/who/ General: MASTER(BATION)

Previous thread:

Other urls found in this thread:

thesun.co.uk/tvandshowbiz/3264755/doctor-who-star-john-simm-returning-to-do-battle-with-the-new-time-lord-as-super-villain-the-master/
youtube.com/watch?v=PbJqNa0_Oz0
youtube.com/watch?v=_tQ8BdbXtF4
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

First for Irving Braxiatel wanting to fug Benny

John Simm is back: thesun.co.uk/tvandshowbiz/3264755/doctor-who-star-john-simm-returning-to-do-battle-with-the-new-time-lord-as-super-villain-the-master/

Series 10 trailer: youtube.com/watch?v=PbJqNa0_Oz0

IT'S A WANKIN' HAND

2008 Proms on at cytu be/r/casualwhostream

reminder John Hurt is still dead

Not before he met Leela.

youtube.com/watch?v=_tQ8BdbXtF4

so weird seeing S10 promo with a clip from 2005 in the mix

Just got back from the screening. It's Pigbin Josh.

fuck I wish I'd thought of that one

checked and bumping

cytu be/r/casualwhostream

GET IN THE STREAM

Who /goingtohauntthisgeneralcomplainingforthewholechibnallera/ here?

There was nothing about the Doctor being half human though, only Alex not being Gallifreyan enough to benefit from his ancestry.

How is Capaldi viewed amongst:
/who/
tumblr
reddit
general who-watching public

/who/: GOAT but every time he is brought up you will get at least one person crying about how he didn't end up being like the vague idea in their head.

Others: No idea don't care

/who/ - GOAT
tumblr - UGLEH
reddit - REEE GUITAR
public - OLD CORPSE

>loved and memed
>he's oogleh
>not muh Tennant
>mostly indifferent

Survey: How many people lurking RIGHT NOW don't usually come to /who/ and only returned because of the Simm thing?

/who/ - GOAT, though many prefer RTD, but they still like Capaldi.
tumblr - actually more beloved than you'd think. Anyone who didn't like him just stopped caring about Doctor Who.
reddit - I think that they like him. I don't know, honestly.
General public - Very divided. On Facebook and Instagram it's always very divided. People really like him or say stuff like "I want David back"

>though many prefer RTD
>many

25%

Sup Forums is the 84th most popular site in the US, you do the math.

The only reason I'm here is because I saw another thread talking about muh white male doctor. I was curious as to whether people were happy enough with Capaldi to stay the course or they might cave and make him nonwhite and nonmale.

Whouffaldi is pretty damn popular on Tumblr

Post best-case scenario choices for the next Doctor actor.

>tfw 12th gets into a big fight against Missy and both regenerate while Simm laughs his shit off, mentioning the drums

I'd rather he be the Master, but Dance needs to get in Who at some point for sure.

GOAT

Actually, Charles Dance would be a GOAT companion.

Of course, but let's not forget Chales Dance as The Doctor > Charles Dance as The Master.
With a dedicated, serious, quality writer, I could picture Charles Dance as The Doctor giving me goosebumps with an intimidating speech.
That being said, he would be absolutely fucking scary as The Master.

Dylan Moran, Charles Dance, Hayley Atwell, or almost everyone else people suggest on /who/ would be about a hundred times better than Kris Marshall, Phoebe Waller-Bridge, David Harewood, or almost everyone else the rest of the internet seems to want.

I don't know what you've been hearing but Hayley is probably a more popular suggestion than any of those last three people.

Those last three are the ones who had big news stories because they had massive betting runs on them. And at least Kris and Phoebe show up in all those "12 people who we want for the next Doctor" clickbait articles. (Although I haven't seen David in them much.)

Maybe that just means everyone is resigned to it being one of them than wanting one of them, but still, I'm not resigned to any of them.

Brazil is a pretty cool guy. He escapes realities and doesn't afraid of anything.

Thank Christ we've got some "The X of Y" titles at the end of the season. I was getting sick of these shitty 1 to 2 word titles.

"The Pilot" is such an awful name. I wasn't fond of the first one either.

Why does Rachael keep directing the final eps?

