Why does Hollywood have to "badass" everything up? Tim Curry's IT looks a hell of a lot more unsettling

Why does Hollywood have to "badass" everything up? Tim Curry's IT looks a hell of a lot more unsettling.

I've been saying this from day 1, clowns are scary as is. Trying super hard to make a clown scary just negates this.

The new pennywise barely ever looks like a clown.

I had the same issue with the clown from American Horror story.

Gotta agree. The new one looks like an ovious onster - supernatural, spooky, etc.

The old one looks slightly demonic, but could also just as well be your drunk uncle in a suit, scaring the shit out of you when you're eight.

because the new pennywise is accurate to the book

I like the dress a lot, more like an old school clown, the face makeup is absolutely retarded though, it's just too much.

The best Stephen King adaptations are incredibly loose ones.

What does Pennywise look like in the book?

Should've made him more like pic

>clowns are scary

no they arent fucking pussy

Hopefully we'll get the scene with Hockstetter's death. A gang member of Henery's gang. Hockstetter was crazier than Henry, belived himself to be the "only real" being on earth. IT didnt know what to transform into b/c Hockstetter wasnt afraid of anything, except for flying leeches. In the book IT was transforming in front of him before dragging him away, creepy shit man

>being accurate to anything stephen "the hack" king writes

that was their first mistake

We got a badass over here

Just wait until you see the drider

King described it being a cross of Clarabell, Bozo and Ronald McDonald, in other words, Tim Curry's look was accurate

Shut the fuck up you insecure bastard.

You're looking at a promotional still from a horror movie

The new look is closer to the book. And better

You nostalgia fags are the worst. You probably didn't read the book. Movie is not even out yet.

Someone post the webm already

UH AH AH AH

Jesus Christ

The face of the clown in the stormdrain was white, there were funny tufts of red hair on either side of his bald head, and there was a big clown smile painted over his mouth. If George had been inhabiting a later year, he would of surely thought of Ronald McDonald before Bozo or Clarabell.
The clown held a bunch of balloons, all colours, like gorgeous ripe fruit in one hand.
He was wearing a baggy silk suit with great big ornage buttons. A bright tie, electric blue, flopped down his front and on his hands were big white gloves, like the kind Mickey Mouse and Donald Duck always wore.

No he fucking isn't you liar

I know, I love the book, but I never remember pennywise being described like that, other than the silver old fashioned clown suit. I don't recall him being as young or lanky looking.

What scared me about the original as a kid was how the clown just looked like any clown you'd see at a circus or a party, which made me terrified to even look at one, it's like it created a new phobia for me, the new design is so monster-like, it's impossible to imagine it in broad daylight. The new one looks "scary", the old one looks unsettling.

It's like the blend of the normal and the horrifying that makes Curry's design so effective.

The new one is like a Halloween decoration.

Nostalgia Goggles: The Shiity TV Miniseries: The Thread

why are there remakes of good, successful movies?

because Hollywood is generally out of ideas.

Haven't you faggots had this discussion enough? Either actually talk about the novel in depth or just wait until the next trailer comes out.

I was reading about the original movie, and there's an idea they had for the original pennywise design that never made its way into the movie, but sounded cool as hell to me.

They had the idea of pennywise looking like he did in the finished product only for the sections where the characters are children, as if he's trying to lure them in as a friendly clown, but in the adult sections, when they return to face him, he looks like the rotting bloated corpse of clown, as if the years had taken its toll on him and his clown facade was failing.

It would have really fit with the theme of facing the old demons of your childhood and lost innocence.

>actually talk about the novel in depth

You have to be 18+ to post here pal.

This

that.. is amazing

see

But this Pennywise is super fast

Did it ever occur to you that I just find him creepier? Probably pretty important for a horror film right? Like maybe it's not rose colored glasses and a technique creators should pay attention to?

People like you have no understanding of artistic finesse. They didn't make him "better", they just made him more marketable.

Inb4 people asking if the gangbang scene is in the movie.

The only thing that pisses me off is how fucking goofy new IT's teeth look.

Fucking bucktoothed cunt.

You should suck Warner Brothers' dick for demonizing Bugs Bunny.

>badass

How the fuck is new Pennywise badass, they are the same concept of a clown but done in two different time periods. Old Pennywise was an ordinary party clown whereas new Pennywise is clown from a bygone era (IT is millions of years old after all).

Did it ever occur to you that you have no idea what the intention was behind the fucking design of a TV horror movie clown was?

You don't know if they originally wanted some grimdark monster clown but all they could afford was a standard clown suit.

Artistic finesse? Don't talk out of your ass.

The original "It" was a bloated mess made iconic by Tim Curry's performance and a few genuinely creepy scenes. As far as remakes go, it's an ideal candidate.

because subtly doesn't sell tickets

>subtle
>clown in the fucking sewers

True, even King admits his books had serious flaws, like writing Roland in Dark Tower as white instead of black, writing Red in Shawshank as white instead of black, and writing Dick Hallorann as white instead of black.

The creepiness of Curry's IT is the dichotomy between it looking like a normal clown one minute and then transforming to something monstrous the next.

With the remade version, there is no dichotomy: it's already creepy/evil-looking. It can only look moreso.

This. I couldn't finish the books because it was so racist. Thank god they fixed Roland in the upcoming movie. I mean come on, it's 2017!

>it's already creepy/evil-looking.

No, it's the just that promotional pictures show him as being sinister. There's nothing about an old-timey clown that prevents it from coming across as an actual clown.

