Ghost in the Shell

>based on a massively influential anime property
>Scarlett Johansson
>massive flop both critically and commercially
What went wrong?

Other urls found in this thread:

trends.google.com/trends/explore?date=today 12-m&q=/m/02bpq,/m/03dhbp,/g/11bwlvpy39,/m/0dl567,/m/06mv6
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

it's opening up this friday in japan. it'll do well then

It was incredibly dumbed down so retard foreigners wouldnt be confused by the dialogue

>Beating by Boss Baby

Disney/Marvel have successfully painted this film as a "flop". Thus people are less likely to see it, and it will eventually not make it. The film is fine actually, nowhere near as bad as it is being painted; it's a lot better than a lot of the trash Marvel has put out, but their films have been met with nothing but praised despite being garbage all around. Best of all they have shills on the internet doing a lot of their work for them like (you).

influential does not mean popular .
>Scarlett Johansson
and?
>What went wrong?
nothing, it preformed as was expected

Wrong actress for the role.
Completely fucked the story.

Studios thought movie goers would not give a shit about these two things. They were wrong.

Should have been R. Should have had an Asian lead. Should have had the story intact.

Maybe they'll learn. But probably not.

Twitter "stay woke" assholes happened

Rotten tomatoes should be closed, its literally a cancer in the industry

They removed the philosophy. That's all GitS was.

Studios aim to make money, user. $18 million at the box office after this long on a 110 million dollar budget is a massive failure. International sales will not make up the difference. Remember movies are supposed to make a profit, not break even, and there no chance at all this will make even $150 million, meaning it was a tremendous waste of time for them.

What exactly, from TV spots and trailers, would make the average movie-goer want to see it? People aren't gonna waste their money unless it's a real spectacle or event.

99.99% of anime is trash, and therefore 99.99% of movies based on anime are trash.

Americans don't give a shit about anime. I mean I'm a nerd NEET and have watched some anime even but I don't even care about this movie.. can't imagine the majority of normies are going to want to see this

my normie brother/sister didnt even know this movie came out

she is ghost in the shell

The majority of people wouldn't even understand it's suppose to be based on an anime. So they just see this "ghost in shell" movie with ScarJo trying to be all action sci fi. That shit never flies. Think of the past action sci fi movies with female leads: Aeon Flux, Ultra Violet, Tankgirl, etc.

Audiences just don't give a shit about these types of moves, and the only ones who do are the people who watched and liked the anime version. But of course, hollywood tries to aim for a larger audience and ends up completely neglecting the only people who want to see it.

>Americans don't give a shit about anime.

Not true. They just don't care about it in this form.

Kids still go crazy over DBZ.

You know, I have a feeling GitS and movies like it aren't dumbed down "for the audience." Plenty of extremely intelligent, well-written movies have been successful in America. I think that when film studios go and try to adapt high-concept movies like GitS, it's actually the writers and producers that are too stupid to understand the material, so they write it in a way that appeals to their own sense of what a story should be like.

I agree with the theory that Marvel/Disney are paying off reviews or bullying studios to purposefully make film franchises fail so they can't have any other competition, Transformers seem to be the exception here since it was made same year MCU began and they had no idea Iron Man would be so successful.

This. GitS stripped of its message is nothing. The live action version is capeshit tier. All visuals, no purpose.

>kids
those are man children

And now Scarlett has fucked up her hair and will never get another part

when will weebs learn?

american bias about cartoons makes everyone lower their standards to dogshit until it becomes live action.

it's not even a bad movie

live action anime films are destined to be worse than the original. but i found it entertaining even as a fan of the original. was it amazing? no, but it looked good and the action was pretty decent. my main complaint is that there were too many giant holograms being projected around the city.

>based on a massively influential anime property
It's just like when It came to the USA in 96

>jews casting other jews because jews

lol

what's the .01%?

I'm seriously starting to think when the last big franchise was aside from Disney/Marvel in film that started post 07? X-Men doesn't count since it is early 00s.

What makes you think weebs wanted this? The only people excited for this movie were eternal normies and gigaplebs. There's no demand among weebs for live action versions of anime movies because the anime movies already exist and weebs vastly prefer anime to live action anyway: there's a much bigger demand for an anime version of LOTR than there is for a live action version of Akira.

hair grows back, douchebag.

when will women stop getting this fugly cut? new fad when

It is hard to ever get it back to the way it was she will be lucky if it looks anywhere near as good

Careful what you wish for new fad seems to be bald

nice try but you know at least one weeb was involved at some point weeb.

