The expanse

>the expanse
How can this get so much right and be so boring?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=f2gii2nenUg
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

politics and social issues

BSG did that and nailed it. it russles my jimmies to see people call it the next BSG

Serious charisma deficiency. Amos and Avarasala or even the OPA guy could be cute minor characters but the lack of a couple of charismatic actors in leading roles (Holden, I'm looking at you) really hurts it.

Also doesn't help that the story kills off the only guy that accomplished it in Thomas Jane (playing Miller, who was also a more interesting character overall, if familiar or even cliché) who isn't exactly a movie star and still stood head and shoulders above the rest, only to replace him with the really hammy martian muhreen.

It's a shame, really. The foundation is rock solid and a little more panache could've made this a big fucking hit.

Because they didn't directly reference current events. Yes, the hunt for cylons was clearly inspired by the red scare and the fear of muslim terrorism but they didn't beat you over the head with their message.

Redpill me on this show
is it worth watching?

Best sci-fi show on tv, hands down. If you like that kind of shit, then yes.

This is true but unfortunately TV sci-fi is so shit, it doesn't mean much.

Still, it is worth a watch. Solid plot and production values, mediocre acting talent, social/political intrigue and NO FUCKING CHEESE like most tv sci-fi. Overall solid show.

>BSG did that and nailed it.
BSG also made a complete fucking mess of its religious subplot so there's that.

Shut your whore mouth Chrisjen carries the whole show

I'm on ep 5 and i really don't get where this is going. i hope there's a payoff soon because i'm fuckin bored, and i love sci-fi

>Thomas Jane
Am i the only one who almost didn't recognize him? I blame the stupid hat.
Depending on how much they condensed the plot, he will probably be back by the end of the season or the middle of the next.

>Am i the only one who almost didn't recognize him?

The rest of us have eyes and can read his name in the opening, which you should have at least watched once since it looks great.

There's really no excuse.

Anyone have the webm of thicc chick beating le ebil general in the last episode?

She's the most interesting character and she does a good job in it but we both know that's a complete exaggeration. The production values carry the show.

what do you want, OP? car crashes? more explosions? titty shots? drunk twenty-somethings riding shopping carts down hills and into the ocean?

monster trucks, right? you want monster trucks. so go watch the friggin' monster truck channel.

>Also doesn't help that the story kills off the only guy that accomplished it in Thomas Jane (playing Miller
... read the books.

Eh, Jane isn't exactly Hollywood royalty. How is it so hard to believe someone wouldn't recognize a leading dude from a couple of moderately successful mid-budget movies?

The books are irrelevant for the show's problems. And regardless that he comes back you still have most of a season without him or anyone else to pick up his pace.

For you.

It has nice visuals a few good moments, but imo it's just boring as fuck with really bad casting

for everyone, not a single person has ever finished bsg for the first time and gone, 'well that finished it all off beautifully', no every single person ever has gone 'WHAT THE FUCK? SHES AN ANGEL, THEIR ANGELS FUCK THIS NOISE

well that does mean he hasn't seen punisher or the mist, I mean he really shouldn't even be here

b-but it is not boring user.

Its a little boring, Amos and Alex and drapers ass make it worth it though

>kills the only aryan actor
>show become boring

really jogs my noggins

*tips fedora*

yea ok last five minutes sucked newfag, also crashing their ships in the sun dumb af

Good plot. Not very interesting characters.

>crashing their ships in the sun dumb af

The only thing that pissed me off desu.

at first i wasnt on board with the samoan
but after those last two episodes
BOBBY A CUTE

it was that and starbuck that pissed me off, mostly starbuck, it was literally,
>can't think of what to do
>how to explain starbuck
>fuck it shes an angel
goddamn still angry

>BSG did that and nailed it.
it didn't. the plebpraised Adama and every else made loads of retarded """"strategy""" move.

not that user but wtf did you just say about Adama?

>have literal orgasm when dude plots a gravity assist minimal thrust course around 5 jovian moons

>he comes around a moon and sees an enemy ship
>he just kinda reverses thrust and slips back behind the moon

seems like every time it gets something right it gets something else completely wrong.

>Also doesn't help that the story kills off the only guy that accomplished it in Thomas Jane (playing Miller, who was also a more interesting character overall, if familiar or even cliché) who isn't exactly a movie star and still stood head and shoulders above the rest, only to replace him with the really hammy martian muhreen.
This really. The books live and die on the strength of their characters. Book 2 is widely considered great, and Bobby IN THE BOOKS is a beloved POV character. Bobby in the books has her shit together.

Bobby in the show is whiny, petulant, and does not have her shit together. At all. Also she has an Australian accent for some really weird reason.

Anyway, the last episodes continual tweaking of events for no good reason has killed any expectation of the show recovering. It's bizarre to see a show go from great to shit in one season, but not totally unexpected. It just makes the first season all the more amazing, for being so good.

Fair enough on Mist but the other Jane staple is Thursday, not Punisher.

>but the other Jane staple is Thursday, not Punisher.

>not Deep Blue Sea

Surrounded by plebsharks

calm down children both thursday and deep blue sea are pure Janecore

I know right, it's not like it's rocket science!

It isn't boring though, you ultra pleb

Expect more of this shit going forward.

It's aggravating, especially after the first season's slavish, almost diabolic attention to detail.

he's an incompetent retarded old faggot

thats just mean, he was competent for at least 3 seasons and a couple more eps after that

Book 2 is considered great? It's practically the same plot as Book 1, but with endless boring bullshit on Ganymede, and Avasarala doing jackshit for most of a book.

Not only is the guy a terrible actor and a charisma vacuum, he has an extremely punchable face. I don't particularly like any of the actors for the crew of the Roci, not even Amos, but this guy makes the rest of them look like Oscar winners.

