Are they good movies or are my weeb friends just fanboying over something because it's Japanese?

Are they good movies or are my weeb friends just fanboying over something because it's Japanese?

just watch one and form your own opinion you stupid fuckface

Nah, they're pretty good

average

Top five Ghibli:
Only Yesterday
On Your Mark
My Neighbours the Yamadas
Castle in the Sky
Princess Mononoke

Weebshit can never be good by definition

They're pretty much the only good anime imo besides a tiny handful of random shit. If you're an absolute chad who hates the idea of comfy then you won't like them m8.

they are good most are pretty comparable to old Disney movies and accessible to a general audience with higher quality dubbing and lack of typical anime cliches
whisper of the heart is the best

That would be my sixth choice but good movie though.

They're the most famous and popular anime movies in Japan, and Disney saw fit to become their distributor in America.

Anime is not weebshit by definition.

>They're pretty much the only good anime
No they're not.

anime for normies

Just wait for the hollywood adaptations and watch those instead. Cartoons can never be kino.

Good thing Ghibli doesn't make cartoons, then.

the stuido as a whole is vastly overrated but some movies do strike gold.

I always think it's noteworthy that Miyazaki himself has stated that he makes films for children. However he has never implied that he believes this makes them inappropriate or insubstantial for adults, and I am inclined to feel simarlarly

Nah

The best are:
Only Yesterday
Porco Rosso
Kiki's Delivery Service

Rest is weebshit

Japanese things cannot be wannabe Japanese.

Many movies are actually good desu
Weebs love them because they are weebs and the products are great, not like other low-tier shit.
There are some GOAT products like Mononoke and Spirited Away for the child cartoon genre and overhaul good movies like Porco Rosso and The Wind Rises

Ghibli has nothing to do with weeaboos.

Mononoke isn't a children's movie and neither of them are cartoons.

>Ghibli has nothing to do with weeaboos.

tbf I was talking about weebs themselves, not Ghibli, I can't write it properly but it's something like "Weebs like Ghibli because weeb's weeb status tell them to like Ghibli"

>Mononoke isn't a children's movie

Mononoke has child oriented issues like environment respect and strong young characters, San's relation with Moro etc. The fact that adults feel those themes too is secondary.

>and neither of them are cartoons.

What

Princess Mononoke > the rest

Why are you even bringing up weeaboos? They practically don't exist, and were never important to begin with.

>Mononoke has child oriented issues like environment respect and strong young characters, San's relation with Moro etc.
Environmentalism is not a children's issue, and strong young characters are not something specific to children's entertainment.

>What
Neither of them are cartoons. That's what I said.

This.

Go fuck off, OP.

OP asked about the weebs

>Environmentalism is not a children's issue

I don't know where are you from but in my country they start teaching you ecology and environment respect when you are like 6-7 yo
Young characters are often related to a yuong audience.

>Neither of them are cartoons. That's what I said.

So are they live actions?

anime just means animation. one definition of cartoon is animation. stop using some semantic bullshit to convince yourself you aren't watching a cartoon. seems insecure that you can't just admit you like watching cartoons. I do too, just not Japanese ones.

Maybe this is nostalgia but Nausicaa and Castle in the Sky, are my favorites. Followed by Mononoke, Kiki, Porco Rosso, The Wind Rises, Pam Poko, Spirited Away, then the rest are eh

>I don't know where are you from but in my country they start teaching you ecology and environment respect when you are like 6-7 yo
They also teach mathematics, reading and writing, sports etc. Are those children's issues now too?

>Young characters are often related to a yuong audience.
Ashitaka and San are not children, and in anime there is not necessarily a correlation between the age of the characters and the age of the intended audience.

>So are they live actions?
Where did I ever say anything like that? An animation is not live action just because it's not a cartoon.

Yes, animation is one meaning of the word, but that does not mean that the animation we refer to as anime is just any and all animation.

Cartoon is a specific form of animation, it is not a synonym for animation.

>stop using some semantic bullshit to convince yourself you aren't watching a cartoon. seems insecure that you can't just admit you like watching cartoons
Anime and cartoons are completely, fundamentally different from each other, and if you are saying cartoon simply means animation then why are you insinuating that I'm ashamed of watching cartoons? Doesn't cartoon just mean animation? Yet you are implying there is something more to the word than just "animation," something very negative. You are disproving your own argument.

>They also teach mathematics, reading and writing, sports etc. Are those children's issues now too?

If their objective was to make the child develop a feeling about the issue, they would have been.

>Ashitaka and San are not children, and in anime there is not necessarily a correlation between the age of the characters and the age of the intended audience.