This

she now look like motoko aramaki producers are quite retarded they should pulled man machine interface adaptation from the get go.

Edge of Tomorrow and Old Boy

it was a hobby project, like that time they did kite

No, actual kids. My nephew doesn't miss an episode and buys all the games.

Can confirm. My boy loves Dragon Ball Z. Thank God for Kai

It came out waayyyyy too late. Should have been out in 2007 at the latest. The anime fad is over. I would have gone out to see it 10 years ago, but now I'm just burned out. There are millions like me.

kill yourself

The anime or the movies?

this guy's right abut the movies

Cowboy Bebop, Miyazaki and Paprika are the .01% of the anime

it was shit

To give an idea of DBZ's continuing popularity:

trends.google.com/trends/explore?date=today 12-m&q=/m/02bpq,/m/03dhbp,/g/11bwlvpy39,/m/0dl567,/m/06mv6

I'm right tho

You got no comeback cause I'm right

>based on an massively influential anime

That means jack shit to 99% of Americans.

i saw it in the theatre the other day without having seen the anime. I thought it was ok but that it dropped the ball on actually being meaningful. like it brushed on the "what it means to be human" angle but didn't care enough to actually go into or do something with it.

I'll probably forget it was ever made after a month.
should i watch the anime some time?

Original movie is a pillar of cyberpunk so worth watching just for that.

Why do normies pretend to like DBZ?

Watch the 1995 movie.

sounds very probable

dude, japanese people love anything hollywood makes. if they made an anime adaptation of pulp fiction people would be all over that.

also, i have a japanese friend who already said he's seeing it

>muh whitewashing propaganda
>western audiences don't fucking care about anime remakes

Shocking

The anime is all right.

It's one of those super steady franchises where the people that like it will consume it even if it's shit.

Not 99%.

It's familiar to Milllennials who grew up with anime.

They swung at the wrong time with this. 10 years ago it might have been a hit. 5 years from now Millennial nostalgia would have helped it.

>My weeb garbage is too intelligent for those plebs to understand
Every god damn time.

The people who knew of the anime are the ones who wanted the least a Hollywood adaption.
Weebs loathed the idea of a live action GiTS.

That's the main reason why weebshit will never be financially successful.

because normies actually do like dbz.

It's on of the least weeb-tropey animes in existence. It was also coming out as a bunch of the current generation were young, and it was mainly focused on the action without too many background plots or noise. easy to follow + young viewership + violence + accomplishment through effort - weebshit = something westerners can easily enjoy

forgot to mention the admittedly stellar english dub casting

This seems most likely. What studio was this?

This is true too. Who would have thought that the Matrix would have to be dumbed down in fifteen years?

>local theater stops playing it Thursday
should I go and see it? alone

I'm a pretty big fan of the 1995 GitS movie and I wouldn't have minded a live action one if they kept true to what GitS actually was. Apparently hollywood producers thought that it would be too boring to succeed so they just turned it into an action/revenge/origin story.

It could've been great if they didn't try to make it some huge blockbuster start to a franchise. They put so much money into it that they had to follow the most basic of formulas to appeal to as many as possible, and that pretty much fucked them.

Everyone is just trying to hit the billion dollar mark, and because of this any movie with huge budgets disregard art for profit. The only good movies anymore are low budget indies.

I can't pinpoint where it went wrong. It was charming in a way, but you definitely need to know about the source material to enjoy it.

This is a good analysis. Some strong nostalgia is unleashed after about a decade, but Ghost In The Shell only had one good film and a TV series that a lot of weebs tend to shit on (despite the fact that's it's alright).

Maybe this, the story felt very deconstructed

How fashy

>(you)
Hey, that's me.

They could've made an introspective film for about 60-80M and it could have been a critical success on that basis alone. I still want to see the movie.

There are several tv series, but it is generally accepted that SAC is the only good one though.

That dumb le Drumpf xd baby movie beat this at the box office, why are Americans so retarded?

no you're not at all, pretty sure you're baiting. A chink slut wouldn't have changed the movie at all. go back to twitter you sjw faggot

Its a CG kids movie, they always make more money than they should.

The only reason they got her was so it could sell tickets, if you think having some no name on an anime movie would've gotten your average Joe to be interested because a really loud vocal minority on the internet protested against it, then you're dumb.