Yeah it's kinda like Child's Play. The Good Guys aka Chucky dolls look like Dolls a little girl would have.

Just a subtle scowl makes it pretty creepy. The later sequels Chucky gets crazier looking and it fits with the dumb cheap B-Movie Horror-Comedy the series turns into but it's also loses its effect.

Oh and yes Child's Play is not a very scary movie, but dammit it did make other Dolls unnerving to me after I saw it.

He looks like the clowns that were roaming around a million years ago.

Not at all bloated for a mini series. One or two deeply creepy scenes for a horror show would be an amazing show.

You're a piece of work.

Yes.

Are clowns actually scary or do we just accept that they were scary at one point?

this

They aren't scary in the traditional sense. They fit in the uncanny valley between endearing and creepy.

nah youre an idiot who doesn't understand the uncanny valley.. the face paint exaggerates common human faces to a creepy, uncomfortable level..you might not be scared, but its pretty common for people to be scared of them..
I think kids find them fun because they aren't aware 100% what a normal face may look like..

The new one looks like a fucking nerd. Look at those teeth lol

i agree, the connotations of this are scary enough..this would have been the right way to make a remake

Some spastics have a phobia for some reason.
They objectively aren't any scarier than regular people.

It really doesn't. Curry's version is ok at best.

This is what I kind of liked about Tim Currys pennywise. There's just something off about him that could trick young kids into trusting him. The current one looks nothing like a clown and more like a side story batman villain, any kid over the age of 3 would be like what the fuck is that

but there are no black people in Maine, unless they came up from Lawrence to sell drugs

Who are you to say? I'm speaking from personal experience. And you know what? A lot of people happen to agree with me you fuck.

I think Tim Curry just had the benefit of being in his mid-40s and already looking like a fucking weirdo degenerate without the makeup, so he could believably embody that uncanny John Wayne Gacy vibe. In contrast, Skarsgard is young and chic, so he just ends up looking like a college kid wearing a Halloween costume. It was more of a lapse in casting than in the costume design.

And a lot of people agree with me so back off?!?

This is so true. I never saw It before yesterday. It's fucking atrocious. Even for tv it's just fuck-off bad. Not unsettling or scary in the slightest. He looks a lot scarier in photos than he is in motion because the idea of a normal looking clown that's actually a horrible monster is an unsettling one and that's what people remember about the film (I'll just call it a film because that's basically what it is).

Personally, I think the new design is really cool because it immediately implies there's a history to the character. His outfit is like from the 17 or 1800's and because of that it's unfamiliar and strange but still clown-like, which I appreciate.

I'm not holding out hope for this to be a good movie, but I'm not writing it off like everyone in this thread is just because it's not exactly like the shitty film they remember as kids.

Watch the sewer scene again, his acting is unreal.

>"oooh yess" *lips quiver* "you will float"

they are scary out of context

a clown at a circus/party/some kind of event? perfectly normal

a clown knocking on your door at 2 AM? a little fucking unnerving

A lot of plebs agree with you. Quality, not quantity.

No, not really. Bill Skarsgard looks fucking weird. And he's a Big Guy.

They have the uncanny valley thing and the fact that they are supposed to attract kids (potential for a lot of disturbing situations) and the fact that you'd think guys who dress as a clown already have something fucked in their mind (unless they are a parent doing it for their kid or something).

t.lying shill

Dick Hallorann was black in the books, dummy

The new IT looks bad, but no Stephen King adaptation is more egregious than a black Roland Deschain. I think Idris Elba is a great actor, but the gunslinger is white.

Wow, it's like everything rested on switching the race of a character. God bless cultural Marxism.

Personally I get really turned on by female clowns.

Can confirm this is true.
>crying tranny=shill laughing ErnestPWorrel-hat man=me

same here!

Need to go down to Latin America for that.

hmm, he looks fine, only gripe is the red lines on his face
get rid of that and he'd be ok in my book

The new version looks fucking awful. Also, clowns typically don't use sharp points in their makeup because it scares children.

He's not really weird in the same way Tim Curry is weird.

Stephen King cinematic universe when

took me a second, kek

Does he look radical though?

Because audiences need to be shown at face value everything today.

Is it a horror movie? Dark colors, blood, jumpscares, and rapid cuts to black and back

Is it an action movie? Quips, guns, dudebro guys, and "daaaaayum"

Is it a comedy? Awkward guy, record scratch, silly "shenanigans"

they actually look like they could be father and son in this comparison

but curry's mouth almost looks caricature like in it's size

I totally agree. The new clown is grimdark bullshit. And look at his fucking outfit. He looks straight out of the victorian era.

Gimme the quote then, dummy

Why do you think he was at The Black Spot in IT, retard?

>The Dark Tower, Chapter 8
>"Dick had been walking all day, he needed a break and some relaxation . 'Ooga Booga', he exclaimed as he removed watermelon slices from his rucksack, 'where da white wimmenz at?'

lost

Just realized I fucked up though, Dick wasnt in Dark Tower

Is that Pearl?

Did someone say sexy clowns?

You know a story about an ancient evil spider creature that shapeshifts as a clown to go around killing people needs?

Realism.

Bravo, Chris.

rights more scary

should have made him like that in the movie, either go all the way monster or creepy birthday party clown. not victorian hot topic emo boi.

They'd need Disney to buy out Stephen King's soul for quality assurance purposes. 9/10 King film adaptations are pure shit

I feel like you fucking autists are pulling my leg when it comes to this shit, the new pennywise still looks like a clown and it scary as fuck, unlike the tim curry amateur hour version which only autistic man babies find scary