kaneda? Who the fuck would watch that?

Why is Iron fist lumped in there?
I know internet critics tried to will it to death but it's Netflix's most successful show ever.

Also you can't whitewash a white character.

Anime nerds don't want anime adapted.

SJWs won't see it because "whitewashing."

Normies won't see it because they don't like anime.

Did Vanity Fair seriously judt accuse a chinese movie of whitewashing?

>only the latest financial fallout of asian erasure

Which were the others? Iron Fist did great and that Matt Damon movie was made by the chinese and he was cast specifically to play a white guy.

Why the fuck are they attributing whitewashing to GITs?

Has it been released in Asian markets yet?

Its just a movie no one wanted

This
I love GiTS but fuck Hollywood and fuck anime adaptations

A lot of misconceptions in one post.

Asians hate everyone.

Vietnamese hate Filipinos who hate Koreans who hate the Japanese who hate the Chinese who hate the Thai who hate the Pacific Islanders who hate Cambodians who hate Laotians who hate Mongolians who hate Tibetan who hate the Nepalese.

Every one of those groups can be swapped around for your convenience.

Asians are probably the most racist and xenophobic people in the world.

Akira is getting an adaption. Attack on Titan is getting an adaption. Fucking MONSTER HUNTER is getting an adaptation.

This shit is only going to grow, user.

I think they lump in "whitewashing" with cultural appropriation.

The movie was mostly funded by two huge ASIAN corporations

Someone please point this out to the liberal SJW lunatics while they're doing their daily anti white bashing

Iron Fist was a trainwreck.

Wow its almost like the vast majority of normie people doesnt give a fuck about jap cartoons.

How is Danny being white "whitewashing"? I dont get it, he's canonically white.

Name one.

Iron Fist is great and it's Netflix's most binged show

Maybe it means no more live action Anime adaptations where
they cast the Japanese lead character with a white person. I don't hate Johannsen or anything, although I think a Black Widow movie would have been cool back when they were casting for the Ghost in the Shell movie.

Actually, some people do care if the lead character is Asian or not in a Western adaptation of Asian media. Even in Edge of Tomorrow, which is based on a Japanese light novel, they still should have casted an Asian or Asian-American as the lead. The United States is becoming more and more diverse, well the racist bigot named Donald Trump is trying to put a stop to that, but still, the U.S. is a diverse country and representation matters.

huffingtonpost.com/2014/07/10/hollywood-whitewashing_n_5515919.html

The both of you redneck hill-billy kkklansmen need to fucking die.

>Speed Racer
You mean the critically panned money losing box office failure?
> $43,945,766 domestically and $93,945,766 worldwide.[2] Based on its total gross, it was considered a box office bomb
>Rotten Tomatoes ranked Speed Racer as "rotten", with 39%
> Metacritic 37 out of 100
>"a kindergartner's art class collage".
> "yields heretofore undreamed of levels of narrative incoherence"
> "it sags in its midsection"

You mean that speedracer???

American Hollywood only of course animu gonna do decent in animu land.

>SJWs won't see it because "whitewashing."
BRUH

Thank fuck. It's about time something thought back against Disney and Marvel.

What about Malayans? Cambodians? Burmese? Singaporean? Hong Kongers? Taiwanese?

They couldn't find any real recent examples of white washing so they had to make due with Iron Fist and that chinese movie starring Matt Damon, hoping their audience is too stupid to look into it, which they are probably right about.

Can't wait for Attack on Titan accusations of whitewashing when everyone is White except for that one chick

scarjo being in it isnt why it failed
it failed because weebs dont wanna watch shot they like get ruined and normies dont like anime
anyone who didnt see this flopping from a mile away needs their head examined

>asian makes a cheeseburger
>"wow, what a great burger!"

>white guy makes sushi
>"CULTURAL APPROPRIATION THIS IS LITERALLY RAPE"

>What went wrong.
Bad casting.
Bad story.
>Ghost in the Shell is to introspective and philosophical, so we had to tone it down for audiences because we felt they wouldn't understand it.
Nothing screams asshole more then that.
>Audiences are to stupid to understand simple story, so lets pew pew it up.

>thought

GiTs would have been shit with or without whitewashing, black widow being major was the least of that movies problem.
IF is doing great and non-critics with agendas like it, also dany rand is a white guy.
Great Wall is a fictional story about monsters and shit and Damons character is European and the movie was made by a Chinese company so that's just SJW being offended on behalf of others.

Maybe, but a commercially fairly successful trainwreck and it sure as hell didn't have any "asian erasure" in it.

>the great wall
>hollywood whitewashing

seriously these dumb, dumb motherfuckers

Damon was playing a Roman anyway

Little fun fact, China is obsessed with Romans

People can like anime. If they like comic books, they can like anime.

Also I'm pretty sure that anime fans welcome adaptations. Ignore Sup Forums, those people are a basket case.

Daily reminder.

You are an ugly, anti white racist asshole

The Great Wall and GITS were both heavily financed by Asian companies

That's the hilarious irony here

>some people do care if the lead character is Asian or not in a Western adaptation of Asian media
No they don't. They care if the movie is true to the source material. Ever heard anyone complaining that harry potter wasn't a pakior """""asian"""""? I sure as shit haven't.

This. It's the same reason Neflix's massacre of Death Note is going to fail.

Hollywood is terrified to give the Japanese due diligence.

>why aren't these characters named Bernd and Edward Japanese

You know Citizen Kane was a failure in its day too, right?

Can confirm.
Personally my family doesn't trust niggers, my grandma thinks they're all dirty criminals who smell like dried piss.

Sadly, you're wrong. It's not that people don't understand, it's people don't WANT to understand. They look at their phones and shit during a film. So you gotta have an easy to follow storyline that can be understood if you look down at your phone every 5 mins. Action keeps them paying attention.

Asians are not box office draws. Thats just a fucking fact. Closet they got is Jackie Chan.