Why was this so highly praised? Am I just too /stupid/ for this film?

Why was this so highly praised? Am I just too /stupid/ for this film?

Its a solid movie that uses the premise of ayy lmaos and their language to explore the themes of grief and loss.
I thought it was good movie.

But the whole grief and loss thing seemed like such a smaller part of the story.

It was alright, but it is really overrated. It's not hard to understand, and it's definitely not like the best sci-fi EVAR! or anything.

So it isn't because I'm retarded and it's just meh like I thought?

Sophisticated multi layered analysis coming thruuu:

I like the movie but i like Sci-Fi in general. Its a good one desu and people neglect how hard it actually is to convey such a plot in a useful way. They did that very well.

I dislike the movie for a specific reason though. Its somewhat a manifestation of how powerful language is. The left love this meme. They constantly pretend that language can be all powerful and change literally everything. Since we all know hollywood is infested by leftism its no wonder this movie is so highly praised. Not sure if theres a critic somewhere who pointed that out once. Haven't looked.

In reality though language is just language and its not as powerful as these clowns want to believe. They just want to imprint the power of language in our brains to push their stupid hate speech agendas and forbid certain "speak".

I could go on and on but you get my point

t. 90's born queer

I hate how they keep injecting chinks into every movie these days. Niggers are bad enough as it is.

That's the whole story you surface level casual, the whole film was about that.

The ayylmao's and the science are just the setting in Arrival where the actual story takes place in, the story of Amy Adams character relationship with her daughter and embracing life/death in general.
It is by no means a "hard sci fi" movie about aliens.

The opening and the ending sequences are about that
All the major scenes are intercut with that.
And even when it's in the present narrative it's eithet a heavy close up of Amy Adams for half the movie or a camera placement of her characters point of view.

The ayylmaos and the science were only plot devices for the actual narrative of the mother-daughter relationship.

You're really trying hard to make this movie meaningful. If that was the entire point of the movie then a good hour of it was basically pointless. This isn't some 2deep4you movie, user.

The climax to this movie made no sense and was just a time paradox. How did she know what to tell the chinese guy on the phone? Because he told her what to say in a "future-flashback?" Then how did he know he had to remind her of that in the future dimension? Because she'd called him and said it to him earlier over there? The cycle must have started somewhere

>i like Sci-Fi in general
opinion discarded

Arrival is part of a recent series of movies I'd describe as Dunning-Kruger Sci-Fi. Along with Interstellar and to a somewhat lesser extent The Martian, they perfectly play to the crowd that fancies themselves as (and, to be fair, may truly be) smarter than average audiences but are not as smart as genuinely "smart people." They are movies designed to make the audience feel smart by introducing complicated and heady concepts, and then holding the viewer's hand the entire way through until there is next to nothing to be left up to interpretation.

If you didn't already know the twist in Arrival by the time she was in the milky section of the ship with the aliens AT LEAST, you perfectly fit the audience I am talking about.

There is no reward for being smart while viewing these movies because everything is eventually spelled out in big fridge magnet letters. Any clever idea is made so transparent that even the most simple in the audience will get it. It also removes any reward for rewatching or trying to figure out what you just saw.

Granted, there is a difference between Arrival and Interstellar. I think where Interstellar was pretending to have a brain it actually didn't have, Arrival has a brain that it is refusing to let the audience use.

Completely disappointing movie.

Also
>so that just happened

>just a time paradox.
Its a causal loop which only becomes a paradox when you look at time linearly.

the whole point was that the aliens perceive time non-linearly. yeah it's dumb as fuck but it's not supposed to really make any sense. which is why it's dumb as fuck.

No you tard it was about how "le war is bad and caused by miscommunication" shit

DUDE THINKING IN CIRCLES LMAO

>everything is eventually spelled out in big fridge magnet letters.
Which is why I don't get the confusion over the movie. I don't think its even close to 2deep4u, all right there on the surface, but people still seem baffled by it. That baffles me.
I mean if someone doesn't like it that is fine but the majority of "criticism" I've seen leveled against the movie is either people not getting it, or arguing with the internally consistent logic of the movie because they think because a movie creates a deterministic universe that its an argument that the real world is similarly ordered.
Like I don't believe in ghosts and vampires, but I can watch a movie about them and not sperg out because GHOSTS AIN'T REAL!

fuck off

Why are you baffled that people say they "don't get" a movie that pretends to be smart 90% of the way through and then just ends with a cop-out time paradox ending? They probably just thought they missed something because it couldn't believe it would that stupid

The back story.

China tried to buy a big chunk of Hollywood, but when they could not caugh up the gold backed Yen they scream left and right, Hollywood told them to fuck off, hence there is nothing new on torrentz2 for like the past 5 months.

It was Highly praised because Hollywood Obama's thought it was going to rain Chinese Gold... I dont know what exactly haptened in that context but... long story short...

Thats the redpill dope or whatever is cool nowadays kids.

>but when they could not caugh up the gold backed Yen they scream left and right
maybe im too sleepy to make sense out of that or you screwed the grammar bretty bad

All gooks use Yen as their currency, duh

ching chong nip nun fong

Hey, Im Russian, I like the Chinese.

Woos Americans getting pushed around by ISIS.

We have to fix it for You little babies, Us Russians and Chinese.

>Like I don't believe in ghosts and vampires, but I can watch a movie about them and not sperg out because GHOSTS AIN'T REAL!

