The color saturation of Alien: Covenant is awful and needs to be fixed!

There is something really bugging me about Alien: Covenant and it's the color saturation.

I was in the cinemas before when the Alien: Covenant trailer played. The trailer before that was the Fate of the Furious. That had perfect color saturation. But as soon as Alien: Covenant played after, it was as if the color was drained 70% on the cinema screen.

If you are reading this Ridley Scott, PLEASE get your film editor to fix up the color saturation because it seriously is so drained. You have probably been doing nothing but looking at the movie nonstop while editing so of course you may think it looks fine but seriously, you and your editor go and watch another movie and then watch Alien: Covenant. There is a MASSIVE difference in the color!

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=gtktg9hbC_g
hifi-writer.com/he/bdreviews/matrix.htm
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

I hate her stupid fucking face

LOOK at all this color while Ridley filmed the movie! Absolute perfection!

Get your editor to put a timeline layer underneath all the scenes and color balance the whole movie.

You don't need your movie to be color drained because it's a horror. Alien 1979 wasn't color drained.

I know this looks like shit but it's hard to put back natural colors on a lossy format.

Holy shit that's amazing. How did you do that?

Only editing software I have is Filmora and idk how to proprely re-colorize a movie

This is all I got on my editing software as pic related shows.

I'm using photoshop. Easier to color correct a screenshot than video, I guess. But I've never edited video.

But color grading is cruise control for cool.

>waaah the color grading doesn't look natural waaaaaahhh

That's the point of color grading.
I'm not saying this specific grade looks good, but it makes no sense to make every single movie look "as natural as possible" with the most eye pleasing balanced contrast and saturation.

>Easier to color correct a screenshot than video
not if you have after effects

Bonus round: if Alien was made today

I think the point is Alien didn't need any of this nonsense to be both good and very atmospheric. So it can be done without following some dubious style trend, if what they really cared about was making a good movie (as opposed to just milking a dead franchise)

is the second frame something you made yourself or did ridley scott wreck alien on one of the video releases?

I'm not defending this particular shot but color grading in general.

Taking screenshots of already color graded films and turning them to what you think is the most natural color pallete is absurd.
You wouldn't try to regrade Matrix to a natural balanced set of colors instead of the green, would you?

This thread isn't about color grading in general.

ITT: Marvel fans trying to watch other movies

Did it myself, but wouldn't surprise me if there's some blu-ray edition that looks close to that.

Matrix had a fairly balanced color palette in its original release. Then the sequels were tinted green and they re-edited the original to look green too. So, bad example.

I think color grading should enhance the atmosphere rather than be a substitute for atmosphere.

People like you know nothing about color and light.

Aliens like LOTR suffered the "Blue Filter" when re released on blu ray

it's so gender non-binary/non-gmo/#imwithhillary/bland it hurts

Where can I watch the non green filtered Matrix?

The Matrix gets a pass though in my opinion. It's all set inside a computer simulation so the green tint can kind of make a subconscious reminder that its not the real world. I can't remember if it's still tinted green once they get unplugged though, if it is, then I would only de-filter those scenes.

I found this
youtube.com/watch?v=gtktg9hbC_g

this!

And you do? Give me a break.

Original DVD release.

This one compares the blu-ray to the dvd, but they focus mostly on the quality (and of course dvd looks like shit in comparison) but it shows the difference in tones. You can see the bluray is green where the dvd is not, including scenes inside the matrix world

Oh nice, I own the original 1999 or 2000 release or whatever year that was.

The 1999 DVD version

>mfw they made Morpheus more black on the blu ray version

By "this one" I meant hifi-writer.com/he/bdreviews/matrix.htm

The original DVD release also let's you watch the movie with the isolated music score (something that the special editions DVD set and blu ray set got rid of)

Speaking of color, the production pics of lotr looked way gorgeous than the actual movie.

>dvd looks like shit in comparison

I watch plenty of DVDS on my HD upscaler. Works pretty well enough, especially since my TV isn't very close to where I sit, since it is so fucking big.

i quite like the colour balance look they're going for. not every movie has to be sunshine and rainbows or look like it.

Not blue enough, I think.

Well to be fair, Matrix is a bit of an exception as the green filters were used for the scenes set in the matrix.

As for this movie, they did go a little overboard with the colour grading but so did they with Prometheus, which had this unnatural blueish filter thoughout the whole movie, it's nothing really new.
Even the derelict ship scenes in the original Alien movie have unnatural blue filters (although it's hard to define what's natural on an alien planet)... but maybe that's just on the recent bluray release? Not sure.

Haven't seen those in a while, but I'm wondering how much of that was afterthought fuckery

Anyone able to try and get the background here to appear less green and more of a natural kitchen look?

Yeah, but was I was mentioning earlier they overdid the effect for blu-ray release, long after the movie had been released.

Pic related, green tint blu-ray vs original color dvd. The difference is glaring.

the blu ray color grading for the extended edition is so fucking shit. wtf was jackson thinking

> The color saturation is awful
> sperglords

Even Jurassic Park wasn't invisible from the suffering of re colorization

that is just horrendous. i can't defend that

See how great this looks? Yes I am using the Phantom Menace as an example and Jar Jar Binks is here so calm your fuel but just look at all the color on their faces? Natural look and nothing is blue or green filtered.

