Screenwriting and TV/Film Production

Have you guys written or worked on anything recently, be it your own project or helping out with someone else's?

Personally, I'm broke, so I'm focusing more on writing and development, as well as a bit of talking to people at local festivals. Also trying to do freelance, but it feels like it's all very closed off or just slow up here this time of year.

So post youtube projects, scripts, ideas. It's good to talk and get critiques and input.

Other urls found in this thread:

drive.google.com/open?id=0B6uwaxNQt5HRSDJBMXB4clloSHM
twitter.com/AnonBabble

If I ever actually finish work on that script of mine I'll let y'all read it.

I can post the little I have but I've not gotten much work on it since the last time I posted.

As for actually making things, I haven't been able to plan and execute anything in a while (the last time I made something was like last year). I need to shoot something soon.

i am saving for a Sony F65

I have a pilot script that I worked on, as of right now I'm letting it sit, I'm too nervous to let my family read it. I gave it to my friend and I don't think he read it past the teaser. Which kinda bummed me out.

Why? What do you have right now?

Why don't you let us see? These tend to be pretty helpful when it comes to critique (if harsh as shit)

I wouldn't mind it, but I don't trust all of you guys, its not a real unique plot, but it would really suck if someone else took it.

I tried to shoot this short movie in our local town about a school shooter / die hard crossover. I got fucking screwed by permits and the school and the teachers after knowing there'd be guns in production (not real guns prop guns) pulled out. I got fucking screwed wasting $12000. this was last year and I'm still trying to claw back from that loss.

tldr: permits / red tape fucked me over

i do not have a camera.

The premise sounds very edgy. How would've you have made it work?

I'm planning on making a surreal short film for my local film fest, I'm excited, next week I'm getting who are interested in getting involved to discuss ideas and plan it all out, although I'd need to like, develop the idea, shoot it and edit it by June, so I don't have a lot of time

The fest might give me some leeway since I've had 2 short films shown there before and I'm friends with the organizer

>I want everyone to inspire and do the work for me

Alright. Well, I'm gonna post mine anyways since I'm still not 100% sure where to go with it and I don't care what anyone else would do with it. I'm far too poor/technically inept to actually shoot it but it'd be a great mid budget thing.

drive.google.com/open?id=0B6uwaxNQt5HRSDJBMXB4clloSHM

Got some minor typo revisions in so that was satisfying.

I've already wrote a rough screenplay but it's good to get other folks input and see what creative ideas they can come up with like dialogue, cinematography and whatnot, and also seeing what roles people wanna do

You realize this will cost you like $150,000 for a full rig, right?

yes, that's the problem

I have quite a few scripts finished, storyboards, camera equip etc. It's just hard to get people to help you make films sometimes. My friends work during the week and the last thing they wanna do on the weekend is work some more. We normally just go drinking instead and waste the opportunity. Feelz bad man. Wish there was a website where you could connect with other local film makers.

Best thing to do is not worry so much about expensive cameras, coz they're not what makes your film quality

Get good sound stuff, buy lighting equipment, and shoot with a dslr and get some cheap vintage glass and pirate a good editor like Premiere

Good sound reecording hardware is probably more important than the camera, coz low quality audio will instantly give away the fact your'e an amateur at filmmaking

I tried putting a small crew together but the project fell apart because the star (guy I wrote the script for) ended up going to rehab and I could never find a producer. Now I don't know wtf to do. Trying to learn photography so I can shoot my own shit and not have it look terrible. But I still don't know how I'm ever going to get anything made.