I've said young, not children.

>Where did I ever say anything like that? An animation is not live action just because it's not a cartoon.

Cartoon is literally a short version of animated cartoons which is a subtype of animations that uses drawings to create the motion like Ghibli's movies are, considering other animation style uses puppets and/or clay.

>If their objective was to make the child develop a feeling about the issue, they would have been.
What are you even talking about anymore?

The bottomline is that environmentalism is not a children's issue. Princess Mononoke is not a children's movie just because it has themes of environmentalism. I don't know why you are this desperate to paint it as a children's movie.

>I've said young, not children.
You are arguing that it's a children's movie. If the characters are not children, then how do they advance your agenda that it's a children's movie?

>Cartoon is literally a short version of animated cartoons
And Ghibli's movies are not animated cartoons. They are anime.

>environmentalism is not a children's issue

It is, learning to respect the nature is something thought as children. This movie helps that, it's supposed that adults already knows that, if you are not american, obv.

>If the characters are not children, then how do they advance your agenda that it's a children's movie?
>there is not necessarily a correlation between the age of the characters and the age of the intended audience.

>And Ghibli's movies are not animated cartoons. They are anime.

ANIMated CARTOONS, literally the same word

>It is, learning to respect the nature is something thought as children.
And you really think adults are never encouraged to become more environmentally conscious? Do you think recycling for example is a children's issue? Do you think children are in charge of recycling? What the hell is wrong with you?

>there is not necessarily a correlation between the age of the characters and the age of the intended audience.
Yes, I said that. What about it?

>ANIMated CARTOONS, literally the same word
Anime literally has no relation to cartoon. It is short for animeeshon which means animation.

>And you really think adults are never encouraged to become more environmentally conscious? Do you think recycling for example is a children's issue? Do you think children are in charge of recycling? What the hell is wrong with you?

Never said they are not encouraged to be more, I've said that this movie is used to help teach ecology and also it's supposed that adults already know the issues explained in the movie.
I recycled since I was old enough to pee in a proper toilet and same did everyone I know so yes, childrem can recycle.

>Yes, I said that. What about it?
You answered yourself

>It is short for animeeshon which means animation.

And animation means? (hint, look some replies ago)

>I've said that this movie is used to help teach ecology
It is not an educational movie, and it is not even about environmentalism per se. Have you actually watched the movie or are you just lying about it to advance an agenda? Why are you so desperate to label it a children's movie? What is wrong with you?

>I recycled since I was old enough to pee in a proper toilet and same did everyone I know so yes, childrem can recycle.
At no point was the issue whether or not they CAN recycle.

>You answered yourself
If you agree that there is not necessarily a correlation, then why even bring it up? How does mentioning that the characters are young help your agenda?

>And animation means?
Animation.

Yes?

May I just say that Miyazaki is hack and I've never before seen anyone's works so criminally overrated. I've seen Spirited away, Nausicaa, porko rosso and all them are unbearable garbage. All and every works by Satoshi Kon are miles ahead of anything ghibli's shat out, yet you don't hear anyone talk about him, while Miyazaki is the first thing anyone thinks of when they hear "anime"

I watched The Tale of the Princess Kaguya the other day. I wasn't prepared.

>this work wasn't 11/10 GOAT, so it was unbearable garbage
This is what the Angry YouTube Critic Generation actually believes.

That's not what I meant. Spirited Away is the most glaring example for me, because it's universally praised. I was expecting some real animekino going into that, and instead got an hour and a half of some obscure shit that didn't make any sense. I literally had to fight the urges to turn it off the whole time. If you have the time and are willing to do it, please explain what the movie has going for it. Not trying to be a contrarian here, just genuinely curious

So you didn't understand the story, and that made the whole thing unbearable garbage with nothing going for it?

>Only Yesterday
my man, most underrated Ghibli

Nausicaa
Mononoke
Kiki
Arrietty
Whisper of the Heart

He killed millions.

this go fuck yourself OP

What about Totoro, guys? Not good?

My Neighbor Totoro > Kiki's Delivery Service > Whisper of the Heart > Ponyo > Princess Mononoke > The Tale of Princess Kaguya > Spirited Away > The Wind Rises > Porco Rosso > (The Castle of Cagliostro) > (Nausicaa) > The Cat Returns > When Marnie Was There > Castle in the Sky > Grave of the Fireflies > Pom Poko > From Up on Poppy Hill > Howl's Moving Castle > Arrietty > Tales from Earthsea > Only Yesterday > My Neighbors the Yamadas

They're all good apart from the one with the raccoons

Me neither senpai, me neither.