Can someone give me some advice/motivation to stick with Tekken 7?

Can someone give me some advice/motivation to stick with Tekken 7?

It's just so hard for me to even learn, and it's so overwhelming with how much depth it has in its battle system.

Don't get me wrong, I play a few fighting games;
>best at Smash
>pretty damn good at Soul Calibur
>competent / slightly above avg for Dragonball FighterZ and MvC2

So I'm not understanding why my fighting game knowledge isn't carrying over from those games into Tekken at all, and I'm so laughably bad that I can barely finish the arcade mode (if I don't ragequit) and only got stuck on that fight with that Italian dude in story mode.

It's honestly so discouraging to keep at it, spending hours learning from noob tutorials only to feel like I'm not learning shit.
I feel bad my friend bought this for me and I'm starting to feel even worse for paying for a DLC character I can barely use because I suck dick af this game.

Anyone have any tips or words of encouragement?

>git gud scrub

I'm well aware I'm a scrub, pls no bully

Attached: 670effa4256a6d0c53335de9da574d17165b92e8.jpg (616x353, 29K)

Just noticed I got dubs, 7's no less in this Tekken 7 thread

Attached: received_603212920125630(1).gif (342x342, 501K)

Fighting games are for retards

How so?

They have some of the best and chillest communities, you can meet rivals who push you to get better at the game, and the thrill of battle and taste of victory is there.

Tbh, this may be a logical fallacy of some kind, but the only people I notice who hate/dislike fighting games are people who can't be bothered to learn em and suck at em

Attached: T7TaC_d.jpg (365x500, 18K)

u seem like ur gaaayayaayy

I thought summer ended, guess not

im byakko paul and akuma so im not that good but it's literally just things that a youtube video wont teach you you wont learn when to sidestep from a youtube video no matter how many times someone explains it, you have to just get the feel for the game and know what frames most moves are

Movement is so hard for me to get down, and holding back to guard really trips me up a lot.

I've been practicing my backdash cancels for like an hour, and it's 50/50 at best.

But man, I'll keep trying, i just feel like no matter how much I play I end up defaulting to the basic combos (pressing one button for a string) because I can't seem to make good use of moves and strategies due to movement.

Not trying to make excuses for not gittinggud, just telling my challenges

who do you main? I'm pretty new at tekken too, started when sf5 came out cause it was such a sack of shit. i would reccomend starting with kazuya, learn how to do 3 korean back dashes in a row (any more is mostly pointless) learn how to wavedash and to do a deep wavedash (hold down forward)and learn mechanics, his df1 4 will let you convert from almost anything midair jab connect, low parry, counterhit df2. focus on defense and punishment. even if you don't do a full combo, getting the right starting move for it is more important in improving.

doing electrics in training mode isfun as fuck, he's an easy character for a beginner with short easy to remember combos, so you can focus on movement and the mind aspect rather than learning all these fuckin strings and shit.

the game withh actually autoblock mids and highs if you let go of the stick, extremely important to use this as trying to block with back and then do a move that requires adirectional input will fuck you up so often.

I've watched like 10 Tekken basics videos so while I kinda understand what you're saying, I only understood like 3/4 of that, sorry lol

But right now I'm trying to main Noctis; tho whenever I play friends and don't want to come off as a tryhard my go-to guy is usually Lee.

If that character is user friendly then I'll be sure to give it a shot, the roster is so big, so out of the 10 or so characters I tried I can't seem to find a very user friendly character that feels easy to use

I learned that early on, and I think it's more of a me thing, fucking that up because I'm constantly moving and trying (maybe too hard) to be not so predictable

Attached: 482A92F5-9E20-404F-9E2B-2977AD5BBEBC.png (861x552, 605K)

If you weren't playing during the tekken 5 days, you won't be good at tekken 7 now. If you play tekken 7 consistently, you'll be good by tekken 9. More than any other fighting franchise, tekken is about legacy skill. Everything you're complaining about, just practice like any other fighting game. The only difference is the barrier for entry is so much higher. You're not bad, I'm sure. You're not doing anything wrong. You just can't expect to be good at tekken because it's really been the same for well over a decade and the standard for "good" is much higher because of that.
Also, scrubs don't have "mains." You don't get a main until you're proficient at every character. Pretending you have a main when you have no experience with 2/3 the roster will only slow your progress.

Easy OP, just take a gamepad instead of your racing wheel.

That actually makes a lot of sense, and I don't want to be that good lol, i just want to be competent and understand wtf I'm doinf which is proving to be difficult

And trust me, I'm sticking with 1 character (unless advised to do otherwise) because I don't want to fracture my knowledge across the board.
I did that initially before I got Noctis, but now that I have him he's by far the most appealing character to me and the only one I really plan on gitting gud with.

Didn't some dude take out a top Tekken player with a steering wheel?

I remember playing Tekken 3 and 5. Good game.

if you're trying to lean tekken, i wouldn't ecommend using noctis as his moveset is way different than most of the cast, lee is a really cool characte but can be hard to play because of his stances and shit. i would seriously try just playing kazuya for a few weeks, the game is so dense, that as a newbie its impossible to learn the game while playing more than 1 character, you need so much muscle memory (of the moveset) to be able to do the most basic of things. don't worry too much about learning match ups, but if you play online and get hit by a certain move a lot, write down what limb the move is (so u can find out what it's called from the movelist) (1 is left hand 2 is right hand)3 is left leg 4 is right leg 3+4 is both) then
practice blocking/ducking and punishing that move or string. one that alwaysgets me is brians sweep, but with a bit of practice i can now block it on reaction more than half the time.

