Reminder that video games have surpassed film as an art form

Reminder that video games have surpassed film as an art form.

Other urls found in this thread:

slashfilm.com/paul-thomas-anderson-admires-christopher-nolans-dark-knight-trilogy/
deadline.com/2012/12/afi-awards-2012-winners/
imdb.com/event/ev0000620/2012
entertainment.time.com/2012/12/04/top-10-arts-lists/slide/the-dark-knight-rises/
rollingstone.com/movies/lists/the-best-movies-of-2012-20121212/the-pop-spot-19691231
articles.latimes.com/2012/dec/14/entertainment/la-et-mn-year-in-review-best-movies
criticschoice.com/search?s=dark
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Head temp rises

I can see your head heating up

>vidya
>art

lul

You have to go back

>Kojima
But he makes movies, not games.

The Dark Knight Rises was crowned by Forbes as the best modern comic book superhero adaption on screen, outranking both its main summer blockbuster competitor, Marvel's The Avengers, and the trilogy's previous installment The Dark Knight.

The Telegraph granted the film a maximum score of five stars, stating that it is "a superhero film without a superhero," comparing it with The Godfather Part II and praising Hardy's performance as well as the film's intricate plot and narrative.

The Los Angeles Times thought the film was "potent, persuasive and hypnotic" and that it was "more than an exceptional superhero movie, it is masterful filmmaking by any standard."

Paul Thomas Anderson Admires Christopher Nolan’s ‘Dark Knight’ Trilogy
slashfilm.com/paul-thomas-anderson-admires-christopher-nolans-dark-knight-trilogy/

The American Film Institute ten-best films of 2012 list.
deadline.com/2012/12/afi-awards-2012-winners/

Southeastern Film Critics Association best films of 2012
imdb.com/event/ev0000620/2012

TIME magazine best films of 2012
entertainment.time.com/2012/12/04/top-10-arts-lists/slide/the-dark-knight-rises/

Rolling Stone best films of 2012
rollingstone.com/movies/lists/the-best-movies-of-2012-20121212/the-pop-spot-19691231

Los Angeles Times best films of 2012
articles.latimes.com/2012/dec/14/entertainment/la-et-mn-year-in-review-best-movies

91/100 Critics' Choice
criticschoice.com/search?s=dark

88% RT, 8.0 average rating (8.0 Top Critics)
78/100 Metacritic, 10 perfect scores
Cinemascore: "A"
RedLetterMedia: Emotional visceral poetic epic, only batman movie about batman

Not an argument.

>Sup Forums child/manchild crossposter
>uses the "pure kino" meme

hmm

>God Tier
Literature
Music
Film
Painting

>High Tier
Fashion design
Sculpture
Photography
Architecture
Industrial design
Textiles

>Mid Tier
Theater
Calligraphy
Dance
Cuisine
Interior design (as a concept)
Conceptual art
Graphic design

>Useless Shit Tier
Television
Ceramics
Glassware
Woodworking
Printmaking
Jewelry
Fretwork
Metal work
Ivory Carving

>Not Even Art Tier
Videogames

pleb

t. pseud

He's right, though.

Nobody cares if one sperg likes a game. The game company needs sales to drive the super expensive production of their games and its their imperative to appeal to the largest audience possible to get the money to produce.

>woodworking
>not god tier
Fucking nu-males and their low energy """arts"""

Not an argument.

Yes, video games are art.

Art is literally anything that enables expression.

Poor Roger Ebert died and never played MGS2 to realize how utterly fucking wrong he was.

this desu
pure kojikino

Make the same about books and the Sup Forumsedditors cry to the mods and they delete it since these scum don't block ads
bring back /lit/ posters
bring back Sup Forums posters
save Sup Forums

post the best litkino

What's the game on the second one on vidya?

Bloodborne

All three are from Bloodborne, which is one of the few games I would consider art.

The screenshots are form the end of the main game, the middle of the DLC and the final boss of the last DLC (who is the hardest boss in the game and arguably in all Souslborne games).

Yeah but when people talk about video games being art, they talk about shit like The Last of Us or other games that are heavily narrative driven which are less video games and more an interactive cutscene.

>bloodboorne
too bad the gameplay is shit

Woah, das pretty good
I thought bloodbourne was the 1st panel
Nioh the 2nd
And Dark Souls 3rd

>b-but he makes movis!!! Its nut gaems!
>OP's image only shows cutscenes from a game

What did he mean by this?

>unironically putting minecraft on the same level as Da Vinci

the internet was truly a mistake

Minecraft is one of the most brilliant games ever created.

>Kojima still agrees with him

B T F O
T
F
O

nigger plane scene is well above kino

5 years later and we're still finding new meanings in it

t. Markus Persson

genuinely cant tell if this is bait or just reddit

How will gaymers ever recover? Even the their most favorite gaem maker doesn't think they're art...

C U C K E D

The Dark Knight is objectively good. Do people bane post on Reddit? Not trying to lure out a Redditor just don't know how big it was in its prime

Heh, big.
Say it out loud.
Big.
I guarantee a 25% chance you consider a smile

How are you supposed to put gameplay on an image? Are you stupid?

Stop pandering to them swaglord.

low culture

Gamers BTFO

So you're saying the gameplay(which is basically present 99% of the game) is not kino enough to show?

