Why did this TV drama win the Palme d'Or?

Why did this TV drama win the Palme d'Or?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=LlTUEfnAOtU
twitter.com/AnonBabble

because it was prime tvkino bruh. haven't you been checking the subreddit?

Because in the current zeitgeist, no one is supposed to take any responsibility for themselves or their own problems.

good thing we have a reddit expert on hand. How much time do you spend there again?

>it's another "poor people should just get rich" kid raised in middle-class American suburbia

What was he spending all his money on? keep in mind a lot of his bills were subsidized and he had no children.

With the work he did, he probably never made that much money in the first place. If he spent his money on the luxuries he could afford and wasn't financially sound, would that morally disqualify him from receiving benefits? All that really matters is that he's broke, will die poor if he doesn't receive benefits, and that in real life, people live below the poverty line out of circumstance.

a carpenter with his level of experience makes about 40,000 pounds a year. he lived in a one bedroom council house which are like 500 a month. he didn't have a car. he didn't have children.

what did he spend all his money on?

Cider, fags and Sky probably.

Maybe his wife was sick and he had to pay her bills, not to mention both their general expenses alone. Maybe he made less money than your average carpenter. It doesn't really matter. It just matters that real life isn't Ayn Rand's wet dream of "everyone who is poor must deserve it".

Not the point. Why were the state making him jump through unnecessary hoops and searching for jobs despite him just having a heart attack and his doctor saying he can't work?

Because the system is shitty, and the employees were following the shitty rules.

She died of a heart attack IIRC

>British
>cinema
Choose one and only one.

>Why were the state making him jump through unnecessar
Bureaucracy is a deterrent for fraud.

I'll choose two thanks. Check out this obscure guy called David Lean. He's pretty good.

because muh Tory cuts, we need more money fo dem bennies, vote Labour

*yawn*
only great British filmmaker is Hitchcock and he made most of his great films in Hollywood

Try a director who was alive when color TVs were common in households.

This, I don't know about americas but many european countries have completely fucked up unemployment systems.

For example, I got called to an unemployment office where they said I needed to go into a course to prove i'm active. I went to course and there were all kinds of non-related unemployed people there, nerds who just finished high school, 50 year old construction workers, gypsies, single mothers, etc

For a month we played little games to get to know each other and then we started practicing how to make a job application and how to use email. That was basically the whole course.

I then got a small-time job offer but the lady from unemployment office told me that I shouldn't go to that job because I might lose my unemployment benefits, so I didn't go there and now I'm high while wanking my dick, just got my welfare too, immediately spent 150 euros on weed

Fraud takes up such an insignificant proportion of total claimants that it doesn't really make sense, either morally or financially. The amount you'd save from deterring fraudulent claims is dwarfed by the amount you spend enforcing these rules and outsourcing to private companies to run useless 'how to write a CV' courses.

>to run useless 'how to write a CV' courses.
As demonstrated in the movie, many of these people on bennies actually need those courses. Daniel Blake couldn't even work a computer mouse.

Exactly, and it should change. This is what happens when the Daily Mail and Sun harp on about benefit cheats and how being on benefits is literally the worst scum of the earth thing a human being can do, apart from being a refugee.

>refugee

By the time they get to the UK, they are an economic migrant, not a fucking refugee. They passed through at least 10 other safe countries to get there. They don't belong.

Also, the current welfare state is beyond unsustainable. It will either have to be cut or it will collapse entirely and we'll end up with nothing.

youtube.com/watch?v=LlTUEfnAOtU

becuse shitty flicks win awards at cannes

Refugees are a net loss on the economy.

But but they told me that many refugees are either rich or scientific geniuses...

You've been had.

Because it was pathos fueled tripe geared towards a trending subject, British disenfranchisement, by an acclaimed director. Such a shame that historically this will be viewed as being on par with The Wind That Shakes the Barley or Kes when it's a far cry from those in quality.