I'm 26 years old and I watched this for the first time today

I'm 26 years old and I watched this for the first time today

why the fuck were movies so much better back then

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=394jYH82s2o&ab_channel=Fivestarmichael
youtube.com/watch?v=Rk1aQx9hTaE
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Maybe because they weren't all blue with shitty color grading? Or because there weren't so many SJWs around?

because they were made for semi-literate american audiences instead of chinese idiots who eat up anything with tons of CGI

also , at least, with superman the people involved actually cared about making a good movie.

People involved in the production had some reverence and respect for the character, instead of pure disdain.

it wasn't all that similar to the comic book version. They were just talented and wanted to make a good movie.
They would have done an excellent job on any subject just because they were professionals

Kind of this, actually. There wasn't the expectation that movies would play all over the world. So many great things are culturally idiosyncratic, and it's easier and more tempting to hit for a double. That's why Transformers movies have tons of slapstick and toilet humor. Wordplay and complex characters aren't just harder, they're less universal. Even "orange slices" has a bunch of Euros and South Americans getting salty because they didn't grow up in the American middle class.

he killed Zod in Superman 2.

I bet you feel really stupid right now.

You couldn't magically fix everything in post production with CGI, so you had to put some thought into making a movie

Too much Lois Lane bullshit

Yes, the first appearance of Clark Kent as Superman in the costume is far better than anything in the later Superman movies
youtube.com/watch?v=394jYH82s2o&ab_channel=Fivestarmichael

Great movie ;_;

Reeves was perfect, the music was literally goat, and the opening credits were phenomenal

youtube.com/watch?v=Rk1aQx9hTaE

This movie and the Donner cut of Superman 2 are still the greatest capeshit movies. It's not even fair to call them capeshit, really.

This nailed Superman as a character, and also Clark Kent. Bryan Singer's was the only that came close to getting the character right and that's only because the portrayal is so close to the original. Unfortunately, Superman Returns is uninspired in so many other ways.

>He killed Zod

What?

Thi-diddley-is

It was never said what happened to him, and, at worst, it wasn't a visceral, murderous kill.

By this argument, Lex was left at the north pole and froze to death, too.

>it wasn't all that similar to the comic book version.
You are incorrect.

No he didn't.
There are scenes of Zod and co. being taken into custody after the Fortress incident.

MFW I saw it in the theater when it first came out!

op here, watched it again... now onto superman II.

"we all have our little faults. mine's in California"

fuck modern movies desu. technology absolutely ruined television and film.

it's a little unfair to compare just any movie with Superman 78

> one of John Williams' best scores
> perhaps the best production design in any motion picture. I'm talking about Luthor's lair specifically.
> Maybe the best cast of any capeshit. You literally can't do any better than Brando and Hackman
> Richard Donner bringing the tension he mastered in the Omen to superhero disaster setups.
> Unique visual effects more influenced by old hands from 2001 than Star Wars

I see your point. I guess I just haven't watched a good film in a long time. With how great this movie was, I can't believe I had never seen it considering I have seen MANY movies from that time period that were also very good. (from 78 alone, Halloween, Grease, Animal House, Dawn of the Dead, The Deer Hunter, Up in Smoke, even the fucking cartoon Lord of the Rings)

I also had no idea John Williams composed the soundtrack, but now it's really fucking obvious lol.... very similar to his other work.

I'd recommend you tap out after Superman 3.
Actually, about halfway through S3. It really starts to go downhill in that movie.
Watch S2 and the Donner cut.
MAAAAYYYYYBe Superman Returns, as it's an homage to the 1st 2.

I'm watching S2 then the Donner cut and stopping most likely (I've seen superman returns a few times, might watch it again anyway because I'm in the mood)

third sequels are never good, except Rush Hour 3 :^)

If S3 hadn't been a Richard Pryor movie, it would have been great. Rich is cool, don't get me wrong, but he's not Superman material.
And IV was absolute shit money grabbing.

I had no fucking idea Pryor was a main character in 3. what the actual fuck

?????

now I actually want to watch it for the luls

can you give me your opinion about the difference between S2 and the Donner cut? pros and cons etc. I read that none of the Hackman scenes were reshot for official release, which makes me happy

Seriously, why are the Burton and Donner films so similar? Talking about how they both started great but went downhill after the 2nd film, god tier production designers, god tier scores, god tier cast, god tier visuals, god tier effects, etc?

??

My brother of funk!

>(from 78 alone, Halloween, Grease, Animal House, Dawn of the Dead, The Deer Hunter, Up in Smoke, even the fucking cartoon Lord of the Rings)
Very good taste, user. And, as for the soundtrack: I believe it may be the only score in which you can hear an entire orchestra 'sing' the movie's title.

Donner cut is trash, it's basically a rehash of the first movie

I don't believe you. explain

orange slices?

>shit vs sepia shit with explosions

You guys are my age
I didn't see superman theatre though :(
Star wars at the drive in in 77
And Sagan was the fucking man

Thank you. American movies of the late 70s and early 80s were so comfy they made us all want to be americans.

Burton and Donner were very involved in the first two, then had the franchise yanked away from them by people who only cared about the money they could make and not the quality to live up to.

Same with the Hellraiser series, desu

Nah, I've read plenty of Superman comics from that time period . It's not really all that similar.

Alternative cuts don't count. Maybe if donner stayed on that would have happened but then again it doesn't be happen in donner cut either (I think he just reversed time again in that)

Would comic book Superman go back to the dinner and beat up the trucker after he got his powers back?
Probably not
The movie was great but took plenty of liberties with the character

It is, it's pretty much spot on.

He repeats the same ending as one. Though I actually prefer the Donner cut rather then giving superman new powers that he never had before.