Twin Peaks Season 3

Can Lynch do it? Can he make it as good as the first two seasons were.

reminder Lynch hasn't done anything good in 16 years.

That just means he's been saving up.

Pilot will only feature the new characters and none of the returning. Screen cap this.

Lynch knows people were pissed with the opening of FWWM because of the boring Chris Isaacs first act and he likes to fuck with the fans so be prepared for his ways.

The thing is, Twin Peaks season 1 and 2 aren't actually that good. It's a sort of cinematic elephant in the room. Everyone who watches it thinks, "Wow, I can definitely see the appeal. I'm not sure it was quite as good as it was cracked up to be but maybe I just didn't get it so I wont say so" - and so the series maintains its esteem and acclaim. This is nothing new to the world of art film and art in general. The last act of Twin Peaks seems to have been deliberately designed to fuck with people enough to get them to question their understanding of the plot. The Log Lady introductions are similar. The series is rife with empty messages and insignificant signifiers which serve only to remind you that what you're watching is actually a surrealistic series and not just the soap-opera tier entertainment it so often seems to be on the surface level.

Lynch is for these reasons in a tight spot. He can't change the formula, or risk being accused of Lucasing himself. He also shouldn't bet that recreating the formula will be a safe choice critically, as without the carefully established cult acclaim, people may well realise Twin Peaks is nothing more than a soap-opera with some surrealism thrown in.

>Everyone who watches it thinks, "Wow, I can definitely see the appeal. I'm not sure it was quite as good as it was cracked up to be but maybe I just didn't get it so I wont say so"
jesus dude fuck off.

No. He will tarnish the legacy of what Twin Peaks was. Reboots/remakes are always a mistake.

How hard could it be to match the quality of one of the dullest franchises in the history of TV franchises. Seriously, each episode following the boy FBI agent and his pals from Twin Peaks Sheriff Department as they fight assorted villains has been indistinguishable from the others. Aside from the gloomy imagery, the series’ only consistency has been its lack of excitement and ineffective use of special effects, all to make magic unmagical, to make action seem inert.

Perhaps the die was cast when Lynch vetoed the idea of Spielberg directing an episode; he made sure the series would never be mistaken for a work of art that meant anything to anybody, just ridiculously profitable cross-promotion for his meditation. The Twin Peaks series might be anti-Christian (or not), but it’s certainly the anti-James Bond series in its refusal of wonder, beauty and excitement. No one wants to face that fact. Now, thankfully, they no longer have to.

>a-at least FWWM was good though
"No!"
The writing is dreadful; the script was terrible. As I read, I noticed that every time a character went for a fire walk with me, the author wrote instead that the character "had the fury of his own momentum".

I began marking on the back of an envelope every time that phrase was repeated. I stopped only after I had marked the envelope several dozen times. I was incredulous. Lynch's mind is so governed by cliches and dead metaphors that he has no other style of writing. Later I read a lavish, loving review of Twin Peaks by the same Chris Carter. He wrote something to the effect of, "If these kids are watching Twin Peaks at 11 or 12, then when they get older they will go on to watch X-Files." And he was quite right. He was not being ironic. When you watch "Twin Peaks" you are, in fact, trained to watch X-Files.

You tried, 4/10.

>mfw lynch literally did vetoe the idea of spielberg directing an episode

It'll be hard to be worse than most of S2 with Lynch directing it. If nothing else, Lynch will make it weird and interesting.

I already had my perfect sequel

>literally Redshit the tv show

>as good as the first two seasons were

>The writing is dreadful; the script was terrible. As I read, I noticed that every time a character went for a fire walk with me, the author wrote instead that the character "had the fury of his own momentum".

Season 2 was like 30 fucking episodes and 25 of them were mediocre to terrible, what the fuck are you talking about

As long as he keeps the goofy characters, it'll be worth it. The plot is nothing special, but you just like to see weirdoes like Lucy and Agent Cole.

>muh quirky characters that add nothing to the plot

I like the added on Chris Carter part - King had no relevance.

well, yeah. What good plot are you missing out on? Supernatural bullshit isn't satisfying. Actual grounded crime stories are nice, but it's not that.

>Lynch stated he never intended on revealing who the killer was
>the show was made for the story of the residents to be the focus
Twin Peaks isn't deep and the plot was always going nowhere.
Now go back to your Facebook group and post more James memes.

The whole thing suits Twin Peaks so much more, there literally isn't a single lie in that pasta

>the show was made for the story of the residents to be the focus

Except that's a lie, even now Laura Palmer is everywhere in the marketing, it will never not be about her. Nobody is watching Twin Peaks to see if 90 year old Nadine gets through the cheerleading try-outs

>Except that's a lie
"No"
>According to the director, the mystery of who killed Laura Palmer was initially going to be in the foreground, but would recede gradually as viewers got to know the other townsfolk and the problems they were having.

>andy's sperm subplot
>dick tremayne and orphan subplot
>james milf cuckold subplot
>ben horne civil war/pine weasel arc
>nadine highschool saga
>josie packard hong kong/not dead husband arc
>mayor's brother getting married plot
>windom earle shooting sam raimi's brother in a giant chess piece with a crossbow

I'm sure glad we got that engaging murder mystery shit out of the way

>>windom earle shooting sam raimi's brother in a giant chess piece with a crossbow

I continuously forget about windom earle whenever I rewatch the series, and it's been like 6 times

I don't understand what your point is, why are you even replying to me? I was just pointing out that Lynch always intended on the quirky characters to be the main aspect of the show, since the murder mystery was going to go nowhere.

