Fantasy movies

>go all out on the gorgeous cinematography
>go all out on the fantastic soundtrack
>perfect dialogue
>perfect and simple storyline
>go cheap on the actors and actresses

What a crying shame. It's almost a perfect movie.

Are there any other must see fantasy movies?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=f7h7frRoAPk
gutenberg.org/ebooks/author/36031
gutenberg.net.au/ebooks13/1303751h.html
librivox.org/author/937?primary_key=937&search_category=author&search_page=1&search_form=get_results
justmeasurements.com/arnold-schwarzenegger-height-weight-net-worth-eye-color-hair-color
aceshowbiz.com/celebrity/arnold_schwarzenegger/profile.html
pkbaseline.com/arnold-schwarzenegger/height-weight
looklive.com/people/arnold-schwarzenegger/about/
fictionadvocate.com/2015/07/29/the-boomstick-film-club-conan-the-barbarian/
io9.gizmodo.com/everything-you-never-knew-about-the-making-of-conan-the-1686337892
celebrityworkoutdiets.com/jason-momoa-workout-and-diet-for-conan/
collider.com/jason-momoa-interview-conan-the-barbarian/
moviefone.com/2011/08/12/conan-the-barbarian-tale-of-the-tape-schwarzenegger-vs-momoa/
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/April#Month-long_observances
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arab_Americans#Arab_American_Heritage_Month
youtube.com/watch?v=vDvuBY97cD4
tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Film/ConanTheBarbarian1982
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

bump

Beastmaster.

youtube.com/watch?v=f7h7frRoAPk

rip Kodo

Hundra, Willow and Deathstalker.

I much prefer the style of acting in this movie than LOTR's. Arnold may be a shit actor by theater standards but his physique carries the thematic depth of the story and his goofy reactions make Conan look like a stupid overgrown child (which he is), the theology conversation with Subotai is pure gold.

I would recommend the 13th Warrior which is based on the tale of Beowulf, it's done without fantasy elements (replacing them with rational interpretations ie the dragon becomes a small army carrying torches, etc) but still feels mythological and suggestive.

Jean Cocteau, Derek Jarman and John Boorman are the great film fantasists that I know of. But be warned, Cocteau and Jarman are pretty much the polar opposite of what you got from Conan. Both were incredible artists though.

His physique definitely does some of the acting for him. That is a fair observation.

Why does everyone like LOTR so much. It's dull repetitive crap.

How is he a stupid overgrown child? I thought he was taken to be educated?

He did nothing but turn a wheel and get whipped for at least a decade, whatever intellectual development and education he received after that is still limited

Arnold was perfect for the role and no one else could have done it. It was an excellent film

You must see the sequel to Conan: The Barbarian, Conan: The Destroyer and you must see Lord of the Rings. There's also the Conan movie that came out a couple of years ago that stars the guy from Stargate: Atlantis and is now the new King of Atlantis in the DC cinematic universe and the antagonist in that movie is the guy who played the villains in Avatar and Don't Breathe, they're both quite popular.

There are differences between the source material and the movie. In the films, Conan's village comes under attack and he is captured and forced to do hard labor for years. In the pulp fiction stories, he goes trekking around the world, almost like a knight's errant or something (I just checked with google and it's knight-errant), he learns some languages but doesn't become an expert in those languages, he is constantly fighting in mercenary bands, armies, or part of a pirate's crew, or he is a thief. He is also the son of a blacksmith if you've read Hour of the Dragon, he's been the king Aquilonia, he served in some country that worships goddesses like Isis (not to be confused with the death cult that's operating in the Middle East) or gods like Mithra/Mitra.

I think you can find the collection of Conan stories online, like all in one text file. That's how I read about Conan the Barbarian. The Project Gutenberg site now hosts many of the pulp fiction stories.

Okay, I just checked with google. Here's the Project Gutenberg site with the stories: gutenberg.org/ebooks/author/36031

Here's Project Gutenberg Australia and you can read the stories online: gutenberg.net.au/ebooks13/1303751h.html

I think Librivox also has audio recordings of the Conan the Barbarian stories, let me check. Here you go: librivox.org/author/937?primary_key=937&search_category=author&search_page=1&search_form=get_results

Only fellowship is fantastic and feels like an adventure film with characters coming together to work towards a goal.

The rest is utter trash and no different than from you average run of the mill Marvel capeshit with ACTION ACTION ACTION BOOOM FIGHTS AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA REEEEEEEEEEEEE HURRRR DURRR
It's 6 hours of shit blowing up.

Yea book connan reads poetry for pleasure

Conan is incredibly intelligent, just uneducated

Bump.

13th Warrior was based on Michael Crichton's novel Eaters of the Dead. Not sure if that was based on Beowulf tho, i haven't read that.

Fire & Ice (not the GOT shit)
Dragon Slayer
Excalibur
Krull

Pro-tip: fire and ice isn't a book

I know, I meant the Balshki & Frazetta film

this thread need more art design

Nvm that looks awesome.

I agree with recommending The 13th Warrior since it's pretty cool and has some fine action sequences that doesn't seem to rely on wires or too much cgi. The music of The 13th Warrior is also pretty cool.

I would also recommend the Beowulf movie, which is computer generated like Final Fantasy: The Spirits Within. It's got some fine action sequences and a some good music. That Beowulf chant is pretty cool.

