Ayn Rand, what do you think of her?

Ayn Rand, what do you think of her?

Attached: Ayn_Rand.jpg (220x329, 11K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=wnedkVrgFF0
youtube.com/watch?v=AZm1_jtY1SQ
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

more like Ayn Trans

Grifter. Selling actualization to narcissists.

Former libertarian BTW.

Idealist dipfuck.

I loved her. No irony. Hurts in the pride to say I hated it.

Not much. However, her ex husband is legendary. He made a really good book on self-esteem.

dead cunt is still bothering us with her retarded ideas

youtube.com/watch?v=wnedkVrgFF0

She kinda predicted the shift towards a more emotionalized and collectivist society - Peikoff refined many points

If there's any single talk I'd recommend to the general western individual it's "A Picture is not an Argument" by Peikoff
That stuff couldn't be more relevant than it is today

She's correct, but way too wordy. She's nearly Ian Watson levels of purple prose. The only thing I wish she had explained was her concept on how, if the government is not supposed to take money from anywhere, it is supposed to fund the military to protect its people from foreigners.

Yeah, what kind of INSANE person would want to OWN things?! I mean, what the hell is wrong with people! How DARE they work, earn money, and BUY things! ALSO, You're RETARDED, SON

Poor, rural folks of course. They will be brainwashed into dying and paying for the wars against the brown invasion.

She never fully opposed taxes if they were used solely for means within reason - like a protective military of course

Look up personal vs private property. It's a very important and not subtle distinction.

Most people grow out of her autistic screeching by the time they are 21 or so. If you want to read ampthetamine-fuelled writing, try Paul Erdős instead... he actually made a contribution to the world.

She's a grifter selling absolution to the guilty rich. Same as the church before.

disgusting kike

One of the worst published scifi writers I have ever honestly tried to read.

Attached: atlas_mini.jpg (1920x1280, 620K)

Absolution for what?
You only need absolution if you're believing in a dogma

Any non leftist-dogmatic narrative would sell absolution then - don't be ridiculous

Every time I've ever tried to watch her speak on a youtbe video, I always run out of fucks to give before she ever gets to a point.

A philosopher without a Ph.D who was obsessed with men and women of scientific capability but married a failure of an actor. She's the Karl Marx of the captalist world, expecting unrealistic perfections in human beings who somehow are able to have a picture picture of all the world's problems enough to never make a strategic mistake. It's all a fucking fairy-tale that invites young inexperienced minds into thinking that it's possible just because they understand some needlessly complex life philosophy.

i think she's dead

Atlas Shrugged is on my top ten favorites list.

i read about 2-300 pages of atlas shrugged and decided that it was too trash to even attempt to continue

rearden's freakout over wanting to fuck dagny because he hated himself because he hated his wife because he hated sex because he hated himself because he hated his wife because he hated sex made my head spin... that's when I stopped reading

Attached: 1548614705653.jpg (480x712, 33K)

For the guilt of looking around on the way to eat thier steak and caviar dinner and seeing someone picking scraps out of a garbage bin. They have to come up with a mandate of heaven or IP fetishism to validate thier hoarding inside of generally cooperative human society.

worst thing the bolsheviks ever did was give her an education

[spoiler]I just want to play with the spoiler tags[/spoiler]

The Cato Institute would have gotten around to it eventually organicaly. If not then then the Heritage Foundation.

Actual Objectivist here.
Brilliant at logic. Downfall is personal life. Retards equating her own personal failures as proof that her philosophy is bullshit.

I think the whole point of being an Objectivist is being able to continue to rationally assess the world as it is. I think a lot of people mistakenly latch on to the tenants as if they are perpetual or her opinions as if they are law.

I've never found a Philosopher that triggered more people other than Karl Marx. And ironically most people don't attack Marx for having been a lazy worthless dipshit his whole life. When it comes to Ayn Rand's ideas, it's always personal attacks, or the crazy shit you find on Communist sites that vastly characterize things she wrote or said.