Oh my god this

>Which is why I don't get the confusion over the movie. I don't think its even close to 2deep4u, all right there on the surface, but people still seem baffled by it.

>There are still people out there who think the movie is about time travelling
Never underestimate the people's stupidity.

>Granted, there is a difference between Arrival and Interstellar. I think where Interstellar was pretending to have a brain it actually didn't have, Arrival has a brain that it is refusing to let the audience use.
That's true.

Wouldn't call the ayylmaos a mere plot device but you're kinda right. It's definitely not the "while point" but it's the most significant.

the direction was great. all the technical aspects were top level. such a beautiful looking and sounding film. also well acted. the story was fine, but not hard sci-fi enough for me.

true.

>Nobody on Sup Forums saw the twist coming 20 minutes into the movie
This type of horseshit is what happens when you fucking troglodytes don't read scripts on a regular basis.

I completely forgot to mention how fucking much I hated the commercial-like exposition video in the middle of the movie. Probably the worst way to show progression.

The dead kid subplot was stupid, but overal its decent movie

The movie was quite good. Best sci-fi film in recent memory.

Arrival makes Interstellar look like Lost in Space.

Never saw it
always thought it was a shitty day the earth stood still rip off

>Am I just too /stupid/ for this film?
Yes. Read a book and stop taking Sup Forums memes seriously.

>I dislike the movie for a specific reason though. Its somewhat a manifestation of how powerful language is.
Language is powerful; you think in language. Different languages behave differently, they have different structures in the form of syntax and vocabulary, and as a result learning a particular language is learning a different way of thinking. Now, I will agree with you that the left loves this idea, but I'll also agree that they take it to fucked up places and ignore any number of issues that arise from their particular reading of said idea.

tl;dr - Language is powerful and the left is retarded.

Because its not about time-travel, you nog. Stop Dr. Who'ing your way through the conversation.

scifi is so rare that even a half-assed 2deep4u attempt gets endless praises

But the Martian was a good movie

You fuckers can whine all you want, but the first contact scene was easily one of the best executed first contact scenes in cinema history.

It was an actual experience watching it in cinema, Villeneuve knows how to create tension.

right. bravo.
and you can add Gravity and Passengers to that list of yours.

>

how nu r u

Um about a week and a half nu

I didn't even realize it was supposed to be a twist until after I saw it and read other peoples thoughts.

They tell you early on that the majority of the film is a flashback flat out. People just wanted to believe that it was linear because the other way is a sadder solution.

Also I wish this was out after the imdb boards died. No one would have ideas to steal from to make their own. Like Stuckmann.

A year or so
Why?

Because you were responding to the most overused stale-ass Arrival pasta like it's a genuine thoughtful post,

kind if this, having the main character literaly see the future by learning a language was IMO a little bit to much

It doesn't matter if it's a pasta or not,everything written in there is correct.

Why are you so FUCKING mad?

I responded in just a segment of the pasta.
Bu yeah I never saw it before, I was usually arguing with the time travel fags

The Wonderfulâ„¢ Pistachios product placement was pretty subtle.

What most people don't realize is that there are certain indicators and devices that give it away immediately. It's funny as fuck when a bunch of film majors go to watch it together and there's a collective eye roll all at the same exact moment.

This film was such a disappointment. Decent first half but all down hill from there.

DUDE CIRCLES LMAO

>2017
>pasta still attracts more than 5 serious replies

It does not say almost anything about the actual film, only about the overpraising audience.

It's the same like criticizing Pulp Fiction and Fight Club as "bad films" just because some retards think those film have the meaning of life itself in them or something.

time travel, psychic visions of the future, whats the difference? Her phone call to the Chinese general is still a paradox

it might share some themes, the tone is different though. Also which version of tDtESS were you shitposting about?

>time travel, psychic visions of the future, whats the difference?
The difference is that she never leaves the current narrative.

>Her phone call to the Chinese general is still a paradox
It's a paradox if it's set in a linear timeframe, which it ofcourse isn't.
It isn't like she's watching a youtube video of her future and then continuing with her life, once she grasps the non-linear language she experiences the past, present and the future at the same time.
Because it's not linear (there is no time), all her decisions are interconnected and happen at the same "time", just like that chinese general phone call. It's not this happened than that happened. it's at the same moment.

that tl;dr contains a retarded generalization. You must be leftist.

this is sadly true. I would make an analogy with the horror genre and the vvitch but Im kinda lazy right now

DUDE
CIRCLES
LMAO

>all those people talking about how It Follows, The Babadook, and VVitch really made them think

>The Witch
>"half-assed"

sure thing buddy

DUDE "DUDE THING FROM A FILM LMAO" LMAO

I liked it, it was fiiiiiiiiiiine, its only a masterpiece compared to the crap the rest of the genre pumps out.

DUDE 'DUDE "DUDE THING FROM A FILM LMAO" LMAO' LMAO

nice unfounded fan fiction you got there

you can make up 2deep4u theories about literally anything if you try hard enough

Go watch any Villeneuve interview, the first thing he mentions when someone asks what is it about is "It's about the relationship of a mother with her child"

Also what is even deep about it? It's a well executed narrative with a simple, but effective point to it. Just because it's a non-linear subject doesn't make the film automatically deep.
Why do you autists think that a movie has to be "le deep" to be good?