The legends were true

the legends were true
it is kino

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/yVmtG9_55F0
youtube.com/watch?v=5ds054OF7hY
youtube.com/watch?v=Bcg5rN-jlaw
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Prince of Egypt? If so, yeah it's got some beautiful animation.

YOU WHO I CALLED BROTHER

Easily the best animated musical of all time.

Had you not seen it until recently? It's one of my personal favorites, not just in animation, but films in general. Passion is the only other Biblical epic of quality that was made after it.

Elohim, God on high!

Can you hear your people cry?

I know it's a bible story, but it gets a little too preachy for me after God speaks through the burning bush.

Everything up to that is literally the best animated movie of all time.

I preferred El Dorado.

That's sick.

It's pretty crazy that this movie was made at all, by an animation studio that's mantra may as well be, "How do you, fellow kids?" no less. A Bible movie made for a mass audience that doesn't downplay the religious aspects, without polarizing people who don't follow anything Abrahamic. An animated musical that takes the story just as seriously as it would if it were neither animated nor a musical. It puts everything from the Disney renaissance to shame.

>gets a little too preachy
Jesus christ, it's a god damn Bible story

>without polarizing people who don't follow anything Abrahamic.
How would they offend anyone? The story of Moses is pretty much the same in Islam outside of a few superficial differences

I liked Noah

WITH THE STING OF THE WHIP ON MY SHOULDER
WITH THE SALT OF MY SWEAT ON MY BROWN
ELOHIM GOD ON HIGH
CAN'T YOU HEAR YOUR PEOPLE CRY?

One of my biggest issues with Scott's version was that it felt too skeptical/agnostic
Earnestness/Seriousness can make things way better in terms of story

It's one of my biggest issues with big blockbuster movies nowadays being postmodern and sarcastic about the scenes, it removes any sort of stakes or gravity

>t.

Sorry that is not me

I can't care about a story that's supposed to have gravitas/importance if the character turns to the screen winking and going "Gee willickers,audience! Isn't this ridiculous?"

>tfw hunchback was almost as kino as this
>fucking gargoyles

so fucking frustrating

>It's one of my biggest issues with big blockbuster movies nowadays being postmodern and sarcastic about the scenes, it removes any sort of stakes or gravity
yes so much this

Why is it so good???

Deus vult

I have such a massive boner for this movie. I used to watch it once a week.

youtu.be/yVmtG9_55F0
>I am a sovereign prince of egypt, a son of the proud history that's shown , etched on every wall

BY THE POWER OF RAH

NOOT

NOOT

NOOT

>oh man I should rewatch Hunchback it was great!
>remember gargoyles
>oh man I should rewatch Treasure Planet it was fun!
>remember the pink blob and retarded robot

This is the story of revisiting pretty much every animated movie. At least the Lion King handled the comedic sidekicks pretty well. But then that's probably just because Rosencrantz and Guildenstern have a history of being used in a comedic way.

you wot mate, the movie even has the balls to keep the killing of all first sons despite being the most controversial part of the story.

man...I'd love to get some genuine stuff back on the big screen. Imagine seeing a Robin Hood movie that wasn't Ridley Scott-ified, just the classic green tunic and some good heartfelt adventure feel to it.

Are you making a Pingu joke or do you actually believe those are the lyrics?

Men In Tights is still the best modern Robin Hood.

The Jesus actor in passion was struck by lightning lmao

>Stubborn leader won't let the jews go
> Instead of just removing him or cursing just himI'll kill all the firstborn sons, that will show him!
what did God mean by this?

Islam is Abrahamic.

This was made by HG Wells grandson.

He also did Balto and Mars Needs Moms!

It's worse than that actually. In the story, Ramses would have been persuaded much earlier but God "hardened his heart" so he would be even more stubborn and force God to show off his wonders.

I just watched this for the first time in Monday and it's dank af
Was hoping to see some discussion on here and immediately saw this thread.
Perhaps God is speaking through Sup Forums

I'm no bible scholar, but to me it seems obvious that it was retaliation for what the Pharaoh did to the Jewish children of Moses' generation(the reason why Moses ended up in the river), just as the plagues were giant "Fuck You"'s to the various Egyptian Gods.

