Isn't it weird that there aren't a lot of horror movies focusing on the deep/unknown depths of the ocean...

Isn't it weird that there aren't a lot of horror movies focusing on the deep/unknown depths of the ocean.I'm not talking about movies like "Jaws".I'm talking big,mythical,terrifying fuckers.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=IIQVAShJzLo
youtube.com/watch?v=A6HXh-YXxRk
youtube.com/watch?v=JZeUBmIUv_8
twitter.com/AnonBabble

>I'm talking big,mythical,terrifying fuckers.
What do you mean?

Because who wants to shoot a film underwater?

The goyim know, shut it down!

this basically. the trick used in Leviathan gets the job done though

Aquaman was confirmed to have exactly that dipshit. in fact the concept art art at that recent convention showed some crazy ocean shit

I too would like some type of lovecraft in ocean. That would be pretty terrifying.

How so?

Weird that there aren't a lot of horror movies focusing on any big mythical terrifying fuckers on land either.
Maybe someday lovecraftian stuff will be trendy

troll hunter?

Yeah,that movie hit the spot.Haven't seen anything like it since,though..

name me at least 1 (ONE) mythical sea creature worth of a horror movie

Kraken
Scary rapey mermaids

The ocean is pretty scary on its own.
Also,it would be a fresh idea.Can't wait to watch something like this after the third "It" remake.

Does Pacific Rim count?

You guys have all seen The Abyss: Special Edition, right? (The theatrical cut is a butchered mess. Watch Special Edition)

because the solution is easy as fuck : get out of the water
how lame is that

I don't fucking know.You're on land and the thing comes for you,then...

Cos we know what's in the ocean and it's pretty boring

Someday maybe i'll edit out all the alien bullshit and make it look like they're going insane underwater. Fade to black on the deep dive, the end.

the question is more like why hasn't it EVER been done before. we don't have to wait for a shitty movie made by an even shittier studio. 1/10 made me reply. no one can be this stupid

SOMA adaptation when?

the bay had a good creepy underwater creature vibe to it

>Cos we know what's in the ocean and it's pretty boring
you sure?

Europa Report is probably the closest thing I can think of

>concept art is representative of the finished product

Oh, sweet user...

>concept art
means shit. they'll always change it for budgetary reasons or simply because they can't do it

I'm finding it hard to come up with any kind of plot that hasn't been done before like The Abyss.

You're dealing with really boring scenery since the deep ocean is literally dark. A really predictable villain like a deep sea monster.
What would be the plot device that even puts a group of people there to begin with? Submarine? Sea lab? Not exactly fresh. It's be hard to do a movie like that correctly.

I'd cream

That movie really bothered me. Are they magical or not? Them turning into stone is a completely natural phenomena explained with science but somehow they can still smell the blood of a christian? Make up your mind.

didn't Godzilla come from the sea

James Cameron

The number of potential stories are very limited because humans rarely go deep into the ocean. Every story would be limited to following a submarine or a group of explorers and that would get old fast. The type of creatures that can live in such a high pressure environments like the bottom of the ocean would die if they came close to the surface so the potential for any monster and human interaction would be small.

Would probably be pretty boring to watch seeing as your giant creature would likely live in the dark depths where fuck all light can penetrate.

>we will never get a Byford Dolphin movie

obviously somewhat magical.

yeah man just like the amount of space stories is very limited

oh wait that's wrong lol

When creating a story, there are more reasons to go to space then there are to go deep underwater. We can go to space for exploration, colonization, saving the earth from a dying sun, invasion from aliens, and so on. The possibilities for a story in space are endless. When it comes to going to the bottom of the ocean what do we have, exploration?

Deep Ones though

WHERE IS IT. I want to see the animated version of atlantians riding armored sharks!!!!

(I guess they did an animated version of some of the concept art )

Maybe it should be more monster focused than human.
Maybe a team that just follows the monster and watches it.

Or it being a threat to humanity.

if you are really deep you can't quickly or easily exit the ocean

This is extremely beautiful, damn.

that didn't stop star wars. it'd be easy to replicate this nowadays and make it scary. just get rid of jar-jar, different music, etc.

youtube.com/watch?v=IIQVAShJzLo

This

Was the best film of the prequels

looks like some anime shit

'Aquaman' will exploit the horrors of the deep if it knows what's good for it, which I highly doubt

thinking Aquaman will be anything more than a 1/2 drunk Aquaman acting like an underwater redneck

>95 percent of the ocean is unexplored

95% of the ocean is unexplored because 95% of the ocean is boring as shit, the important parts have been fully explored and ravaged by james cameron

>Hellevik, being exposed to the highest pressure gradient and in the process of moving to secure the inner door, was forced through the 60 centimetres (24 in) in diameter opening created by the jammed interior trunk door by escaping air and violently dismembered

Fug.

If they're unexplored how do we there is nothing there?

