I love the costumes and sets in this movie

I love the costumes and sets in this movie

They avoided all the 70s design cliches and instead made it look like Britain was stuck in the 50s - which it sort of was

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=Yqu0R4g7DSg
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Everything about this movie fits. Perfect cast.

bump

That's something I always like. It's unrealistic when you have something set in the 50s and every car is a Bel Air and everyone wears the latest fashion.

Complicated stuff going on here but I think they got it right because its informed by the 1970s BBC adaptation which shows a Britain that is indeed stuck in the 1950s.

>instead made it look like Britain was stuck in the 50s - which it sort of was

What so many people forget is that in any decade, you will find people that are 20 years out of touch. You find even more of them in some places depending on geography.

Pic related: It's the 1980's but they're small town suburban soccer-mom whites with no taste, so all their stuff looks like the Walmart version of better stuff from 10 years prior.

At which point a BBC show steals the visual cues from a film that steals the visual cues from a prior BBC show.

How does the BBC version compare to the film?

I hate this shitty show so much. I can't believe I wasted 6 hours on the cunt.

>ywn work for the circus is the golden era of espionage

excellent film, seen it several times. excellent pleb filter as well

I genuinely challage Sup Forums to find me a better ensemble cast in the last decade

Its several hours long and feels quite slow (depends on your tastes whether this is a good thing or a bad thing).

Alec Guiness is utterly amazing in it. If you want to see a genuinely great actor at the absolute height of his powers, he delivers.

The cast is excellent, Beryl Reid, Ian Richardson, Sean Philips, Warren Clarke etc. Its quality work.

As a bonus you get to see Obi-Wan Kenobi vs. a young Jean-Luc Picard.

They also did "Smiley's People" but not the intervening "Honourable Schoolboy" which is mostly set in Hong Kong and Vietnam which would have ruled it out budget-wise at the time.

undiluted kino. only movie where Hardy is cast correctly

I agree, it is a very nice touch. The only people who typically wear the fashion trends of whatever year it is are teens, early 20-somethings, and certain celebrities, while adults with jobs usually look on modern fashion with a degree of disdain. A group of stuffy middle-aged men would certainly not be wearing 70s clothes.

LA MEEEEEER

top tier movie

reading this thread made me curious to see what alfredson's up to. apparently he has a new movie coming out this year, based on a norwegian detective novel. a bit disappointing since i feel like we're drowning in 'nordic noir' fare, but hopefully he can make it kino. the cast looks promising:

>big dick playa fassbender
>val kilmer
>jk simmons
>charlotte gainsbourg
>chloe sevigny
>toby jones
>assorted brits and scandis

going for that fincher dragon tattoo casting it seems

MFW he could be making Smiley's People instead.

Dr Mole, I'm Circus

What would Control say?

completely agreed

>golden era of espionage
40s-50s, tinker tailor was set in the decline desu

90% of the period films do not portray accurate the period they explore. Most of the time it's just actors playing a dress up but even that they can screw it up sometimes. A lot of history revisionism to fit with the tone of the movie.

I accepted that a long time ago and just go with it.

It's funny to think how masterfully Oldman pulls off this role and also think of him in The Fifth Element

Yeah, 39-45 would have been a lot more fun than the 70s

I too admired their clothes from time to time after I got bored of the movie.

qu'on voit danser

What movie is this?

Johnny English Reborn

Thanks user

bump

Mad Men was great for this. When Don gets his own apartment it literally looks like an old home from from the 1890s, with ugly ornate furniture in drab colors. When Don and Roger take Freddy to a gambling club they have fun being nostalgic and playing gambling games from the 1920s. Freddy goes "oh, they have pinochle?!?"

name a more kino ending sequence protip you cannot

youtube.com/watch?v=Yqu0R4g7DSg

ooh la mer

My dad did some audio work for Simley's People. Apparently him slapping his thigh ended up being the sound of sex through a door.

There's a big guy. Right at the top of the agency.

a legacy as good as any

Smiley's People. I'm a little bit retarded today.
He's pretty proud of it, as well as being at the BBC the day that somebody backed over the Tardis.

my brother. it's insane how overlooked it is. it is so rich in memorable moments. the way bill haydon looks at jim prideaux during the chritmas party and you just know those two were secretly in love.
smiley just sitting on his couch and looking at the painting bill gave him after he cuckolded him...
jesus, that movie should have more of a following.
i hope alfredson will deliver with "the snowman" it's been a long time since tinker tailor and he didn't do anything since.
with fassbender as the lead and a good script this could be great.

>inb4 Movie 43

ok without checking Wikipedia, let me guess, Ian Richardson is the tailor?

Smiley's People is fucking fantastic esp. the last episode

tfw we'll never get the next movies..

edgy

bump

>proud legacy of doing folly work for some of the best shows Britain has produced
>son shitposting on Sup Forums at 4:30 in the morning

It's 4:30 at night here, user. We come from a proud line of born shitposters.