Because the Jewish God is a vindictive guy, even to his own chosen people.

THIS is how you do good religious media. You don't try to clean it up or shoehorn in a modern version of your message.
There's also the simple technical quality of the music, animation, and voice acting but that goes without saying.

In general, every Bible story runs into the problem that you can more or less blame all the suffering on God.

Makes sense, the gods of a people are reflections of themselves after all.

No you're just late as fuck and probably haven't noticed all the other recurring threads about this movie because you hadn't seen it.

There's about a 50/50 chance of them being good or being full shitposting so they're made pretty often.

I'll have to intervene here and note that that line should not be taken literally; in the original Hebrew it's a phrase that just means that he turned stubborn, just like 40 days and nights meant a long time.

It's a little late for that, the majority of bibles are edited to what other people wanted, which were then edited further, and so on for dozens of years

Of course a group like the Jews will have a God that doesn't really help people but rather punish, because with their history none of them could believe that there was a kind and loving God looking out for them.

Just going off my childhood memory.

>tfw I had that list of egyptian gods memorized for a stage play once

Can't even remember half of them anymore. I remember Noot, Moot, Ptah, something something Sorbek, Nekmet. Can't remember anything past those 5 though.

They're actually invoking all the Gods, starting out with Mut and Nut.

It makes the song a whole lot better when you consider how they had to work them into the song.

Still the most Disney-lite and worst song in the movie, though.

>I know it's a bible story, but

>it gets a little too preachy for me after God speaks through the burning bush.

Well no shit, heathen.

if it were made today, it would be whitewashed

What is it with Hollywood and blowing up the proportions of ancient monuments to make them look like skyscrapers?

Because they're supposed to be imposing and/or grand. To make them more imposing/grand you make them tower over the humans, making the humans seem small and insignificant next to their greatness. They're not making a documentary, they're making a movie meant to invoke feelings and ideas in you from what you're seeing on the screen.

That concludes this episode of Movies For Newfags. Make sure to check back next week!

God hardened his heart, but it wasn't so that he could show off his power as much as it was so that he would ensure the Pharoah (and Egyptians) couldn't get out of having justice delivered upon them by just letting the Hebrews leave.

The whole point of the Exodus story is rooted in divine justice (which you could extend into karmic justice or inevitable justice or some other kind of justice that's greater than man if you needed to), and this was written during a time where "Eye for an eye" justice was considered the most fair (and was even backed by God as his preferred method of justice in the Book of Exodus). Hence why so many of the punishments were either literally (killing the firstborn) or metaphorically (darkness) "eye for an eye" punishments themselves.

Nah this is dumb. Just reminds me the Jews always distort history.

Just show them at their normal scale, it's impressive enough as is. I don't need to see shit so comically large that it's obviously outside the engineering skills of ancient peoples.

Autists like you should just stick to watching youtube videos with fellow autists pointing out factual incorrections in Hollywood instead of actually watching movies.

I have time for both

youtube.com/watch?v=5ds054OF7hY

presumably because of the age we live, with actual skyscrapers, anything less would look puny or unimposing. Were as for the characters the setting, these structures WOULD look incredibly impressive. Some films go for historical accuracy, but if you want the audience to know that this building is enormous for its time, you can have it smaller then the local bank.

>Plagues were specifically targetting Egyptian deities

>Hapi, the god of the Nile, the river Egypt depended on for survival. God turns the water to blood, subverting it's life-giving properties, killing the fish within, and making it unsuitable for drinking for a week.

>Heket, goddess of fertility, with the head of a frog. God made frogs fucking everywhere, and being an incredible nuisance. No amount of prayer or begging to Heket makes the frogs leave until Moses tells the frogs to fuck off.

>Geb, god of the dust and the earth, allows crops to grow. God turns the dust to lice. All of it. Lice fucking everywhere holy shit.

>Khepri, god of creation and rebirth. Head of a fly. God unleashes a swarm of flies that attack only the Egyptians, leaving God's people unharmed.

>Hathor, goddess of love and protection, the head of a cow. God just straight up kills all the cows and other livestock with pestilence and diseases.

