I never watched any film set in WW1, are there any good ones?

I never watched any film set in WW1, are there any good ones?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=SyU8eQiJfsk
youtube.com/watch?v=k4Pd527GN48
youtube.com/watch?v=mRPFQMO8yX4
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Paths of Glory
All Quiet On the Western Front
Lawrence of Arabia
The Grand Illusion

Paths of Glory.

Soon to be Wonder Women (yes i've seen a cut. I've signed non disclosure but all i can say is /tv will be in love)

No capeshit please

Many Wars Ago

Watch peaky blinders, not quite during the war but around that time

There really aren't too many because it's a pretty fucking boring and meaningless war. The immediate years following ww1 are much more interesting and deserve more attention.

Gas masks are scary looking

No it's not, you just don't know much about it. It's not really your fault, this "WW1 was nothing but dumb generals sending men over the top to die" trope is too popular.

The Blue Max

Aviation from the German side dealing with one man's obsession with personal achievement and navigating a chain of command that is still mired in the last century.

WW1 was very important on the technological front but it was still a meaningless war that only happened because a bunch of aristocrats from an assortment of countries had alliances with each other based strictly on marriages and old ties that had no real standing or purpose.

It's the war that shaped the entire world for the next 100 years. Arguably the biggest turning point in modern history. Regardless of how it started, it's not meaningless by any means.

>all quiet on the western front
This. The only movie we watched in history class that got multiple people to cry.

Wrong term then. It did shape things but it did so in the worst of ways. Inevitably leading to WWII right after.

I guess it was good in that it broke down old alliances that should have never existed in the first place so there's that.

>It did shape things but it did so in the worst of ways. Inevitably leading to WWII right after.
Yeah, that's what I mean. It's hugely meaningful in that sense. The word isn't inherently positive.

>Paths of Glory
this movie is fucked up. Great movie but fucked up.

The 1930 film, right?

1979. Should I check out the 1930 one too?

Yes. It's absolutely god tier

youtube.com/watch?v=SyU8eQiJfsk

Stalingrad (1993)

Yeah it features some extras who actually went over the top in the trenches in a couple of scenes.

Wrong war.

>he doesn't know about the stalingrad battle from WWI

>WW1

Kirk Douglas.
Stanley Kubrick.
That opening scene of him walking through trenches, pure cinematic gold.

Just wait for Wonder Woman.

this.
i really need to watch this again. its been too long

It has to be the 1996 megahit "Goldeneye"

>the first war that is actually unequivocally miserable and 'hell,' meaning that the public's opinion of war would become negative
>possibly the most miserable war of all time
>the first war with tanks, planes, gas, trenches, etc
>the treaties that fucked over germany to the point of starting an autistic fit, shaping the entire century
>meaningless

Oh! What a Lovely War

Any ww1 movies that depict how shitty the battlefields themselves were? I remember reading about soldiers drowning in mud at Passchendaele or falling into craters and never seen again. Shit was nuts

>an assortment of countries had alliances with each other based strictly on marriages and old ties that had no real standing or purpose.
That isn't true. France and Russia allied specifically to be together against Germany. Britain entered because of a treaty that guaranteed Belgium's neutrality.

Germany allied with Austria-Hungary a bit on "old ties," but also to have an ally against Russia, because they needed to be allied with someone otherwise they were alone. A-H was allied with Germany because their empire was diminishing and Germany was strong. Turkey allied with Germany because Germany had a lot of influence already partly because of trade and military training, and to be against Russia.

A bunch of other countries like Italy, Greece, Bulgaria, etc just allied with whichever side they thought would win or would benefit them the most upon winning.

niggas playing battlefield and now wanna know about world war 1

Its been mentioned but Paths of Glory is true WW1 kino.

It was more than that. WW1 destroyed absolute monarchies in Europe. It completely reshaped the world giving way to modern democracies.
Old empires existing for hundreds of years were replaced. How is this not a big event?
For Germans it was a war between German culture and Western civilization. A natural consequence of the French Revolution that tried to change the old order.
WW1 was probably even more important than WW2.

>meaningless war

>a war that set off a chain of effects that we are still experiencing today

Ok buddy.

>The immediate years following ww1 are much more interesting and deserve more attention.

Which wouldn't have happened without WW1 you utter dumbfuck.

It's objectively the most important event in the 20th century by all metrics.

Gallipoli

>wanting to learn
>bad

Americans, I swear to Christ

also, johnny got his gun
its about a guy who gets his arms, legs, and face blown off. cant hear, see, speak, or move, so he sits in a bed for months and cant die
fucked up stuff

am I the only one who found paths of glory to be hilarious?

If you love satire or musicals you'll like this. Has an all star cast with Maggie Smith and directed by Richard Attenborough (John Hammond).

The real reason WW1 movies aren't shown is:

1.) US only showed up at the end and while decisive by their meer presence didn't directly do very much

2.) Got overshadowed by WW2

3.) More morally grey

4.) The battles were slow miserable slogs, you can't have a lot of the exciting battles that you get in WW2

5.) No "modern"-style tanks, aircraft, etc.. There also wasn't any real or significant tank on tank combat. Shit like artillery ruled the battlefield and artillery is the least entertaining type of war to show

6.) No more veterans

Shame, I've seen so many WW2 shit I got bored of it, wish we got more of WW1

True

>meaningless war

Stopped reading right there

ww1 was a thousand years in the making, and the effects are still fucking up the West today.

Only good one I ever saw:
youtube.com/watch?v=k4Pd527GN48

>Arguably the biggest turning point in modern history
It's a big one, but I would argue that the French Revolurion and subsequent Napoleonic Wars were bigger. Even though Napoleon ultimately lost, he managed to alter the map of Europe significantly and pave the road for modern governments.

This is the best WW1 film ever made.

this. same guy who did master and commander. plus mel gibson looking crazy young.

jesus this is depressing

French?

Fuck you shill, capeshit never

>tfw my 8th grade english teacher showed us this for a week in class
also told us to watch Clockwork Orange
that nigga was pretty dope

Passchaendale, nigger.

youtube.com/watch?v=mRPFQMO8yX4

Warhorse is good

Also no jews. You forgot that one.