I like her views on love as a “business deal”
That you must make yourself worthy of love and then to get mutual pleasure from helping or loving your significant other. Making it your best interest to help them.

She did suggest in at least one essay that a government could solicit donations instead of demanding taxes, as well as charge valid fees for services rendered. The idea being charities should (people seem to forget the part where she said it was a moral obligation to produce more than one consumes and it was GOOD to donate and give to charity, so long as the charity itself was good) help out.

She definitely wasn't a political scientist. I have however developed a political theory which I believe to be entirely within the means of her philosophy and still manages to provide services.

I like the idea. The same way we got rid of a draft, so that if people stop believing in the military, we would have no military. Have voluntary donations to fund government. It would force the government to spend it well and wisely.

>>
>>She did suggest in at least one essay that a government could solicit donations instead of demanding taxes, as well as charge valid fees for services rendered. The idea being charities should (people seem to forget the part where she said it was a moral obligation to produce more than one consumes and it was GOOD to donate and give to charity, so long as the charity itself was good) help out.
>>

That would work if you saw results from your donation.

Also, that usually happens in a smaller community or town. In a big ass country like the You-Ess-Aye, next-door neighbors don't really know next door neighbors in big cities (this isn't Our Town or The Andy Griffith Show anymore).

I loved her books but can't argue with that. She wasn't the best writer. It's impressive considering she didn't learn English until she was an adult and came to America, but yeah not the best storyteller. Her more straightforward essays are much easier, or her short stories like Anthem. Anthem is easy and a good story.

This song is basically Anthem put into song form (plus a lot more rock).

youtube.com/watch?v=AZm1_jtY1SQ

This is the superficial assessment. She never expected people to be perfect or not make mistakes. Her point in portraying people that way was as idols, not at realistic. Her argument was you should STRIVE to be better, not that you would ever actually be "perfect" or know everything.

Whenever I break down the basic tenants of her philosophy I always have trouble understanding why people think they're so crazy. I can accept a collectivist not wanting individualism for example, but what about personal responsibility and trying to improve? How is that a fairy tale?

It's the most adult way of looking at it.

As much as I love Ayn's philosophy on individualism, most of her sexuality was some freaky shit. But she was rational about it.

Independent of Rand, years before reading her I got the wake up call from a teacher who declared love to be entirely selfish. I thought, how the hell could that be? And this challenge made me realize it's completely true. Society promotes an idea of love that it's giving. It's not. When you love someone that's all YOU. It's your self getting something. Only if two people mutually love each other do things even really have a chance to work.

When you realize your love is selfish, you can see that you have to make yourself lovable to others for them to love you, and THAT is giving. THAT is what people should be doing. Be the kind of person who should be loved.

>Reading anything by a woman and enjoying it

Attached: 1385744613846.jpg (283x269, 39K)

Right, but ignoring all the regulations that prevent people from being perfect is just... part of the deal?

Get out. Atlas Shrugged is great!

I've spent a lot of time thinking about this. The political theory I developed addresses this. But the key is as you say, being able to actually influence and track government use of money. Never mind Ayn Rand or Objectivism, that should just be policy in any government unless you believe in divinity of power like a theocracy or monarchy.

People could give money with its intended use attached. Maybe give the government some flexibility but let's say 80% of everything you give the government had to go to exactly what you designated it for. Having all expenditures public information and routinely updated. Have it all online. Let the people giving the money determine the pay, determine the contracts, etc. possibly through votes or some kind of averaging.

It would be a second means of power to the people besides voting. It wouldn't dictate who was in office or laws, it would just be about allocation.

What do you mean? Which regulations? Who says to ignore them? And how are they preventing people from improving?

She talked herself into ruining every relationship in her life then died on welfare.

So definitely a genius of comedy.

/thread

Anthem is the mostest boringest book I've ever red

then who was english