>Isis, goddess of medicine and peace. God causes ashes to scatter all over Egypt, causing boils and sores on anything they land on, his people not included. Most of Pharoah's people are unable to even stand with how sick and in pain they are.

>Nut, goddess of the sky and stars. God causes massive flaming hailstones to rain on Egypt.

>Swarms of locusts destroying every crop still intact after the meteor shower. Forget if this was aimed at any Egyptian deity specifically.

>Ra, god of the Sun. God blacks out the sun for 3 days, making all of Egypt pitch black.

The Bible is 2deep4me

I thought the opposite actually, this is one of the only bible stories that doesn't preach in the slightest. It talks about heaven and god and that's it, it also covers all the major events of exodus. This film is a masterpiece

G-d is such an asshole

>Remember that scene where God cast down fire from the sky to destroy the slightly-bigger-than-man-sized statues of the Gods and Pharaoh, thus signifying him being stronger than their Gods and God-king? Man that was so cinematic and not at all anticlimactic!

This is an interesting interpretation, and I remember reading somewhere that the darkening of Egypt was God battling Ra and slaying him, thus blackening the sun. I think that's in Gnostic theology, I'm not really sure.

God's either a woman or a complete dickhead
>yo Abraham kill your son pls
>w..wwhat?
>do it faggot
>o..ok god
>jk
>I just wanted to know that you would if I asked

This, and godlike music.
youtube.com/watch?v=Bcg5rN-jlaw

>then presents a ram, his horns caught in a thicket of thorns, as a substitute

Gee, I wonder what THAT means. Wow, how unfair of on HIs part!

>but you're all-seeing? You must have known I would listen to you without giving me such a cruel test!
>idk mate, free will reverses the flow of the tachyons and impair my sight or something.

I don't think that was the point of the Abraham story but sure ok. When God tests faith I don't believe it's to show himself the loyalty of his followers (as he already knows if they are or are not or will or will not be loyal), but to prove it to someone else, like the Devil in the book of Job.

Mostly depends if you believe Ra actually existed or not, either way could work: God slaying Ra and proving he's supreme above all Egyptian gods, or God just showing that false gods have literally nothing on him.

Like when Elijah spent a day trolling idol worshipers by telling them to ask their idol to burn a sacrificial bull himself, laughing harder and harder as they got more desperate. Then he soaks all of his own wood and sacrifice in water, then asks God to burn it, and the whole thing just bursts into flames.

Yeah Old Testament god is a huge cunt

I'm not sure why people bought into it. Seems like a pretty obvious ploy to get people to act a certain way. Getting buttfucked into eternity is not something to gamble with.

Which only further proves my theory that God is either a woman or a dickhead. To be fair tho, most gods are dickheads

Why can recent nothing compare to this

wow it's like you have a complete lack of biblical knowledge to not understand the meaning behind it

I didn't know jack shit about Egyptian mythology until I watched gods of Egypt and it got me interested in reading up on things. Rah battling that giant cosmic snake monster every single night is metal as fuck

are you kidding? Christian films do bank at the BO and have a pretty reliable fanbase.

Oh definetly. Don't believe in non-christian mythology myself, but damn a lot of it is really interesting. Have a book of Hindu myths from my Mythology class in college that I still go through every once in a while.

I have no issue with religion, but the story of Abraham cannot possibly mean anything beyond god being a petty fuck head. No amount of mental gymnastics can give a legit/compassionate reason for him doing that to abe

Yeah it was good.

The first sons being killed is what traumatized me as a child.

Heh.

>Don't believe in non-christian mythology myself

*tips menorah*

I have the same attitude, you dont need to believe spiderman exists in order to enjoy stories about him

He does reward people immensely for the trials he sets upon them, trials which by the way are never meaningless, so to me that kind of rips into your theory a little bit. It's not like he goes around torturing good people for no reason and then leaves them with their misery or anything.

Not that I am saying you are one of these people at all, but a lot of the loudest people who exclaim how horrible God is in the Old Testament have a surface level understanding of the Bible at best, if they've even read it at all.

they were killed because they were uncircumcised.

