Where's the line between a film being deep and a film being pretentious, also give examples

Where's the line between a film being deep and a film being pretentious, also give examples

being pretentious and deep can cohexist like in eva
but being only pretentious is shit like in primer

Well, what you posted is pretentious trash.

It's also not a film.

If I like it it's deep, if I don't it's pretentious.

Soundtrack

here we go buddy, the autists are coming to defend the hell out of this... It Is overrated, I can see people liking the shit out of it when it came out and being proud of knowing of something mainstream but now its just annoying.

*^not mainstream

Eva is a series but the cap is from the movie.

ew im not going there

Apocalypse Now is a prime example of the former

Will you ever watch something that isn't low IQ shit like this or capeshit, 2016 poster?

Evangelion is the epitome of pretentious shit, the studio was going bankrupt and they just threw together shit without any thought to it in the end of evangelion

Anime cannot be cinema, weeb

But what if something happens to the Sun, the Moon, or the Earth?

Says who, dork.

EoE is a flick AT BEST

You'll always have the words "I love you"

At least post good Anime to start the thread with

Its deep if it can impart a greater meaning without sacrificing the other elements of a good movie. It takes an extremely talented director to tow the line between deep and accessible.

It's pretentious if the movie tries to impart deeper meaning at the expense of rest of the film. This is when the pseudo-intellectuals jump on board. When mainstream and critical audiences alike pan the movie, the autists convince themselves that everybody else just didn't "get" it. They start trying to make the movie seem more meaningful than it really is, often with absurd essays and loose "connections" pulled out of every frame.

I wrote my thesis on the made up Christian symbolism in NGE/EoE, and Japan's misunderstanding of Western culture.

Fuck Anno.

Plebbitors only think Evangelion is deep because of the pretentious as shit dialogue and because it shows tits in a nonsexual way ("OMG SO ARTSY xD")

Fuck it I'm watching EoE tonight... Why is that movie so fucking good? Especially if you don't rewatch the series beforehand, it should just be some random episodes but it's great as a standalone having watched it all before.

Not even the animators knew what they were doing with EoE, it's empty pretentious shit

Another Sup Forumseddit thread by insecure plebs who need validation and will spam their pleb anime to get it because they don't want to watch a film. You are the worst pleb

Eva is the most successful anime franchise of all time. How is it not mainstream? Also I don't see how you can complain about people defending it when you haven't leveled any actual criticism against it as a series and film.

>wrote a thesis on a cartoon aimed at teenage kids and adults in their early to mid 20s

The christian symbolism is literally just there to look cool. It's not at all why people praise the show.

Primer makes complete sense, though, to be pretentious is to try to be deep or complex without actually knowing what you're doing.

People have written their thesis on much stupider things.

I know, that's what I wrote my thesis about.

Anyone who likes EoE needs to get taste

swaglord

>Eva is the most successful anime franchise of all time.
You're retarded, aren't you? There are dozens of more successful anime franchises than Eva.

Theses is the plural, but you're not wrong.

What degree are you trying to get where a professor goes "user, your in depth analysis of this cartoon was very interesting to read. I especially liked the part where you said 'This Christianity shit is literally just there to look cool lmao'. I've sent it to a few of my colleagues and I think we might be able to allocate some grant funds to further your studies into this imaginary universe. I hope you can really get into the meaning behind the tang, and if you can ever uncover what Gendo said to Ritsuko, you might get yourself an award!"

But yeah you aren't wrong.. it is just surprising this is allowed but then again
>The city of modern education

the entire concept of being "deep" is fucking retarded.
If a work of art aspires to be profound it is pretentious.
Eva doesn't really aspire to be profound, it's just about people with depression.

Pretentious means something I don't like and doesn't include fart jokes.

Film and Television.

Probably not dozens, but definitely multiple. You're living under a rock if you think Evangelion holds a candle to the popularity of Pokemon or Dragonball.

So art should never aspire to be profound? get outta here.

It is at least relevant if you aren't memeing. Ive heard people writing absolutely retarded shit for degrees that has nothing to do with their paper. But yeah if you aren't pulling my leg I could see it I suppose. Dissecting a pretty influential film and the themes behind it. Even if you don't like Eva, it could serve as educational or worthy of study if you need to write a paper.

Also don't ever tall shit about The Master ever again. He works in ways mortals like you could never understand.