Is it possible to make a good movie that doesn't have a theme or themes? For example, what's the theme of Fargo...

Is it possible to make a good movie that doesn't have a theme or themes? For example, what's the theme of Fargo? Why do people think Fargo is a good movie?

No theme would be a theme.
No theme is basically post-modernism.

Satire, absurdity and the novelty of life would be the general theme of "no theme".

Seinfeld was originally about how a comedian got his jokes but later on in the show they restructured it to be about having no themes.

Is it possible to make a good movie that doesn't have a meme or memes? For example, what's the meme of The Force Awakens? Why do people think The Force Awakens is a good movie?

Fargo has themes, mainly the Greed of Man from what I remember. If you're telling a story, it's going to have themes, mainly because anything and everything can be a theme. The closest to not having a theme would be to have so many themes that are unrelated and unconnected.

It's like genre. No matter what you make, it can be assigned to a genre. The closest thing to no genre, would be having no single genre, and just utilizing as many as possible.

>No theme would be a theme.
pic related.
>Satire, absurdity and the novelty of life would be the general theme of "no theme".
the novelty of life is a theme.

So individual episodes didn't have themes? That doesn't matter, Seinfield was a TV show, a comedy TV show.
And I have a hard time believing that there weren't any reoccurring themes over time, even if they were incidental.
Like, you could say the theme of Curb Your Enthusiasm is how selfishness never pays off in the long run.

okay thanks

the word theme is suspiciously close to meme and is being used as such

No it isn't

It really is. You can find themes in absolutely everything if you look hard enough

Quite possibly the dumbest post I've seen today.

everything has themes. if something purports to have "no theme," the theme is absurdism, nihilism, or existentialism.

listen man I keep a journal where I write notes regarding film and I just wanted to be validated

I wrote "Theme is the most important part of crafting a narrative. Every character, action, and piece of dialogue should point towards one or more themes. Underlying themes should relate to a bigger overarching theme."

>the word theme is suspiciously close to meme

Not really. They both look the same, but they don't rhyme or anything.

not an argument

John Wick and Commando are masterpieces and they don't really have a theme.

Some movies have themes that are easily stated. Some have themes that are harder to pin down. Some have almost none.

Revenge is a theme

Really?

What if you made a movie without once thinking of the word or idea "theme". Would it be accidentally post-modern?

Yes. It's probably one of the earliest themes in story telling.

Sunny P is about making a sit-com.

And it benefits from the producers forcing them to set it in a pub instead of in a theater.

>mumblecore

REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

fine.

what the fuck does this mean

A theme is any concept that recurs in a work. Fargo has lots of snow in it. That's a theme.

SNOW ISN'T A FUCKING THEME