24 inches is pretty wide. I could fit through that.

because if there was anything there we'd have found it by now with the same shit that predicts tsunamis and hurricanes and earthquakes and space jews

Does anyone else have a crippling fear of the open ocean?

I literally have recurring nightmares where I'm wading about a mile off shore in the middle of a storm and there are dark creatures about the size of buses swimming under and around me.

Too expensive for most companies to deal with.

Why bother when you can get cheap jump scares to print money. Hence the massive multi billion dollar success of Paranormal Activity. A couple of go-pros and one high def camera plus some unknown starving actors and you're good to go.

They keep people away from where the elite underwater cities are.

>concept art
>and for a fucking capeshit flick
kys desu

i dont'[ think he went through the way you think you could go through.

They need to make a film about the Marinara Trench...deepest part of the planet

>Does anyone else have a crippling fear of the open ocean?

it's the spookiest thing on the planet user. Just miles and miles of shit that can kill and eat you and all that keeps it from you is that those things didn't decide to swim upward.

Much eerier than space.

Oil?
nearish future we run out of oil and bottom of the mariana's trench has a bunch of oil or some other shit we want.

>Sphere and Abyss focus on le spoopy aliens instead of some actual spoopy biological/psychological horrors
why are filmmakers so stupid

Why isn't there a good adaptation of Moby Dick? It's one of the most famous pieces of (relatively modern) Western literature, but every remotely recent adaptation of it has been panned.

>the important parts have been fully explored

I think there will be some crazy fucking shit popping up in the arctic circle as the ice melts and becomes accessible year round.

In the Heart of the Sea had potential (and was actually not too bad) but as you say, got slammed critically.

I think it is one of those things that the novel is just so good that it doesn't really bear the adaptation. And I'm generally of the opinion that cinematic adaptations of literary works are shit: the best cinema is its own art form and doesn't rely on being connected with other art-forms to gain legitimacy. Until one of the great directors/auteurs turns their hands to the question of aquatic cinema, we'll be left with sub-par stuff

yeah like ice and snow and ice

>I could fit through that.

With 9 atmospheres of pressure, you'd fit through anything.

this. Cost is prohibitive and it's a total pain in the ass. James Cameron barely got through The Abyss and that will probably be the definitive underwater movie until CGI progresses to a point where we can't tell the difference.

Isn't avatar 2 all about underwater?

REMINDER:
James Wan has the italian Prog Rock Band GOBLIN doing the soundtrack for Aquaman

hyped hyped hyped hyped hyped hyped hyped hyped hyped hyped hyped hyped hyped hyped hyped hyped hyped hyped hyped hyped hyped

I loved a lot of his stuff on Suspiria but didn't really like what I heard for Inferno, not really sure how it'll fit for this.

FUCKING BASED

youtube.com/watch?v=A6HXh-YXxRk

By dar muy favorite Deep Rising 1998
Basically Lovecraft meets the action 90's with a perfect balance of horror gore action bad jokes and one of the best endings ever
My dreams for a sequel never lose hope

Thalassophobia really is the reddit meme phobia.

Goblin? Shit I've never even heard of them and I thought I knew all the major Italian prog bands.

the ocean is the ultimate solution

Are you being facetious or is Italian prog rock some sort of big thing I've never heard of?

>capeshit
>horror

Oh yes, a PG-13 horror for the entire family.

There was that Siren horror that was actually pretty fun.

You are completely retarded.

they are the only italian Prog Rock band Ive ever heard of (american here)

Italian prog (or rock progessivo italiano/RPI) is hugely popular. The three biggest bands were Banco del Mutuo Soccorso, Le Orme, and Premiata Forneria Marconi. There were also a ton of one hit wonders in the 70s. And Italy has been (one of) the best producer of prog in the past 20 years now.

Not an argument you pseud

wait this goblin? youtube.com/watch?v=JZeUBmIUv_8

yup

horror movies have lower budgets generally

Oh okay, didn't know that, but I'm not really into rock so I guess that's why

"Hugely popular" was an exaggeration. But it's definitely a thing. Italy was the second biggest producer of prog in the 70s after the UK.

What about Germany? Krautrock is sorta prog.

Yeah but Italy was still bigger.

Anyway are there any other RPI bands worth checking out?

god i love giant monster movies. shit like cloverfield, may not have been the greatest but just it being a giant monster movie made it fun for me.

why cant there be more giant monster movies. and not action packed stuff like kong, but scarier stuff.

you are ignorant as fuck my friend

watch some bbc nature documentaries. the diversity and variety of life is stunning and 99% unknown to the majority of people.

In the deep sea or around the galapagos isles sure, but for the most part they are quite dull

theres plenty of oppurtunity of sci fi ocean stories, europa report for example.

its a great setting for horror, mystery or thriller films. certainly doesnt lend itself to action much though.

This
Scared me shitless as a kid
>that fucking scene where they shoot one of the arms of the giant squid open and one of the guys was in there already being digested, still alive, with half his fucking face off