I like Capaldi a lot in the role, but a lot of his stories have been quite poor, and he's been written very inconsistently I liked him best in series 8.

Same problem with Matt Smith

Great actor, great performance, shit stories

Reliability I guess?

why did the matt smith era feel so long yet capaldi's feels like it's hardly begun?

>reminder that we've still only seen 2/3rds of Capaldi's era.

"Doctor 'oo?"

still though. i remember /who/ and myself feeling fatigued before the start of series 7.

Yeah, the way S6 fell apart toward the end, and the general vibe of "I am so tired and stressed out" that Moffat was giving out, it did kind of feel like it was taking forever. But that's not exactly a good thing.

Might be the huge amount of stories compared to something like Capaldi's 2-parter run, and the mid-season breaks. You had to wait a long time during Matt Smith's tenure for storylines to get resolved.

Honestly, every year of NuWho feels like it's over in a flash to me. I don't know if that's because of Classic Who doing dozens of episodes per year, or because of Wilderness Who giving me at least one story per month all year round.

Did Moffat do anything right besides casting Doctors and Series 5?

You're just getting old user.

It's these TV sets today. They're so big! And all that colour! And you can't even see the scanlines! Makes my eyes hurt just thinking about it, I don't know how you kids do it.

> split seasons versus whole seasons
> a bigger picture story versus self-contained seasons
> long waits between each half season versus one singular, long wait between two whole seasons
> 50th anniversary hype
> more milestones for the show as it continued to grow versus stability today

Do you guys think that Doctor Who/ Sherlock would've been better under Moffat's tenure if he was focusing on one or the other at a single time, or do you think nothing would've changed?

Actually, Charles Dance would be a GOAT Rassilon.

Doctor Who would have been better. Memelock was never good.

Definitely would have been better.

>Both S6 and S7, he's admitted he was overworked and barely had time to get the scripts done in time. That's surely why they were his two worst finales.
>Trying to get both Doctor Who and Sherlock into the 2016 schedule and find some way to produce both of them, he failed at both and we got a hiatus.
>We don't know why he got all obnoxious and drove away some of his core people, but I'm sure being stressed out from overextending himself didn't help.

Rassilon has never been a great character and will never be a great character. He'd do a good job at it (and be easy to write for), but it would still be a waste of Charles Dance.

Who did he drive away?

Rassilon has always been a great non-character. They should never have brought him to life. It just wasn't needed and he was interesting as a figure of the past.

Should have just combined them into the same show and had Faction Paradox fuckery.

I think Moffat had his cake and ate it too. He should have picked only one. You didn't see old George Martin producing the Beatles reunion in the 1990's. Should have had some pride in the quality of his work and made sacrifice. I can't blame him though. He got a lot more on his resume and probably made a shit load of money.

Three co-executive producers over the span of S6-7.

Yes. Rassilon can work in the background, or in tiny bits in the foreground (like appearing in a couple panels in Alan Moore's comic strip, or a brief flashback scene in a novel). But make him the focus of a story, and even Don Warrington can't make him as interesting as he was in your imagination.

What baffles me is that he must have noticed the problems RTD was having trying to do multiple shows at once.

TW and SJA were closely-related shows in the same universe, and he had people like Chibnall and Ford who were willing to do most of the work while he got the credit, and he still got burnt out trying to do them at the same time as DW.

What made Moffat think he would somehow have more time and energy than RTD, without even RTD's coke to fuel him?

I've had a whole year

Tbf the lady from Series 5 was apparently using show money for vacations. So that wasn't Moffat. No idea about the other two though.

MATRICES
A
T
R
I
C
E
S

>Ford STILL hasn't been able to write an episode of Proper Who by himself.

Next year, right?

You're talking about the one who left before S5 even started shooting? I don't remember her name.

I was talking about Piers Wenger near the end of S6, Beth Willis at the end of S6, and Caroline Skinner in the middle of S7.

I don't know many details for Wenger and Willis, except that Wenger was still head of BBC Wales Drama when he quit as co-exec, which definitely couldn't have been helpful to Moffat.