i pitched my script idea with my crew (about 4 of us) and said hell let's try it out. of course we'd need a school and a school that we knew the layout from so we got our high school's blueprint to plan out the action scenes (like MGS room planning). The school admin was kinda eager to get involved in the movie since we knew him (grew up and he was already the admin) plus school got some new palint and stuff and he wanted to show it off. So, we then checked out the kids looking for so mcnuffin look alike - check. next some russian bad guys (two of my friends are serbs so got that as well) now when we were test filming the last scene where Bruce Willis was limping all blodied , some kid saw the prop gun and tattled to their parents and the teacher. we explained that we were filming an action movie and gun was a prop. too late school admin pulled out of our contract. didn't want to give the school admin a hard time as well since he was such a nice guy but he should have informed the parents and the kids that we'd be shooting an action film i.e with prop guns (he just said some sort of action film)

also similar to this guy, i never went to film school, never had any formal training other than watching some vids and reading about taking shots / scenes. i just shoot and shoot and shoot and edit it later. i do know how to draw so i have a storyboard but picking the shots while editing has been a challenge to me

You can write a shotlist if you can't draw, if you google shotlists you'll see how to structure it, you just need to know basic shot terminology and things

Also a good thing to do is like, if you scout your locations, you can take photos of it to get ideas of what you can use when composing your shot

I went to film school for about 6 months and quit. It had quite a bit of fluff and not much practical hands on film making (atleast at the start). Also it costs a fuck load. Overall I would say it's not worth the time / money but it is extremely helpful being around other wanna be film makers.

I feel it. I have this small one-page thing that I made for the sole purpose of just getting it done, and I had a location and a small cast, but every time I try to actually do it everybody has conflicts or I can't do it for some reason, it fucks up every time.

just do it bro. its a huge learning experience

I know, but it's hard coordinating everyone's schedules. I might just set a date and call whoever's free that day.

Also I'm gonna be shooting almost entirely on an iPhone since I have a DJI Osmo and I don't want it to go to waste.

>iphone

gonna be straight up on you bro, but shooting on phone is a bad idea. i tried to do this budget wise but i was never satisfied with the quality and lighting. it sucked. at least use a dslr

Like I said, I don't want a good gimbal to go to waste.

Plus FiLMiC Pro is paired with it so I can get the functionality of a DSLR at least. The quality of picture I've found (at least while scouting the location and testing shots) is sufficient enough.

The real bitch is gonna be audio.

bump

Made a short film in film school, did pretty well so some teachers approached me asking if they could help turn it into a web series. That was 2 years 3 producers, 6 writers an editor and DOP later we've written out most of the series and now just looking for money to create it. I think it's pretty good.

I'll clarify that we didn't go through 3 producers etc, it's just who we gathered. The good thing is the DOP's (my girlfriend) dad is also a DOP and also hires out equipment, so we have all the equipment, we just need funding for makeup, food, props and potentially location.

I'm thinking of picking up an entry level DSLR for mostly video, some photos.

Any recs? I heard canon is good for budget options.

fuck off

That's great if you're an aspiring filmmaker, but honestly I don't know why anyone would want to let it be known they associate with this website. The people who spam their soundclouds over at Sup Forums make me cringe so hard.

easily the best film website

>cheap vintage glass
For what?
>Get good sound stuff, buy lighting equipment
Any suggestions?
>Good sound reecording hardware is probably more important than the camera, coz low quality audio will instantly give away the fact your'e an amateur at filmmaking
How do I sound record

Whats your budget? Remember that a good lense on a cheap camera will provide better footage than the reverse

>For what?
Vintage lenses are often times cheaper than modern ones, you need an adapter but it can still be cheaper. Keep in mind that there is some lose of quality but at this stage it shouldn't matter.

Get a rode mic and cheap 10 dollar clamp lights. Search youtube for tutorials on how to record audio for dslr.

>vintage glass
No. The vintage glass shit is a meme, and a really terrible one too that needs to stop.

MOST vintage glass is fucking terrible. You're better off shooting with the kit lens. Good vintage lenses will cost just as much as new lenses, and even then you're better off buying something new of good quality.

>lose of quality
No. If there is no glass in the adapter there is no loss of IQ, the lenses just suck. You do lose infinity focus though, so that is worth remembering, kiddo.