I'll differ to you on this one and try Kazuya for at least a week; tho tbh I do plan on eventually going back to Noctis as he's kinda the only reason I'm playing Tekken 7 currently, but I am aware that picking a character that kinda functions differently from everyone else can throw off the learning experience, so I'll definitely keep that in mind and try to start from a foundation so I understand the game more

Thanks for the advice!

Also, since I got you here (if you're still around); you said that Tekken is a legacy game and one you kinda grow into overtime through multiple games to build that skill

Would it personally anger you if they lowered the bar for entry for more people to play in their next title?
Would that ruin the point of Tekken?

Just curious.

Yeah man, best advice from me is to drop and forget Tekken and move forward into superior fighting games, Street fighter or mk11

not that guy but i personally think changing or dumbing down any aspect of the game would ruin it, the only thing that should be changed is the backdashing, theres no reason for a basic movement to be so hard to execute, especially with hitboxes making it so easy to do, it would even the playing field for us plebs if backdashing multiple times could be mashed out like in street fighter. but as far as limiting the moveset or anything like that it wouldn't make the game that much moe accessible but it would make the game less deep and limit playstyles.

I love watching Street Fighter but have 0 interest playing it tbh

And MK is gonna get a hard pass from me

You can't play Law and spam flip? That's what I did in tekken lul

That is indeed a fair point

I've played Law a few times, he's pretty neat ngl

play with eddie gordo, nigger

Eddie has cool moves but he looks complicated af

There are overlaps between certain characters and their fight styles. Raven/Yoshimitsu, Lin/Wang, kayuza/Jin/heihachi... It's mostly in which martial art they are trained in, but the more You use them the more You will notice the overlaps. Google character martial art training to see the pairs. There are a few outliers who dont come in pairs, like steve, learning steve is just learning steve... But learning any of heihachi's style is also sorta learning his kids and grandkids style.

Mostly comes down to practice, like other anons have said. Once You have the control basics, start watching and replicating "juggles" on Youtube, that is the biggest opportunity to capitalise on causing damage without interruption and what separates the beginners from the more veteran players. Atleast, juggles will lead to easier perfect rounds against newbies.

Just play soul Cal. It's the more enjoyable 3d fighter imo, always has been

Shut the fuck up. Honestly. This type of sentiment is pretty dead in fighting games.
Obviously there is an advantage to playing a legacy game over the series, but in these late itterations you can very easily catch up and play at a top level.
If you play massive ft10 sets every day like the Pakistani scene does, you'll get as powerful as they are. That's all it takes. Start learning the most common situations, their answers on your character, and grind a ton of purposeful practice.
Fighting games only take one person working harder then the rest to catch up.

Attached: toad.jpg (225x225, 11K)

For OP's concern on characters, Noctis is by far one of the best characters for beginners. He's a lot like Shaheen in having a few really solid tools that you leverage to win.
You can just stick to him, Shaheen, or if you care about learning someone specific, just learn them and invest the time.
The best character for you and the best way to learn to play Tekken or any fighting game will be to keep playing and have an interest in improvement.
If you stop playing, stop looking up more high level resources (aris guides, pro player guides, other community head guides, etc) you'll never improve anyways. So just play what you think you want to end up playing, learn the systems and how situations play out, and learn how to put pressure on your opponent.

Useful info, thanks!

I do like SoulCal more and always will but I really want to get into Tekken too lol

Thanks for the words of encouragement, afterall I'm not going to get any better just watching shit, gotta actually put in thay practice time

Thank you for the advice! I was looking at some vids at a lot of people were sahing Noctis is stupid easy while Kazuya is incredibly advanced (and honestly I got scared, but I'm not super into Kazuya anyway)

The reason Mishima's are difficult is just added execution on top of relying on fundamentals that take a lot to apply.
You could pick any character you wanted though. I played Master Raven and Leo when I learned. I think both are really interesting and both are super solid at top level as well.
All about what keeps you playing.
I think Aris and some of the pro's have good tier lists with explanations too

Don't know i only play ryona faggot

Aight, here's some advice:
>don't be discouraged by getting your ass kicked
>focus on small victories
>don't get stuck on a single mechanic
>just play games and try to get a feel for Tekken, maybe learn one basic combo
>movement is going to be important, but not a big deal when starting out
>pick a character by appeal, not difficulty, playing is gonna fucking suck if you go with a character you don't like
>don't bother much with practice mode until you know what specific things to lab

tl;dr play game, have fun, don't get depressed because you get destroyed

Attached: IMG_20191016_235426.jpg (500x374, 32K)

Been playing tekken since ps1.

watch youtube "bread and butter combos" for whoever youre playing. learn them by heart.

If blocking is tripping you up because of holding back, youre going to have to just spam games vs cpu until thats not a problem...

Other than that. I would suggest learning what moves are safer / riskier. risky moves are fun and flashy but even a half decent player will launch punish on block most risky shit gl bro

Also OP, Dont worry about KBD.... thats so far away from being a concern its not even funny. You should be focusing on blocking and punishing. If you can block every attack and punish perfectly you would be the greatest tekken player in the world. no need for KBD or wide walking or anything. its just mega hard. Really get to work on blocking. I think its very hard for new players because theres so many characters and a lot of mids look like lows and lows can look like mids. Tekken is pretty much the king of being Grandfathered in...

I remember playing Tekken 1 and Battle Arena Toshinden on PS1. In BAT you could map specials to the shoulder buttons, but I didn't tell anyone so I was essentially unbeatable.
I have Tekken 7, but really hate the gay super move when you're gonna die shit, just play bowling instead

Attached: vlcsnap-2012-09-16-21h06m04s47.png (720x540, 606K)