I'm done.

>Bloodborne has mass appeal

Seriously though if your appreciation of game consisting entirely of uniform cubes ends at face value then you're a complete and utter pedestrian and you aren't worth the mental real estate it takes to justify why it's more interesting thanthat.

Reddit is the website that acts like they're above mainstream things but can never justify why the contemporary things they like is supposed to be better.

You're the redditor, boyo.

>CIA EATER
>Not PLANE EATER
Not Such A Thrill/10

Sup Forums please leave everyone else in the world loves minecraft. You can play it as virtual legos. Meaning if you don't like it you lack imagination .

Probably why you love your hivemind of reddit outcasts

Video games are an interactive medium and need to played to be experienced.

bloodborne and mgs3 are pure kino

>the single most visionary director of games as art is humble
>hurr durr gamers BTFO
Cinema rots your brains.

BRRAAPPPPPPPP* What have they feeding you at the agency cafeteria? *BAAAARRRFFFFFPPPPPPFPFPFPFPPFPF* *sniff* Is that, French cheese? Who knew they served such exquisite cuisine *BRRRRFFFFFFAAAAAAAAAARRRPPPPP* And yet you remain such a small guy *BRRRAAAAAPAPPPFPPFFPFPFP*

MGS2*

>company has secured funding to release the same game 5 times
>doesn't have mass appeal

But they're not good movies.

why not both? ;)

>babysitting this trash

Bloodborne is garbage.

Video games are pieces of art put together but rarely made with artistic intent.

>funding means mass appeal
>same game 5 times
Epic

why do you think that?

t. Died to gascigone 12 times

>funding for multiple similar products doesn't mean mass appeal
Did you hit your head?

That's okay too user ;3

>Watchmen isn't art
>Kanye West is
Even worse after the correction tbqhwyf

How do you even go about ranking all of the arts. I believe the above user is correct, this is pseud posting.

Securing funding for something doesn't mean it will be made with the intent of mass appeal. Do you think those games had the same budget as Call of Duty?

Legacy of Kain is the ultimate Kino video game

It's a triple A game about lovecraftian horrors. Also the way it slowly reveals the cosmic horror themes from an initial victorian-era horror facade is very well executed. I never thought I'd see a triple A game like this.

Bloodborne gives way too many souls and is really easy also the framerate kills me. Good game and the only one I own on ps4

Christ are you actually this dumb.

>design
>art

pick one and ONLY one

Great argument, you sure showed me.

>Art is a diverse range of human activities in creating visual, auditory or performing artifacts (artworks), expressing the author's imaginative or technical skill
guess i could pick both

if it weren't for the colorado shooting or the joker from tdk dying irl tdkr would've been universally ignored by critics and considered a flop.

anyone that says otherwise is a delusional dc cuck

>"I've created a race of idiots", said God as he saw the negro

>Nobody cares if one sperg likes a game. The game company needs sales to drive the super expensive production of their games and its their imperative to appeal to the largest audience possible to get the money to produce.

except that's true for everything in entertainment

That ranking is probably sort of fair tho

As far as depth of expression goes, lit, music, and film win out. Think about it.

>old gen graphics and framerata
>very few text and voice acting
>triple A game

Doesn't work that way. It's the typical japanese videogame made with a cheap budget and sold at a too expensive price.

>Useless tier
>Most of those listed have built civilizations
WEW LAD
That's a whole new level of numale

say what you will about Suicide Squad (it's dogshit) but DKR was quite critically acclaimed and holds up phenomenally, especially when considering it as the finale to a consistently solid trilogy.

>forgets comics in God tier

cool cool

t. pc-cuck

NEVER EVER

>comics aren't art
>godfather and apocalypse now aren't art

>boyhood is art

cool cool dude

>Chromatic aberration and shit lighting
>Kino
Pick one Sup Forumsirgin

Someone get this hothead outta here.

>Boyhood is art but the Godfather isn't
Apex bait

>Aah, you were on my side all along

Where's automotive?

Godfather was decent but apocalypse now was just a shit movie made bearable with a cast of big hollywood actors.

this has been updated a long time ago

>DRAGON AGE INQUISITION
>PARASITIC ACHIEVEMENT

>All the Sup Forumsermin in this thread
And they have the gall to call us Redditors. Go eat two weeks worth of food with Steven you fucking twelve year olds.

Bloodborne is fine but it doesn't really do any of the things DS1 did right. The level design is predictable and formulaic and the ways the world is interconnected are boring and pointless. It never stops feeling like a game, unlike DS1 which sometimes felt like exploring a real world.

t. MH redditor

>Games have surpassed film
>Implying one of two fundamentally different mediums can objectively outrank the other
>Implying that's not the epitome of apples & oranges
That's a stupid comparison that can't be made, but if ambitious games with mid-range budgets continue to push the limits, I see an extremely bright future ahead of them.

Reminder that just because you didn't like some capeshit doesn't make an entire artform superior. You literal twelve year old.

Back 2 veddit

>implying two fundamentally different mediums can't share characteristics or goals which can be compared
>implying you can't rank different artforms on the depth of artistic expression allowed by them.

It's overrated because it's a PS4 exclusive. But Dark Souls is better.