Cyberpunk Dead

Whenever a cyberpunk movie like Dredd or Ghost in the Shell come out they always flop hard. Why does the mainstream audience hate the genre so much? Will Blade Runner be our savior?

Dredd was actually a faithful adaptation and well made movie that was hurt by poor advertising and release. It was completely the fault of the studio/distributors.

GiTS meanwhile was not a faithful adaptation, it was a niche series that was taking heat from fans because the pick for Motoko. Fans that otherwise would've spread the word about how great the giTS universe is and sold more tickets.

With the success of Dredd on DVD if Dredd 2 were made it would likely do very well. Dredd doesn't even need flashy CGI it could quite easily be a fucking awesome series on Netflix.

>Dredd doesn't even need flashy CGI
They can't afford to do Mega City 1. The best you could hope for with Dredd 2 is a Cursed Earth flick. In other words a lower budget Mad Max with Judge Dredd instead of Mad Max. Or another "Judge Dredd vs 100 niggers in an apartment" movie. No thanks. They should make a cartoon series instead. Unlike other comic IPs Judge Dredd really lends itself to an episodic format.

Hollywood is making flops now, that's their business model.

>People actually wanted to see an ugly gook play the hot peice of ass that was major

So what it's purpose now? Laundering money?

>thinking Asian women aren't sexy
You're definitely not a WN. I'm partly serious here.

I guess, I don't know their fuckin endgame. They're in tight with the financiers (bankers) and shit so who knows what they're targetting?

they should make this movie free for everyone in the world put it on youtube netflix hulu etc etc.

its a great movie and it will create a huge fanbase if only more people knew it fucking exists

>They can't afford to do Mega City 1
They have oodles of do$h from capeshit and continue to pump out shit no one wants. They can do it but they don't want to

Warner is run by the CIA my nigga

Honestly? I think Bladerunner will flop. Modern audiences find cyberpunk cliche and aren't interested. People look at Ghost in the Shell and think "been there, done that"

It's literally all the same when they shit it out. Big flashy cgi with a flat story. I hope the writers guild goes on strike and they all starve for how shit they are. They've been dead since 2007.

Stop spreading this lie. The reason the pick wasn't liked was because Scarlett Johansson is trash, not because she wasn't Asian

That and their attempt to CGI her more azn bringing the whole whitewashing thing up in the first place.

Audiences aren't bored they're just tired of shit that was clearly made to exploit nostalgia and monetize on their brands. It's obvious the new gits isn't art, ironically there's no expression here or soul to the project. That synthetic assembly line Scarjo celebrity vehicle bullshit is what people are tired of, not good stories. It's the same reason why a sequel to Blade Runner featuring a wheezing Harrison Ford will flop.

Seriously though, how do we stop the yellow fever among "white nationalists"? I don't understand the virgin meme about them, they are just slashing chinks on the regular.

Well, most people aren't as smart as you and dont give a shit about any of that. In fact, most people probably assume gits is an original IP, much to your frustration no doubt. It wasn't a popular enough IP to sell tickets and its not good enough to spread word of mouth.

That's a Sup Forums meme that came after blackedening. Probly CTR slideshit. Completely unrelated to making a decent movie.

dredd isn't cyberpunk and neither is blade runner

future dystopia ≠ cyberpunk

>Audiences aren't bored they're just tired of shit that was clearly made to exploit nostalgia and monetize on their brands
what is every movie ever made

Because it sucks.

No.

But both Dredd and Judge Dredd before it were cyberpunk, you're just wrong now.

No it isn't. This "no such thing as originality" bullshit is twenty years out of date, only Hollywood multiplex movie fanboys still believe in it because Hollywood is in decline and they daren't face it.

>tfw appleseed alpha flopped

was genuinely good for an animated flick

i don't remember any hacking at all

Well you remember poorly. There was an nmap.

don't worry, Duncan Jones will save cyberpunk kino, like he saved vidya kino before

>appeal of sci fi is speculative escapism
>reality is racing towards a cyberpunk dystopia
>no more escapism

I think this is it. Also, it's old hat. Plebs don't want more than one Star Wars, they don't want more than one Star Trek, they don't want more than one Interstellar and maybe they don't want more than one Cyberpunk.

Do you not understand the simplest concepts of investment?

Cyberpunk is really dead and buried if its only hope is the despised sequel to the decade.

Maybe there's a vague hope for the genre for a Matrix reboot, but chances are it will also suck.

Sorry but Blade Runner 2 WILL FLOP. The original movie flopped hard in 1982 and it only made a bit of money back because it was put out on video cassette a few weeks later because nobody cared about it. Also back in the early 80's video was a new thing and there weren't that many films to watch so that helped the movie make some money back. Blade Runner is just a cult movie with ZERO mainstream appeal and nobody is going to watch a Harrison Ford movie these days.

Yeah, the good parts of cyberpunk are basically banned from studio execs because they hate humans. It can flop for all sorts of reasons though.

It's the same reason why Get Out got over so huge. It was way different.

but bladerunner is like the original cyberpunk.
Its plot is literally driven by technology.

its a new Sup Forums meme to shit on cyberpunk that isn't directly about hackers.

the audience don't think cyberpunk is cliche... they think cliche are cliche. not the same thing. if you rehash the same fucking stories again and again you can't get the audience to get it up, it's normal.

why is cyberpunk the SAME FUCKING SHIT EVERYTIME?

>main character is a cop/law enforcer/detective/cyborg/spy
>retarded le epic blue color grading
>someone goes rogue/someone dies
>main character's job is to find out what happens
>le epic visual spinning cameras
>japanese stuff on buildings everyfuckingtime, even if movie is set in a western country
>ambiguity about main character's past
>bad guy is some corporate entity/ai/rogue individual/hackerman
>ends with a 1 on 1 fight

thats a lot of different things to be, lots of which are inaccurate. Of course lots of the later stuff is literally just copying 90s stuff which doesn't work now

Gosling is why BR2 will flop!!!FACT!!!

i forgot that this movie is supposed to come out this year

Hollywood is desperate and will greenlight ANYTHING that has brand name recognition. This is because the marketing departments run the studios and they don't know how to market anything that the public doesn't already know about!!!FACT!!!

Except Dredd didn't flop because it was a shit film, it flopped because nobody knew about it and it had an awful name Dredd... 3D!!!.

When people realised it was a good film, it sold loads in blu-ray.

>GiTS meanwhile was not a faithful adaptation
I thought it was pretty faithful in many ways, especially in keeping the core concepts of the series intact and in capturing the vibe of the 1995 movie. It just executed things differently, represented some concepts in a new way and changed the pacing.