Meanwhile, Skinner had some public arguments with Moffat before suddenly announcing, days before S7b started airing, that she was moving up to a better job at BBC London (which turned out not to be true), and they had to scramble to finish the anniversary specials without her.

Dreamland?

Not that user, but I don't think he'd count Dreamland as a proper Who episode any more than the Adventure Games.

Anyway, last I heard, he was pitching a new sci-fi kids show with Clayton Hickman, with RTD to be involved "in some capacity".

So is this K9/Omega movie really happening? If so, why?

Probably not unless it's a tv only special or direct to DVD. Who the fuck would buy that pitch for anything bigger. As for why, the guy loves money. And using K9 for anything is basically free money.

And if K9 vs. Omega sells, I'm sure he'll be doing K9 vs. the Black Guardian next.

And if Nick Park dies before him, we'll get K9 vs. Wallace & Gromit.

If he were smart he would just sell it all to Disney and cash out

I'm not sure Disney has much use for Omega, the Black Guardian, the Axons, etc. But yeah, they'd probably give him something for K9, and then he could retire, or put his time into trying to revive Sky or something.

>tfw Big Finish beat moffat to the Multi Master story.

Ask Moffat if he's bovvered.

Big Finish beats NuWho to just about every idea. It's like "Simpsons did it", except if Simpsons also had 13 spinoffs and nobody cared what the ratings were for any of them.

>I'm not sure Disney has much use for Omega
Disney don't have the rights to mutants, or any of the alien races the Fantastic Four ever fought.

The only reason they haven't already run out of cosmic villains for the Marvel movies is that they keep reusing Loki.

Omega would fit in perfect, even if his helmet isn't quite as silly as Galactus'.

I'm thinking more in terms of bargaining chips and I think Bob could work out a nice package deal since he would be getting any royalties for that shit anyway. If they could own all of that, the daleks, and anything else in free flow, they could get the rights to some shitty doctor who movies if the bbc wants to use their shit. Honestly, I think Disney will end up owning doctor who itself in the distant future.
I didn't consider this, but it's true that Disney could just throw shit around and use it in their cape movies. I wouldn't be surprised if in the next 100 years the Doctor and spider man will be in the same film. Hopefully the bbc has the dignity to end the show by then.

I was at least mostly joking, but… the DWM comics had the Doctor landing on the Baxter Building in the DWM comics, not to mention the whole Death's Head thing, and then there's Assimilation^2 crossing over the Doctor and the Cybermen with Star Trek in more recent comics, so…

Anyway, I don't think Disney is all that interested in small shit, because going as big as possible is working amazingly for them.

They didn't want to co-own the Star Wars cartoons with Lucasfilm, or make a deal to do more Star Wars stuff at their theme parks; they wanted to
completely own the $1B/movie franchise and the insane merch package that goes with it. And they then scrapped everything that wasn't either directly profitable or a loss leader for the big stuff.

If they can't own Doctor Who (and all the side stuff) outright, the only other thing I could see them being interested in is making a series of massive blockbusters, which they would push so hard that mainstream viewers start thinking of the BBC TV show as a spinoff of their movie series rather than the other way around.

why is everyone so excited about a multi master episode? we've had one before.

As Stalin once said, one Master is a finale, 6 billion Masters is a pantomime.

But Five Masters…

Philomena Cunk IS the Thirteenth Doctor.

chronological user here, watching Dalek, lets see how it stands up to jubilee.

I just realized, going through the backup strips in the 12 comics, that the Doctor is obsessed with chips in these things.

Was Moffat reading these comics when he came up with the idea for Bill?

>tfw no ask Moffat in the new DWM
>tfw I unintentionally abandoned /who/ the last couple months

I only say that because they tried to buy it before and I wouldnt put it past them to eventually buy every single vintage franchise that could be made into a series of films

SCHLEMM YOU'RE HERE

Nice seeing you too user

Do you have the rest of the magazine with the Series 10 episode previews?

Yeah, I'll have it uploaded in the next couple hours. I'll probably storytime it here starting in the next hour or so actually, I owe it to you guys

did you miss me?