Listing the quirky character subplots you don't like only adds to my point.

Except during S2 Lynch wasn't around to sign off on most of those things. They were the choices made by other directors.

Atleast as soon as Lynch came back to direct he just had BOB BTFO Windom like it was nothing

>Listing the quirky character subplots you don't like

kek no one liked them it's why the show got cancelled

Lynch wasn't around for much of season 2 so we were stuck with mediocre tv directors trying to be "lynchian" it was dire. As for what Lynch "always intended" that was clearly him trying to save face to justify where the series had gone. If Twin Peaks was always intended to be about the townspeople why did he immediately go off and make LAURA PALMER: THE MOVIE

>windom earle shooting sam raimi's brother in a giant chess piece with a crossbow
Yeah that's where Twin Peaks jumped the shark, it lost all of its appeal

And? How does that counter anything I've said? The goal was always to leave the murder mystery behind (which sounds really dumb, so maybe we should be glad he was forced to reveal the killer?) and focus on the residents. Would Lynch have made better subplots for the characters? Probably, but that doesn't change the fact that the draw of the series was meant to be the characters.

Not to mention Lynch must've known what was going on with his show, considering he still came back as an actor.

What's just fantastic about the fans of this show is that they bitch and moan about what could've been - especially Audrey and Coop. "Fuck LFB - she made Agent Cooper be with Annie," as if Cooper being with Audrey would have made much difference.

>lynch wanted the dumb subplots (he didn't)
>listing all the things lynch didn't want proves my point

kys

>Diane, you have just got see this town, the sound of wind in the trees, the scent of warm pie and there's not a nigger in sight

fucking hell I didn't care for that Raimi directed episode

>kek no one liked them it's why the show got cancelled
That doe snot counter my point at all - can you all just please fuck off back to your Facebook group.

>why did he immediately go off and make LAURA PALMER: THE MOVIE
SHe went off and made it with the hopes of making 3 films to salvage his TV show. The film originally had many more characters from the TV show and a similar atmosphere, and he did the prequel stuff to add onto the mythology - such as the blue rose cases.

The civil war/pine weasel arc was pure kino though

I wouldn't have particularly liked Coop ending up with Audrey. I think him being her teenage unrequited crush worked far better. But Annie was a shoehorned, dull, uninteresting character clearly added at the last minute.

>you'll never be in a love triangle between Shelly and Bobby

Also, Norma looks spectacular in the new photos, she's like 80 now and still looks great

Peggy Lipton is amazing. She's showing women thirty years younger how to age, apart from Madchen who looks great too. Diner scenes are going to be comfy and not remind you that everyone looks old and shitty now.

absolutely!

I finally started watching Twin Peaks last year to see the fuss. I'm 5 episodes into the second season and sometimes I feel like I'm the only one that feels (felt?) extremely disappointed with Twin Peaks. Of course there are a few good moments in general, like the excellent cinematography and awesome characters such Cooper, Andy, Lucy, Shelly, and especially Audrey.

But overall, I came in expecting something a bit more...Lynchian! I Save for a few special moments ("Sometimes my arms bend backwards", the giant), there's almost very little of that trademark Lynchian surreality that's in the show other than in the pilot and a couple of other episodes.

I feel most of the episodes simply wank around, waiting for something to happen, taking their sweet old time doing it, rather than putting any focus on one thing...and as I said before, a lack of true Lynch in a supposedly Lynch TV show.

I'll probably quit watching after the murderer is revealed because I've heard all about how awful the show gets after that...sad, but at least I gave it a shot and I finally get to know a little bit on what everybody's talking about on here!

You need to watch the last few episodes. The last half an hour or so is absolute balls out Lynch insanity.

she looks 70 years old, which I suppose ain't too bad for 80 years

>That warm smile

I don't even care how old she looks, she'll always be beautiful. Shelly was best girl for me but Norma always exuded loveliness.

I think she looks great for 70
Like 50 or something, i was really shocked

>Dale walks around a red hallway for 20 minutes straight

>DUDE WTF HOW DOES LYNCH DO IT BALLS OUT INSANITY

it's pretty shit and anticlimactic desu

Everything with Ben is pure kino. Glad he's returning.

It's not Season 3.

I hope he saved enough on normal camera.

>you will never be a whole damn town

oh you

Well memed user!

Yes it is

They can call it a reboot all they want to try draw in normies, but it's still season 3

He has though

They're calling it a reboot? What the fug.

He didn't do it for the first two seasons or the movie. I don't see why he should do it for the third season.

yeah that's a HUGE fear of mine

well the show will desperate need new blood, no wants to see old people longer than once

This.

>He hasn't seen late-period Lynch shorts
>He doesn't like Inland Empire

Just kys already, tastelet.

If you have any doubts it will be jino watch Lynch's interviews with the cast. It's fantastic.

>James went to Mexico and became a drug addict

>Pete gets blown to bits
>Catherine is just fine