I liked it a lot, idk. Aside from Prax and his boring-ass chapters it was great. Avasarala is awesome, don't be a hater. She literally does more in that book than she has done all season in the show.

Also Ashur is like the LAST dude I would have pictured as her head of security, this dude is just way too slimy for me.

Book Rankings so far:

Leviathan Wakes
Nemesis Games
Cibola Burn
Caliban's War
Abaddon's Gate

>nemesis 2nd
nigger that book practically put me to sleep. If it wasn't for Amos weathering the apocalypse it would have been the worse thing ever.

Her head of security sucked ass in the book though. Pointless

ASHUR PROVIDES

this, I understand now why they did aris and I hope they do something similar again, jane was the only worth belter oh and that chick that works for nigger general

>me on the left

sure, but since they are making him a composite character of that dude and her traitorous first assistant, couldn't they have found someone less gross?

or perhaps that's the whole point, Bobby will unmask him in some dramatic fashion that demures from the book and winds up being even less plausible

Why can't he just be a chill security guy

It suffers from the "we need an action beat every 10 minutes or the dumb american audience will lose focus" syndrome. Same reason behind Bobbie beating her superior officer into a pulp.

Getting to know more about the crew's background, and the Earth getting blown up was the most interesting paradigm shift since the introduction of the protomolecule. Personally I think Cibola Burn and Abaddon's gate are tied for worst. Only really interesting parts of them were the stuff with the aliens.

they cast a meme actor which means they intend to either make the character a foil in a dramatic twist, or keep him on as a protagonist sidekick in later seasons

i suspect the former because ashur was a huge cunt

Bullshit. Most episodes have at most one or two action beats.

Not the Expanse visual team's finest moment. But they've done a lot of great work so I'll let it slide.

what makes him a meme actor?

jupiter's cock

>everyone knows him as ashur
>ashur was a huge cunt
>cunts in spartacus were memeable

Why do you guys hate holden?

eyebrow game too strong
why does he always make this face?

Honestly I am struggling to care much about the Expanse universe without watching Thomas Jane stumbling through it. It's not the people who made the show's fault, it's just how the story goes, but it was better with him in it.

I don't, its bookfags they think he isn't what they pictured in the books, kinda annoying no-one is ever going to be what you imagine when reading something, he was kinda flat last season, much better this one tho

maybe his eyes are really dry

>recycler is too loud
>my feet hurt
>wish i was on the roci right now

after GoT and season 10 of The Expanse ends:
>movies with twins remade with Holden and John Snow
Double Dynamite
Legend
Jack and Jill
Man in the iron mask

They need to make him more like Ashur to help fix the charisma void

bookfag here, I can't believe they aren't going to end the season with "We need to talk", but they really need to make the investigator the focus of season 3. otherwise there's nothing to keep me watching: it's no longer miller time; they're only half-assing the autistic accuracy to life in space, therefore i'm out.

Would you a belter?

real sci-fi is supposed to be boring.

Space is boring as shit.

belters are qt, tho
I'm just afraid not to brake their bones during snuggle time

>Australian

it's new zealander ya egg
youtube.com/watch?v=f2gii2nenUg

Just need some OsteoX

>space is boring as shit
true, yet my favorite moments from season 1 were all the dumb little details no one gives a shit about

>julie's hair in the very first episode
>coriolis effect when miller pours a drink
>the scene in the ship bay of the Donagger when Holden uses Naomi as reaction mass during zero-g.

practically had a heart attack at that last one; i thought the dawn of spacekino was upon us

you forgot
>i need a proper coffee

>BSG did that and nailed it

No, it did not. Not even in the slightest. Everything about BSG was pandering to violence, personal relationship drama, and sex. Did you not fucking watch it at all? It was merely a toned down GoT in space. Fuck, the original series was better than it, from a script perspective.

it's the "i'm acting" face

that course would've taken literal months to complete

I fucking hate belters
so maybe hate fuck

cibola is def the worst, its literally belter terrorist din do nuffin. Thank god for the ayy stuff or the whole book would have been a write-off

none of this shit happens in the books of course

in the books he just shotguns that shit, because he's a crazy motherfucker

He was boring in the books so im not surprised hes boring in the show

Religious plots always turn out bad. There is a reason deus ex machina is looked down upon.

He has awful posture, he can't stand straight in any scene. "Steven Strait" more like "Steven Crooked"

Main cast all sucks. Holden/negress can't act.

Amos is a shit character. Alex is okay.

it wasn't any deus ex machina, the plot was resolved it was just shitty tying off lose ends, cause they didn't have season 4 properly planed

Hella

F*ckin

Epic

He could be watching 13 Reasons right there on those sunglasses and nobody would be the wiser
Just think about that

I'm almost convinced they're somehow going to end this season with "We need to talk.". They have to.

can you faggots stop spoiling shit? you realize this is why these threads are always so dead between eps right?

>BSG wasn't deus ex machina
Are you fucking kidding me? They took a magical jump that brought them right to Earth, humans magically evolved there too, and Starbuck turned out to be A LITERAL ANGEL!

hehehehe

nah at least that was kinda setup with the eye and the 5 tapped in, she had been having visions of her dad, and that one cylon always thought she was special, going with, so she just vanished guess she was an angel ever since that accident, instead of just having it be shes getting messages same as baltar and roslin, but no cause their was too much shit to tie up so they went for the easy shit option, caprica and baltar ghosts were setup as something maybe angels, starbuck wasn't, writers strike fucked with s4, deny it all you want

>no FUCKING CHEESE

you're gonna say like that don't constantly use the word Belter? Do you know how retarded that sounds?

yeah

>earther instead of Terran