>an anime adaptation of pulp fiction
*I* would be all over that

Im gonna be honest, I didnt even know it came out yet.

I think a less known actor would have been better for the film's financial prospects than ScarJo. People are bored of her, and she looked ridiculous in this. The idea that a film needs a famous actor in the lead role to be a success is so ridiculous.

Every other race in the world has no problem watching a person of a different race as the main character, but white people refuse unless its artsy

Kusanagi's body is supposed to look white though.

White people think all Japanese characters in anime are white and not a single Japanese person thinks of them as anything besides Japanese since you know they all speak Japanese and have Japanese names

>make the visuals a bunch of direct homages to the 1995 movie that only fans will really appreciate
>piss off all those same fans by rewriting the main character and the story into generic Hollywood slop
Either aim to please fans or just make your generic Hollywood sci-fi action shlock. Don't do both.

>y-you're baiting!
>y-you're an SJW!

when you get this response you know you won the exchange

Scarlet doesn't sell tickets. They could have used her salary for even better special effects and went with a lesser known actress and probably made more money in the long run.

I'd even go as far as saying this film has proven Scarlett is an anti-draw. People saw her in this said fuck that, tired of her face everywhere.

Oshii himself has said that she is supposed to look white in the original movie.

Fans didn't want to see it cause it was apparent from the trailers they gutted the Major's character and turned the plot into something resembling Robocop with only bare references to GitS lore. And for the normie audience I can only imagine it just seemed like another kitschy action girl sci-fi movie with no depth, an impression helped along by their casting choice. I mean sure there's always an audience for stuff like that, but they really went all out to make it feel as bland as possible with the story rewrites. There was nothing compelling in those trailers. Nothing people hadn't seen before.

If you go to Japan and see normal women you'll discover a lot of them look way more "white" than the popular stereotypes would suggest. The models and television shows are like anywhere else: they don't show what people really look like.

An older (late 20s/early 30s) Japanese woman would see Motoko in the 1995 film at the time of its release as looking no different from many of her peers.

I don't really care what he has to say about that. If Shirow came out and said it I would consider it.

There are large groups of people on this board that equate attractive with looking white. Asian women that live up to the submissive stereotype get a pass on their eyes, but a black woman that doesn't fit every negative stereotype but is attractive will have dozens of people saying its because of her "white features"

Its even weirder after living in Japan and seeing Japanese people with literally every stereotypical feature that people attribute to a single race on here. Theres a significant number of Japanese people that could easily pass as Mexican for instance.

I hope the Death Note adaptation follows soot and flops too.

Studios will learn you can't keep Whitewashing and Blackwashing Asian roles and get away with it

>Theres a significant number of Japanese people that could easily pass as Mexican for instance.

The same woman I just posted (Bison Kimura, a professional wrestler) is one of them. When she is not wearing typical Japanese-style make up.

>trusting hollywood to capture the essence of a foreign property

they dont understand the cultural elements and only wanted the IP

>gutted the Major's character

Eh, she acts pretty similar to how she does in Arise.

While the film is aesthetically close to 1995, in terms of themes it's more of a mashup of 2nd Gig and Arise.

I don't buy this.

Critics are hating the film because they have their nostalgia goggles on for 1995 and the whitewashing stuff.

That being said, I do find it bizarre how much critical acclaim Marvel shit gets while okay films like this that are legitimately better than Marvels output are just massively shit on.

>What went wrong?

Based on a franchise only anime fans and film buffs know about.

Massive negative controversy before the film.

Poor marketing campaign with mediocre trailers.

Critics being unfairly harsh on it in reviews smashing it right to the bottom of RT.

Holy shit, please kill yourself.

You're seriously crying about the ethnicity of A FUCKING CYBORG, who in the original film HAD BLUE EYES. You fucking racebaiting retarded fucks should whitewash your fucking insides with bleach and rid yourself of the HORRIBLE MEAN world you seem to believe surrounds you. I would bet money you're a white male between the ages of 17 and 24. Go spread your white guilt somewhere else faggot. No one here is sorry for being born.

There is not a single asian lead in the world worth putting on hollywood screen, unfuck your brain pls.
That japanese actress who've been stirring the shit about whitewashing can't even speak english.

>Eh, she acts pretty similar to how she does in Arise.
They just turned her into Robocop.