How the fuck are ships not crash straight into a planets and obliterating it all the time?

How the fuck are ships not crash straight into a planets and obliterating it all the time?

there is a whole lotta emptiness in space

Space is big. Also, navigational charts.

there is a whole lot of planets when you're going at the speed of light too

This is one of the few thing directly addressed in the film. The onboard computer calculates a clear path before the jump.

They do if you just fly without star-charts and beacons.

The Star Wars galaxy is old.

planets/ galaxies are generally in discs

stars within galaxies are generally light years apart

galaxies are up to billions of light years apart

It's a very distinct possibility, so routes are carefully calculated to avoid doing so. It makes charting unexplored space rather dangerous, though. As Han said, "traveling through hyperspace's not like dusting crops."

dude maps and computers and shit

It's literally explained by dialogue in the film.

>on-board computer capable of virtually mapping literally trillions upon trillions of moving bodies

And yet they need to build a big fat orb the size of a moon to blow up a planet??

The computer makes calculations and finds a clear path from where they are to their destination. This is explained in episode 4 by Han.

han literally tells you the falcon has to calculate with the navicom before they make the jump to hyperspace, or else they might crash into an asteroid filed or bounce too close to a supernova.

when? i haven't watched the movies in years

the real question is how often do you have pilots drunk off their ass accidentally crashing their relativistic space bullets into inhabited planets?

>that'll end you trip real quick kid

look at the night sky

see how it's mostly empty? thats why

This.
Not only is OP's question answered in the movie, but the delay in waiting for the computer to do the calculation is used as a device to heighten suspense.

Computers. Now, the real question is:

If you want to destroy a planet, why not just ram a star destroyer going at 3x light speed at it? It annoys me how infrequently FTL travel is used as a relativistic weapon.

All the time. The planets aren't damaged.

I think, not sure, I think that space stations get ganked by it. So in Star Wars there is a good reason to stick to a planet. Defense against hyperspace attack.

yeah but if you're going at the speed of light surely you'd encounter a ton of asteroids and other space clutter

>Traveling through hyperspace ain't like dusting crops, boy! Without precise calculations we could fly right through a star or bounce too close to a supernova, and that'd end your trip real quick, wouldn't it?

I mean, I get asking questions and/or pointing out plot holes in movies. But this one got addressed by the script. Conveniently, it's also how the movie created a little tension when they were being chased by two ISDs before escaping Tatooine - not only how they could not hit planets and stars, but how they couldn't just immediately jump away.

Space is big. You just won't believe how vastly, hugely, mind- bogglingly big it is. I mean, you may think it's a long way down the road to the chemist's, but that's just peanuts to space.

When you are travelling at the speed of light, you are also infinitely small.

how does that work

The chances of hitting some large object like a planet while traveling in a straight line through space are effectively zero

Wind resistance.

It's a small moon, though

It's not real, OP. You can't make a spaceship travel at lightspeed. It would literally disintergrate.

Just ignore the Physics and enjoy the movie.

Pre-lightspeed they make calculations so that this doesn't happen. Even if they didn't do it though, space is like 99.999999999999% empty and the chances of them crashing into something would be next to impossible.

>It annoys me how infrequently FTL travel is used as a relativistic weapon.
That's true.

>making mathematical calculations is the same as generating massive amounts of energy and emitting it in a controlled manner

when you run into asteroids and space debris they disintegrate due the momentum

asteroids and planets and shit are generally only located near stars as the matter collapsed into the star system

asteroids aren't that close together, also why would you warp speed through an unclear path, you wouldn't

space is super fucking empty, as we speak there is a galaxy crashing into our own, nothing will happen, they just pass through each other and form a new galaxy.

>you will live to see planets going through your galaxy

It's answered in the movie but I'll give you the 100% tismo answer.
The planets are connected with hyperlanes, space highways that keep you from crashing into shit.
You either crunch the numbers or follow the predetermined road to get to where you want to get.
Also hyperspace =/= traveling at the speed of light.

Weird. You'd think droid-operated space craft being used to ram enemy ships at lightspeed would make all but the smallest vehicles pretty inefficient for military purposes.

Why didn't the Rebel Alliance have a kamikaze wing?

>A New Hope
>episode 4

kys

they set a course to make sure they can travel in straight without smashing into shit
i'm pretty sure star trek does the same thing
or maybe they open a wormhole or something i dunno sci fi's gay

t. Douglas

Your kind is a dying breed user

The empire used a class of ship equipped with an interdiction field generator, which basically emulated a massive gravitational force, pulling ships out of hyperspace/preventing ships from jumping. Nullifying any type of kamikaze attack

FYI: you could send a thousand probes randomly into the asteroid belt and only have one of them pass by an asteroid closely enough to make a photograph

and that's the god damn asteroid belt

lol

american ''''''''''''education''''''''''''

It's the will of the force