>first sons being killed

Shit, knew I was forgetting something in my write-up

>The last plague in part was targeting Pharaoh. The greatest of all in Egypt, was considered a God-King who directly descended from Ra himself. The plague kills the firstborn of every house in Egypt who doesn't make an active act of worship to God. God simply slays Pharaoh's son, ending his God-King lineage, and there was literally nothing Pharaoh or his false gods could have done to stop it.

The key here would be "to me". Because his trials seem completely unnecessary to me. In my eyes an all loving god would simply be content with his children living happy lives, and wouldnt care to prove that he exists. A petty god would care, and want to be worshipped. But that's just my opinion

>God promises Abraham that him and his wife that the messiah will come from their ancestors
>only problem is that they have no kids, have never been able to conceive, and they are really fucking old now
>God promises Abraham that he will have one son and only one son
>eventually his wife actually has a child
>then God asks Abraham to sacrifice his son to him
>catch22.webm
>if they will only ever have one son and he is dead then the promise of the messiah cannot be filled
>only way for all promises to be kept is for God to raise his son from the dead
>Abraham must have such faith in the Gospel that he trusts God will raise his son from the dead if he dies
>goes through with it
>God sees in his heart the his decision and stops him so he doesn't even need to go through with it

Even if you didn't see this you really should have been able to see the symbolism of God asking Abraham to sacrifice his ONE AND ONLY SON as he did. I mean come on, go to church faggot.

The point is that God is the source of goodness, there can be no goodness with out Him, and no one can create goodness but HIm. People make mistakes and fool themselves into thinking otherwise. To say, well let the forever chase after something without realizing its actual source, is horribly neglectful, and setting your creations up for failure.

like i said before, people always forget the part in the story were God presents Abraham, as a substitute for his own son, a sacrificial LAMB with its head caught in THORNS

personally I think people see the hardships as trials from God when in reality this world just sucks ass. The idea that he is purposely making things difficult doesn't make sense to me

>jewish propaganda
>kino

The wages of sin is death, nigga.

>will come from their ancestors
>only problem is that they have no kids

I don't see the problem.

yep that too, just felt I needed to lay it out more simply for them

oops means descendants

>there can be no good without God
That's the kinda stuff that really starts to bother me about religion. Seems like a very convenient crutch to fall back on. That statement bothers me not because I dislike religion itself, but because it opens up the possibility of corruption.

There can be no good without X
There can be no good without Y etc

Humans tend to rely on faith as a motivator, everyone has faith in something and that faith can be easily controlled with statements like that. I also dislike the notion that I did a good deed because God exists, even if I don't pray or follow that certain faith. And then what happens when someone from a different religion does a good deed? Who's god made that happen?

I can't believ that's leaving out the most Kino shot in the whole movie
>Pharaoh speaking to Moses as his and his father's statues are in the background
>Pharaoh's statue is taller than his father to embellish himself
>Pharaoh is shorter than his father's statue to show that he will never live up to his father's name

what a fucking great animated film

We're hitting kino levels that shouldn't even be possible!

There is only one God but even those outside the Church can do good in the Lord's name.

CS Lewis explicitly wrote about this in the Narnia books. A man who followed a false religion is greatly troubled by the idea that all his good works in the name of his god were wrong. That he had wasted his life following a lie and serving a false God.

God then responds to him that any good deed he did he accepted as in his name, and any sin was done in the name of the false God.

That man went on to get into heaven.

Again, the sacrafice part serves no point at all. Why even make that a thing?

>only way for all promises to be kept is for god to raise his son from the dead
Or just not kill him to begin with?

Don't forget that pharaoh was going to let them go until god literally came in and hardened his heart so he could have an excuse to murder people.

Hail Satan?

Well the important thing to udnerstand about pre-bible abrahamic religion is simply that a lot of it was transmitted orally from educated clergy to other educated clergy who only occasionally told these stoires to other people. The "religion" was mostly the laws and various ceremonies.

Like there wasn't an actual bible back then that people read and decide to trust or not. People were just told biblical stories by rabbis and accepted them based on whether or not they liked the rabbi and/or found the moral of the story relevant to their lives or not.

He was waiting for Abraham to make a choice. The whole thing wasn't for God's sake but for Abraham.

haven't seen this since i was a little kid, they got it on netflix, just started it up , ty guys