I don't really agree with Conan being a stupid overgrown child, just read the pulp fiction stories the films are based on. (I also typed this out earlier: .) Conan may do a lot of fighting, but he has traveled through the lands of Hyboria or the Hyborian age, gathering experiences and some knowledge of the peoples and even the languages although he never becomes an expert in those languages. My knowledge of the Conan the Barbarian mythos may be dimmed a little, since I read the pulp fiction stories a couple of years ago and maybe I should give it another go at reading them again, sometime later.

Also another thing I would like to point out is that even though Conan did eventually become King of Aquilonia, he was the barbarian son of a blacksmith and grew up in warfare. His homeland of Cimmeria and his people, who were descendants of the people of Atlantis, probably didn't have an education system like we do today or like the rich people of the medieval or ancient worlds probably had. So maybe if he was born into nobility or royalty or the upper class of a city, he might have had a great education.

I agree that Schwarzenegger was good in the role, but I thought Momoa was also good in the role. But the thing is, Conan the Barbarian is suppose to have blue eyes, or like wikipedia says: "volcanic blue eyes." Both Schwarzenegger and Momoa have brown eyes.

I'll continue in another post.

>Are there any other must see fantasy movies?

The Sword and the Sorcerer
Flesh and Blood (not technically a fantasy movie, but it's a great medieval one)

And all these:

Wait, I've been checking online. Some sources say that Schwarzenegger has blue eyes, others say that he has brown or hazel eyes.

(This website says he has blue eyes.) justmeasurements.com/arnold-schwarzenegger-height-weight-net-worth-eye-color-hair-color

(Brown eyes.) aceshowbiz.com/celebrity/arnold_schwarzenegger/profile.html

(Brown eyes.) pkbaseline.com/arnold-schwarzenegger/height-weight

(Hazel eyes.) looklive.com/people/arnold-schwarzenegger/about/

Here are some links to pictures of Schwarzenegger as Conan:

fictionadvocate.com/2015/07/29/the-boomstick-film-club-conan-the-barbarian/

io9.gizmodo.com/everything-you-never-knew-about-the-making-of-conan-the-1686337892

Check out the pictures here, it seems that Schwarzenegger/Conan has brown eyes.

Here are some links of Momoa as Conan:

celebrityworkoutdiets.com/jason-momoa-workout-and-diet-for-conan/

collider.com/jason-momoa-interview-conan-the-barbarian/

This one has a side by side comparison of Schwarzenegger and Momoa as Conan, both seem to have brown eyes:

moviefone.com/2011/08/12/conan-the-barbarian-tale-of-the-tape-schwarzenegger-vs-momoa/

Got to continue in another post.

I think Eaters of the Dead is based on the poem of Beowulf and I think that Crichton had to step in and direct some of The 13th Warrior. I haven't read Beowulf either. Although some of the poem might be in this Norton's anthology book of English or British poetry that I have.

I've seen some people on Sup Forums criticizing Gadot (the new Wonder Woman) for having brown instead of blue eyes. I don't ever remember hearing anyone whining about Schwarzenegger and Momoa both having brown eyes and playing a blue eyed, swarthy or brown-skinned Conan the Barbarian. Well wikipedia says Conan's skin is bronze through constant exposure to the sun. But I still think that Momoa fits the role perfectly just as much as Schwarzenegger. Anyway, Momoa and Gadot are both working on the new Justice League movie. No one seems to be complaining about Momoa as Aquaman as much as they are complaining about Gadot as Wonder Woman. The guys on Sup Forums are probably just sexist.

Oh yeah, I think a Conan film with both Momoa and Schwarzenegger might work since Momoa could play a younger Conan and then the film could flash forward with Schwarzenegger playing the older Conan who has become King of Aquilonia, just a thought.

I second this user's recommendation and would advise you to check out the audiobooks on librivox.
They're pretty comfy and highly entertaining.

Yeah, I've already got a lot of stuff to listen to and I've also got to search for podcasts on Arab-Americans since it's Arab-American culture and history month.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/April#Month-long_observances

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arab_Americans#Arab_American_Heritage_Month

Also there is this on /d/: . The thread on /d/eviant audio erotica. I'm also checking that stuff out.

Eventually, I'll get around to the Librivox recordings of the pulp fiction of Conan the Barbarian.

>Says something
>Then lets us know he checked with google and this is what it really is
You know you can just delete the part you wrote, you don't have to let us know you are checking google and then correcting yourself.

Sorry, I didn't want to make myself seem fake or pretentious or really stupid. Although saying that I was checking with google really does make me stupid. But hey, I'm just paranoid.

He's new, let him learn.

Are you seriously saying Arnold was a detriment to Conan the barbarian? He carried that long winded movie all by himself.

arnie has blue eyes fucko

Letting us know you were checking with google makes you seem stupid.

It's like people who, uh, write, uh like this... uh, you know?

>What a crying shame. It's almost a perfect movie.

>implying it isn't a perfect movie.

youtube.com/watch?v=vDvuBY97cD4

Nothing more badass than a sword that shoots swords.

Shit, whatever. But like... still, people who are complaining about Gadot... like, uh being Wonder Woman and using the whole blue eyes versus brown eyes argument... like that's not cool.

Anyway, I was checking with tvtropes because... like they're the experts and everything and like... ummmm Schwarzenegger's Conan has brown instead of black hair.

tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Film/ConanTheBarbarian1982

Momoa's has got like... black hair, but no, he like... doesn't have like... blue eyes.

So... ummm, whatever. Maybe in the next film they can... ummm fix all of that stuff. Schwarzenegger needs like... uhhh black hair and Momoa needs like... blue eyes. So like the people... who are like working on the Conan films, they like have to like fix all of that.