Sam Raimi's Spiderman 1 also has a perfect color look with everything in its natural state.

This is how movies used to look. No horrible filters.

>nothing is green filtered

look at the background retard have u ever seen a forest look like that

I may be wrong, but it seems for this scene they might have actually used pale blue to light it up. And I think that should be the way to go: if you want a scene to have a blue tone, find a way to integrate blue light into the set. Just don't then go ahead and turn it green in post-production like Suicide Squad did here.

why does blu-ray add that filter tho

this has actually been brought up before. Lucas is probably totally insane at this point but his colors were never washed out or fucked up with the exception of some of the CGI heavy scenes.

Yes, because they didn't do it with the original movie but started doing it with Reloaded. So they just went back and changed the original movie to make it fit with the rest of the trilogy.
Whether it was a good or a bad decision is another matter but at least there's a reason for it as it highlights the fact those scenes are set in a virtual world...whereas there's no valid reason to do it with movies like LOTR.

This actually gives the movie a 90's vibe for some reason. nice

That's not recolorization that's the effect of large blue-white floodlights.
See the reflections of it on the folds of his coat and the foliage behind him?

I think it's because the bottom of a blu ray disc is blue so it tints the light

Because if they didn't, they'd be called natural-ray.

>mfw HD DVD was actually secretly better quality and now we will never know

If the editors actually did their job properly, all you do is bring all the colors and texture more of a richer feel without changing the filter at all

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

The blue filter in fellowship of the ring was there by design to work as a subtle undertone of "hope" or some shit like that.

Question: how do editors learn about how exactly to edit the color? I am sure the color theory they learn goes beyond just "orange and blue".

who's urban rock?

I miss color in movies. Color and light. What happened? Why is everything desaturated, blue and dead?

Lucas may be an awful storyteller and an even worse writer but technically speaking he pushed Hollywood like no one else before.
Yes I'm also including Orson Welles in that sentence, for better or for worse is something worth debating but the effect ILM had on action movies and special effects changed the way movies are made.

>"What are you talking about there is still col......"

>zack snyder
stop picking on special needs kids user, you're making me uncomfortable.

There is a fan made "restored" version floating around. Has a few neat features like the workprint soundtrack where a lot of the music isn't present.

even two towers is not spared this faggotry, though it is not as horrid as it was in fellowship

The way Snyder made Justice League really pisses me off with the filter so I HAVE to share it.

Can anyone somehow fix this horrible blue and orange?

>implying that's not kino

>editors
>doing anything with the color grade

why am I still surprised that most of this board is just bunch of clueless ignorant plebeians

DC universe: constant thunderstorms & abandoned streets

I made this for the webm thread

Funny, I was gonna download the LOTR trilogy these days and now I see they did a George Lucas on it. This thread has shaped up to be quite useful. Which versions should I d/l, and is it enough to simply avoid anything with "bluray" in the title?

>HD DVD couldn't hold as much data as BD
>4K would have required another format to exist in a world where HD DVD won the format war
>the 4K format war would have ensued just a few years afters the HD DVD/BD format war ended
Thank fuck that shitty format died.

> I know this looks like shit
good

>have u ever seen a forest look like that
Yeah, today. It's spring.

Needs more lens flare

If you invert the colors, it becomes even more apparent how sparse the palette is.

All dat rim lighting. Guy's a genius.

can't they afford more colors?

Ensemble movies are gay.

I hate retards who think every film should have neutral color grading.

The sad thing is that's actually believable. I could see them doing this.

the thing that really bugs me about this movie is that its an exact fucking copy of the previous one with the same plot
>a bunch of normie scientists go to an alien planet and insist on poking the alien and treat it like its a fucking puppy which leads to the entire crew being fucked

>boo hoo, the acting script production design and costuming is fine but the COLOR SATURATION

Literally fuck you. If you don't like Ridley Scott movies, don't go see Ridley Scott movies.

If you don't like cinematographer Dariusz Wolski, don't go see his movies.

Problem solved.

This.

It's a movie, not real life. That's why characters never take a shit, there's always parking closeby, and every character isn't named "Mike Johnson."

Ridley Scott hasn't had a hit since 2000. He's desperate, so is making this and producing the Blade Runner sequel.

Problem is, Aliens > Alien and Ridley doesn't know how to make Aliens, just Alien. Ya dig?

lol it's supposed to be a dark horror sci-fi film

as evident by the picture you posted, dark horror can still work with vibrant colors.

Lol just put a filter to make it a dark horror sci-fi film bro XD

One of the most retarded threads I've ever seen. You don't grade for natural anything, you grade for a dark theater ...whilst in the dark.

> I've never watched a movie before.

Hipster faggot. I bet you bitch at everyone on Instagram who uses a filter.

kek.

I seriously hate modern color grades. don't even get me started on highlight levels and projector foot lamberts. I'll be here all night.

delete this

she looks like her cheeks are slowly falling off her face

I absolutely love the colors he maintained for the prequels (which JJ carried through to TFA). so saturated, so rich.